PDA

View Full Version : VII & X?

Mr. Lawl
09-23-2006, 08:37 AM
Well, I've seen this topic floating around in a few places, and it somewhat bugs me. What is the connection between FF VII and FF X? Is there a connection? I mean, I personally see many things that are similar in both titles, moreso than others in the series. Hopefully people don't try to kill me for being newbish... :rolleyes2 We shall see...

Anyway, please, if anyone feels like discussing this (or just posting the evidence) I would very much appreciate it.

Thanks in advance,
Mr. Lawl

Aqua Heart
09-23-2006, 01:04 PM
i know this has been discussed many times in the past, i suggest using the search tool man

aquatius
09-23-2006, 01:10 PM
Maybe the futuristicality of them?

Zechs
09-25-2006, 04:08 AM
The themes mainly. Their theme is Life, and the references used for that theme is similare for both.

boys from the dwarf
09-25-2006, 07:34 AM
its a reference and a similarity. nothing more.

LunarWeaver
09-25-2006, 07:38 AM
I think it's just something that Shinra says about powering the planet with energy or some such, and something that a developer said about wanting to connect them. I don't really know what it's all about though.

RiseToFall
09-25-2006, 07:56 AM
Well, I've seen this topic floating around in a few places, and it somewhat bugs me. What is the connection between FF VII and FF X? Is there a connection? I mean, I personally see many things that are similar in both titles, moreso than others in the series. Hopefully people don't try to kill me for being newbish... :rolleyes2 We shall see...

Anyway, please, if anyone feels like discussing this (or just posting the evidence) I would very much appreciate it.

Thanks in advance,
Mr. Lawl

I think it's just something that Shinra says about powering the planet with energy or some such, and something that a developer said about wanting to connect them. I don't really know what it's all about though.

Like someone said before, it's just a reference that's all. There are really no connections between the Final Fantasy games, expect X and X-2. So please people quit making these types of threads.

LunarWeaver
09-25-2006, 08:23 AM
There are droplets of conversation that the two may be connected, and he wanted to know if there was any weight to the rumor. I know that there is no solid connection between the two, but I don't think asking is a crime.

Bolivar
09-27-2006, 12:04 AM

Thanks in advance,
Mr. Lawl

Like someone said before, it's just a reference that's all. There are really no connections between the Final Fantasy games, expect X and X-2. So please people quit making these types of threads.

wrong.

Kitase and Nomura confirm in the X-2 Ultimania thing that there is a connection, to be possibly hashed out further in the future.

And to the threadstarter - alot of the games in the series have a similar connection with another title. you'll see it as you play through the rest of the series.

bipper
10-05-2006, 06:42 PM
RYU knows a lot on this subject. Ryushizake I think.

XandrewX
10-05-2006, 07:15 PM
They have the same concepts of people who dies will have to return back to where a place...FF7 is Lifestream...and FF10 is...Fayth...I guess...

Goldenboko
10-05-2006, 08:17 PM
The only real connection I ever made ingame was that Sin reminded me alot of the weapons when they where talking about him being a punishment for using machina
[spoiler]then I found out Yu-Yevon was actually just summoning him so the connection dissappeared, unless he some how survived and summoned the weapons[spoiler] but we all know that didn't happen.

Or did it (dun dun dah!) :P

Ryushikaze
10-06-2006, 12:21 AM
FFX/-2 and FF7/spinoffs share continuity. This is official, and we know it is official because not only did Nojima say "yes, I wrote 10 and -2 with the concept of continuity of mind", but Nomura and all the other bigwigs have echoed this statement and placed it into the FF7 UOG.

How is not as well known. What we do know is that Shinra, as is revealed in the 'rin did it' ending of the rampaging machina subquest, was interested in the potential of the lifestream, specifically as an energy source. We know from Nojima that after the game, Shinra takes Vegnagun, and attempts to reverse engineer it into a conversion unit (after stripping out its mind, I presume), but fails in doing so. The idea of making an energy unit of this type becomes a massive brainbug of his descendants, so much so that it survives at least two thousand years and an interplanetary colonization in which spirans succesfully migrate to Gaia and (presumably) interbreed with the cetra- which is a logistical nightmare from a genetic standpoint, either requiring an effective miracle, or a separate seed locale for both races, but I digress- In any case, eventually, they finally hit upon this miracle energy source 30 years prior to FF7, and start sucking it up like crazy, since they've slowly become less and less like the innocent Shinra, and more like the President and Rufus. Also, The Sierra is based off technology that Cid excavated, and which is apparently part of what the Spirans brought with them in the move, and lost for whatever (*cough*Jenova*cough*) reason.

I cannot actually tell you anything more than that about the connection, but I can tell you there was a definite attempt to have cinematic similarities between the two, such as the Midgar intro pan and the bevelle dungeons.

Now, I do have some theories about the connection, such as connections between Yu-Yevon and Jenova, and a 'personal druther' with a direct line of descent between Cids. Also a 'druther' descent between Tidus and Cloud, if his unusual circumstances allow him to reproduce (he is technically shinentai, after all).

Anyways, the answers in short
Continuity between 7 and 10?: Yes. 10 leads into 7.
Same planet?: No.
Fully fleshed out?: Not as yet, but Nojima thinks the idea is worth coming back to somewhere along the line.
And no, the ronzo cannot be the ancestors of Nanaki, though it's possible they have a common ancestor on the 'same seed' theory.

Addendum:The only other FFs with a connection as firmly established as 7 and 10 are 5 and its sequel, the OAV legend of the crystals, which takes place 1000 years after and only shares one character in common as a ghost. Also one of the crystals, which takes up residence in one of Lenne's descendant's heiny. I'm not making that up.

