PDA

View Full Version : Korea and their bad MMORPGs

Sylvie
09-23-2006, 10:55 PM
Whats your opinion on Korea having a seemingly MMORPG sweatshop? There must be like, 50 or more of these low-quality MMORPGs out by them. They're all the same. Repetetive, boring, and nothing to do but kill things. There may be some alright ones out there, but all the ones I've played really suck.

Captain Maxx Power
09-23-2006, 11:07 PM
They make money. Lots of money. So they'll keep churning them out. They don't translate very well in the West. I personally don't have much of a taste for them either.

Jowy
09-23-2006, 11:08 PM
HEY! I like Ragnarok Online. :(

Most of the others just don't interest me.

Markus. D
09-23-2006, 11:49 PM
Koreans MMORPGs are exprements though (the translated ones staying beta for long legnths of time, can take a few years till it gets out of that state).

ovcourse theres always going to be a failure.

and, Genji, you judged RO far to soon, there ALOT more to do then just kill things.

you see in MMOs there is ussually a time span of build up before you can do/afford to do any of the other stuff, then there is quests, constantly added in.

then slowly configuring the engrish to normal (like Maple Global has slowly overcome) takes time.

the only thing I hate is really, the clones of other MMORPGs, and that you ussually get poor support for certain MMOs.

Sylvie
09-24-2006, 02:34 AM
Koreans MMORPGs are exprements though (the translated ones staying beta for long legnths of time, can take a few years till it gets out of that state).

ovcourse theres always going to be a failure.

and, Genji, you judged RO far to soon, there ALOT more to do then just kill things.

you see in MMOs there is ussually a time span of build up before you can do/afford to do any of the other stuff, then there is quests, constantly added in.

then slowly configuring the engrish to normal (like Maple Global has slowly overcome) takes time.

the only thing I hate is really, the clones of other MMORPGs, and that you ussually get poor support for certain MMOs.
Okay, well when I play a MMORPG, I like to do other things than kill before I get to level 50. :P People on RO have ridiculous prices for items, the streets are overcrowded with crap.

Markus. D
09-24-2006, 02:41 AM
then go on an official server like Oceania RO, quiet. out of date... but quiet.

ljkkjlcm9
09-24-2006, 02:43 AM
Gunz Online is another one, but I enjoy playing that everyonce and awhile, despite all the hackers.

THE JACKEL

Markus. D
09-24-2006, 03:02 AM
true, it is really fun n_n-b

I await the day they get game guard.

Rostum
09-24-2006, 04:13 AM
Gunbound is probably the only online Korean-made game I like, and it's not even an MMORPG. (At least I think it's Korean-made) Otherwise I'd rather just play a mainstream one like FFXI and WoW.

Shoeberto
09-24-2006, 05:32 AM

I would really like to know what else there is to do in RO, 'cause in my occasionaly spurts in it, it was just a grindfest. I couldn't even find any quests. It was just run out, thwap monsters, sell loot, buy equipment, thwap bigger monsters, repeat.

Yamaneko
09-24-2006, 05:51 AM
MMORPGs are pretty pointless in general, aside from the community aspect.

Sylvie
09-24-2006, 05:56 AM

I would really like to know what else there is to do in RO, 'cause in my occasionaly spurts in it, it was just a grindfest. I couldn't even find any quests. It was just run out, thwap monsters, sell loot, buy equipment, thwap bigger monsters, repeat.
Exactly.

Captain Maxx Power
09-24-2006, 03:21 PM
MMORPGs are pretty pointless in general, aside from the community aspect.

I think the description I use quite frequently to describe MMOG's are "Giant chat rooms with sub-games attached onto it". Until they make a game that actually encourages people to interact together for reasons other than level-grinding/quests, all MMOG's are just glorified tests of patience.

Markus. D
09-25-2006, 02:12 AM

they have an episode system of quests, you can find these story quests in various places (for example, the latest episode quest is in Lighthalzen) (I cant give away any of the little ittles of storyline).
and a few little sub quests like hat making (ya know, your typical collect so many from this and etc... 10,000 jellopy makes an Orc Hero Hat, but I dont have the toleration to do that).

edit: xD I hate the communitys in most MMOs, but there are a few worth getting to know and conversing with (Like Kierston and Adam, we use to maple together *-*).

perhaps its just a poor form of plotless gaming, but I like them n_n-b

Sylvie
09-25-2006, 02:17 AM

they have an episode system of quests, you can find these story quests in various places (for example, the latest episode quest is in Lighthalzen) (I cant give away any of the little ittles of storyline).
and a few little sub quests like hat making (ya know, your typical collect so many from this and etc... 10,000 jellopy makes an Orc Hero Hat, but I dont have the toleration to do that).

edit: xD I hate the communitys in most MMOs, but there are a few worth getting to know and conversing with (Like Kierston and Adam, we use to maple together *-*).

Yeah, and all those quest concepts suck. They involve trekking around and killing, being lucky enough to get some item from the monster, etc.

