PDA

View Full Version : Virtua Fighter 5

JKTrix
09-22-2006, 01:58 AM
I'm in Japan right now for vacation and to try to check out the Tokyo Game Show tomorrow. Much to my surprise, there is a small arcade near my hotel that has Virtua Fighter 5.
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f128/JKTrix/Japan/IMG_0063.jpg

The character I use mostly in VF is Kage, the ninja, and I was pleasantly surprised by additions and changes to his character. You can buy this credit card-like thing to store your character profile on, which includes your nickname and whatever customizations you've made to your chosen fighter. This is done through a separate machine called the 'VF Terminal'. Stick the card in, stick 100 yen in, you have a few minutes to make cosmetic changes to your character, as well as edit the special video that represtents your character when you are featured on VF.TV (more on that later).

This pic was taken in the hardcore 'Battle Arena' basement of Club Sega in Shinjuku. You can see VF machines prominently throughout the center and in the background on the right side. I couldn't take any more pics in this arcade, that guy in the red vest in the middle of the pic quickly told me not to take any more pictures.
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f128/JKTrix/Japan/IMG_0099.jpg

VF.TV is a service (not a website) that shows stuff that happens in various arcades around Japan. All of the VF5 machines are hooked up to VF Net via the internet, and if you use your character access card your profile and match information is stored on VF Net's main server. If you have a particularly entertaining battle or use a cool combo, it will be recognized, displayed and even given a full commentary by these little caricatures, complete with multiple slow motion replays and button commands.
In addition, they run tutorial videos for some of the old characters' new moves. For example, when I just arrived at this arcade, they were showing a tutorial video for Kage, showcasing an entirely new stance he has in the game. I had discovered the stance myself when playing the game in the arcade near my hotel, but I had no idea that you could do so much stuff. Well, I had an idea--this is Virtua Fighter, the worlds deepest fighter and all--but I had no clue how to pull any of it off. The video was most informative.

Anyhow, I probably won't be able to use my card again after I leave Japan. Hopefully the PS3 version will allow me to use it, otherwise it'll make a nice addition to my scrap book.

XxSephirothxX
09-22-2006, 02:04 AM
That's pretty nifty. I wish the US still had thriving arcades like Japan. Visiting the arcade was a part of my childhood, but they barely exist anymore. How did you manage (or afford) to travel to Japan from where you live? *Jealous*

Sylvie
09-22-2006, 02:09 AM
You're so lucky to be visiting Japan!! :D

I wish we still had arcades here, it was also one of my childhood memories. In fact, I used to play Virtua Fighter 1 ALL the time there! :)

Rostum
09-22-2006, 03:24 AM
Awesome! Heh, the last arcade I visited was when Street Fighter II was fairly new. Man, was that a long time ago.

Erdrick Holmes
09-22-2006, 03:54 AM
I want a PS3 now! =D

Is Jacky still playable? Is Lion less annoying?