PDA

View Full Version : Unable to connect to IRC

Kirobaito
09-21-2006, 11:04 PM
Okay, I'm not entirely sure what's going on. Since I moved into college, my connection to IRC was always resetting itself, but for the past few days I haven't been able to connect at all, to any server, using mIRC or jIRC. I'm getting ping timeouts.

[17:01:47] -irc.eyesonff.com- *** Looking up your hostname...
-
[17:01:47] -irc.eyesonff.com- *** Checking ident...
-
[17:01:47] -irc.eyesonff.com- *** Couldn't resolve your hostname; using your IP address instead
-
[17:02:08] -irc.eyesonff.com- *** No ident response; username prefixed with ~
-
[17:02:17] Closing Link: [myipaddress] (Ping timeout)
-
[17:02:17] * Disconnected

I am not entirely sure what to do. I've tried ports 6667-7000, and get the same problem.

o_O
09-22-2006, 05:29 AM
If you're on your college network, it's probably a firewall. It seems strange that you can connect, but then are timing out - shows that the port is not closed/blocking traffic.

Basically, you're being disconnected because your machine isn't getting a response back to the server ping, so the server thinks you aren't there anymore and disconnects you. It's not really that relevant, but can you telnet into the server?

Can other people on the same connection connect? If they can, you're looking at a software issue. Try disabling software firewalls/antivirii and trying again.

You could also try connecting through SSL. mIRC is kind of tricky to get SSL going on sometimes, but it uses a different port range. X-Chat works very well with SSL. I forget what the SSL port is for Aexoden's server, but I think it ends with 7. Ask him or Clout if you want to know it, I guess. :p

EDIT: Maybe the SSL port ends in a 3.

Kirobaito
09-22-2006, 05:53 AM
If you're on your college network, it's probably a firewall. It seems strange that you can connect, but then are timing out - shows that the port is not closed/blocking traffic.

Basically, you're being disconnected because your machine isn't getting a response back to the server ping, so the server thinks you aren't there anymore and disconnects you. It's not really that relevant, but can you telnet into the server?

Can other people on the same connection connect? If they can, you're looking at a software issue. Try disabling software firewalls/antivirii and trying again.

You could also try connecting through SSL. mIRC is kind of tricky to get SSL going on sometimes, but it uses a different port range. X-Chat works very well with SSL. I forget what the SSL port is for Aexoden's server, but I think it ends with 7. Ask him or Clout if you want to know it, I guess. :p

EDIT: Maybe the SSL port ends in a 3.
Yay, XChat works (with SSL, port 6697). I'd rather use mIRC, though, since it's what I'm used to... how would I go about enabling it?

crono_logical
09-22-2006, 07:58 AM
http://www.mirc.co.uk/ssl.html is a nice guide on enabling SSL for mIRC :p

EoFF's server listens on 6697 for SSL, yeah :p

Also, complain to your college ICT department and ask why IRC is blocked - that's something stupid for an educational institute to do since many open source developers communicate using that protocol :p