PDA

View Full Version : Valkyrie Profile: Silmeria reactions.

Zeromus_X
09-28-2006, 01:54 AM
HAWTNESSHAWTNESSHAWTNESSHAWTNESSHAWTNESS

tri-Ace alert!!!!!111oneeleventay :cat: :love: :cat: :love: :cat:

I just opened the case. I will now proceed to whore this game for all it's worth, like I would any other tri-Ace game...:cat::love:

Share your reactions to VP2 here.

Edit: I've just been past the first couple of cutscenes. I'm liking it so far. The voice acting seems just fine (though I have nothing to compare it to, I don't usually complain about that anyway), and the graphics, I mean, WOW. The FMVs are spectacular, and the in-game graphics are just great.

Now to see what this new battle system is all about...

Edit: Oh wow! There's a bit more strategy, here. I hope I don't become overwhelmed by all things to know about the system...xD

As for the sound, all the music sounds great so far. I'm used to Sakuraba doing mostly rockin' stuff, so there's a bit more orchestral stuff in this one (well, so far. I know for sure that Incarnation of Devil is in this). I really dig the battle theme though!

Edit: I'm now in Dipan Castle.

I'm starting to catch on to the battle system now. My characters have leveled up, and as such, can cream all the monsters in the area. I'm sure this can't last long, of course. I love the dash feature!

*dash*

*kill*

*win*

But for whatever reason, I haven't been able to perform a 'Soul Crush' yet (which I believe are Silmeria's version of the Purify Wierd Soul attacks). I guess they're introduced later or something. I've filled up the bar to 100 before...

Final Edit: Whew, little over four hours. Time for bed~

It seems that you need to equip a weapon that enables a special attack to perform a Soul Crush. But with that, they function similarly to PWS, combo bar and all.

Nibelung Valesti looks impressive! But maybe Alicia can put a bit more spirit into it...although I guess that's a part of her character.

And....LEZARD! :cat: :love: The epitome of hawsomness now has a hot new voice actor! He sounds alot more formal than before, though that's probably just because he's being coy. Although, I haven't heard any english voice actor that's as deep a voice as Takehito Koyasu. Still, much better in my opinion then the original VA for him, although it detracts from his insanity a bit. But of course, that's probably just because he's acting that way...I'm on to you Lezard...he got all surprised when Silmeria mentioned mind-reading...:cat:

Anyway, my party is Alicia, Dylan, Rufus, and Lezard (how original). They're all at level 5. I'll be planning on going through another dungeon to Corriander tomorrow.

"I cannot deny your effort...though it will take more than that to match up to me."

*doesn't remember exact quote right this moment*

ValkyrieWing
09-28-2006, 06:24 AM
KOYASU FOR THE WIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LunarWeaver
09-28-2006, 07:12 AM
This game looks all fancy pants to me. I'm definitely going to give it a shot. Between high scores, an action based battle system, yummy eye candy graphics, and Zero's squeelicious over the game who could not be excited for it?

ValkyrieWing
09-28-2006, 07:16 AM
We have it at work...OoO *shoked* But we're sold our of the strat gude. XD

Necronopticous
09-28-2006, 08:15 AM
Didn't get to play much today, but I loved what little I did play. The new battle system seems fresh and at the same time gives me a wave of nostalgia. Alicia is so hot.

Zeromus_X
09-29-2006, 02:21 AM
Hm...the game seems to be getting tougher, or I'm just underleveled. Probably the latter, since levels are so narrow in VP, even a few levels can make a difference in strength.

I'm in the *starts with a G* Mountain Ruins. I have to go back and get a treasure chest I missed (I can't figure out how to get up there! ;_; ), and I died on this dragon boss. xD I did get Leone and what seems to be an alternate-life Arngrim.

I could also have crappy equipment...that's probably why. But man, Oth is sure hard to come by! Still, I prefer this than playing some typical breezy RPG.

