PDA

View Full Version : Best Story

RiseToFall
09-23-2006, 08:28 PM
I don't know about everyone else but I love a good storyline to go with the game I'm playing. With a great storyline you get sucked into the games world and you just never want to put it down.

So what game do you guys think has the best storyline. It could be any game, RPG, action, adeventure, any game you can think of.

For me I would say the Metal Gear Solid series storyline interest me the most. I know I'm kinda cheating by including the whole series but it all ties together into one big story.

Other Nominees: BG&E, FFX, FFIX, Oddworld: Strangers Wraith, Grandia and more.

A Little Off Topic: I know some people will hate me for saying this, but am I the only one who thinks that Nintendo really doesn't include good interesting storylines with their games, well maybe a few here or there. But if you look at Metroid or even Zelda the storylines in these games are kind of lacking.

I Took the Red Pill
09-23-2006, 08:36 PM
Final Fantasy X comes to mind first, although Final Fantasy Tactics also smurfed with my mind too. Star Ocean 2 was awesome too.

LunarWeaver
09-23-2006, 08:38 PM
Nobody expected me to say Xenosaga here.

Dreddz
09-23-2006, 08:39 PM
I'd say the whole series of Legacy Of Kain games have a damn good story. I agree with you also, Grandia does have a good story :)

stuffing
09-23-2006, 08:41 PM
Chrono cross

Jessweeee♪
09-23-2006, 08:49 PM
FFX and Kingdom Heats
Well, just about any SE game. Especially FFVII FFX KH and Threads of Fate (Rue's side)

Jowy
09-23-2006, 08:51 PM
Metal Gear Solid and Suikoden have some of the best stories that I've seen in games.

JKTrix
09-23-2006, 09:24 PM
Mega Man Battle Network 3 gave me chills :p

I'm quite intrigued by the entire Zone of the Enders series as well, having seen the anime move/series and played the GBA and PS2 games.

Metal Gear takes the cake though

Shoeberto
09-23-2006, 09:45 PM
I'd say the whole series of Legacy Of Kain games have a damn good story.
Yes.

Killer7's story is (so far, I'm only like four chapters in) wonderful - a great mix of psychological horror and political thriller. It's a genre mix that you wouldn't think would go well together, but they make it work.

MGS has a sweet story, too, just from what I've played, though I wish at times they would stop telling it so I could play the game. On another Konami note, the Castlevania storyline is fascinating, as well.

My favorite, though, is easily the Half-life story. In a normal playthrough, just through NPC interaction, the story seems like just a random thrown-together mess, but when you pay attention to the details (or, um, use a story guide ;D) it all comes together in such a beautiful way to tell this compelling story that I want to love forever.

Yamaneko
09-23-2006, 09:46 PM
Deus Ex. No competition as far as I'm concerned.

Planescape: Torment following close behind, though.

Ramza Beoulve
09-23-2006, 10:01 PM
Castlevania and Metal Gear Solid

Ouch!
09-23-2006, 10:49 PM
Final Fantasy Tactics, hands down.

Madame Adequate
09-23-2006, 11:40 PM
A lot of the best have already been mentioned. Deus Ex, Suikoden, FFX, the Chrono series, and the Legacy of Kain series come to mind.

Warcraft pre-WoW, too. XIII comes to mind, the resolution in sequels will be important though.

One of my absolute faves is also Star Ocean 3. <333

RiseToFall
09-24-2006, 12:07 AM
Did anyone else play Beyond Good and Evil and Oddworld: Strangers Wraith. Those are two very underrated games with great story lines that every should check out. Just a tip for all the people who haven't played them yet.

Nifleheim7
09-24-2006, 01:11 AM
GRAN TURISMO 4!!!!

Seriously:
FFVII
FFX
Silent Hill 2
There are others,but these in my opinion really stand out.

Dell
09-24-2006, 05:04 AM
Suikoden II, Suikoden V, Final Fantasy IX, Final Fantasy Tactics, Final Fantasy VI, Final Fantasy XII, Tales of Phantasia and Tales of Destiny II.

NeoCracker
09-24-2006, 05:18 AM
Xenosaga for the win!
Wild Arms 4 also rocks.

ValkyrieWing
09-24-2006, 08:09 AM
Suikoden, Wild Arms, any Tales game...

Oh, and Y's which isn't very well know. :)

Madame Adequate
09-24-2006, 09:35 AM
Oh snap, I completely forgot about Indigo Prophecy (Aka Fahrenheit).

Bunny
09-24-2006, 01:37 PM
I would say Suikoden II, which would be a reason that it is my favorite game of all time.

Aside from that, I enjoyed the story for Final Fantasy VI immensely. Xenogears gets points as well, even though I haven't managed to actually beat it completely.

Shion Strife
09-24-2006, 07:43 PM
xenosaga or xenogears ftw!!!!!!!! <----no story comes close
final fantasy X
Star Ocean 3..towards the end
Final Fantasy 8
Final Fantasy 9
FF Tactics

Zeromus_X
09-24-2006, 07:51 PM
Final Fantasy X comes to mind first, although Final Fantasy Tactics also smurfed with my mind too. Star Ocean 2 was awesome too.

Ooh! I'd have to agree with all of these. Though I hated the somewhat convoluted plot of FFT, once I actually pieced together everything, I liked it a whole lot better.

And wow, alot of people seem to hate SO3's plot, but a few people besides me enjoy it? 0_o;

I also like Valkyrie Profile...well, with the A Ending anyway.

Markus. D
09-24-2006, 08:19 PM
Drakengard and Makai Kingdom.

you heard me, Drakengard, you know why?

because it is perfect.

Drakengard.

it will traumatize you if you decide to attempt to understand it.

Ender
09-25-2006, 02:52 PM
Deus Ex. No competition as far as I'm concerned.

Planescape: Torment following close behind, though.

Agree with both, but have the order reversed. The last third of Deus Ex degenerates into a standard lab-and-military-base FPS IMO, otherwise it would be the tops on my list.

Rainecloud
09-25-2006, 06:32 PM
Why, Final Fantasy VII, of course!

Nothing beats it in terms of originality (don't start with your Norse Mythology threads, please) and emotional involvement.

~SapphireStar~
09-25-2006, 06:38 PM
Beyond Good and Evil had a good storyline, but I also think Legend of Dragoon had a great one also!

Crossblades
09-25-2006, 06:50 PM
IMO Legend of Dragoon has the best storyline I have ever seen in an RPG

Pete for President
09-25-2006, 09:37 PM
Metal Gear and FFX, definately.

oddler
09-25-2006, 09:56 PM
Tales of Destiny II (US) and Star Ocean: The Second Story.

Auragaea
09-25-2006, 10:26 PM
Xenosaga series

RiseToFall
09-25-2006, 10:32 PM
Nobody expected me to say Xenosaga here.

Xenosaga for the win!
Wild Arms 4 also rocks.

xenosaga or xenogears ftw!!!!!!!! <----no story comes close
final fantasy X
Star Ocean 3..towards the end
Final Fantasy 8
Final Fantasy 9
FF Tactics

Xenosaga series

I really need to pick this series up. I do own and have played through Xenogears which is one of my fav rpg's ever. The thing that got me off track was that Namco was developing Xenosaga and not Square. This was before I got into the Tales series and found out that Namco can actually make some pretty good rpg's. Anyway hope to pick it up soon.