PDA

View Full Version : What does your name mean?

Croyles
09-28-2006, 08:49 PM
Here everyone can post what their first names mean. If your a tightwad worried or paranoid untrusting I guess you can not tell people your first name. Why not tell people what your username means instead?

My name Julio means youthful. It also refers to the month July i think... Its a spanish and portoguese version of the name Julius and Jupiter.

Yew-Yevon
09-28-2006, 08:50 PM
JOSHUA

Usage: English, Biblical

Pronounced: JAH-shu-wa, JAW-shwa [key]

From the Hebrew name יְהוֹשֻׁעַ (Yehoshu'a) which meant "YAHWEH is salvation". Joshua was one of the twelve spies sent into Canaan by Moses in the Old Testament. After Moses died Joshua succeeded him as leader of the Israelites. The name Jesus was a variant of the name Joshua.

http://www.behindthename.com/

StarChild
09-28-2006, 08:56 PM
Nicole

victory of the people.

Quindiana Jones
09-28-2006, 08:59 PM
My full name means "Beloved Bear King" in a language.

edczxcvbnm
09-28-2006, 09:00 PM
My name is Stephen and it means crown...as in King...as in I WILL RULE YOU!

Flying Mullet
09-28-2006, 09:00 PM
Chad. It means my parents liked the name Chad.

My name is...something..?
09-28-2006, 09:02 PM
Johnathan - From the Hebrew, meaning “God has given” or “gift of God.” The exact Hebrew form is Yehonatan.

Quindiana Jones
09-28-2006, 09:02 PM
Chad. It means my parents liked the name Chad.

Or didn't like you. :bigsmile:

Jowy
09-28-2006, 09:04 PM
Eric is Scandanavian for 'Ruler of People'

So start getting ruled. Or something.

theundeadhero
09-28-2006, 09:06 PM
My name is Matthew and I am also a Gift of God in Hebrew.

Quindiana Jones
09-28-2006, 09:08 PM
Why does everyone's bloody name have something to do with ruling??? *ignores the ones that aren't*

Flying Mullet
09-28-2006, 09:13 PM
Why does everyone's bloody name have something to do with ruling??? *ignores the ones that aren't*
Fine. My name really means "You owe me money".

So pay up. :smash:

Tasura
09-28-2006, 09:13 PM
RICHARD

Usage: English, French, German, Czech

Pronounced: RICH-ard (English), ree-SHAR (French) [key]
Means "brave power", derived from the Germanic elements ric "power, rule" and hard "brave, hardy". The Normans introduced this name to Britain. It was borne by three kings of England including Richard the Lionheart, leader of the Third Crusade in the 12th century. Two German opera composers, Richard Wagner and Richard Strauss, have also had this name.

Sweet, I am Brave Power.

Elite Lord Sigma
09-28-2006, 09:14 PM
Connor can interpreted to mean either "peace maker" or "dog lover", both of which are very accurate definitions of myself.

Flying Mullet
09-28-2006, 09:16 PM
Well I just checked and <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Chad_%28name%29&action=edit">the Wikipedia has no entry for the name "Chad".</a> Perhaps I should update the page as a shrine to myself and all the reasons why I am the superior Chad?

Quindiana Jones
09-28-2006, 09:17 PM
Fine. My name really means "You owe me money".

So pay up. :smash:

:twocents:

And you weren't that good anyway...:mad:

Yew-Yevon
09-28-2006, 09:18 PM
Well I just checked and <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Chad_%28name%29&action=edit">the Wikipedia has no entry for the name "Chad".</a> Perhaps I should update the page as a shrine to myself and all the reasons why I am the superior Chad?

:)
CHAD

Usage: English

Pronounced: CHAD [key]

From the Old English name Ceadda which is of unknown meaning, possibly based on Welsh cad "battle". This was the name of a 7th-century English saint. Also, a country in Africa bears this name, though it originates from a different source.

bipper
09-28-2006, 09:18 PM
MICHAEL:

Usage: English, German, Czech, Biblical

Pronounced: MIE-kul [key]
From the Hebrew name מִיכָאֵל (Mika'el) which meant "who is like God?". This is the name of one of the seven archangels in Hebrew tradition and the only one identified as an archangel in the Bible. In the Book of Revelation in the New Testament he is portrayed as the leader of heaven's armies, and thus is considered the patron saint of soldiers. This was also the name of nine Byzantine emperors and a czar of Russia.

