PDA

View Full Version : Favourite Non-Final Fantasy RPG's

The Devil Man
09-23-2006, 10:28 AM
Okay, this Poll is about a couple of things. I'd like to know what people's favourite non-Final Fantasy RPG's are. I think it's very obvious we're all big Final Fantasy fans and we love the games. But we also play different RPG's too.

And maybe we could recommend some RPG games to one another while we wait for the latest Final Fantasy to come out.

Now about my Poll. As you can see, it isn't quite 'definitive' and it's not supposed to be. They were just the main RPG games I could think of and in the case where there is more then one game in the series, I just put the actual series down instead. This might annoy some of you. For example, Suikoden 3 (I think) is regarded as the best in the series and Atelier Iris 2 is not as good as the first game. However, I'm going on the assumption that if you've played one game in the series, you'll play all the games so that you can appreciate the whole story. One thing I've learnt from being on this Forum is that most of you guys love your stories. So I figured if you love one game, you'll love them all.

The only exception is Tales of Symphonia. As you know, Namco have made a lot of 'Tales' games and they are all of variable quality. Some are very average to say the least, some are okay and some are excellent. I chose Tales of Symphonia as that is regarded as the best in the series. Also, the Tales games have seperate stories and are not connected so you dont have to play the whole series to understand the plot.

Another point to mention. The Legend of Zelda. This might, again, annoy some of you because some don't really regard it as an RPG as much as they think of it as an 'Adventure' title. However, as it has been pitched as an RPG for a long time, it actually introduced me to the world of RPG's and made me explore further and discover games like Grandia and Skies of Arcadia, etc... And I'm guessing thats the case for most of you.

Finally... don't get mad if one of your favourite games isn't in the list (I left out La Pucelle Tactics, Phantom Brave, Tales of Vermillion and I love all 3 very much) Thats what the 'other' option is for as you can only go up to 20 options. I've just tried to make it as inclusive as I could :) Please recommend any game you like in one of your Posts. Thanks!

:save: Edit!! I made a terrible mistake! I forgot to includes Kingdom Hearts! Terrible mistake since it is a hugely popular and excellent game. Sorry for any fans! If I could change the Poll options, I would. Sorry again! :save:

Madame Adequate
09-23-2006, 11:10 AM
One of my votes was for TES IV: Oblivion, but actually I don't like that a huge amount. I voted for that because I do love Morrowind =D

Dreddz
09-23-2006, 12:39 PM
Dark Chronicle and Grandia are up there. Valkyrie Profile was also really good.

Mo-Nercy
09-23-2006, 12:49 PM
Chrono Trigger, Tales of Phantasia and Golden Sun.

Bunny
09-23-2006, 01:29 PM
Suikoden II is my favorite RPG ever. I liked to other games as well.

I Am Stoner
09-23-2006, 01:51 PM
I picked other for my three games.

My favorite Non-FF RPG of all time has to be Neverwinter Nights.

Then my second favorite has to be...... Diablo 2 & Lord Of Destruction Add-on

Then my third favorite is Vagarant Story.

Crossblades
09-23-2006, 02:13 PM
Chrono Trigger, Tales of Phantasia and Golden Sun.

Along with Tales of Symphonia, Paper Mario 2, and Skies of Arcadia Legends

Meat Puppet
09-23-2006, 03:59 PM
Even though I've only played 3 games in the series (Oblivion excluded), it's The Elder Scrolls for me.

Venom
09-23-2006, 04:01 PM
I dont see Wild Arms up there.

Roto13
09-23-2006, 05:14 PM
Zelda isn't an RPG, it's an adventure game. I voted for it anyway, since it's the best game on the list. :P

LunarWeaver
09-23-2006, 05:25 PM
I refuse to consider Xenosaga/gears "other" :cry:

Erdrick Holmes
09-23-2006, 05:39 PM
I'm not voting because Phantasy Star is too perfect to be counted as an 'other'.

XandrewX
09-23-2006, 06:38 PM
I choosed Suikoden as I played from two,four and five...and all are nice games...especially five...and...another one is Wild Arms...my favourite ones is Wild Arms:AlterCodeF...

Sefie1999AD
09-23-2006, 06:50 PM
I like Kingdom Hearts, Chrono Trigger, Seiken Densetsu 3 and Super Mario RPG. Jagged Alliance was a great game with RPG elements, though I'm not sure if it counts as an RPG.

Dell
09-23-2006, 06:58 PM
The only exception is Tales of Symphonia. As you know, Namco have made a lot of 'Tales' games and they are all of variable quality. Some are very average to say the least, some are okay and some are excellent. I chose Tales of Symphonia as that is regarded as the best in the series. Also, the Tales games have seperate stories and are not connected so you dont have to play the whole series to understand the plot.

Tales of Destiny II is better than Tales of Symphonia and is the best. :mad2: You like La Pucelle Tactics too? Ok, I forgive you. :)

I picked Tales and Suikoden.