Alicia is so hot.

But Lezard is hotter. :cat:

Jowy
09-30-2006, 08:09 AM
The battle system is just wondrous. And Alicia's effing crazy. <3

Zeromus_X
10-01-2006, 03:37 AM
Hm...the difficulty is really starting to increase. Oth isn't such a problem now, but the bosses have really started gaining an edge (freaking Kraken!! Argh!!!1one). I still don't completely understand how Runes work yet, though I guess this (the Rune skill system) prevents you from becoming completely overpowered really quickly.

Still, not a complaint...it's just interesting to see what's changed and what's similar.

On a positive note, battles are starting to implement more elements of the battle system to be put to use (moving around and destroying certain parts of the battlefield to aid in battle, using Sealstones to help against enemies, etc).

ValkyrieWing
10-01-2006, 05:19 AM
You're liking it, then?

Zeromus_X
10-01-2006, 07:00 AM
Oh yes, of course! I just got a Great Magic staff for Lezard *megadrool* Now I just need a Soul Crush bow for Rufus, and I'm all set and ready for pwnage...:cat:

I finally beat that dang Kraken! Nothing going through those other two (apparently optional) dungeons and leveling up couldn't fix!

And...something with Rufus' ring...more 'elf vessel' stuff popping up. The story is certainly getting more interesting!

Dreddz
10-01-2006, 01:06 PM
Must......buy......game....

~SapphireStar~
10-01-2006, 06:59 PM
Need this game like I need air!!

Jowy
10-01-2006, 11:56 PM
The difficulty really spikes once Lezard joins, holy crap.

Zeromus_X
10-02-2006, 12:55 AM
Oh, just wait until later (I'm at the Palace of the Dragon now*). Where are you at now, Jowy?

Now I've discovered a rather negative flaw. There's no way I'm underleveled, since I'm at least two levels higher than the recent Einherjar I've been finding. Battles can really take a long time. Especially since SCs do rather unimpressive damage and big enemies that are quite common have a boatload of HP. My equipment still probably isn't the most impressive (I'll save a guide for my second playthrough), but I should still be able to do more damage than this. I know I was happy at a more difficult Valkyrie Profile game...but still...

On the bright side, Rufus was the only one left alive when I killed the Hydra and he gained four levels. ^_^

*Kickass music!

Black Mage
10-02-2006, 02:18 AM
Alright. After skipping class and calling into work on Thursday, I completed the "Main Story" of the English version today, and I'll outline my opinions of various aspects. I'll be avoiding spoilers as well.

My first impression of the English Localization came from the various trailers that sprouted up maybe a month ago or so. After playing through the game I'm all over the spectrum as to where I was before.

The translation is perfect. Mirror image of the Japanese. Characters for the most part are saying pretty much direct translations of the original dialogue, which is a relief. Though the translation does lack the "flair" the original had, or perhaps "extra care" would be a better term. I am still happy with the direct translations.

It is instead the voice acting where my opinions shotgun, as expected. I feel the general casting was decent. Most noteably, I was very impressed with Alicia's VA. As for Silmeria, I think the actress did a nice job, but for whatever reason she wasn't doing it for me. It might be because she did Ridley Silverlake's voice in Radiata Stories, a character I'm not particularly fond of, and I associate her voice with that character, but I don't know. She did well enough, just my own personal tastes oppose. Arngrim's voice was one I really did not care for. What it really just boils down to is a poor imitation of Blaustein's Arngrim in the original Valkyrie Profile. I commend the effort, but it's really just a poor showing. I still think Rufus' voice was too deep, and the VA really suffered from what a lot of the cast did: Lack of Emotion. A lot of the lines are just read, without any sort of emotion or passion. This really shows with most of the Mages while casting their normal spells.