Erdrick Holmes
09-25-2006, 03:11 AM
Korea is INSANELY obsessed with online games. You should see the number of deaths there that are somewhat linked to somebody playing an online game.

Mirage
09-25-2006, 03:16 AM
They're linked to people being retarded and/or stupid, not games. :(

Erdrick Holmes
09-25-2006, 03:21 AM
I know, I was explaining why there's an astronomic amount of Korean MMORPGs.

Markus. D
09-25-2006, 08:30 AM

Yeah, and all those quest concepts suck. They involve trekking around and killing, being lucky enough to get some item from the monster, etc.

perhaps the sub.... but not the Episodes.

edit: wait a sec, I thought you never found these quests mr Genji.

bipper
09-25-2006, 03:16 PM
I have yet to play an AWSOME mmo outside of Asheron's call. They all suck, with DAOC and WoW being two great exceptions to that rule. Those are about sevens and eights on my 1 - 10 scale. AC was 9.

Elite Lord Sigma
09-25-2006, 08:07 PM
I have never played any extraordinary MMO's. RuneScape has a community which at best can be described as pathetic, even though that game was made by a British company.

Shoeberto
09-25-2006, 08:12 PM

In his defense, it's not like the "Kill [x] enemies" or "Bring me [x] items" quest concepts are exactly unique to RO. They really do get pretty old, too.

Sylvie
09-25-2006, 08:27 PM

In his defense, it's not like the "Kill [x] enemies" or "Bring me [x] items" quest concepts are exactly unique to RO. They really do get pretty old, too.

Tsukasa: Well, you basically told me what the quests were like.

Hsu: I agree completely.

Markus. D
09-26-2006, 01:05 AM
I also like exploring in MMO games, which is why I hate really small worlds like Knight Online (lacking detail aswell which is no fun at all ._.).

as for RO... I am going to keep defending the good points of it like I do the same with FFX-2.

Sylvie
09-26-2006, 01:15 AM
That's fine. You can have your opinion and I can have mine of course. :) We're different people, and we have different tastes.

As of now, my new MMORPGs are Endless Online and Dark Ages. THOSE are my type of games. :)

ShunNakamura
10-02-2006, 12:45 AM
I will just second that Gunz is a fairly entertaining online game.... Fairyland held my attention and is fairly fun(lots of grind though). Trickster online has a bunch of quests but nothing exciting about them. In the end I think that The Fourth Coming is still the best MMORPG around, and it is ancient.

I am not sure if TO and FL are korean made but they tend to fit the mold that you guys are talking about fairly well. The Fourth Coming I know isn't korean but meh I needed a point of comparison.

Markus. D
10-02-2006, 02:39 AM
That's fine. You can have your opinion and I can have mine of course. :) We're different people, and we have different tastes.

As of now, my new MMORPGs are Endless Online and Dark Ages. THOSE are my type of games. :)

You may really like the look of Diablo I/II/Expansion

:)

Sylvie
10-02-2006, 02:48 AM
Yeah, I'm trying to get a hold of a copy of Diablo II. I think my friend might have it, so I can copy the CD from her. If she doesn't, well that means...

*opens bitcomet*

escobert
10-02-2006, 03:17 AM
Guild Wars is made by the Diablo team, it's a good game. Awsome PvP.

fantasyjunkie
10-02-2006, 07:45 AM
Korea is INSANELY obsessed with online games. You should see the number of deaths there that are somewhat linked to somebody playing an online game.

Man, I've real a lot of articles over the years on their obesessions with MMO's. Even offline grieving for things done while online. I tried googling for a site devoted to this subject but all I can find are news articles like i mentioned above. Didn't one guy kill another for a sword stolen online or something like that?

Azure Chrysanthemum
10-02-2006, 07:59 AM
I'd only play an MMORPG for the RPG aspect, namely, the roleplay. Which doesn't seem to exist in MMOs, be they Korean or otherwise. I'm not going to waste my time in an endless, pointless grindfest.

Sylvie
10-02-2006, 08:33 PM

Man, I've real a lot of articles over the years on their obesessions with MMO's. Even offline grieving for things done while online. I tried googling for a site devoted to this subject but all I can find are news articles like i mentioned above. Didn't one guy kill another for a sword stolen online or something like that?

Yes. Some Chinese guys friend sold this dudes online sword, and the guy that owned the sword stabbed him to to death over it.

KH-Cloudy
11-28-2006, 06:59 AM
*Revives for post*

THEY MADE MY COUSIN ADDICTED TO THEM AND HE WON'T STOP PLAYING T_T

Shlup
11-28-2006, 07:39 AM
*Revives for post*

No nerophilia, please.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
11-28-2006, 08:04 AM
nerophiliahttp://www.lastupload.com/files/23/remorseofnero.jpg

Shlup
11-28-2006, 08:26 AM
That too.

At least it was an honest typo that time, not just my horrible spelling.