PDA

View Full Version : FFVII vs FFVIII

Squall2
09-27-2006, 06:43 PM
Who can hate final fantasy viii?!!

Everytime i go on the internet on inal fantasy sites, i get furiated by the number of people who think that VIII is the worst game. in my opinion, it is the best. FF7 gets all the praise and may i ask why? its a good game but come on, it isnt that good. also why have square gone mad doing a compliation of ff7??? how many spin offs/games based on ff7 can they make? i also bet you that ff8 will get missed out having a sequal or anything and ffx will get it!! who else agrees with me? :confused:

Flying Mullet
09-27-2006, 06:46 PM
Who can hate final fantasy viii?!!
I don't hate it, but it's my least favorite of the series. It takes too much of a radical departure from the traditional style of Final Fantasy for me to enjoy it. It does have its strengths, but I think it would have been better suited as a game in it's own series rather than a Final Fantasy game.

boys from the dwarf
09-27-2006, 06:49 PM
because of the story and characters i've always liked FF8 more than FF7 but its very hard to pick a fave FF because FF9 has some things better than FF8, FF8 has some things better than FF9, FF6 has some things better than FF7 and it just goes on.

FF7 has a lot of fans with it being the first that most people played but its not over-rated. it gets just as much credit as most of the other FFs. saying its over-rated is usually an ignorant thing and not taking notice of people who like other FFs better. i think you'll find that the majority of FF fans like FF8.

Pharoh Amon Khan III
09-27-2006, 07:00 PM
I can hate... Without a doubt. I can try to love it, but that would require R=U and Time Compression "Theories".

So, I can't vote. Because I'm a neutral liberal who states his FAVORITE FF and doesn't believe there is a "BEST" FF.

To answer you questions FFVII has it's recognition because of the all media praise to FMVS that attracted the masses to Final Fantasy VII because if it wasn't for that, the masses would remain adamant in never touch a FF because of it's lack of stupendous graphics. This brought an unprecidented but much desired respected recognition that old FF fans had been waiting for so they could hold their head out not just proudly, and defiantly in the face or ridicule, but with knowing that they were no longer alone anymore. However...

It's like watching a great book, be squeezed down into 1:45 movie for the masses. (Starship Troopers, The Matrix, Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, Lord of the Flies, ect)

People were raving more to get to the next FMV and not the story. FFVII had both great story and graphics for it's time as all FFs, but as soon as FFVIII came out, suddenly, FFVII was dissed almost as badly as the 1st Gen of FFs. I find it sad really.

Now the reason why FFVIII probably won't get the same prestige and bonuses as FFVII is because it is the great cause of generation gap in the FF community. This game favored visuals over story in very bad way. The story had potential but was sadly, TERRIBLY executed. This is what results in all the speculation and theories and I rather like that, but if Square were to implement any of this in a sequel, remake, or anything to those means, fan-boys/girls would be devestated.

I mean, look at how they react to just the mere mention of R=U... :eek: (ducks) WHOA! Aight, that's it! I'm outta here!

Read my post here: http://forums.eyesonff.com/showthread.php?t=93493

And Final Fantasy VI, and Final Fantasy Tactics are my personal favorites. Final Fantasy IV has a place in my heart because it was my first, and lead me to play Final Fantasy I and on...

I changed my mind, I voted for FFVII. :D

Skyblade
09-27-2006, 07:14 PM

Yes, that was a most interesting post, PAK. Despite it's rather hostile nature, it was coherent for the most part (I understand the mocking of X-Box 360 fans, but it was rather unnecessary).

However, you seem to fail to realize that a "favorite" and a "best" can be one in the same. Especially since both terms are relative. To a FFVII fanboy, FFVII is the best game they've ever played. When they play a new game, they compare it to FFVII, and anything different isn't as good. Anything negative counts against the game so much that it can easily make it not as good in the eyes of a fanboy. FFVII is not only their favorite, but they honestly believe that it is better than any other.

Pharoh Amon Khan III
09-27-2006, 07:22 PM

Yes, that was a most interesting post, PAK. Despite it's rather hostile nature, it was coherent for the most part (I understand the mocking of X-Box 360 fans, but it was rather unnecessary).

However, you seem to fail to realize that a "favorite" and a "best" can be one in the same. Especially since both terms are relative. To a FFVII fanboy, FFVII is the best game they've ever played. When they play a new game, they compare it to FFVII, and anything different isn't as good. Anything negative counts against the game so much that it can easily make it not as good in the eyes of a fanboy. FFVII is not only their favorite, but they honestly believe that it is better than any other.