I was really disappointed with one aspect in particular of the Voice Acting, though. It's the one area where the Localization could have improved upon the original Japanese. Instead, Einherjar still share voice actors and voice samples. I did not expect for any sort of modification of the story, or Soul Crushes, but I did have my hopes up that each Einherjar would, this time, sport a different VA, or at the least different line readings. Unfortunately not.

As for Lezard's VA, he's not too bad. Certainly my least favorite of any by a large margin (Except, perhaps, Radiata Stories' Lezard, but even then if I remember it correctly I even think that one might've been better).

It's a shame Maddie Blaustein did not return for the role (Despite claims that s/he couldn't voice Lezard in this manner), nor a suitable substitute for Koyasu Takehito was casted. The English VA doesn't do a terrible job, but he just did not meet my expectations.

All in all, I'm happy with the localization, but I find it to be average at best.

The English guide is another matter all together. I picked up the guide when I bought the game. Though, I hadn't taken a look through it until earlier today after I finished the game, and it really is terrible. Not even just incomplete bad, but inaccurate bad. In leafing through some of the Boss Monsters, I can attest that the incorrect numbers are supplied for the stats. In comparing it to all three of the Japanese guides (The Official Complete, The Master, and the Final Guides) a pattern develops which shows a complete lack of Quality control at Brady Games. The boss stat boxes are laid out in two tables. The Stat-labeled rows vary from monster to monster, but are set up in generally the same manner. I'll use the monster "Lady Cleo" as my example. Her tables are set up as:

Name: Lady Cleo
Species: Unholy Magic
Item: Azure Sealpouch, Supreme Garb
ATK: 200
AVD: 280
MAG: 58
RDM: 50
---------- End Table One
Hit: 10
RST: 50
Fire: None
Ice: None
Lightning: -50%
Earth: 100%
Holy: 50%
---------- End Table Two

Now, this is incorrect. The numbers listed are correct, just not for the particular stats they associate them with. If you go through the columns reading them in this order, you get the correct statistics:

ATK
MAG
HIT
AVD
RDM
RST

This appears to work for the monsters I have checked, but I haven't made a throrough sweep through, so there may be some differences. Also, the element affinities are correct.

I sincerely recommend that you do not buy the English Guide and instead pick up any one of the three Japanese guides. They contain much more information and are not strewn with inaccuracies.

Zeromus_X
10-02-2006, 06:26 AM
Hopefully by the time I clear everything, someone on Gamefaqs will have made a guide for the English version for when I play it the second time. ^_^.

Just got to Chapter Four. The story's really picking up now. Too bad a certain *somebody* had to leave my party. Now that I know who's leaving (I guess I cheated...), swift party rearrangements were made. This new party is actually more effective than the last one, actually.

Jowy
10-02-2006, 04:18 PM
I just hit chapter 3, Zeromus. Going into the ruins to get the stone dais.

ValkyrieWing
10-03-2006, 07:17 AM
KOYASU FTW.

Zeromus_X
10-04-2006, 01:36 AM
In Chapter Five...guys, if you get stuck, just remember it's all worth it for Chapter Five. The difficulty tones down then, and the story really starts to pick up. There are some really tough bosses though.

Super-spoilers, read at your own risk!

Ull and Aesir Defender was very tough. That probably took over half and hour.

Hrist and Arngrim was also very tough. I must've tried at least ten times to beat them.

That wierd...tree...thing... in the Forest of Spirits was pretty easy. Just kill all the jewels as fast as you can, then wail on his transparent behind.

The run to Bifrost was irritating. But Bifrost was so pretty! tri-Ace wins just for making such an awesome dungeon. The group of Aesir and the Kraken model-swap 'Dimension Beast' were easy. Rufus' Spinning Thorn ftw! I got over a 100 hit combo! Heimnell was moderately easy. His attacks hurt, but he's really shor-ranged, and with a wide battlefield,that means *dash dash away* *run into corner* *lure him in* *dash away* *heal* *go behind him* *combo* *repeat*

I'm still trying to defeat Odin on top of Yggdrasil.

