PDA

View Full Version : This is actually my favorite FF

zimdoomyday
09-22-2006, 05:43 AM
Used to be FF VIII, but this game owned me...hard. Job classs system, simplistic gameplay that is addictive like FF I, and plus, X-Death. The pwnage...the pwnage.

Zeromus_X
09-22-2006, 06:33 AM
Who can resist fighting GIANT TREES?

But yes, I liked FFV. Not one of my favorites, but I still think it's awesome. I guess I never developed the nostalgia for it like the others because it was localized so late (and I only discovered emulation a few short years ago, so...).

Edit: And White Mage Kitties! :cat: :love:

Znake
09-22-2006, 09:05 AM
The game is good, but it will never beat FFIV, I, IX for me. The Job System is fun, but I still prefer the set abilitys. Being able to change your Class anytime makes the game too easy. If your ever having trouble with a boss, you could alway's change the whole party into Samurai's and spam $toss, or if the boss is vunerable to lighting, but not physical attacks, change them to Summoners and use Ramuh. I know you can just not do that, but still the options there. The thing I do like about it, is the music, story, and extra bosses. It's around fifth on my Favourit FF list.

Shin Gouken
09-22-2006, 09:54 AM
The game is good, but it will never beat FFIV, I, IX for me. The Job System is fun, but I still prefer the set abilitys. Being able to change your Class anytime makes the game too easy. If your ever having trouble with a boss, you could alway's change the whole party into Samurai's and spam $toss, or if the boss is vunerable to lighting, but not physical attacks, change them to Summoners and use Ramuh. I know you can just not do that, but still the options there. The thing I do like about it, is the music, story, and extra bosses. It's around fifth on my Favourit FF list.

Its the same with all final fantasies. In VII you just level up alot or multiply your good materia. In VIII you junction lightening magic to all your characters elemental attack on a boss weak against lightening. In X you just go up a dozen sphere levels. Each system is abusable.

FFV was the first final fantasy i ever played and i played it several several times... before i even realised there were other final fantasies out there. Because of this i have apreciation for all the little things in V as well as the obvious things. It will always be top of the list for me because of the hundreds of hours it spent by my side and of course because it was what introduced me to the ff series

Captain Maxx Power
09-22-2006, 12:02 PM
But yes, I liked FFV. Not one of my favorites, but I still think it's awesome. I guess I never developed the nostalgia for it like the others because it was localized so late (and I only discovered emulation a few short years ago, so...).

Says he with the FFV avatar.

FF5's probably not my personal favourite of the series (FF2 is probably still up there), but it's probably in the upper tiers. Then again I've never really ordered my preferred FF's before, nor do I intend to.

BustaMo
09-22-2006, 02:36 PM
FFV is a great game even after so many years past it's release and the advancements that have been made in mroe recent FF games. This is one of my favorites mainly due to the plot-line and the fact that Ex-Death along with kefka, is a main villain that you really have an unwarrented passion to hate in the game. So many times I felt like punching Ex-Death in the throat...it's not even funny.

I am glad though that he will be a summon in FFXII when it's released here.

Sefie1999AD
09-22-2006, 10:19 PM
FFV's highlight, IMHO, is the really addictive job/ability battle system. Because of its great gameplay, FFV holds my current record of playing a game for 17 hours on a row. The fun gameplay is supported with a pretty good storyline, which isn't as great as some other FF stories, but it's still enjoyable and has its good parts. Finally, Cara as a White Mage is awesome. ^^

Crossblades
09-22-2006, 11:23 PM
It's not my favorite FF, but I agree. It is a good game. :)

Zeromus_X
09-23-2006, 04:45 AM

Says he with the FFV avatar.

FF5's probably not my personal favourite of the series (FF2 is probably still up there), but it's probably in the upper tiers. Then again I've never really ordered my preferred FF's before, nor do I intend to.

WHITE MAGE KITTY avatar, Captain :cat:, and I only just thought about it after I read this thread. :p

boys from the dwarf
09-23-2006, 07:42 AM
for storyline and characters it doesn't match up to other FFs but its fun, is great for replaying and is a great game.