Exactly, and I think that's really unfair for anyone to put one game on a pedestal like that and totally disrepect the other games. Claim it your favorite, but not "The Best". Otherwise we would have a "WAR OF THE FAN-BOY/GIRLS" (Following "Lost" on ABC, This Fall) :laugh:

If there were a "best" I would say FF. X, but that's not fair, especially, when FFX-2 doesn't help the FFX Fan-boy/girl case. :laugh:

Skyblade
09-27-2006, 07:30 PM
IMO, best and favorite will always or nearly always be the same. Because favorite is the one I enjoy playing the most, and the things that make me play it more are the very things that make it a better game. If it was just a discussion of game mechanics, then my favorite might not be the best, since, while I enjoy playing the game, there may be a game out there with better gameplay than my favorite. But when speaking of the game as a whole, everything goes in. Plot, characters, gameplay, subplots, love stories, boss battles... Everything. So, while FFVII may have what I consider to be the best ability system of the series (and it does, I love the Materia system), FFVII may fall short of being the best because that system doesn't make up for what it lacks in other areas. Thus, my favorite, the one I enjoy playing the most, will almost always be the one I consider to be the overall best. And I think you will find that nearly everyone thinks that way.

Pharoh Amon Khan III
09-27-2006, 07:36 PM
I dunno Skyblade, you may as well as consider me "unlike everyone" because I see that as a very narrow-minded way of thinking...

It's like self-proclaiming Whites are better than Blacks, or Girls are smarter than Guys, and so on... Apologies to go to those extremes but that's how I see it.

Favorites over 'best' are just personal views. What most fan-boys/girls are doing is saying without a doubt and offically that their favorite game is "The Best" period.

I again refer to my previous analogy.

Skyblade
09-27-2006, 07:40 PM
I dunno Skyblade, you may as well as consider me "unlike everyone" because I see that as a very narrow-minded way of thinking...

It's like Whites are better than Blacks, or Girls are smarter than Guys, and so on... Apologies to go to those extremes but that's how I see it.

Favorites over 'best' are just personal views. What most fan-boys/girls are doing is saying without a doubt and offically that their favorite game is "The Best" period.

Except that "the Best" is a personal view too. There is no absolute way to judge the quality of the game, it is all opinion and preference. And, IMHO, saying that a game that I don't like is the best seems rather foolish.

Pharoh Amon Khan III
09-27-2006, 07:45 PM

It's like Whites are better than Blacks, or Girls are smarter than Guys, and so on... Apologies to go to those extremes but that's how I see it.

Except that "the Best" is a personal view too. There is no absolute way to judge the quality of the game, it is all opinion and preference. And, IMHO, saying that a game that I don't like is the best seems rather foolish.

... ... ... :eyebrow: :sweat: :freak: :laugh: ... Well... um... That's your opinon, dude...

Christmas
09-27-2006, 07:46 PM
I HATE IT.

Skyblade
09-27-2006, 07:48 PM
I HATE IT.

You just wish there was more PuPu, Christmas. You don't hate it.

XandrewX
09-27-2006, 07:56 PM
FF8 honestly...it's my first Final Fantasy game I played...then only I play FF7 and FF9 and FF10 and etc...It's one of the most nice games

Rydia Forever
09-27-2006, 08:55 PM
I think it is pretty good. Enjoyed it and played it many times. :)

Squall2, the reason many fans hate it is simple, yet ignorant:
they were expecting a continuation for FF7.

When that didn't happen, they bashed the game just because they can.

f f freak
09-27-2006, 09:44 PM
I like it. But it isn't in my top 5 simply because of Rinoa. I like Aeris more than Rinoa and for me that is saying something.

Goldenboko
09-27-2006, 09:59 PM
Fool Christmas can hate anything... I wonder if she's posted here yet...

Pharoh Amon Khan III
09-27-2006, 10:04 PM
Fool Christmas can hate anything... I wonder if she's posted here yet...

Yes... Yes, she has.

But what do you think about VII and VIII? I've said my peace and then some.

Squall2
09-27-2006, 10:46 PM
FF8 honestly...it's my first Final Fantasy game I played...then only I play FF7 and FF9 and FF10 and etc...It's one of the most nice games

XandrewX, i also played the games in that exact order so maybe thats why i think that viii is the best.

Rydia forever, whew, thanks lol i thaught everyone was gonna have a big go at me and teach me the difference between "best" and "favorite". well i have now learnt. well im kinda lost in this whole prophecy of best etc. well i know its off topic a bit but i also like kingdom hearts and the sequal is out friday for uk peeps! yay (watch me get reported for being off topic by some wanna-be mod!)