Also...

watch out for using story party members! That is, not the normal Einherjar. If you don't mind some spoilers, read on for a list of the party members that leave.

Leone and Arngrim leave at the end of Chapter Three.

Dylan and Lezard (;_; ) leave at the end of Chapter Four.

I hear if you power level them to insane abounts that you get really overpowered equipment or something, but it just doesn't seem worth it to me.

So now my party is Alicia, level 39, Fraudir, level 38, Rufus, level 37, and Aegis, level 38.

Jowy
10-05-2006, 05:53 AM
Nice disguise, Leone. The purple seems so inviting and not a valkyrie.

ValkyrieWing
10-05-2006, 07:14 AM
*is poor*

Zeromus_X
10-06-2006, 04:50 AM
You poor thing, don't you get some sort of discount for working at a game store? The creator Tria demands that you obtain this game somehow!

I'm now on the final boss. The first form anyway. MAJOR SPOILERS AHEAD.

The final boss is Lezard himself. He travelled back in time, and screwed with the sequence of events, causing a distortion. He's stolen the Gugnir, and Odin's soul, and become as powerful as a god. Hell, he's so freaking powerful he's created his own world! Lenneth comes back from the future to try and stop him. I must tell you, having Brahms, Hrist, Lenneth, and later Silmeria (after an encounter with Homunculi) all in your party is one sweet feeling. But the valkyries leave the party after you fight Lezard the first time. The final dungeon is amazingly beautiful, especially the final area. It's also a great place for exp, with the 'Experience Pig Law', I can make around half a million Exp a battle.

Anyway, Lezard plans on fusing himself with Lenneth so he can 'become a creator with her' (yes, we all know Lezard is cuckoo, but that's why we all love him so much. :love: ), and you have to fight him with the crystal with Lenneth inside it in the center of the room. Lezard surrounds himself with the pages from his book (which may or may not be the Philosopher's Stone, considering it's almost endless supply of pages...), and you have to attack him until he's stunned. Then you have to attack the crystal with Lenneth in it to free her. But I can't even perform an adequate combo before he revitalizes himself and the shield goes over the crystal again!

Apparently, Alicia is willing to have her serve as a vessel to create this nifty 'ultimate valkyrie' that is all the valkyries combined to make this whole new being! Unfortunately..I can't get past this one battle to see what happens next! >_>;

So I've just been leveling up and getting all the skills I was probably supposed to learn over the course of the game (maybe explaining why it was so damn difficult...), and they help alot.

I also attempted the Seraphic Gate. I can't beat Dirna Hamilton (announcer chick from SO3). It isn't like her attacks are particularly damaging, it's just that she has a huge amount of HP. The battle will take too long. But I do want to explore the Seraphic Gate after I beat the game!

I also want to go back to Surt's Lava Caves and get that 'HP Recovery +200%' sealstone. I should have enough Magic Crystals from my level grinding to get it now.

Zeromus_X
10-07-2006, 03:14 AM
I beat the main story today. I forgot about Might Reinforce...<_>;

I am now inside the Seraphic Gate. It's treasure time!

Vermachtnis
10-08-2006, 05:58 AM
The game really perked up difficulty in Chapter 2. Whew, I'm in the Woods of Chapter 3 and that Griffon keeps beating the crap out of my team. Alicia, Rufus, Richelle are all Lv. 9, Leone is Lv. 10. But, this game is so freaking awesome. I don't care about difficulty. That's makes it all the better.

Zeromus_X
10-08-2006, 06:41 AM
PLEASE, for the love of Odin, don't forget to learn skills! I went through the game until near the end (Freya) without learning next to any skills, and it was a pain. At least learn First Aid and Survival (Guts) ASAP.

Edit: Also, everyone should watch this amazing combo video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsWFnqY9Vkc). I should totally try that out sometime.

Jowy
10-12-2006, 01:59 AM
Is Guts still as horribly cheap and necessary as it was in the original?

