PDA

View Full Version : Father Ted

~SapphireStar~
09-27-2006, 11:08 AM
There must be some members out there who have seen or at least heard of the classic Irish comedy Father Ted? Its one of my all time fav shows and I never get tired of watching it!

For those of who dont have a clue what Im talking about, here is a summary from Amazon:

Ted's the almost normal one, fighting the good fight to keep his sanity amid the chaos of his own household, where he lives with "poor idiot boy" Father Dougal, psychotically devoted housekeeper Mrs Doyle and foul-mouthed Father Jack, who doesn't need an excuse to hit the bottle (or smash one over someone's head) in any episode and whose vocabulary consists of just three immortal words: "Drink, Feck, Girls!"

I have to say my fav episode is "Christmassy Ted." Its so funny. The theme tune was made speically for the show by The Divine Comedy. They also did the music for "My Lovely Horse", a song Ted and Dougal entered in a Eurovision song contest!

The series was created in 1995 by Graham Linehan and Arthur Matthews. It had 3 series and finished 1st May 1998. Sadly after the final show was filmed Father Ted (Dermot Morgan) suffered a fatal heart attack. I look at it as a cult classic cause so many people remember it, young and old. They mainly remember Father Jack for his outroars of "Drink!"

I seriously suggest you clicking on at least one clip and laugh your socks off at the funniess that is Father Ted!

Some clips of Father Ted. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEK37N7rB48)
My Lovely Horse! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkvNRT6DIW0&mode=related&search=)
Speed 3! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDDLGnpHRgw&mode=related&search=)
Some other Father Ted clips, take your pick! (http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=father+ted&search=Search)

Mo-Nercy
09-27-2006, 11:11 AM
Yeah, my history teacher used to show use episodes every now and then to fill in the *nothing* lessons.

Father Ted's hilarious. I am particularly fond of the episode where the village becomes convinced that he's fascist. (That perfectly square spot of dirt on the window sure came back to bite him in the ass)

Captain Maxx Power
09-27-2006, 02:28 PM
Fantastic show, so very very funny. The whole speed with a milk float was probably my favourite, especially since all they could come up with to help him was another mass.

sephirothishere
09-27-2006, 03:23 PM
Fantastic show, so very very funny. The whole speed with a milk float was probably my favourite, especially since all they could come up with to help him was another mass.

'yes the last mass went very well......perhaps we should say another one...' hahahahahahahahahahahahahah........

i kicked bishops up the arse way before i saw father ted do it though.........

charliepanayi
09-27-2006, 08:39 PM
One of the best comedies...well....ever! It was utterly hilarious at times, and as already said the episode Speed 3 was brilliant (best closing line and best post-credits bit of any comedy I've seen XD)

Feck! Drink! Arse! etc :)

Lost Number
09-27-2006, 08:42 PM
Gods, FINALLY! A thread on Father Ted! The best thing about Speed 3 was the brick! Gods, I love that brick! And...and...and...THAT SHOW ROCKED! Best thing to ever be based on some godforsaken island called Ireland. And for those who dont know, the best episode was the one where the rugged island guys dress up in drag.

Madame Adequate
09-27-2006, 09:22 PM
Father Ted is absolutely fantastic and hilarious and inspired.

Xander
09-27-2006, 09:35 PM
It is the best (well after red dwarf) and I recently met someone who was JUST like the guy with the most boring voice in it. It was funny cos we thought of father ted and afterwards we totally understood. xD

Brian The Pink Shark
09-28-2006, 10:37 AM
One of the greatest sitcoms of all time, think of what the genius of Dermot Morgan could have gone on to do if he hadn't died :choc:

Jebus
09-28-2006, 04:27 PM
The show is absolutely billiant.

I just wish BBCAmerica showed it more often...

Quindiana Jones
09-28-2006, 06:08 PM
Father Ted, you say? *dies of love overdose*

~SapphireStar~
10-01-2006, 06:03 PM
Wow, glad to see so many fans of the show here! Made my day :D

Odaisé Gaelach
10-01-2006, 06:21 PM
My God, what a brilliant program. Probaby one of the best sitcoms ever made. It's just hilarious, and that's really all that you can say about it. :love:

Dougal: We were just talking about that fella, err, Kurt Cobain. He was from America. Huh, imagine blowing your head off with a shotgun. God, how'd he manage to survive that.

Ted: H-he didn't, he died.

Dougal: ...Ohh right.

~SapphireStar~
10-01-2006, 06:30 PM
Of course you did ...

Oh and I found some Father Ted sample clips if anyone fancies a listen!

Father Ted Site (http://www.fathertedonline.ukf.net/soundsamples.htm)
This site is great for FT fans.

Brian The Pink Shark
10-01-2006, 08:18 PM
Of course you did ...

Oh and I found some Father Ted sample clips if anyone fancies a listen!

Father Ted Site (http://www.fathertedonline.ukf.net/soundsamples.htm)
This site is great for FT fans.

the sister assumpta section is one of my favorite comedic moments evr :D :choc:

Quindiana Jones
10-01-2006, 08:33 PM
I like the racism/fascism one. Where everyone thinks he's a racist and cheers.

The random-ness of EVERYTHING in every single Father Ted episode somehow being linked at the end makes it great.

pinkmage
10-01-2006, 08:35 PM
I love the whole 'Chrissmassy Ted' episode (we watch it every christmas eve!)
and one of my favorite moments is when Ted and Dougal are in the Song for Ireland tournament and it is the moment that ted hears the song in the elevator. His face is absolutely priceless!!

I also LOVE the football episode. The over 75s idea, dougal protecting the corner flags, 'Wait a second, these are fake arms!!', its all priceless.

Novaris
10-01-2006, 11:26 PM
I luff Father Ted! *gets on knees and worships*

drunkymonkey
10-03-2006, 03:35 PM
Damn good show. I always thought that Dibley was better, but you can't beat "feck off".

Quindiana Jones
10-03-2006, 04:05 PM
I've just noticed: every single person I've ever met who has seen Father Ted has loved it. Is it possible to not like Father Ted? Hate even?

ℓσ˘кнαятαиgєℓ
10-03-2006, 04:22 PM
nothing can beat father ted. i love that fags booze and rollerblading episode when that have to give them all up for lent that my fav

~SapphireStar~
10-03-2006, 07:06 PM
I had to share this site with everyone!

Loads of Father Ted sound clips (http://www.geocities.com/lillwhites2k/bohnoel.wav)

God I cant stop laughing, the best is Graham Norton singing bohemian rhapsody!

Lost Number
10-03-2006, 09:19 PM
Gods, so many memories! I just cant say how many great moments there are in this sitcom. I'll generalize - the "dougal" face, the "oh feck I just messed this up face" (aforementioned) and "feck off"