Auragaea
09-23-2006, 08:29 PM
FFV is my second favorite FF, followed after VIII.

MJN SEIFER
09-23-2006, 09:25 PM
I say this is probably my favorite "old" FF (Followed by VI) My fvorite "new" one is probly VII.

Slade
09-24-2006, 10:36 AM
I love FFV. It's my favorite of the 2D Final Fantasies and comes third in my list of favorites after FFVIII and FFIX. Isn't it weird that my three favorite FFs are the ones that cop the most crap from fans in the entire series? :D

Bunny
09-24-2006, 02:31 PM
When I first played the game, I disliked it outright. It was boring, the storyline was too simple, and the only saving grace was the class system. However, upon further evaluation (more play time) the game grew on me. It isn't my favorite Final Fantasy, or even in the top three, but it is still a good game.

I still maintain my dislike for X-Death, by far one of the worst villians in Final Fantasy or RPG history.

Sefie1999AD
09-25-2006, 11:26 PM
I also disliked FFV when I started with it. The storyline felt lacking, Exdeath felt like a really lousy villain (one of my fanfics around that time made fun of his personality being nothing but saying "Fools! Fwahahaha!") and I hadn't got into the battle system yet. However, when I got to play the game more and got more interested in it, I started to like it a lot. Back then, I put my fanfic on hold for a while until I beat FFV since I wanted to know more of FFV's story to be able to write about it. I'm glad I did so because FFV eventually turned out to be a lot of fun. I think it's my 4th favorite FF at the moment.

Bolivar
10-08-2006, 09:51 PM
possibly my favorite 2D FF, it's a tossup between that and VI I think. The Job system was real great, there's so many to learn that it never really gets boring, you can pick one of the more obscure ones like Trainer or Hunter (blood swords!) if you get bored with the main ones.

I thougt the storyline was really good, and I liked X-Death more than Kefka. He's a black mage, not a clown. The whole legend of the Dawn Warriors was real great too, I really liked Kelga.

I'm probably gonna hit this game up again once I'm done w/ XII and III DS.

eestlinc
10-08-2006, 10:09 PM
this is my favorite FF game. can't wait for GBA version.

rubah
10-09-2006, 10:11 PM
Perhaps it is because its storyline is not overconvoluted that this game is a dream to play through again and again. Because you focus on the job system and the battles, each playthrough can be more massively different than those in other games.

I really like ff5. It's probably my third favorite (after 8 and 10)

Sefie1999AD
10-10-2006, 10:06 PM
You're right in a way that when you replay the game, the focus is more on the gameplay than the storyline, at least for me. This is an advantage for FFV because of the battle system, and the way you can have so many different class combinations. However, I still think the storyline is pretty good in the game, especially when you replay the game. I noticed a lot more depth in the story on my second game.

Elpizo
10-11-2006, 06:55 AM
V is the best SNES FF, IMHO. Stands with FF III on the third place in my list. They are so great but IX and VIII just gave me something more.

This GBA FF is a MUST for everybody who calls himself a FF fan. Those who refuse to buy it don't know what they miss.

This game also has my second fav. Final Boss: NeoExDeath ^^ Long live Grand Cross. :rolleyes2 But seriously, NeoExDeath just has a owning background... Now if I just could beat Gilgamesh at the Big Bridge, I would be able to continue my path to NeoExDeath, but our Big-Bridge-music-man keeps kicking my behind with Jump. :mad:

Oh yeah, ExDeath is a great villain too. I hope you gusy know he was liek the fundament Kefka and all other insane villaisn were build on. Besides, "Evil lord ExDeath" just sounds great. And, who can't forget his battle with a certain heroic character?

Yeah, this game is really one of the best in the series. Sometimes, I can't understand the hate some people give it...

eestlinc
10-11-2006, 07:49 AM
I find the convoluted storylines in games like ff4 and ff6 to be overly simplistic and cheesy. Those "great" stories detract from the game because I have to spend time reading through all that crap between actual gameplay moments. ff5 does not have this problem.