PDA

View Full Version : my challenge.

boys from the dwarf
09-22-2006, 09:30 PM
ive started a solo yuffie challenge. ive just got yuffie so my challenge has only just begun. shes on level 17 and im at fort condor. i'll need to get a good limit break to defeat bottomswell before he uses that bubble cage.

i have two rules.

1. only one counter attack materia.
2. no KoTR.

if there are any more you think i need, let me know. ive taken other things times where you need to use barret or another character into consideration.

why yuffie? shes a good character and one of the ones ive neglected the most having never really used her and barely even bothered getting her. i could have done cait sith or cid but,

1. zeromus_X is doing a solo cait sith challenge.
2. you get cid and cait sith later on in the game than yuffie.
3. i think ive paid more attention to cait sith and cid than yuffie.

im also trying to get the yuffie date scene at the GS. ive been successful in being called a jerk by aeris so i think i'll be able to see that scene. ive only ever seen the tifa date scene.

anyway i'll keep you updated. i'd appreciate warnings on bosses that have things like instant kill attacks or cage attacks or petrify E.C.T just in case i overlook them. and id just like your help and support in general.

just one question.

when you upgrade the steal materia to mug, does mug do the same amount of damage as normal attacks because i have a feeling that steal will be useful but if mug isn't perticularly good, i'll just equip steal when i want to.

later dudes. i'll keep this updated.

cloud21zidane16
09-22-2006, 09:42 PM
hmm cant remember about the steal/mug part but anyway good luck in your challenge

Goldenboko
09-22-2006, 09:56 PM
Try beating Ruby and Emerald with her too! (Also if you try that... no Final Attack Phenoix.)

TheSpoonyBard
09-23-2006, 12:10 AM
when you upgrade the steal materia to mug, does mug do the same amount of damage as normal attacks[?]
Yes, Mug has the same power as a normal Attack.

boys from the dwarf
09-23-2006, 08:04 AM
thanks. its just ive never actually tried to get mug before. i know i can do this challenge. perhaps i will try to beat emerald and ruby. i'll let myself have KoTR for those battles though. i might do a no final attack and phoenix rule. the only time ill ever use final attack+phoenix is if there is a boss with an instant death attack or something. but then id have to kill of the other two characters that are revived by phoenix. anyway. im going to play the game soon so i'll keep you updated.

TheSpoonyBard
09-23-2006, 11:26 AM
Use Final Attack=Revive, then it'll only revive one character. Ruby absorbs Fire damage anyway.

boys from the dwarf
09-23-2006, 06:30 PM
yeah. id thought about revive. im going to use bloodfest on bottomswell then level 2 fire spells to see if that beats it fast enough but if i need to level up too much i'll revive someone. because if i level up to level 25 just to beat bottomswell, it will make the rest of the challenge easy and a considerable amount more boring and that would almost definetly be the only time id have to revive someone. i'll see how the fight goes but im sure you'll understand if i revive someone. like i said. i have a good excuse and it'll be the only time.

EDIT: i beat bottomswell. i didn't even need bloodfest. i just summoned the chocobo and casted bio until it died. for some reason it didn't use the bubble trap attack. i think its something to do with me only using one character. anyway. im sure this will be a challenging and fun challenge in a lot of later parts of the game.

there is an advantage and a downside to using one character.

the advantage: you get to equip all the best materia on one character.

the disadvantage: you need to pick the materia wisely because to dont have enough space to equip everything.

TheSpoonyBard
09-23-2006, 09:15 PM
for some reason it didn't use the bubble trap attack. i think its something to do with me only using one character.
I've just remembered that Bottomswell doesn't use Waterpolo if you've only got one character alive. He's weak against Wind, so Choco/Mog=Elemental would've been useful on your weapon, but you've already defeated him.