Rydia Forever
09-27-2006, 11:11 PM

XandrewX, i also played the games in that exact order so maybe thats why i think that viii is the best.

Rydia forever, whew, thanks lol i thaught everyone was gonna have a big go at me and teach me the difference between "best" and "favorite". well i have now learnt. well im kinda lost in this whole prophecy of best etc. well i know its off topic a bit but i also like kingdom hearts and the sequal is out friday for uk peeps! yay (watch me get reported for being off topic by some wanna-be mod!)

No problem. :) Yeah, I hope you enjoy KH2 as much as I. ^_^ Oh, and that 'Which FF is the best' nonsense came from FF7.

Really, it is best to ignore it. It is just some FF7 fanboys/girls who
just can't shut up.

If someone comes here and starts to flame you because you don't consider FF7 perfect, ignore them.

You will be the better person for it. ^_^

Shiny
09-28-2006, 01:20 AM
I'm tired of people always comparing these two games and placing it in the FF8 forum so people can post their bias. I don't hate either, but I prefer FF7.

BlueLurker
09-28-2006, 04:30 AM
Does anybody here remember the site ff8sucks? I always agreed with it. Here's an old archive of it:

http://web.archive.org/web/20020103023939/www.ff8sucks.8k.com/list.htm

To browse the rest of the site just copy and paste any URLs on it behind the archive.org URL!

LunarWeaver
09-28-2006, 04:46 AM
I love both VII and VIII. Someone stop my crazeh hijinks!

The Infinite Telomerase
09-28-2006, 05:05 AM
Probably the only game I've played where presentation actually made the game fun to play. Good thing too, since presentation was about the only thing the game had going for it. Horrible battle system, only a few decent characters, confused/lame plot (although some aspects being somewhat interesting), terrible pacing. Urgh, it could have been so ridiculously better than it was.

Orophin
09-28-2006, 05:09 AM

I so loled at that. :D The first 7 FFs had no connection, why the hell would peoples think that it would have been a continuation?

Some Peoples don't like it for the same reason you don't like a certain game, it's their opinions. I didn't like the battle system, I didn't like the junction system (and that don't mean that they are bad, I just didn't like the game system) and also the love theme that started from FFVIII... it was not that present in the older FF. FFIV had a love story with Cecil and Rosa and FFVII had the love triangle but it was not the main theme.

I voted VII, it's not in my top 3 but I liked it beter than VIII. (I love FFVI! :love:)

My_car_is_faster_than_you
09-28-2006, 06:16 AM
I agree with Orophin, I love FFVI!! VII isn't my favorite, and VIII is definitely not a favorite either.

I didn't like junctioning, and for most of the story, I was plain lost. I didn't make it past disc 2.

Elpizo
09-28-2006, 06:47 AM
I don't hate VIII at all. I finished it yesterday, BTW. And I so love Ultimecia's Castle. One of the best Final Dungeons, besides Memoria. The only thing I loathed about that creepy castle was the puzzle with teh Organ. Never worked... Ah well, I just dropped Catoblepas for my Draw ability and got save and item from Krysta and Tiamat.

VIII is clearly one of teh best in the series, beating VII in many, many ways. It brought back some thing I liked in the first FF's, like spell-charges. While most people loath drawing, I liked it! And junctionign was certainly interesting, if not a bit abusable.

But the best about VIII is the story, which just draws you in from teh very first moment, or it doesn't, and then you aren't going to like the game. All this stuff about Sorceresses was great. And peopel who say Ultimecia is a horrible villain because she had no reason at all, well, Kefka, one of teh best villains, had almost next to no reason to do all his evil stuff. He just was evil because they messed with his brain a bit. Or ExDeath, another great villain, had no reason at all, besides wantign that shiny Void.

And of course, Limit Breaks! Those rocked in this game and I loved them.

Over all this was a great game really, while it had it's boring parts (sidequests are okay, but tons of them to keep you busy for days? NO.)
It had such an interesting storyline and great graphics, it made it all worth it. People who say VIII sucks and say they are FF-fans, well, are just plain wrong.
I find it hard to choose my fav: VIII or IX. I keep it at a draw.
But VIII's better than VII. (And yes I played and finished VII, and loved it.)

