PDA

View Full Version : Order of files and dead computer

Xander
09-27-2006, 10:22 AM
I have two problems, today is a bit of a disaster day. (There are more problems which I know you won't be able to help with xD).

So anyway,

1. My computer has suddenly decided to display files by Name but backwards so Z - A. It's suddenly decided this is the default. Each time I say, add files to winamp, I right click and order by name again (to make it go from A-Z) but then everytime I do it again its back from Z-A, same in other places on the computer.

2. One computer here has just died...

When it starts up it says

"Scanning IDE drives.... No drive attached to FastTrak controller. The
BIOS is not installed"

Then goes to a screen saying windows wont start and you can choose to start it in safe mode/normal but none of these make a difference it just goes back round to the first message again.

Hard drive problem? Oh god, can today get worse.. (probably). :D

Flying Mullet
09-27-2006, 12:53 PM
1. If I understand you correctly, the default display for your files in Windows Explorer is to sort by name Z-A. To fix this, open up Windows Explorer and set up the sort to how you would like it, sorted by name A-Z I would presume. Then go to "Tools" -> "Folder Options..." and click on the "View" tab. You should see a button labelled "Apply to All Folders" in the "Folder views" section. Click that button. This tells Windows that you want all folder and file views to mimic the style and behavior of the current folder.

2. Have you installed any new hardware lately? It's odd that you would "just start" getting that. It almost sounds like you put some new software or hardware on your computer and it's messed up your BIOS.

Hope this helps. :)

Xander
09-27-2006, 06:25 PM
Thanks, your solution for the files seems to have worked except for in one place but hey. The second we managed to get fixed though not sure what caused it.
Thanks for your help. :)