KentaRawr!
09-23-2006, 07:09 PM
I voted Legend of Zelda, Secret of Mana, and Paper Mario. Personally, I think you should have called "Secret of Mana" the Mana series, and Paper Mario the Mario RPG series. =O And Zelda is not an RPG series. It's more of an Action/Adventure game series.

Kyri
09-23-2006, 07:23 PM
I voted for other, because Kingdom Hearts isn't on that list. I would have voted for zelda but I don't consider it a RPG.

RiseToFall
09-23-2006, 07:27 PM
This is unfair, there are just to many games that I want to pick. Grandia, Xenogears, Skies of Arcadia, Lunar series, sorry I just can't pick one.

Edit: Zero votes for Lunar.http://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/frown.gif

Auragaea
09-23-2006, 07:36 PM
The Breath of Fire series.

Jessweeee♪
09-23-2006, 08:02 PM
Kingdom Hearts, of course
and
Threads of Fate
:( I had to check other for threads of fate....i can't believe it happened again :(

Raven Nox
09-23-2006, 08:05 PM
Someone actually inculded Baten Kaitos in one of these polls. Yay!

Suikoden, Star Ocean and Baten Kaitos. Though I love Disgaea and Secret of Mana as well. All got a vote, because I didn't see the pick three thing. xD You can ignore the last 2 if you wish then.

Zeromus_X
09-23-2006, 08:12 PM
All tri-Ace games. :cat: :love:

BUY VALKYRIE PROFILE: SILMERIA NEXT WEEK ALL NORTH-AMERICANS. THIS IS NOT A QUESTION. :cat:

I also like Tales, and although I've only played Grandia III, I enjoyed that alot.

Edit: Tales of Symphonia is a chronological prequel to Tales of Phantasia, so I think that's the only two Tales games that are connected.

Rengori
09-23-2006, 08:20 PM
Disgaea, Disgaea 2, and Chrono Trigger are all awesomer than FF.

Angi-Kaiser
09-23-2006, 11:11 PM
I have to say I'm a big fan of the Breath of Fire series, although my altime favorite RPG is Legend of Mana.

Markus. D
09-23-2006, 11:55 PM
Drakengard 1 and 2 n_n

and Disgaea Series and Makai Kingdom.

and Phatom Brave.

Carl the Llama
09-24-2006, 02:27 AM
How can you not put Breath of Fire in your listings, its such a fantastic series!

oddler
09-24-2006, 04:54 AM
I'm not voting because Phantasy Star is too perfect to be counted as an 'other'.

Yeah, that's where my "other" comes into play. I had to at least acknowledge it for the sake of all that is good.

Star Ocean, The Legend of Zelda, and Phantasy Star.

ValkyrieWing
09-24-2006, 05:22 AM
Tales of Destiny, Tales of Eternia, Tales of Phantasia, Suikoden I, II, III, and V, Wind arms 1, 2, and 3 ( I wanna play Alter Code F!), Valkyrie Profile, ALL of Star Ocean...god, there's so many!

Suikoden II owns my soul, though. :)

black orb
09-25-2006, 04:30 AM
>>> Suikoden, Tales, Valkyrie Profile series, and almost all the other Squaresoft RPGs..

FallenAngel411
09-25-2006, 08:23 AM
Shadow Hearts. The first one pwns the rest of the series. <3

~SapphireStar~
09-25-2006, 10:30 AM
Shadow Hearts, Grandia, Suikoden, Legend of Dragoon, Koudelka, Valkyrie Profile, Magna Carta, Wild Arms, Breath of Fire.

BustaMo
09-25-2006, 05:34 PM
Kingdom Hearts Series obviously so I picked other.

As for my other 2 I choose Secret of Mana and the Chrono games many do to the fact they are Square-made.

I Took the Red Pill
09-26-2006, 03:36 AM
Star Ocean 2 and Chrono Cross are my favorite RPG's. Ever.

Reine
09-26-2006, 04:17 AM
Star Ocean comes first, followed by the Tales Series.

Other RPGs include Dragon Quest, Shin Megami Tensei: Lucifer's Call, Golden Sun series, Baten Kaitos, etc etc

The Unknown Guru
09-27-2006, 03:29 AM
Chrono Trigger. Coming in a close second, Golden Sun and its sequel. I could say very mean things about you for not putting them on the list, but I won't. Third is Skies of Arcadia. That game rules.

Duncan
09-27-2006, 07:07 AM
I dont see Wild Arms up there.

I was thinking the same thing. Wild Arms is a great game.

sephiroth the dark angel
09-28-2006, 04:27 PM
other. my fav non ff rpg's are .hack wild arms shadow hearts and dark chronicles

Pharoh Amon Khan III
09-28-2006, 04:40 PM
I DIDN'T SEE THE "FRONT MISSION" SERIES UP THERE IN THE POLLS!!!

WASSUPWITDAT?!!!!