Off-topic: Yay! FF I till IX finished. :)

vorpal blade
09-28-2006, 09:50 AM
FFVIII is one of my least favorite FF games. First off, the story was a bit confusing with all the different sorceresses, and that was the only real story the game had. True, there was a small story of laguna's past that was actually interesting, but that's about it. And unlike most FF games where each character has an interesting backstory, the FFVIII characters did not. And while the graphics were amazing (the opening cinematics are awesome) the gameplay, which in my opinopn is much more important, was not. I felt junctioning to be interesting but it could use a little work. I didn't like having a set amount of spells, but drawing was an interesting idea that I liked. The game also had some good music, but as memorable as the other games. But espite my objection to the game, I wouldn't mind seeing an FFVIII game about Laguna during the war.

FFVII was much better, I think. It was the first FF I played and is my favorite for many reasons. But to sum it up, FFVII did right what FFVIII did wrong. The story, while complex and a bit confusing, was deep and compelling. The characters each had an interesting backstory and emotions (another thing FFVIII lacked). The music was great and the graphics very good for its time. Though I say FFVII may be a tad overrated, and its popularity probably was largely based on its graphics, there is no way in my opinion that FFVIII comes close to FFVII.

Elpizo
09-28-2006, 02:53 PM
FFVII was much better, I think. It was the first FF I played and is my favorite for many reasons. But to sum it up, FFVII did right what FFVIII did wrong. The story, while complex and a bit confusing, was deep and compelling. The characters each had an interesting backstory and emotions (another thing FFVIII lacked). The music was great and the graphics very good for its time. Though I say FFVII may be a tad overrated, and its popularity probably was largely based on its graphics, there is no way in my opinion that FFVIII comes close to FFVII.
In my opinion, VIII surpasses VII in every way because VII reused so many things of VI while VIII was completely new, and tried different things. VIII tried to be different, and most people loath it. Now With XII and XIII they do so many new things, and people love them? Weird. Oh well, each on his own opinion and you explained it very nicely. Good points for ya. :)

Polaris
09-28-2006, 03:15 PM
I dind't vote coz:

FF8 has:

Quistis
Zell
Seifer
Edea
Great Junction system
GFs
Magazines
Graphics man, the graphics! :D

But ff7 has:

A great story
Battle system that u get addicted
Yuffie
Vincent
Cait Sith
Amazing weapons

Rydia Forever
09-28-2006, 03:34 PM
I so loled at that. The first 7 FFs had no connection, why the hell would peoples think that it would have been a continuation?

Well, fans thought that FF8 would be before it first came out, considering how well FF7 did.

And when that didn't happen, well, FF8 took the heat from the fans(many of them, not all). :(

Well, enough about that. Let us forget FF7 here for now. :) The pros I found in FF8 were abundance:

Nice battle system.
Nice graphics for the time.
Squall.^_^
Interesting story.
GF depth.
Nice music.
Awesome Limit Breaks.

That is just to name a few. :)

BlueLurker
09-28-2006, 04:39 PM
Guess I'll give my insight...

The battle system in FFVIII was not nice! Drawing 100 magic spells so I can never use them because I want good stats isnt' fun. The Junction system is garbage. Makes the game way too easy.

The GF's are a mystery. Why do they help you? They don't get any gain from it. They don't even have a storyline and play a huge role in the game.

The limit breaks also make the game way too easy. I rarely attacked normally, just used limits. It's not like you're in danger if your HP is low seeing as you have Curaga junctioned to your HP at level 15.

Story was not interesting. Saying it was horrible is putting it nicely. I wasn't dying to see Squall and Rinoa hug and kiss like I was dying to see Cloud and Sephiroth duke it out. Squall was a WUSS! He's a main character with no character.

I gave up on Final Fantasy after VIII, but it's still not that bad of a game I guess. I tried IX and quit once I got out of the first forest. Bo-ring. I saw my friend play FFX and I hated the voices, the look of the characters (cliche/insipid), and the graphics. FFI-VIII is where it is for me!

Polaris
09-28-2006, 04:41 PM
No one dies in FF8 :( That'a huge point for FF7!

The Infinite Telomerase
09-28-2006, 04:57 PM
You forgot the numerous other FF games where people died (and far more often).

Squall2
09-28-2006, 05:10 PM
FFVIII braught final fantasy to a new level. tried new things and made it futuristic. people who didnt get past the 2nd disk are just plain
dumbass. i mean, im not saying i hate final fantasy 7, i actually love it but it came no way near to ff8. i see your point about squall, at times i felt like punching him in the face but that was part of his character. also in my opinion, i would like to have a limit-break when my health is low to help me and not have 1000 battles before i can use one. oh yeah, how sad can BlueLurker be to go and actually take time to find a website that is dedicated to hating final fantasy viii? it must not have been very succesfull to be taken off the web and put in to an archive! :moomba:

Rydia Forever
09-28-2006, 06:10 PM
Now that I have said my part on the pros, here comes the cons.

