PDA

View Full Version : Metal Gear Solid at TGS 2006

Kawaii Ryűkishi
09-22-2006, 03:58 AM
The Kojima Productions TGS site has gone up (http://www.konami.jp/kojima_pro/tgs_2006), complete with new trailers for Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops and Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots.

The MGS4 trailer is particularly notable for the long-anticipated revelation of actual gameplay footage, which extensively shows off the new camouflage system, controlling Metal Gear Mk-II, and the utilization of the PS3's tilt sensor. And there's naturally an adequate dose of Kojima humor to pad it out--including a subtle reference to a character from MGS1, of all things.

http://www.konami.jp/kojima_pro/tgs_2006

Erdrick Holmes
09-22-2006, 05:13 AM
And there's naturally an adequate dose of Kojima humor to pad it out--including a subtle reference to a character from MGS1, of all things.

Johnny's stomach problems?

Yamaneko
09-22-2006, 05:26 AM
Where's the tilt sensor used?

RiseToFall
09-22-2006, 07:12 AM
Everytime I see this game in motion I go speachless, Kojima went beyond what I was expecting from MGS4.

As for the MGS uno reference, I'm guessing your talking about Vulcan Raven?

Kawaii Ryűkishi
09-22-2006, 08:45 PM
GamesAreFun now has the trailer up for download (http://www.gamesarefun.com/games/ps3/metalgearsolid4/mgs4tgstrailer.avi).
Where's the tilt sensor used?It's presumably the means by which Snake is doing all that fancy rolling around.
As for the MGS uno reference, I'm guessing your talking about Vulcan Raven?Yes.

Mirage
09-22-2006, 09:27 PM
What's the deal with the young-looking snake at the end of the trailer?

Kawaii Ryűkishi
09-22-2006, 09:37 PM
We don't know. That's what makes it interesting.

Mirage
09-22-2006, 09:39 PM
I think that's the first time I've seen you admitting to not knowing something :)

Dreddz
09-22-2006, 10:42 PM
Meh, seeing as this ones going to be on a next gen console, I was hoping for much larger changes to the game. Still looking great, but a disappointment none the less.

Jowy
09-22-2006, 11:38 PM
"If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Kawaii Ryűkishi
09-23-2006, 12:31 AM
I think that's the first time I've seen you admitting to not knowing something :)If I had to hypothesize, I'd say it's an equippable mask for players who don't like Snake's aged appearance, much like how MGS3 had the Raikov mask for people who wanted to pretend they were playing as Raiden. But it remains to be seen whether it'll be a mere Easter egg or actually factor into the story as the Raikov mask did.

Jowy
09-23-2006, 12:33 AM
Knowing Kojima though, it's probably some huge, elaborate story element involving the other Sons of Big Boss.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
09-23-2006, 12:40 AM
Well, a number of the MGS3 trailers had closing scenes that were specifically edited to make it seem like the game was going to take place after MGS2 and that the '60s setting was the result of some memetic VR hijinks. Ever since he misled everyone with MGS2, Kojima seems to be more in the business of mis-misleading.

Jimmy Dark Aeons Slayer
09-23-2006, 01:19 AM
What's the deal with the young-looking snake at the end of the trailer?

Probably some other wacky "Les Enfants Terrible" project...

Yeah i can´t wait to get my hands on MGS4 if always been a fan of it´s concept although snake is pretty old already i don´t like to play with very old characters:(

Yamaneko
09-23-2006, 02:16 AM
I hope they work on the animations in the next year that they have. Many of them look extremely rigid.

Mirage
09-23-2006, 02:25 AM
There was just one particular scene where I though the animations were really weird, and that's when those 3 soldiers were running in a line, without having their heads move vertically at all.

Psychotic
09-23-2006, 02:37 AM
I wasn't really keen on the idea of an urban environment until I saw that video, but now it's looking really good. Still, I'd be very surprised if there isn't an underground base or two.

Maxico
09-23-2006, 11:30 AM
I'm guessing that the young face is just a mode for his fancy ski mask setup.

I could see some grey mullet sticking out of the back beforehand and he never actually takes off the mask.

Otherwise it looks pretty awesome.

I don't see the whole 'joining different sides' thing working without the environments being alot more expansive than before, though.