I just beat the Griffon, myself. I had to levelgrind up to ~10 to finish it.

Zeromus_X
10-12-2006, 03:27 AM
It isn't as cheap, but instead of Guts/Auto-Item, there's this other cheesy invincibility skill combination.

Always use the Lifeforce Blessing Sealstone. This doubles all HP recovery for your party. You can restore it at the Surts Lava Caves for 2,000 Magic Crystals (it's worth it to restore anyway, as it's extremely useful). Then, give everyone the skills First Aid and Survival. Also, equip them with Drainwings (adds the 'Drain' effect to the equipped character's attacks), Metabolizers and/or Ring of Healings (you recover half the amount of damage you take from a single attack as HP, which is doubled by the Sealstone, so...and yes, these do stack!), and maybe Regenerate Health (Regen-like status). You can probably see how effective this combo is just by looking at it. But yes, it makes you as invincible as you can get.

But still, I wouldn't say the skill itself is necessary, as if you fight strategically/are leveled up enough to have enough HP to survive the boss' attacks, you should do fine. But I won't lie, it gets rid of alot of stress.

But in other news, holy god (http://n.ethz.ch/student/wmartin/pictures/VP2%20(JP)%207'996'332%20Damage%20Record.jpg).

FallenAngel411
10-23-2006, 07:16 PM
In the middle of chapter 3 myself, and I hope I'm doing alright...all my characters are between levels 11-15, and my party is pretty much the first four main characters...however reading this thread is making me feel like I'm doing about a million things wrong...o wells....still one of the prettiest games I've ever seen. It makes me wish I had the means to play the first one. :cry:

Zeromus_X
10-24-2006, 12:44 AM
Your levels aren't as important as your equipment and learning skills consistently. And definitely using the Sealstones to your advantages. I cannot overemphasize the importance of the Lifeforce Blessing Sealstone, spend time getting that (Rufus' Killer Thorn and the Lightning Bolt attack spell are great for grinding out crystals). I was around level 21 for everyone by the end of Chapter Three, but it is the longest chapter in the game (finished it in around 20 hours).

I kinda got burned out awhile ago, but I did make it pretty far in the Seraphic Gate.

I beat Gabriel Celeste (yay, 27 minute battle....sluggin it out), 'Woden' (Odin), 'Obsessed Ex' ('Rejected Stalker' Lezard), and a few of the infamous 'dog characters'. Dog Rufus is a punk and casts Heal. It's kinda unfair that they give Hrist and Brahms superpowerful weapons (unless you were dumb and powerleveled to get retarded equipment that makes the game not a challenge, which is a shame), and you have to hunt down really rare powerful enemies that drop really rare equipment for the other main characters and Einherjar. And since mages lose thier usefulness (a shame compared to VP1), Gabriel and Ethereal Queen's staves don't help much (even though they are powerful).

Anyway, maybe someday I'll fight Freya (800,000 HP!!, but apparently once you recruit her she's more than powerful enough to take on Ethereal Queen/Serious Dirna Hamilton alone with the right setups), but now I think I'll sink into SO3 (now that I have it back) a few more times before Final Fantasy XII comes out.

Well, it's been fun. Good job tri-Ace, as usual. Oh, and when you guys beat the game, wait for the credits to finish. Then immediately start a new game without doing a hard reset (you'll see a crystal in the lower left corner of the title screen) to start a harder difficulty file (where the stats of enemies are increased slightly, even more for Leaders, but you can do it up to 50 times!!). If you hold down L1 while entering a battle in this new game, you can listen to the battle theme from the first Valkyrie Profile (but it's just the same sound clip, so it doesn't sound so great). Hold down L2 to hear random music from the game, and some tunes from Star Ocean 3 and even Incarnation of Devil from Star Ocean: Blue Sphere. The Seraphic Gate is also available from the start of this new game, though it seems you can only access the 'Sound Test' at first.