Renmiri
10-06-2006, 01:31 PM

Ryu Kaze at Wikipedia. He speaks japanese and is a big FF fan. He translated SE's Ultimania guide interviews where the link is discussed.
EDIT: And apparently our EoFF Ryushikaze does too :D Well done Ryu #2 !!!

Here's the "evidence":

- On VII we have "Mako" and "Materia" which energize machines, just like Pyreflies and spheres (of pyreflies) do in X.
- On X2 Shinra tells YRP about using the Farplane energy to power a city. If you get Rin as the culprit on the Mi'hen Road mystery he also talks about it: He is funding Shinra's research on harnessing the energy of Pyreflies. Shinra has a piece of Vegnagun (which apparently used Spira's energy as "fuel")
- On X2's Ultimania guide there is an interview with Nojima (not translated by Ryu, translated 2-3 years ago by some other guy) where he says X and X2 are "ancestors" of VII. But Spira is not VII's planet, somehow Spirans left to colonize other planets and found Gaia, where VII takes place
- On VII's (or X, can't remember) Ultimania guide there is another interview, translated recently by Ryu Kaze where yet another SE bigwig mentions the connection.

And finallly, there's this article in EoFF Wiki, which goes into detail on the similarity between ALL the FF games, in reference to pyreflies and memories
http://www.eyesonff.com/members/wiki/Main/SpiritEnergyAndMemoriesTheMagicOfFinalFantasy

Mr. Lawl
10-06-2006, 04:26 PM
Thanks Ryushikaze, that helps a lot. Oh, and, by the way, you shouldn't get angry with people when they post a qeustion like this(not directed at Ryu), because I honestly didn't know the answer, and that is the point of the forums, is it not? To ask questions that you don't know the answers to, and to discuss those answers you do? Anyway, thanks all who helped, now I know the answer.

Mr. Lawl

Bolivar
10-06-2006, 04:46 PM
alot of interesting stuff, it'll be interesting to see how SE meshes out connections between the games in the future.

Ryushikaze
10-06-2006, 06:13 PM

Ryu Kaze at Wikipedia. He speaks japanese and is a big FF fan. He translated SE's Ultimania guide interviews where the link is discussed.
EDIT: And apparently our EoFF Ryushikaze does too :D Well done Ryu #2 !!!

Pretty sure I'm #1, at least chronologically. I've been using this SN for well over seven years now.

bipper
10-06-2006, 06:41 PM
You're always #1 in my book man! (Save for when you try squashing me with said book :()

RiseToFall
10-06-2006, 06:54 PM
Thanks Ryushikaze, that helps a lot. Oh, and, by the way, you shouldn't get angry with people when they post a qeustion like this(not directed at Ryu), because I honestly didn't know the answer, and that is the point of the forums, is it not? To ask questions that you don't know the answers to, and to discuss those answers you do? Anyway, thanks all who helped, now I know the answer.

Mr. Lawl

Hey I wasn't in any way trying to be hostile towards your thread. It's just that in the other sections people keep thinking that everything in Final Fantasy is connected. VIII to IX, Advent Children to VIII, you get the idea. But since for your thread people actually say that their is a connection between the two, then I give you a :thumb: for making it.

Mr. Lawl
10-07-2006, 02:15 AM
Oh don't worry about it RiseToFall... I posted my reply during school, plus I was kind of having a bad day. I understand, though. That is the tricky thing about online communication, sometimes it's hard to tell how some one is saying something.

On a side note, I've been playing games in the Final Fantasy series for quite a while now, so I'm not new to them. What I'm trying to say is, I'm not going to post something unless I'm sure that what I'm posting has some sort of validity, as in some one said something (in this instance Nojima and Nomura), or I saw an article somewhere but didn't get a chance to actually read it. Something like that, anyway.

Ahh... I look like a jerk, I hope no one hates me now... :cry:

Mr. Lawl

Renmiri
10-07-2006, 01:30 PM
Pretty sure I'm #1, at least chronologically. I've been using this SN for well over seven years now.

My mistake then.

Well done Ryu #1!! :love:

blackmage_nuke
10-07-2006, 04:04 PM
Secretly the entire final fantasy series revolves completely around Biggs and Wedge ;)

Renmiri
10-07-2006, 06:58 PM
Secretly the entire final fantasy series revolves completely around Biggs and Wedge ;)

Quoted for truth! But you forgot the black mages :D

Laddy
10-09-2006, 11:27 PM
About the same planet......... I looked at the world map for both games...and FFVII's looks like it split off into several directions...split off...of FFX's world...

Ryushikaze
10-10-2006, 02:51 AM
About the same planet......... I looked at the world map for both games...and FFVII's looks like it split off into several directions...split off...of FFX's world...

Could never work. FFX's 'world' is best estimated as the size of a small country and is by no means sufficient to result in the many continents of FF7.

Laddy
10-10-2006, 04:16 AM
OR!!! Small...country.... they are the same world!

Ryushikaze
10-10-2006, 06:21 AM
No. They are not. Smegging read the rest of the thread.

And even if they WERE of comparable size, Spira still cannot account for Gaia's continents.

bipper
10-10-2006, 02:37 PM
Such logic for a game where one can sommon earth using 'magic' or condenced knowlage in the form of a radioactive rock? :D

There we have it. They summoned more land when they ran out. :)

Laddy
10-10-2006, 07:17 PM
I just know there is SOME sort of connection other than references to the other worlds...

Ryushikaze
10-10-2006, 09:34 PM
Yes, and I have already detailed what that connection is. Did you even read the thread?