PDA

View Full Version : Vintage Vinyl

theundeadhero
09-24-2006, 12:43 PM
According to the yahoo news update that shows up on their homepage everyday vinyl records are making a comeback as being cool. What do you think about this? It makes me very sad in the pants. I've been collecting records for years and this just means more competition for those rare super cool old records.

Resha
09-24-2006, 01:52 PM
I don't know about cool, but those things are classy, alright. My dad has a million of them, and they all have beautiful -- absolutely beautiful -- covers and it's so lovely watching them spin. It's much more fulfilling than watchign CDs xD

Meat Puppet
09-24-2006, 02:42 PM
Collecting vinyls never actually went uncool.

Vikeve
09-24-2006, 06:38 PM
The vinyl industry is evil!

But vinyl records are cool my bro has a lot.

~SapphireStar~
09-24-2006, 06:40 PM
I personally think they will be great. The great thing about vinyl is you can listen to them when your going to sleep instead of a DVD, radio or CD and it just stops completely when its finsihed. Instead of having the TV, radio or CD player still on!

rubah
09-24-2006, 06:56 PM
The best part is that you can still play them if the electricity is off. Takes a bit of hand coordination, but you can still do it!

I think they should start selling records again in stores. How sweet would that be?

Cz
09-24-2006, 07:48 PM
Bah, this revival is just a vain attempt by a bunch of indie posers to appear more authentic than everyone else by buying the latest Kooks single on 7" rather than CD. I wouldn't worry about any extra competition if I were you, hero.

Actually collecting rare vinyls is a worthwhile endeavour. My dad's got a pretty extensive collection, although I don't think too many of them are highly sought after. Vinyls themselves are quite cool, if a bit cumbersome. To be honest, I can't understand why anyone would choose to buy one over a CD, if their intention is to actually listen to it. But as a collector's item, they're a nice investment.

XxSephirothxX
09-24-2006, 07:53 PM
I don't know about this whole revival, but at least it's in good taste. Records have a distinct sound, and they're plain fun to listen to. My roommate and I have Led Zeppelin IV and Dark Side of the Moon on vinyl, among other things. I was pretty shocked when my dad just gave him Dark Side of the Moon because he had it on CD. :p

theundeadhero
09-24-2006, 07:57 PM
I collect them for listening, and highly prefer them over the digital hi-def sound of a CD. For older bands at least. Bands these days I will buy a CD, because my experience with modern records is that they're trying to put optimal sound onto a device not made for what they need. DSOTM was the first record I ever bought for myself :p

Roto13
09-24-2006, 08:10 PM
There's a reason they've been replaced by CDs.

Vincent, Thunder God
09-24-2006, 08:22 PM
I have a lot of old vinyls but I never use them. The sound quality is poor and the lack of track setting is annoying, not to mention that amount of time it takes to set one up, and switching sides.

theundeadhero
09-24-2006, 08:45 PM
There is a track setting. The wider lines going around the record tell you where one track ends and the next begins.

Decessus
09-24-2006, 09:20 PM
I used those to throw at cats.

Xaven
09-24-2006, 09:55 PM
Blah, I've never taken to them.

There's a reason they've been replaced by CDs.
Da, da.

NorthernChaosGod
09-25-2006, 09:16 AM
Wait, they stop being cool at some point?! :confused:

RiseToFall
09-25-2006, 09:31 AM
I don't know about cool

Are you kidding me.
http://arabcomedy.org/engine/uploads/dj-jungle-headshot.jpg
O yeah;)

fantasyjunkie
09-25-2006, 01:45 PM
I like the cool covers

Pete for President
09-25-2006, 09:19 PM
Collecting vinyls never actually went uncool.

Right!

I don't really play records that much since iTunes took over my pc (my record collection isn't that great anyway), but I still think it's way cooler to have an album on vinyl instead of cd/mp3. Vinyl just has a bit of an underground/special feel to it.