PDA

View Full Version : Best Oddworld?

The Last Ancient
09-25-2006, 11:54 PM
Ok a series I've always wanted to try but never got around to it, just wondering which one is best?

Markus. D
09-26-2006, 12:13 AM
ooooh I loved watching others plays this game back in the day (I was to scared because it was instant kill and yeah >_> no good with games like that with those sudden fright type thingys), probably Abes Oddyse (spelling?)

Psychotic
09-26-2006, 12:14 AM
Abe's Oddysee was always my favourite, although it's probably a bit dated these days.

Vincent, Thunder God
09-26-2006, 12:29 AM
I've played Abe's Exodus, Munch's Odysee and Stranger's Wrath, three of the four made so far. My favourite is Munch's Odysee, so you could start there, but all the others are worth buying except the first one, Abe's Odysee. I haven't played it, but I've heard it has no proper quicksave engine (one of the series' main innovations) and Abe's Exodus is almost exactly the same gameplay. If you want to start early in the series, I suggest you skip Abe's Oddysee.

But as I said before, if you want to only sample the series' best material I suggest Munch's Odysee, my personal favourite.

Unfortunately the creator is going to move away from games and into movies and TV, so don't become too big a fan. It seems there won't be any more Oddworld games, at least for a while. It's really a pity because it's an awesome series.

RiseToFall
09-26-2006, 02:28 AM
I love Oddworld: Strangers Wraith. The games weapons alone bring more innovation to the videogame market than most games as a whole. It's very underrated which is kind of unfortunate because of the quality of this game. If you want to try out a unique game with great gameplay and a great story I suggest you pick this one up.

-Also this one has nothing to do with the previous Oddworlds, so you won't be missing anything from the story.

The Last Ancient
09-26-2006, 02:36 AM
Which one would you guys say has the best story??

RiseToFall
09-26-2006, 02:44 AM

All of the Oddworld games have a really interesting story, no matter what you pick. Stranger's Wraith ups the ante on story because Stranger the main protagonist has a secret he's hiding and you just want to keep playing to see what it is. Eventually you do find out and then the story dives even deeper, it's great.

-I did want to mention that Oddworld Munch's Oddysee is not as good in the gameplay department as the other 3 in the series. Don't start off with that one as you might be disappointed with it.

Vincent, Thunder God
09-26-2006, 03:18 AM

All of the Oddworld games have a really interesting story, no matter what you pick. Stranger's Wraith ups the ante on story because Stranger the main protagonist has a secret he's hiding and you just want to keep playing to see what it is. Eventually you do find out and then the story dives even deeper, it's great.

-I did want to mention that Oddworld Munch's Oddysee is not as good in the gameplay department as the other 3 in the series. Don't start off with that one as you might be disappointed with it.

Personally I found that it had the best gameplay in the series, but that's just me.

As for the best storyline, they're all good in that department.

I Took the Red Pill
09-26-2006, 03:19 AM
Abe's Exodus. Classic.

Reine
09-26-2006, 05:31 AM
Pill has it right. Abes Exoddus wins, but Abes Oddysey is not be passed upon. The lack of a quicksave is annoying after playing Exoddus, but I think Oddysey has a few of the best locations out of the 2 2-D games (the sanctuary place and Paramonia wilderness are damn lovely)

However Exoddus has a lot more hectic moments, like the part where you Possess that glukkon dude near the end of the Bone Werks and have to survive that gauntlet thing, or is it the Slig Barracks? and everyones favourite: The VERY evil ending area, ten thousand drills and deathtraps and bonesaws and other such blades of whirling death all with a time limit, and theres even mudokons to save to, theyre probably the blind ones ;(

vorpal blade
09-26-2006, 10:22 AM
I've only played Oddysee and Exoddus, but I beat them both with the good ending on my fist try. Some parts are insanely hard, but beating them gives a great sense of satisfaction. of the two, I think Exoddus had better gameplay, was harder, was bigger, and had a better story, but Oddysee is still awesome.

Dreddz
09-26-2006, 05:38 PM
Im more fond of Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee, but Oddworld: Abe's Exoddus is also really good. The later games for the Xbox ruined the series for me.

ShunNakamura
09-26-2006, 05:50 PM
I have only played Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee and not even too much of it.

Long time ago on one New Years Eve night. More pop came out our noses than we swallowed. Reason being my freind who brought it over(and was dang good at it) decided to let me play. He kept telling me 'dont do this or that'.... but I never died. I could jump off edges that would kill him and my brother, but I would survive by some miracle(actually it ended up I was landing in just the right spot without ever knowing it). You name a dangerous situation and I could go straight into it and come out unscathed when no one else there could. And it wasn't graceful on my part either.

So I like it just for that memory of a fun night.

~SapphireStar~
09-26-2006, 06:14 PM
Abe's Oddysee was the only one I played and I guess I really did enjoy it. He was so cute when he'd fart :D