JOHN:

Pronounced: JAHN [key]
English form of Iohannes, which was the Latin form of the Greek name Ιωαννης (Ioannes), itself derived from the Hebrew name יוֹחָנָן (Yochanan) meaning "YAHWEH is gracious". This name owes its consistent popularity to two New Testament characters, both highly revered as saints. The first was John the Baptist, the forerunner of Jesus Christ and a victim of beheading by Herod Antipas. The second was the apostle John, also supposedly the author of the fourth Gospel and Revelation. The name has been borne by 23 popes, as well as kings of England, Hungary, Poland, Portugal and France. It was also borne by the poet John Milton and the philosopher John Locke.

MEYER

Usage: Jewish

Other Scripts: מֵאִיר (Hebrew)
Variant of MEIR. It also coincides with a German surname meaning "mayor, leader".

III

Roman numeral for the THIRD.

from the already referenced: http://www.behindthename.com/php/search.php?nmd=n&terms=JOHN&submit=Go

Vikeve
09-28-2006, 09:26 PM
Um..... my real name is Hannah but i don't that it has any secret meaning. My last name is Roe and it means fish eggs:mad: . Ive grown to like my last name but personaly I My mom's last name better which has German roots. Germany is cool.

Moon Rabbits
09-28-2006, 09:33 PM
Kelly -

Meaning rooted in Pictish, meaning wood or holly, or related to another Irish name (Ceallach) which means war and strife.

Croyles
09-28-2006, 09:37 PM
I My mom's last name better which has German roots. Germany is cool.

Damn right.

Roto13
09-28-2006, 09:46 PM
My first name (Rhody) means "Bed of roses". My middle name (Augustus) means "Majestic dignity; grandeur, Revered, Exalted". Perfect. ;). My last name (Tobin) means Goodness of God, but I couldn't find it on the surname site, so I looked for it amongst the first names.[/COLOR]

I made a topic like this a while ago, but it's long dead.

http://forums.eyesonff.com/showthread.php?t=88641

Evastio
09-28-2006, 09:52 PM
Evastio: (ee-vahs-tee-yoh)

Origin: Foreign

A person with a vast conscience, sensitive feelings, strong desire for knowledge, and an ardent soul who suffers from comprehending things at a slower rate compared to other people.

Avarice-ness
09-28-2006, 09:52 PM
Ashley AKA I like fire.

ASH m & f English
Either a short form of ASHLEY or else from the English word denoting either the tree or the residue of fire.

ASHLEE f English (Modern)
Feminine variant of ASHLEY

ASHLEIGH f English (Modern)
Feminine variant of ASHLEY

ASHLEY m & f English
From a surname which was originally derived from a place name which meant "ash tree clearing" in Old English.

Yew-Yevon
09-28-2006, 09:55 PM
My full name is Joshua James Aloyious Kobsar

only the first two meanings were found :sad:

JOSHUA

Pronounced: JAH-shu-wa, JAW-shwa [key]

From the Hebrew name יְהוֹשֻׁעַ (Yehoshu'a) which meant "YAHWEH is salvation". Joshua was one of the twelve spies sent into Canaan by Moses in the Old Testament. After Moses died Joshua succeeded him as leader of the Israelites. The name Jesus was a variant of the name Joshua.

JAMES

Pronounced: JAYMZ [key]

English form of the Late Latin Jacomus which was derived from Ιακωβος (Iakobos), the New Testament Greek form of יַעֲקֹב (Ya'aqov) (see JACOB). This is the name of two apostles in the New Testament. The first was Saint James the Greater, the apostle John's brother, who was beheaded by Herod Agrippa in the Book of Acts. The second was James the Lesser, son of Alphaeus. Another James (known as James the Just) is also mentioned in the Bible as being the brother of Jesus. Kings of England and Scotland have borne this name. Other famous bearers include the inventor of the steam engine James Watt, the explorer Captain James Cook, and the novelist and poet James Joyce.