Good luck with the rest of the challenge. Don't forget to steal a Shinra Beta from the Marines on the Cargo Ship. That'll give you a bit more defence and an extra materia slot.

f f freak
09-23-2006, 09:24 PM
Be careful against Jenova. It likes to use Stop a LOT!!!!
I tried a Tifa only challenge once. You just have to beat Jenova really fast. If you have bloodfest already you should be okay. Try to cast shiva and choco mog straight away to inflict roughly 1200 damage. and watch out for tail laser.

(Sorry this fight was reasonably difficult when I played with just Tifa)

boys from the dwarf
09-23-2006, 10:22 PM
i already did all of those things (apart from elemaental-choco/mog.) i decided not to sacrifice the magic defence for the extra materia place on the shinra beta.

did you complete your tifa challenge?

for the jenova fight i put yuffie in the back roe so jenovas attacks only did about 80 damage and when jenova used stop i tried to stay on as high HP as i could and i selected cure during the stop casting animation. that way, when stop wears off i heal up to full health and then use bloodfest. i beat jenova on level 19 on my second try (i was careless on the first try.).

right now im in corel prison and i'm on level 20. the only boss im dreading right now is the materia keeper. i think choco/mog will be useful for that battle. the dyne fight is easy so even though barret isn't as high a level as yuffie, i'll manage.

TheSpoonyBard
09-23-2006, 10:24 PM
A bug in the game means that the armour's MDef isn't included in battle calculations. The only thing that affects defence against magical attacks is the character's Spirit stat. Go with the Shinra Beta.

f f freak
09-23-2006, 11:24 PM
Yes I did complete the tifa challenge. It was damn hard though. If you were able to beat Jenova most of the other battles should be a breeze. The turks may give you some trouble. Tifa was on a limit break every other turn on my tifa challenge. I only equipped her with Cure magic so she had quite high HP.

boys from the dwarf
09-24-2006, 09:23 AM
yeah. i think the turk battles will be fun with just one character. thanks for your help too endless. (so you finally got sick of being called ET? :D)

anyway. i'll start with the desert prison soon.

EDIT: o.k. ive just beaten reno and rude in gongaga. this was probably the hardest battle yet but still nothing too hard. i was a little careless the first time and forgot how powerful and dangerous reno's turk light attack is. i used fire 2 and the gauntlet limit break but most of the time i was healing. i uses choco/mog to stun them both to get in some good free hits and i eventually won.

Captain Maxx Power
09-24-2006, 03:23 PM
You could probably do a low-level Yuffie only game due to the Conformer. Of course everything up until then will be very tedious.

boys from the dwarf
09-24-2006, 04:08 PM
i could but id prefer challenges more based on skill than luck. challenges where your on very low HP and depend on the enemy not using a certain move are usually frustrating and i dont see much point. no offence to niks challenges because i can see some reason for that challenge. im at the same place in my challenge. no real hard parts yet.

Rydia Forever
09-27-2006, 11:16 PM
Any new progress? Well, good luck! Your going to need it. ;)

boys from the dwarf
09-28-2006, 06:43 AM
ive completed the sidequest where yuffie steals your materia and im about to fight godo. i lost the battle on my first try because i didn't know that godo could use trine.

the materia keeper was easier than i thought. i just kept HP high, occasionally used doom of the living and used choco/mog to stun it.

currently, my yuffie is at level 29. ive not been training up at all. ive just gone through the game without running away from battles.

f f freak
09-28-2006, 09:56 PM
Palmer should be a breeze. Use choco/mog and then just use normal attacks and a limit break if you get on one.

