PDA

View Full Version : English Or Japanese

K. H. Kid
09-24-2006, 02:21 AM
Just a simple poll to pick which is better for anime: Japanese voiceovers or English voiceovers.

For me, Japanese voiceovers are better but in some cases like Samurai Champloo I prefer the english. What do you think?

Venom
09-24-2006, 02:22 AM
English. Soley because I cannot read sub-titles and watch at the same time.

Sylvie
09-24-2006, 02:23 AM
Englis please.

EDIT: Nah, I just wanted to make fun of your title. I like Japanese with subs better.

LunarWeaver
09-24-2006, 02:23 AM
It depends. Sometimes dubs are horrible and I'll watch the subs, or if no dub existed when I began watching it and I'm simply used to the Japanese track I'll continue on with it..

But if the voice acting is good in English, then normally I just watch that. I don't see a reason to watch subs for the sake of it.

Sylvie
09-24-2006, 02:35 AM
I liked Samurai Champloo either way. All had good voices on them.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
09-24-2006, 02:47 AM
The voices chosen by the actors, as well as the quality of the voice acting itself, are generally much better on the Japanese side.

Roto13
09-24-2006, 03:02 AM
Unless you're talking about female characters, who are often shrill and whiney in Japanese.

I use the English voices.

The Summoner of Leviathan
09-24-2006, 03:08 AM
I've gotten used to reading subs and watching the anime at the same time, once and a while I have to pause it to read a long paragraph, but I prefer the subs with the Japanese voice acting. I have heard abominal English dubs before. Most shows that I watch subbed, I cannot stand the dub, there are a few exceptions.

NeoCracker
09-24-2006, 03:24 AM
It really doesn't matter to me. I've always thought English voices did quite well, though there are definately exceptions.

BakerMan
09-24-2006, 03:26 AM
I prefered the Japanese ones in Samurai Champloo, I couldn't stand the english ones, the japanese voices seemed to "fit" it more realistically.

Zeromus_X
09-24-2006, 03:28 AM
While a good majority of English voice acting is unbearable, it's gotten alot better recently. I usually watch it in both languages to see which one I prefer. Some Japanese voices can be just as bad as the English.

Sylvie
09-24-2006, 03:29 AM
I prefered the Japanese ones in Samurai Champloo, I couldn't stand the english ones, the japanese voices seemed to "fit" it more realistically.

I thought Mugen and Jin's voices in the Engish dub were fitting. I wasn't a huge fan of Fuu's though.

KentaRawr!
09-24-2006, 03:56 AM
A lot of times, not understanding anything adds to the effect. However, it really depends on how good the voice-overs are and exactly what show we're talking about. Most of the time for anime, I prefer Japanese.

JKTrix
09-24-2006, 06:38 AM
In general, the original language of any production is 'better'. Englished dubbed anime has a history of being pretty attrocious, humorously so at times. In recent years though, they have really taken a step up.

I was very impressed with RahXephon, which is my favourite anime. I had downloaded it a year or so prior, and when I watched it on DVD in English I was quite surprised with how well the dub was handled.

jrgen
09-24-2006, 07:57 AM
English. Soley because I cannot read sub-titles and watch at the same time.
I don't understand why so many Americans have such a hard time doing this. While I don't watch anime, I think it just looks and sounds stupid when something is dubbed.

starseeker
09-24-2006, 08:58 AM
If there is a dub then I go for that, but if there isn't a dub or the dub is terrible, then I watch it in Japanese with english subs.

Madame Adequate
09-24-2006, 09:26 AM
Japanese without question. I have heard one good dub, ever. Subs ftw.

Then again, I watch normal English things with subs on, so...

Edit: And no, I don't have trouble hearing. =P I'm just THAT hardcore.

Pharoh Amon Khan III
09-24-2006, 09:34 AM
Japanese. Definitely.

Dreddz
09-24-2006, 10:00 AM
Depends, most of the time the dubbing is awful, I'd choose Japanese if thats the case. Some anime ( usually of high status ) have great dubbing as if im lazy, I'd go with English dubbing.

Slade
09-24-2006, 10:19 AM
English. I can't stand having to look at subtitles and miss out on the images.

jrgen
09-24-2006, 11:01 AM
English. I can't stand having to look at subtitles and miss out on the images.
You're supposed to watch it with your head tilted, so that one eye reads the subtitles while one eye is watching the images.

Breine
09-24-2006, 11:19 AM
Japanese. Whenever I watch a movie I always watch it in its original language with Danish subtitles of course. A movie is always better in its original language because then the performances of the actors are the way they're supposed to be, instead of mimiced by someone else.

Lawr
09-24-2006, 11:24 AM
Goku in Japanese...ROFL Yeah right.

cloud_doll
09-24-2006, 03:38 PM
i always watch the english, i just enjoy it better when i can hear it.

Polaris
09-24-2006, 03:39 PM
Japanese voices with english legends... :cool:

~SapphireStar~
09-24-2006, 07:07 PM
Some are great dubbed, like Cowboy Bebop, but others arent like Sailor Moon.

Eminem's_No.1_Fan
09-24-2006, 07:10 PM
Japanese, with English subtitles.

chrisfffan
09-24-2006, 10:36 PM
English is the universal language I know that sounds arrogant but English is the universal language! where ever you go theirs always somebody who speaks it

~SapphireStar~
09-24-2006, 10:56 PM
Not everyone in the world sees English as their first language. Yes people do speak it, but it does rank as a second in some countries, maybe even thrid in others. Anime and manga is created in Japan, so naturally it would be in their native tongue before being altered fro other countries.

Azure Chrysanthemum
09-25-2006, 07:44 AM
English is the national language... in America. In other places, not so much. Internationally, it was French, but it's definitely becoming English. But that doesn't mean each nation won't speak their own language.

Anyway, Japanese with English subs is what I usually do. The voice acting is generally better.

ValkyrieWing
09-25-2006, 07:52 AM
Being someone who had personally met a great many voice actors, I have to say that some dubs are really good. I do love Japanese voice actors, however, like Tomokazu Seki (my fav!).

So I can't pick either one. :)