PDA

View Full Version : What's the Hardest Game you've ever played?

The Devil Man
09-28-2006, 10:54 AM
What is the Hardest Game you have ever played in your life?

Mine would be Ninja Gaiden Black on the XBox. The original Ninja Gaiden was a rock hard game that few people managed to beat. So Team Ninja, the developers, released Ninja Gaiden Black with a whole bunch of extra features and, supposedly, some easier difficulty levels.

It was a lie! :eek:

The easiest difficulty setting, Ninja Dog, was harder then the 'normal' mode on the original game. Ninja Gaiden Black is probably one of the hardest games ever made. On the Ninja Master difficulty setting it is practically impossible to beat! It is as if the developers hate the player :( (But they are amazing developers. They also made the Dead or Alive games).

So for me, Ninja Gaiden Black is the hardest game in the universe.

What are your hardest games that you've ever played?

I might check some of them out :bigsmile:

Mo-Nercy
09-28-2006, 11:12 AM
I've heard some evil stuff about Ninja Gaiden xD.

Thankfully, I haven't played it before. =]

The hardest game I've ever played...well Dynasty Warriors 5XL comes with a Chaos difficultly which really drove me up the wall but I've gotton used to it since then. It's still frustrating but it's really a test of patience.

Dell
09-28-2006, 12:03 PM
Bleach RPG.

Rosenti
09-28-2006, 01:06 PM
Dune...

i snapped the game in half... easy at first, but got harder, then impossible..

Polaris
09-28-2006, 01:18 PM
Tomb raider 3, it killed me and it still does... it's really hard! :( Why Lara Croft? Why? :cry:

fantasyjunkie
09-28-2006, 02:03 PM
The ending of GUN. Timing those explosive arrows against the final boss is beyond my capabilities. :cry:

RiseToFall
09-28-2006, 02:27 PM
DMC 3 original edition. The hardest thing about this game was it's lack of save points. You would have an insanely long level full of hard enemies and then at the end they would toss in a really difficult boss all without one save point.

To be honest even if it did have save points this game is no walk in the park. Personally I loved every minute of it, though after ever mission my hands would be killing from pressing all the buttons so quickly. Fast Reflexes are key to beating this game, but oh what a game it is.

As for Ninja Gaiden, I haven't played it yet, but it does sound really fun, there's just something about completing a really difficult game that I just love.

Also I'm still deciding wether I should pick Gaiden up on the X Box or wait untill the PS3 version comes out with even prettier graphics. Though the wait will be long for the PS3 game as I'm not planning on getting it for a while.

Jowy
09-28-2006, 03:42 PM
It's a tossup between Mega Man Zero and The 7th Saga.

Erdrick Holmes
09-28-2006, 04:09 PM
Phantasy Star II, it was so hard I couldn't beat it for ten years.

oddler
09-28-2006, 04:17 PM

Yeah, figuring out that some items could heal your party without using TP was a godsend.

As I've posted before, I'll say Star Ocean: The Second Story because Indalecio is a bastard if you let Filia break his limiter.

Vermachtnis
09-28-2006, 04:19 PM
SMT: Digital Devil Saga 2
I have never been afraid of random encounters until this game. They ambush you in a save point. Ok not really, they painted the Save Point logo on a door and you open it and BAM! Random encounter! There's even a "Hard" difficulty and with it the hardest optinal boss you couldn't fight on normal difficulty.

Nifleheim7
09-28-2006, 04:45 PM
1.Shadow of the beast.This was the first game i ever played on another kid's Amiga.I don't remember much about this game(i was very young) except that it had great music and was very,very hard...

2.Riven(i couldn't beat the game even with a walkthrough)

3.Tomb Raider III

Dreddz
09-28-2006, 05:12 PM

I agree with Joel, Phantasy Star II was /xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif hard, took me a while to beat it.

I dont understand peoples problems with Ninja Gaiden for the Xbox, I think the originals were tough stuff, some I could only barely beat, but the version for the Xbox was easy compared to them.

Ender
09-28-2006, 05:38 PM
2.Riven(i couldn't beat the game even with a walkthrough)

Umm, yeah. Totally ridiculous game. So ridiculous that even after committing at least ten hours to it I gave up and never finished.

Some older games that were really hard for me, and none of which I was able to complete:

F-Zero
Punch-Out! (simply because of Tyson)
Paperboy
Megaman
TMNT 1
The Adventures of Link

More recently, hmmm. Well, there are a lot of FPSs that get really difficult if you play them on the highest difficulty without cheats. Granted, I'm not particularly good at FPSs, but FarCry was uber difficult for me.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
09-28-2006, 07:32 PM
Gradius III: From Legend to Myth. That's the arcade original, not the friendly SNES version. I'll give you some examples.

