PDA

View Full Version : Baby dies in Bucket of Mom's Vomit

The Devil Man
09-22-2006, 11:57 PM
I can't think of anything I've read that's knocked me out more this year.

Here's the Link: (Source: Associated Press)

http://www.breitbart.com/news/2006/09/22/D8KA41080.html

And this is the Article:

New York:

A baby died after rolling off a bed and falling into a bucket of her teenage mother's vomit at a homeless shelter, police said.

The mother, Savarin DeJesus, 18, was charged with criminally negligent homicide and endangering the welfare of a child, and could get five years behind bars.

The young woman trembled and wept as she faced a judge Friday. "I loved my baby. I want you to know that," she said.

Authorities said DeJesus spent the evening of Sept. 15 downing gin and smoking cigarettes and then returned before dawn to the shelter where she lived with the 4-month old girl, Niah. DeJesus threw up into a bucket of cleaning solution next to her bed, then passed out on the bed, clutching Niah's legs, authorities said.

When she awoke about 10 hours later, she found the baby with her head in the bucket, which contained about six inches of liquid, according to court papers.

The cause of death was either asphyxiation or drowning, the medical examiner's office said.

DeJesus "loved her baby and would never hurt her," said her lawyer, Kenneth Gilbert.

The city's Department of Homeless Services said it was trying to determine if the East Harlem shelter had a crib.

Levian
09-23-2006, 12:02 AM
Ah, that's just sad, and really irresponsible. Getting drunk like that without a babysitter.

I'd probably make fun of her name if this wasn't this sad.

oddler
09-23-2006, 12:04 AM
Freaking twisted fate. Let's hear something good for a change...

Dynast-Kid
09-23-2006, 12:04 AM
That's awful.

KentaRawr!
09-23-2006, 12:15 AM
I find it odd that she's on trial NOW. I mean, you can't exactly blame her for the child's death. It was a cruel twist of fate that the baby's head fell directly in that bucket. And of course, she's not on trial for the Baby's death, but for neglecting it. So why wasn't she on trial before? o.o

Of course, to answer my own question, it is probably because now it is more apparent. But during the trial, I think the death of the baby is going to come up more than it should. :(

As for what I think of the baby's death... truly sad. I can't even begin to imagine having something I loved out of instinct for 4 months being found dead next to me in a bucket of my own vomit. Truly sad. :cry:

Note: I'm NOT trying to make fun of the death with that last part.

Evastio
09-23-2006, 12:21 AM
I can't believe they're arresting her for killing her child unintentionally. :(

roxy
09-23-2006, 12:23 AM
Thats sad :(

Jowy
09-23-2006, 12:28 AM
That is the most disgusting example of parenting I have ever heard of.

KentaRawr!
09-23-2006, 12:28 AM
I can't believe they're arresting her for killing her child unintentionally. :(

It's not really for the death of the child. Rather, her neglection of the child became apparent because of the child's death. No one would know about her getting drunk and barfing in the bucket if the baby DIDN'T die.

Edit:

That is the most disgusting example of parenting I have ever heard of.

There's most definitely been worse. Even if the woman was irresponsible, she at least had love for her child. Some parents simply despise their children, and abuse them lots. >_< The reason we don't hear about it much on the news is probably because it's well hidden by the parent. However, you did say the most disgusting example that YOU'VE heard of, so this may or may not apply to you. And even with what I said, this doesn't eliminate the fact that this parent was very irresponsible at that time.

Venom
09-23-2006, 12:30 AM
Words cant even sum up the disgust I feel right now.

My_car_is_faster_than_you
09-23-2006, 12:37 AM
I can't imagine what it was like for the baby. Oohhh, just thinking about it makes me want to make my own bucket of puke.

Hambone
09-23-2006, 12:42 AM
That scares me and makes me glad I don't puke.

Madame Adequate
09-23-2006, 12:45 AM
This is so insane my only instinct is to laugh my ass off.

Psychotic
09-23-2006, 01:20 AM
What a way to die.

I Took the Red Pill
09-23-2006, 01:21 AM
Thank you for posting this Devil Man.

Jojee
09-23-2006, 01:35 AM
My friend knew someone who had a baby and the dad was sleeping with the baby (I dunno why it wasn't in a crib or whatever) but then he rolled over in the middle of the night and crushed the baby :( They were really young parents too, like teenagers. Stories like this are sad.

Sylvie
09-23-2006, 02:28 AM
Wonderful.

Shiny
09-23-2006, 03:59 AM
I saw this on the tele and turned it off, because the news doesn't do stories like "a healthy baby was born today". Just all bad stuff and most of it isn't even interesting.

starseeker
09-23-2006, 08:57 AM
I just see this as a cruel twist of fate. If the bucket was full of water for cleaning the floor, the effects may have been different.

Nominus Experse
09-23-2006, 09:01 AM
It would be something to talk about in heaven or hell, though, however gross the fate may be.

I feel bad for the mother - I can't imagine the guilt and self-chastisement she must be under...