PDA

View Full Version : Some damn thing on the Taskbar

Strider
09-22-2006, 06:43 PM
Yeah, so I've got some damn thing that shows up on my taskbar with a balloon that says to download some antivirus software. Anyone have any ideas on how to get rid of it?

edczxcvbnm
09-22-2006, 07:11 PM
I assume you mean notification area on the taskbar.

goto run and run the following

msconfig

Click on the startup tab and choose what you wish to disable at startup. That should solve the problem but this is more likely a spyware/adware/virus/trojan problem so I recommend you get some software to take care of it.

Strider
09-22-2006, 07:31 PM
I've got like... Spy Sweeper and a couple other things, and none of 'em are taking care of it. :mad:

And oh, yeah, I have no idea which one to disable, either.

edczxcvbnm
09-22-2006, 07:42 PM
I can't help you on that one. You have to go online and look up the start up items to see which ones to disable.

You can usually type in whatever the startup item is into a search engine and get the results you are looking for...or the exe name in the command.

It is some good ol' research on your part now.

Shoeberto
09-22-2006, 08:28 PM
Is it the Microsoft Security Center? That tends to nag you if you don't have an AV installed. If it is, just go to Control Panel > Security Center, then click on the thing on the left that says "Change the way Security Center alerts me."

There's also a chance it's malware, which could be a pain, but try what I said first.

edczxcvbnm
09-22-2006, 09:35 PM
Good though Hsu. It has been ages since I have seen anything related to MS security center. I was thinking those pop ups that warn you that you have viruses and that you need to go get some software to get rid of it...but now as some BS installed on the PC.