I'll admit. I did like Squall, but he did get annoying at times, and tiresome.

I do like the Limit Breaks and how nice they look, but I agree about them being much too strong, making any challenge in this game, well, nothing.

Other than that, FF8 was pretty cool. Hmm, I like the pros and cons it seems.
I do wish the characters had more development, but oh well.

oh yeah, how sad can BlueLurker be to go and actually take time to find a website that is dedicated to hating final fantasy viii? it must not have been very succesfull to be taken off the web and put in to an archive!

Agreed. ;)

Pharoh Amon Khan III
09-28-2006, 06:56 PM
Now that I have said my part on the pros, here comes the cons.

I'll admit. I did like Squall, but he did get annoying at times, and tiresome.

I do like the Limit Breaks and how nice they look, but I agree about them being much too strong, making any challenge in this game, well, nothing.

Other than that, FF8 was pretty cool. Hmm, I like the pros and cons it seems.
I do wish the characters had more development, but oh well.

oh yeah, how sad can BlueLurker be to go and actually take time to find a website that is dedicated to hating final fantasy viii? it must not have been very succesfull to be taken off the web and put in to an archive!

Agreed. ;)

Final Fantasy VIII SUCKS is an old website that premiered closely to the release of Final Fantasy after it started breeding more eye-candy hoaring fan-boys/girls. And thus began the GREAT DIVIDE...

Much like the Bi-Partisian America.

FFVIII sucked, though biased in it's opinion, did point out some obvious flaws in the FFVIII game.

*~Angel Wing~*
09-28-2006, 09:11 PM
I just have one thing to say...

FINAL FANTASY VIII IS THE BEST GAME EVER!!!

The Kingdom Hearts series comes in 2nd!!!
:heart: :monkey: :choc2: :moomba: :kaohappy2 :kaolove: :kaolove2: :thumb: :jess: :heart: :jess: :thumb: :kaolove2: :kaolove: :kaohappy2 :moomba: :choc2: :monkey: :heart:

http://www.ffworld.com/images/ff/ff8/logo.jpg
:heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:

:heart: :heart: :heart:
:heart:
:bigbiggri

I'm tired of people always comparing these two games and placing it in the FF8 forum so people can post their bias. I don't hate either, but I prefer FF7.
Yes, I agree this should be in the General FF forum.

Pharoh Amon Khan III
09-28-2006, 10:29 PM
I just have one thing to say...

FINAL FANTASY VIII IS THE BEST GAME EVER!!!

The Kingdom Hearts series comes in 2nd!!!
:heart: :monkey: :choc2: :moomba: :kaohappy2 :kaolove: :kaolove2: :thumb: :jess: :heart: :jess: :thumb: :kaolove2: :kaolove: :kaohappy2 :moomba: :choc2: :monkey: :heart:

http://www.ffworld.com/images/ff/ff8/logo.jpg
:heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:

:heart: :heart: :heart:
:heart:
:bigbiggri

Yes, I agree this should be in the General FF forum.

Too late, there's already a thread like it... Here:

http://forums.eyesonff.com/showthread.php?t=93493

Squall2
09-28-2006, 11:04 PM
you seem to want to flog that thread dont you lol. also i thaught of another thing that was annoying about 8, the fact that some GF's you have to draw them and first time round newbies might miss them. to balance it out why the hell did cloud have a sword that was 1000 times too big for him and he spun it round with one hand! LMAO :D

look at this FF7 spoof LMAO http://egoraptor.webmoron.net/flashff7.html
Sorry the page is kinda crappy but the official site doesnt seem to be working.

Pharoh Amon Khan III
09-29-2006, 12:05 AM
you seem to want to flog that thread dont you lol. also i thaught of another thing that was annoying about 8, the fact that some GF's you have to draw them and first time round newbies might miss them. to balance it out why the hell did cloud have a sword that was 1000 times too big for him and he spun it round with one hand! LMAO :D

look at this FF7 spoof LMAO http://egoraptor.webmoron.net/flashff7.html
Sorry the page is kinda crappy but the official site doesnt seem to be working.

First off...I'm trying to 'flog' the thread... Even though I don't know what that mean... :confused: But I'm not doin' that... I think...

Second, uh... The comic was... uh... comical...? It made some strong points about the racial stereo-types in FFVII, but not overall in a good comic-chemistry.