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e200/grokyou/gra3ac32b.gif

Stage 7 is particularly hellacious. For most of the level, you have to dodge these big flaming meteors that are ejected slowly but unpredictably from the geography enclosing you--and in increasingly large numbers. You can shoot them to attempt to clear a path, but that really just makes things worse, as they then split into three smaller, indestructible meteors that go flying at angles determined by the big one's original direction, which may as well be random. But just flying peacefully through the big ones isn't a viable option, either, as you've also got enemy ships darting around and shooting at you, and they'll gang up on you quickly if you don't return fire. So, in reality, your only course of action is to shoot everything while trying to weave through the jungle of stones and bullets, trusting only in sheer luck and your instincts as a gamer to let you find the few pixels of safe territory at every given second.

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e200/grokyou/gra3ac18.gif

Stage 4 is slightly less hopeless but still plenty frustrating. For whatever reason, the developers thought it would be fun to slap a Space Harrier-style pseudo-3D stage right into the middle of the game with no warning or explanation whatsoever. But while the concept isn't completely without merit (Space Harrier is a pretty fun game, after all), the execution is truly miserable to behold.

There are no enemies to be found in this level, and the only challenge lies in successfully navigating a series of twisting, branching corridors. In spite of this, you're actually likely to die much more than you would in a normal level, as you're forced to fly at a ridiculously high speed, and the draw distance on the incoming graphics is so low that walls will pop up in front of you out of nowhere, giving you just a split-second to turn if your reflexes are absolutely perfect.

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e200/grokyou/2-44.jpg

Some history: In Gradius II, the last major obstacle before reaching the final boss was this screen-filling contraption, aptly named Crab. Since it was completely indestructible, the sole method for survival was to deftly fly through the momentary gaps made between its legs and the walls as it slowly crawled back and forth. You had to keep this up for quite a while before the corridor ended and it finally buggered off, but it was ultimately not an overwhelming challenge.

Unfortunately, after that game, dodging a huge indestructible walker for extended periods of time during the final stage became a series tradition. And per the game's consistently agonizing difficulty, Gradius III played host to the most nightmare-inducing incarnation ever.

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e200/grokyou/gra3ac63.gif http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e200/grokyou/gra3ac64.gif

That's right. Mini-Crabs.

They're still invincible, but on account of their diminutive size, the gaps between their legs and the walls no longer provide sufficient space for the Vic Viper to traverse. Instead, you have to take refuge in small spaces made out in the ceilings and floors until they pass. Albeit simpler in concept than the leg-for-leg management Gradius II required, the claustrophobic dimensions of the safe zones, coupled with Gradius III's utterly unforgiving collision detection, makes keeping up with the level's auto-scrolling in order to avoid crashing into the walls a more nerve-racking ordeal than a game of Operation.

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e200/grokyou/gra3ac74.gif

If you thought that was all, you still don't realize the full magnitude of the Gradius III developers' cruel intentions. Verily, the mini-Crabs were a mere appetizer for a banquest of pain that yet awaits. After avoiding the Crabs' fuschia grasp, escaping a gauntlet of rotating lasers, and winning a fight against a heavily-armed boss while the fortress walls randomly jut out at you like you're Jerry the mouse trapped inside a piano, you're faced with the real deal: a spidery bastard named Shadow Gear.

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e200/grokyou/gra1_end01.png http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e200/grokyou/gra2_end01.png http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e200/grokyou/gra3ac77.gif

A bit more history: since the very first game in the series, Gradius final bosses have always been huge pushovers. Every once in a while, one of them will take a mild interest in shooting some slow-moving projectiles in your general direction, but for the most part they just sit there calmly while you blast away their prefrontal cortex. Gradius III's final boss rather generously conforms to this tradition, but it wouldn't make a difference if he were the most taxing boss in the entire franchise, considering what comes next.

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e200/grokyou/gra3ac81.gif http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e200/grokyou/gra3ac82.gif

After performing extensive brain surgery on Bacterian, series precedent would have you believe that his death would be followed promptly by a tastefully brief ending scene and then the game's credits. But in order to prevent anyone from ever identifying them--and then presumably seeking revenge--the Gradius III staff threw in one final smurf-you to players everywhere.

As soon as Bacterian bites it, the auto-scrolling accelerates to an insane pace, and you're suddenly challenged to fly through a series of extremely tight corridors, including vertical movements that have to be perfect down to the pixel lest you meet a tragic end. Even grazing the Vic Viper's nose against the corner of a wall will kill you, forcing you to start over from before Bacterian. It's like Stage 4 and Shadow Gear combined into a single, nigh-inescapable deathtrap. And as such, I still haven't beat this game.

ljkkjlcm9
09-28-2006, 07:35 PM
Battle Toads for the NES

THE JACKEL

I Am Stoner
09-28-2006, 07:37 PM
The Hardest game I have played is The Adventures Of Alundra. Man, that is so damn hard. SO DAMN HARD!!!

