PDA

View Full Version : Rule of Rose Reactions

Necronopticous
09-25-2006, 03:32 AM
I picked up Rule of Rose last week and I've been making steady progress as school and life will allow. Unfortuntely I think this game has really been getting unfairly pounded across the board as far as reviews go. With five or so hours invested so far, I can say that I am already very happy with what Rule of Rose has done in the survival horror scene. I see this game as sort of an ying to Resident Evil 4's yang. Instead of taking the game out onto the borderline of action and suspense game genres, Rule of Rose almost fully ignores action and delves deep into atmosphere, immersion, and all-out weirdness.

I am really enjoying the setting which is a unique answer to the much-needed change in survival horror, and most of all I am really, really enjoying playing as Jennifer. There is nothing more special than playing through a survival horror game with a character so timid that she is limited in her exploration not only by locks and puzzles, but by something so much as a kid with a paper bag over their head slamming the door on her. Sure, I have a lot of fun blasting away zombies and monsters with rocket launchers and sawed-off shotguns, but running from unexplained rabbit-headed children with nothing more than a dessert fork to use out of desparation has charmed me in the best way.

I hope there are others enjoying Rule of Rose as well.

Germ Hamee
09-25-2006, 07:22 AM
I'm also playing through it right now. Many people tried to veer me away from it, but there was no way I wasn't going to give it a shot with how long I've been waiting for it to come here.

So far I'm completely entranced by the story. I have so many questions, and I can't wait for them to be answered/hinted at.

The game itself... I'm not having very much fun playing. I recently beat the first boss and it was completely ridiculous. The part I liked least was that I had to limp around everywhere because I was out of health items. Blah.

Necronopticous
09-25-2006, 07:53 AM
It sounds like you're pretty much at the same point of the game that I am at. Admittedly the boss battle was frustrating, mainly because the battle mechanics in the game are not very good at all. Thankfully I had a chocolate on hand, so I didn't have to put up with Jennifer limping around at snail pace for long.

Nifleheim7
09-25-2006, 06:18 PM
Another game that i look forward to get(once it's released in europe).
I like more Silent Hill than Resident Evil so i think i will enjoy this one.I've heard that the game lacks a bit in terms of gameplay but in the genre of survival horror i'm more interested in story and atmosphere.Which i'm quite sure that the game delivers!