Third... In FFVIII... Why did they try to distract you in the game by using Pokemon Hunting as a means to distract you away from the main part of the story? I mean, FOR THE LOVE OF THE WIDOW!!! You spend more time looking for GF because it's the only thing that makes sense to do in-between the mysterious black-outs and terrible story. The GFs are Pokemon! POKEMON!!! You Gotta Catch 'Em All! GOTTA CATCH 'EM ALL!!!!!

BardTard
09-29-2006, 12:36 AM
FF8 was my favorite ever :D

BlueLurker
09-29-2006, 02:30 AM
Final Fantasy VIII SUCKS is an old website that premiered closely to the release of Final Fantasy after it started breeding more eye-candy hoaring fan-boys/girls. And thus began the GREAT DIVIDE...

FFVIII sucked, though biased in it's opinion, did point out some obvious flaws in the FFVIII game.
Well, at least someone remembers it...:tongue:

Squall2, it took less than 2 minutes to find that site... and seeing as it was hosted on a site like 8k.com, it's not surprising that it's no longer around except in archives.:eep:

Pharoh Amon Khan III
09-29-2006, 02:45 AM

Well, at least someone remembers it...:tongue:

Squall2, it took less than 2 minutes to find that site... and seeing as it was hosted on a site like 8k.com, it's not surprising that it's no longer around except in archives.:eep:

Thanks, but I couldn't get the site to come up.

And to add... GFs=POKEMON!!!!!!

Psychotic
09-29-2006, 04:47 AM
Everytime i go on the internet on inal fantasy sites, i get furiated by the number of people who think that VIII is the worst game. Why does that infuriate you? Does the fact that they think it's the worst FF somehow make the game worse for you? You put it best yourself:
in my opinion, it is the best.

I prefer FFVII to FFVIII, and I do in fact think FFVIII is the worst in the series, but that doesn't mean I hate FFVIII. It's still a very good game. It's just not the best Final Fantasy title, in my opinion. Now, if my belief that FFVII is better than FFVIII has somehow ruined FFVIII for you, then I'm dreadfully sorry.

Anywho, this is a comparison between two FF's, so it belongs in General FF. I also took the liberty of renaming the thread just so that it doesn't turn into an FFVIII bashing thread. (asking people if they hate something is a bad idea)

Polaris
09-29-2006, 12:12 PM
Ok FF8 wins! :) But still would be much better if someone died! (excpet Ultimecia of course)

Rydia Forever
09-29-2006, 03:35 PM
The GFs are Pokemon! POKEMON!!! You Gotta Catch 'Em All! GOTTA CATCH 'EM ALL!!!!!

Well, if you needed every GF I would agree. Try a No-Junction challenge. ;)

Dell
09-29-2006, 03:47 PM
Final Fantasy VII but I'm pretty biased....: I've never played Final Fantasy VIII.

Bolivar
09-30-2006, 07:05 AM
I can hate... Without a doubt. I can try to love it, but that would require R=U and Time Compression "Theories".

So, I can't vote. Because I'm a neutral liberal who states his FAVORITE FF and doesn't believe there is a "BEST" FF.

To answer you questions FFVII has it's recognition because of the all media praise to FMVS that attracted the masses to Final Fantasy VII because if it wasn't for that, the masses would remain adamant in never touch a FF because of it's lack of stupendous graphics. This brought an unprecidented but much desired respected recognition that old FF fans had been waiting for so they could hold their head out not just proudly, and defiantly in the face or ridicule, but with knowing that they were no longer alone anymore. However...

It's like watching a great book, be squeezed down into 1:45 movie for the masses. (Starship Troopers, The Matrix, Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, Lord of the Flies, ect)

People were raving more to get to the next FMV and not the story. FFVII had both great story and graphics for it's time as all FFs, but as soon as FFVIII came out, suddenly, FFVII was dissed almost as badly as the 1st Gen of FFs. I find it sad really.

Now the reason why FFVIII probably won't get the same prestige and bonuses as FFVII is because it is the great cause of generation gap in the FF community. This game favored visuals over story in very bad way. The story had potential but was sadly, TERRIBLY executed. This is what results in all the speculation and theories and I rather like that, but if Square were to implement any of this in a sequel, remake, or anything to those means, fan-boys/girls would be devestated.

I mean, look at how they react to just the mere mention of R=U... :eek: (ducks) WHOA! Aight, that's it! I'm outta here!

And Final Fantasy VI, and Final Fantasy Tactics are my personal favorites. Final Fantasy IV has a place in my heart because it was my first, and lead me to play Final Fantasy I and on...

