PDA

View Full Version : Okami Reactions

Necronopticous
09-25-2006, 03:12 AM
Now that school has started I haven't had the time to zip through Okami like I would have had it come out a few weeks earlier. I've only put about 6-7 hours in so far, but it's pretty much everything I was hoping for since the first time I set eyes on it.

I'll have more to say about it when I get some more time to really sit down with it again. Is anyone else playing? I hope so. What do you think?

FallenAngel411
09-25-2006, 03:55 AM
ME ME! I'M AN OKAMI FANNNN!!!!! :love: :kaolove2: :heart: :monkey:

It is absolutely amazing! The graphics are beautiful, but even moreso in motion! Any screenshot you see will do the game no justice. (>graphics whore) But thats only the beginning of why this game makes me so happy. It's just so detailed and alive...the whole world is a living, breathing thing. I got it the day it came out and I've been playing every spare moment I can get! I'm about 12 hours in right now, and it just gets better and better every minute. OMG HAVEN'T BEEN THIS EXCITED ABOUT A GAME SINCE SHADOW OF THE COLOSSUS

On a more random note, all the comparisons between this game and Zelda are not at all without reasonable grounds. This game does borrow the style and game mechanics of Nintendo's legendary franchise, but at the same time it manages to establish its own atmosphere and feels entirely new and unique. And....uhhh.....:shifty:.......I like it better than Zelda

(dodges rotten tomatoes)

(dies)

;__;

IN CONCLUSION-----amazing game!!! Anyone who owns a PS2 should definitely not miss out on what is going to be one of the last classics of the system! BRAVO CAPCOM!!! :kaocheer: :3

Markus. D
09-25-2006, 07:08 AM
Okami *-*

such a wonderful world, such a wonderful story *-* such lovely gameplay *-*

Okami *-*

ValkyrieWing
09-25-2006, 07:57 AM
I want to buy it, but it's sold out at work (gamestop)

T____T *weep*

RiseToFall
09-25-2006, 08:15 AM
I want this game so bad, but unfortunately I'm broke.:cry:

If anyone wants to cheer me up, send me a copy and I will never cry again.

ValkyrieWing
09-25-2006, 08:25 AM
Did't the critics say that it was SO Japanese, even the Japanese didn't get it?

RiseToFall
09-25-2006, 08:31 AM
They said that some of the Japanese themes that they used in the game were so old that most Japanese people won't even know them.

ValkyrieWing
09-25-2006, 08:32 AM
WOW.

Being someone who is interested in Japanese mythos, and unable to find many sources, i like this a lot. :)

Tasura
09-25-2006, 03:36 PM
I want this game now =( *calls friend in other building for drive*

Dreddz
09-25-2006, 04:44 PM
I will buy this game when it arrives on these shores, dont have the time or money at the moment.

Nifleheim7
09-25-2006, 06:10 PM
Can't wait for this game to be released in europe!
Every screenshot and video that i have seen screams "BUY ME"!!!!
And i will.:love:

Tasura
09-26-2006, 05:38 AM
I bought the game today, and Ive put 4 and a half hours into it so far, and conviently thats how long ago I bought it, but Ive got to say is this DEAR GOD THIS GAME IS AWESOME!! That is all.

ValkyrieWing
09-26-2006, 05:42 AM
o_O

I WANTS IT.

Markus. D
09-26-2006, 09:51 AM
Okami *-*

I like how you can avoid the non-boss battles, some people might like to just play it for storyline n_n, I like that concept aswell.

GooeyToast
09-27-2006, 10:50 PM
I've been playing for around 12 hours, and I must say this game is amazing. The graphics are easily some of the best created for this generation of consols, and practically everything about the game is excellent. Just running around and watching day turn to night gives an undescribable feeling; only Shadow of the Colossus accomplished this "feeling" better.

One thing that kinda irks me though are the voices, especially during cutscenes when you can't skip them. They can get rather annoying at times. Otherwise, I have no complaints.

Markus. D
09-28-2006, 03:44 AM
xD they remind me of the old Banjo Kazooie/Twoie days.

Ender
09-28-2006, 05:06 PM
After hearing all the praise heaped on this game by people who have now been playing it, I had to go get myself a copy and give it a spin.

Slight gameplay spoilers might follow:

The visual style of the game is beyond what I could have imagined. The game is 3D, and yet they were able to make a 2D-artistic style work with it. One of the biggest problems I've had with the 2D-to-3D transition in games is that too much of the "art" was given up in favor of trying to make things look realistic, and this game clearly shows that even in a 3D world a games aesthetics can be designed from a purely artistic standpoint.

I've only played about five hours so far, currently in the process of clearing out "Hyrule Field", and my concerns/complaints amount to the following:

The controls are a little "sloppy," I guess I would say, from time to time (though some of this belongs at the foot of the graphical style, which throws off perspective on occasion). I find myself adjusting the camera a little more than I would like. There are little chirps that accompany the text which I find really annoying, though after awhile I just kinda tuned it out. The "puzzles" are at about a first-grade level, and Issun, your fairy, walks you through exactly what you do in many cases anyway. The battles are also a piece of cake. Given that you can choose to avoid most non-boss/miniboss battles anyway it's a little weird to have made it so that button mashing (literally) will get you through unscathed in most of the early battles. It would have been nice if they required you to develop actual battle tactics. Oh well.

Those complaints haven't really detracted much from my overall enjoyment of the game thus far though. Besides the visual stimulation, it has a fairly interesting story and some fun characters. It's cool to see that a game that draws most of its story from a foreign culture can still be enjoyable to people outside it, and to the extent that it could get people at least a little interested in Japanese mythology and traditional art it deserves some applause. The text gets really long-winded at times, but there's a good amount of humor and characterization that comes through in it (and why all the Issun hate?...he's horrible when he tells you where to go next over and over and over and over again, but otherwise Issun >> Navie).

The game might not be anything truly revolutionary outside of its visual style and the Celestial Brush world-altering-technique (certainly there are a lot of parallels to the Zelda games), but the presentation is pretty incredible. Honestly, five hours in, I have to admit that I am more "into the game" than I was for either Ocarina of Time or the Windwaker...and I'm a huge Zelda fan.