Carl the Llama
09-29-2006, 12:04 AM
This seems like a great challenge (somthing iv been meaning to do, so im going to do a Yuffie challenge aswell... let me know how you get on with the Demon Wall (that is probbly going to be the toughest battle on disk 1)

boys from the dwarf
09-30-2006, 11:17 AM
just beaten demon gate. i got my HP high enough so that if its normal attack hit me with a critical hit when im on full health i can only just survive it. it took a few tries to get the strategy right but using all creation a couple of times and bahamut and a couple of other attacks, finished it. i used haste. if it wasn't for haste i'd still be fighting demon gate. yuffies on level 33. this was a tough boss. ive got a good materia and equipment setup so things are going pretty fine. off to the vity of the ancients next.

ive got

restore- with cure 2
fire- with fire 2
lighning- with bolt 2
time- with haste
bio- with bio 2
quake- with quake 2
enemy skill- with "trine" "frog song" "????" and "matra magic." i probably have one or two more.
HP plus- +10%
throw
bahamut- level 1.

thats what i have equipped.

i have the dragon armlet and the razor ring.

i'll keep you updated.

Jimmy Dark Aeons Slayer
09-30-2006, 11:49 AM
I think it will be near the Great Glacier where youŽll start to have trouble i have also re-started a game myself but iŽm using all characthers to try new sets of materia and such.

Good luck!

boys from the dwarf
09-30-2006, 06:50 PM
yeah. disk 2 wi'll be when my challenge starts. i was just thinking about those ice cave things.

your doing what i've done.

on playthrough no.1 you just play through normally and do what seems best.

on playthrough number 2 you use different materia and characters to experiment

and on playthrough 3, well you either do a challenge like me or something else.

everythings fine so far. jenova life should be easy as long as i watch out for aqualung.

f f freak
09-30-2006, 09:12 PM
Water ring will let you get around Jenova-life. You can equip whatever materia you like for this fight because Jenova-life only uses water attacks and with Water ring equipped you will not be harmed. Comet and Bahamut will be the best materias for this fight.

boys from the dwarf
10-01-2006, 04:15 PM
i have a problem. when i have the water ring equipped, jenova doesn't use aqualung. i waited for jenova to use it for about 10 minutes and eventually it said something like "jenova-LIFE has ran out of skill power"
i have about 1500 HP and aqualung does 1550 damage. so i'll have to unequip some materia so i can survive aqualung and learn it as an enemy skill.

Zeromus_X
10-01-2006, 04:32 PM
I remember it using Aqualung on me several times, and KS definitely had the Water Ring equipped. Maybe it just never used it? :cat: :confused:

Goldenboko
10-01-2006, 04:37 PM
Hmm... I too remember using the Aqua Ring...

TheSpoonyBard
10-01-2006, 04:56 PM
I know you can't access it just now, but you can learn Aqualung from Harpy on the Gold Saucer chocobo tracks and Serpent in the Sunken Gelnika.

boys from the dwarf
10-01-2006, 06:44 PM
its seems to be a lot about luck. on my first fight against jenova she used it on the first try and killed me. on the second try she ran out of power and didn't use aqualung. on my third try, i didn't have the water ring equipped and she still didn't use aqualung. i'll carry on trying but i may just learn it from a harpy or serpent. aqualung is a very useful ability so i'll keep on trying to get it from jenova.

TheSpoonyBard
10-01-2006, 07:40 PM
Aqualung is reflectable, so if you set that up before it is used, you'll be able to survive it. Just be aware that Jenova LIFE casts Reflect on itself as a counter for any magical attacks against it. Luckily, Comet cannot be reflected.

The Mad Dragons
10-01-2006, 07:52 PM
Can't you just Despell the reflect(my apologies if its' a noobish question. I haven't actually played all the way through the game due to having a lack of it which I am trying remedy)

TheSpoonyBard
10-01-2006, 07:56 PM
Yes, you can. DeBarrier would work as well.

The Mad Dragons
10-01-2006, 07:58 PM
Wht would the chances of reflect being casted again?

TheSpoonyBard
10-01-2006, 08:00 PM
Reflect would be cast again as soon as a magical attack is used.

The Mad Dragons
10-01-2006, 08:05 PM
What about casting reflect on Jenova LIFE, then casting a magic spell, would that not counter her casting Reflect?

Or, casting reflect on one of your own, then casting a magic attack against your own to be reflected onto her, since a magic spell can only be reflected the first time, Jenova's reflect wouldn't work.