I changed my mind, I voted for FFVII. :D

PAK, I really enjoy alot of your opinions, and we agree on alot of things when it comes to FF (like this thread's question in particular)

BUT FOR THE LOVE OF EVERYTHING HOLY STOP THEORIZING ON WHY PEOPLE UNJUSTLY LIKE FFVII

Yes, there's alot of fanboys that have FFVII as their favorite/best, and bash all others in their stubborness, but there's just as many (IF NOT MORE) people on this site that do the same for FFVI & IX.

Back to the topic, VIII is better than VII in many, many ways. But when it comes down to the game experience, it can't compare to VII.

The supporting characters have little to no backstory, which is a major factor that made VI and VII so damn good. It had a variety of characters, with different backgrounds and personalities, and they all had different reasons for wanting to save the planet.

On top of that, VII's story (IMO) is possibly the deepest in the series. It has to do with not only the planet, but the existence of human beings, what happens to us when we die, and what we are capable of afterwards. It dealt with loss, poverty, technology, culture, and the idea of being used by others. On multiple levels.

To me, story, along with gameplay, is everything in an RPG. and FFVIII's story cannot compare to VII's.

The battles were alot slower, too, and the fast-paced (and fun) battles in VII is something that will always give it an edge over FFVIII and IX.

I enjoyed VIII alot, and I most definately don't consider it a horrible game, but Cid Highwind's theme song alone destroys Final Fantasy VIII.

To quote Mobb Deep, FFVII is that

"sh*t that make you feel sh*t"

Yuffie514
09-30-2006, 08:10 AM
i have always enjoyed a great deal of time with Final Fantasy VIII. it was like an epic adventure.

Squall2
09-30-2006, 09:17 PM
what did you all think of the way that the people in ff9 were half animal?! also im not sure about how FF12 will work as square have a new obsession with MORPG's (or whatever they are called), and ff12 is like an online game but is offline. hmmm..... BTW i got KH2 today, not played it yet

Rydia Forever
09-30-2006, 10:06 PM
BTW i got KH2 today, not played it yet

Play it! :)

what did you all think of the way that the people in ff9 were half animal?!

If you mean Zidane . . . he isn't a animal. Though Freya is . . . in a way. ;)

Lets get back on topic.

The supporting characters have little to no backstory, which is a major factor that made VI and VII so damn good. It had a variety of characters, with different backgrounds and personalities, and they all had different reasons for wanting to save the planet.

True. That was one of my problems with FFVIII. The characters, other than Squall and Rinoa, had little to no development.

Though I can't say I have a major favorite character from either FFVII or FFVIII.

On top of that, VII's story (IMO) is possibly the deepest in the series. It has to do with not only the planet, but the existence of human beings, what happens to us when we die, and what we are capable of afterwards. It dealt with loss, poverty, technology, culture, and the idea of being used by others. On multiple levels.

Once again, true. Although, loss, poverty, technology, culture and the idea of being used by others also had big parts in FFVIII.

The battles were alot slower, too, and the fast-paced (and fun) battles in VII is something that will always give it an edge over FFVIII and IX.

Good point. Though a major weakness in FFVII's Battle System were Materia.

MUCH TOO POWERFUL! Reminds me of the Limit Breaks from Final FantasyVIII. ;)

I enjoyed VIII alot, and I most definately don't consider it a horrible game, but Cid Highwind's theme song alone destroys Final Fantasy VIII.

Cool. ^_^ Although, I hope that remark about how one song in FFVII beats out FFVIII was a joke. :(

Squall2
10-01-2006, 08:17 AM
Third... In FFVIII... Why did they try to distract you in the game by using Pokemon Hunting as a means to distract you away from the main part of the story? I mean, FOR THE LOVE OF THE WIDOW!!! You spend more time looking for GF because it's the only thing that makes sense to do in-between the mysterious black-outs and terrible story. The GFs are Pokemon! POKEMON!!! You Gotta Catch 'Em All! GOTTA CATCH 'EM ALL!!!!!

When the hell do you have to go in search of GF's? only the secret ones if you can be bothered. Most GF's are drawn from bosses as you go through the GREAT story line. So they are not pokemon. FF7 summons are pokemon as you get them in little pokeballs lmao

Pokeballs being the materia balls oviously

Decessus
10-01-2006, 09:22 AM
Ranting fanboys infuriate me.

I actually thought FF7 and 8 were step downs, and believe it or not, FF7 through 9 were my first FF games. FF8 was my least favorite of the series, but I don't hate it.