Roto13
09-28-2006, 08:27 PM
Shinobi for PS2. Ouch.

Madame Adequate
09-28-2006, 08:33 PM
Kawaii highlights a damn tough game, and a genre with that. Side scroller and bullet hell shooters are incredibly difficult.

The hardest I can call to mind right now is Alien Soldier. Xi-Tiger is completely beyond my abilities, I can't even dent him.

LunarWeaver
09-28-2006, 08:36 PM
I have the most trouble with older games. The NES era Zelda, Metroid, Megaman, and Mario are all pretty hard I think. I remember hearing "games are for kids" all the time back in the day (and sometimes even today), and now that I've grown older I can't see how that stereotype even began with games like that out and about.

Vagrant Story also kicks my ass :jess:

Jowy
09-28-2006, 09:54 PM
Ikaruga is also pretty damned hard.

Erdrick Holmes
09-28-2006, 10:42 PM
Hyper Street Fighter II on the SF Anniversary Collection. They jacked it up so hard.

Roto13
09-28-2006, 10:47 PM
Ikaruga is also pretty damned hard.

Truth. o_o

My name is...something..?
09-29-2006, 12:16 AM
Vagrant Story also kicks my ass :jess:
:laugh::lol:

The old Super Star Wars games for the SNES.
I bought all three of them and I couldn't even beat one of them. 0_o
I still go back and try from time to time only to die on the third or fourth level of each one.
Kudos to anyone who can beat them, I literally want to shake your hand.

Vincent, Thunder God
09-29-2006, 12:31 AM
Sega Genesis- Asterix and Obelix
Sega Genesis- Pagemaster

ValkyrieWing
09-29-2006, 07:14 AM
Megaman, for certain..Alundra's really close behind, though.

Araciel
09-29-2006, 07:35 AM
tetris

KentaRawr!
12-20-2006, 10:29 AM
Admittedly, I could never beat Megaman and Bass. I can tell that eventually it will become very easy, though.

Edit: I'm an idiot for reviving an old thread. u_u;;

Spammerman
12-20-2006, 12:59 PM
The ending of GUN. Timing those explosive arrows against the final boss is beyond my capabilities. :cry:

Wasnt hard at all. Just wait till hes running towards them. WHen hes a little off it, shoot. Then boom.

DMC3

Rainecloud
12-20-2006, 02:13 PM
The Ghosts 'n' Goblins/Ghouls 'n' Ghosts series. There's a certain point you reach whilst playing these games where you start to think "Is this actually challenging, or is it just stupidly difficult and pointless?" I reached that mental barrier numerous times, and still tried to complete the game. Alas, my efforts were in vain, for though I reached the final boss (Satan or whatever) once, I couldn't vanquish the tricksy bastard.

Also, completing all the stages in Soul Calibur on the Dreamcast took my patience to the limit. I still have extremely bad memories of throwing my control pad on the hard, wooden floor. Again. And again.

opiumcloud
12-20-2006, 03:54 PM
1) Solomon's Key

Without using the continue cheat, or looking up solutions to this game's puzzles, this game is hard, as in maybe you can beat it after playing an hour a day for two years. Individually, the later rooms take dozens of tries each in order for the player to decipher a winning strategy, but the player has just a few lives to clear the entire game, and just getting back to the room you were stuck on after losing all of your lives is a major achievement.

2) Ikaruga

I could have chosen Giga Wing or Strikers 1945 plus, or a bunch of other games for this slot. Basically, any arcade shooter with a continue feature will be absurdly difficult to try and beat without excessive continuing. I'm not going to bother naming coin-munchers like Rampage, which are impossible to beat without continuing. But the possibility of clearing Ikaruga in one play, if you use perfect maneuvering and timing, makes the challenge of trying to do so highly addictive.

3) Mike Tyson's Punch Out

Or Mr. Dream's punch out. Both Tyson and dream are not only super-hard final bosses, but they cannot be repeatedly challenged without replaying earlier fights.

4) Legacy of the Wizard

Figuring out where to go in this game without a guide isn't impossible, but it takes a long time, and lots of experimentation. Plus, once you figure out where to go with each character, you must still make long trips full of dungeon-crawling with no save points, and limited ammo for destroying monsters.

There's a zillion games I remember getting stuck on as a kid, but most of them I can easily beat by now. Some examples are the last three levels of Ninja Gaiden, the Conquest mode of Populous for SNES, Cleopatra in Double Dragon 3 for nes, etc. But if you watch a master player of Solomon's Key or Ikaruga, it's like watching a master pianist. What they're doing seems possible, but there's absolutely no sense of "gimme the controls, I can do that."