TheSpoonyBard
10-01-2006, 08:12 PM
Jenova will only cast Reflect as a counter if it doesn't already have the Reflect status.

If both you and it have Reflect, the spell will bounce four times before penetrating Reflect. So if you cast it on yourself, it will eventually come back and damage you. If both of you have Reflect, cast it on Jenova.

The Mad Dragons
10-01-2006, 08:17 PM
4 times? When did they change the effect of reflect because in FFX, once the reflect is bounced off, it will hit the opponent with reflect.

f f freak
10-01-2006, 09:43 PM
BFTD if you are trying to get aqualung just wait. I got it later on in my tifa challenge. Just equip the water ring. It only uses water attacks so it can't hurt you.

Cruise Control
10-02-2006, 02:53 AM
I reccomend a Wizard Armlet.

Skyblade
10-02-2006, 03:37 AM
You can get a lot of the powerful Enemy Skills early by preparing for the battles. I always get Beta before I go through the Mithril Mines, by using the Elemental + Fire combination, and forcing the Midgar Zolom's attacks. You can get Aqualung before you enter the Golden Saucer, by hugging the east side of the Golden Saucer desert area. With spells like those, you won't need KotR, and they're a lot cheaper MP wise too.

Mirage
10-02-2006, 05:37 AM
This seems like an easy challenge. Yuffie has a long range weapon and also has one of the best ultimate weapons in the game.
I also think the "only one counter attack materia" was kinda redundant. It's not like you'd need more than that anyway.

I'm pretty sure only DeBarrier can remove Reflect.

boys from the dwarf
10-02-2006, 07:11 AM
meh. i didn't do this challenge as one of those hyper near impossible challenges. i just did it for fun and because i've never really used yuffie before.

TheSpoonyBard
10-02-2006, 12:51 PM

I'm pretty sure only DeBarrier can remove Reflect.
DeBarrier removes Barrier, MBarrier, Reflect and Shield.
Despell removes Barrier, Death Force, Haste, MBarrier, Regen, Reflect, Resist, Shield, Slow and Stop.

Adamant Barrage
10-03-2006, 10:54 PM
You don't have to worry about that, Bottomswell wil never use Waterball if there is only one target to choose from.
Mug
Physical Attack
Formula: Physical
Pwr: 1x Base
PAt%: Weapon At%
Tar: 1 Op/All Op
Elm: As Weapon
Attempts to steal an item from the targetted enemy
Goes through all items that the target has in turn
Success Formula is as follows:
LvlDiff = 40 + Attacker's Level - Target's Level
If Sneak Glove is equipped, LvlDiff is capped at 100 minimum
LvlFactor = [512 * LvlDiff / 100]
Base Chance = Item Chance * LvlFactor / 256
If (Rnd(0..63) <= Base Chance): Stop here, WIN ITEM!
In other words, It does the same as a regular attack.

boys from the dwarf
10-04-2006, 05:52 PM
this challenge isn't really that hard and im not really going to update this unless i actually get past a hard part. ive beaten jenova-DEATH and everythings going fine. schizo was tough but wasn't too bad. it took me 2 tries.

i guess i might try a solo weapons thing. i've never actually found the time to beat the weapons before because of all of that preparation but i guess i will someday.

vweet
10-13-2006, 07:44 AM
i'm pretty sure you can't dispell reflect unless you have it on you and you cast dispell on yourself to get them

vweet
10-13-2006, 07:45 AM
sorry haven't seen the recent posts

boys from the dwarf
11-11-2006, 12:29 PM
there haven't been any updates because i've been busy completing FF6.

i've finally beaten all of the FFs i own. now its just FF3 and FFTA when i find a way to play it.

i've completed it now so i can resume my solo yuffie challenge.

i cant peritcularly remember where i am but i've either got the airship or im nearly at that point.

im ordering FF7:DOC on the 17th of november so i might not complete this challenge by the time the game arrives but i will complete this challenge.