Rocket Edge
10-01-2006, 05:52 PM
Yeah, interesting post, some things you mentioned i agreed on, but i disagree with you on your views on VIII, well for me anyway.
I thought it had plenty of imagination, and keeping in mind that i know that every final fantasy has to intel fantasy in them, it concentrated alot on, or you could say, it's main focus, on the relateshinship with Rinoa & Squall.
VIII is my favourite.

~SapphireStar~
10-01-2006, 07:29 PM
Final Fantasy 8 is IMO the all tme best Final Fantasy ever created and is one of the best RPGs Ive ever played. Ive never found fault with it and still enjoy it today after first playing it 7 years ago.

Alexander
10-01-2006, 08:21 PM
Well... this is the hardest poll I've ever tried to vote to. That's because I truly madly deeply hate both VII and VIII. :p

Well, I can try to confirm which one I don't hate as much, but...

FFVII Hate List

I hate Cloud. And his Limits.
I hate Aerith.
I hate Tifa. And her Limits.
I hate Cloud/Aerith. And Cloud/Tifa. And Cloud/Sephiroth.
I TRULY MADLY DEEPLY hate Barret. And his Limits.
I hate Cid. And his Limits.
I hate Vincent.
I hate Cait Sith's Limits.
I don't like the Turks. But I do not hate them. @.@
I actually LIKE Jenova. And no hate for Hojo.
I TRULY MADLY DEEPLY hate Sephiroth. Always. Forever.
I don't like now Materia system ended up as a joke of itself, with Master materias. But in no way I hate Materia system.
I TRULY MADLY DEEPLY hate Chocobo breeding and Gold Saucer.
I hate Neo Bahamut, Bahanut-ZERO, and Knights of the Round.
I TRULY MADLY DEEPLY hate FFVII Advent Children. Really.
I hate the hype for FFVII and spin-offs.

FFVIII Hate List

I hate Squall. And Renzokuken.
I hate Rinoa. And Angelo (the Limit Break - how can I hate a dog? @_@)
I actually LOVE Angel Wing.
I TRULY MADLY DEEPLY hate Squall/Rinoa. And Squall/Seifer. And all the other pairings.
I hate Zell's Duel and Sephie's Slots.
I don't hate any of the other playable characters, but since they are not developed AT ALL, I can't like them.
I actually LIKE Edea. She would be perfect as the true villain.
I TRULY MADLY DEEPLY hate Seifer. No hate for Fujin and Raijin though.
I hate Ultimecia and her total lack of development.
I totally hate Junction system and how monsters "level up with you". The game is waaay too easy either if you overlevel or if you don't level up at all.
I actually LOVE Triple Triad. But the Chocobo mini-game is booooring.
I hate Quezacotl/Quetzalcoatl. I want my Ramuh. I also hate Pandemona. But I loved Doomtrain. <3

Veredict? I REALLY hate FFVII waaay more than FFVIII. =X *votes on FFVIII* I still don't like FFVIII, though.

Squall2
10-03-2006, 06:54 PM
well FF8 holds more votes currently. FF8 had the best mni-game of all time, the triple traid system. FF9 had something similar but was just plain rubbish. FFX had blitzball, which was ok. FFx-2 (in my opinion should have never even existed) has the most crappy maths puzzle, sphere break. FF11 is so CRAP as its online and they make you pay £30 for the game and then another £10 per month to play it!

Bolivar
10-03-2006, 08:14 PM
well FF8 holds more votes currently. FF8 had the best mni-game of all time, the triple traid system. FF9 had something similar but was just plain rubbish.

once again, people gotta start distinguishing fact from opinion. I liked IX's tetra master alot better and played it alot more than triple triad, which I hardly spend any time with when I play VIII.

bipper
10-05-2006, 06:36 PM
VIII winds, because it has one more I.

Abotiz
09-24-2008, 08:09 AM
The majority of pepole who started to play the FF series began with FF 7. And an answer to the question why FF8 is not as good as FF7 is similar to how your first love is more special than the other.
Its that simple.

Also, FF7 had really strong emotions in it, like Aeris dying, the first time i played FF7 I wanted to break everything in my home and kill anyone with the name of Sephiroth, And last but NOT least the Fricking Materia System!!!!!

Montoya
09-24-2008, 08:27 AM
Final Fantasy VIII.:jess:

McLovin'
09-24-2008, 07:00 PM
33 for FF8 now. gogo.

Zeromus_X
09-24-2008, 08:35 PM
Please don't revive two-year old threads. In the future, please keep an eye out for the dates of posts- if a thread is more than several months old, just make a new one. Thanks!