Ethanol Dreams
09-28-2006, 09:59 PM
How come you all have reasonably good meanings? Mine means "crooked nose"! :(

LunarWeaver
09-28-2006, 10:01 PM
I'm too lazy to look it up again, but Kyle meant something ironic like "strait" and my last name meant "red or rusty" or something like that. My middle name "Dwayne" means I'm an accident and my parents hate me.

Spammerman
09-28-2006, 10:02 PM
first name

ALEXANDER

Usage: English, German, Dutch, Hungarian, Slovak

Pronounced: al-eg-ZAN-dur [key]
From the Greek name Αλεξανδρος (Alexandros), which meant "defending men" from Greek αλεξω (alexo) "to defend, help" and ανηρ (aner) "man" (genitive ανδρος (andros)). Alexander the Great, King of Macedon, is the most famous bearer of this name. In the 4th century BC he built a huge empire out of Greece, Egypt, Persia, and parts of India. This was also the name of emperors of Russia, kings of Scotland and Yugoslavia, and eight popes. Also, Sir Alexander MacKenzie was an explorer of the north and west of Canada in the 18th century.

Full name

ALEXANDER

Usage: English, German, Dutch, Hungarian, Slovak

Pronounced: al-eg-ZAN-dur [key]
From the Greek name Αλεξανδρος (Alexandros), which meant "defending men" from Greek αλεξω (alexo) "to defend, help" and ανηρ (aner) "man" (genitive ανδρος (andros)). Alexander the Great, King of Macedon, is the most famous bearer of this name. In the 4th century BC he built a huge empire out of Greece, Egypt, Persia, and parts of India. This was also the name of emperors of Russia, kings of Scotland and Yugoslavia, and eight popes. Also, Sir Alexander MacKenzie was an explorer of the north and west of Canada in the 18th century.

RENÉ

Usage: French

Pronounced: re-NAY [key]
French form of RENATUS. A famous bearer was the French mathematician and rationalist philosopher René Descartes.
(RENATUS means born again)

Cuadrado
Means square in spanish

basically, it means teh square defender of men is born again.

oddler
09-28-2006, 10:15 PM
Jeff

Peacekeeper, gift of peace.

And there you have it. Again. :eep:

Old Manus
09-28-2006, 10:17 PM
I guess my parents hoped my favourite Thomas the Tank Engine character would be James :cool:

sephirothishere
09-28-2006, 10:20 PM
sephirothisheretokickmajorass...........

Jimmy Dark Aeons Slayer
09-28-2006, 10:22 PM
My name Jimmy Dark Aeons Slayer means that i´m a Dark Aeons Slayer.

Yooniece
09-28-2006, 10:26 PM
"Eunice" means "bringing happy victory." Yeah, I don't know what's up with that either.

As for "Yuna" and "Yoonhee," derived from the kanji/hanja: "Profound reason" and "Beautiful heart."

::snickers::

Venom
09-28-2006, 10:32 PM
The origins of my name are from Ireland, however, I do not know what my name means.

My_car_is_faster_than_you
09-28-2006, 10:35 PM
I have no idea what my name means either.

ljkkjlcm9
09-28-2006, 11:17 PM
it means I'LL KILL YOU... if you read that you know what's going to happen now. Be scared, be very scared....:radred:

THE JACKEL

Madame Adequate
09-28-2006, 11:20 PM
Huxley is an old English name meaning "Hugh's field". Which is pretty uninspiring, to be honest. By about 2030 it will have also come to mean "Profoundly brilliant" as well.

Flying Mullet
09-28-2006, 11:24 PM
if you read that you know what's going to happen now. Be scared, be very scared....:radred:

THE JACKAL
I didn't read it. What now? :confused:

ljkkjlcm9
09-28-2006, 11:27 PM
if you read that you know what's going to happen now. Be scared, be very scared....:radred:

THE JACKAL
I didn't read it. What now? :confused:
then you're fine... for now

THE JACKEL

sephirothishere
09-28-2006, 11:30 PM
teh jackal...like your really gonna kill the cool dude himself......cmon...if you tried to kill me id probably jus go bruce lee on your crazy foo ass......

ljkkjlcm9
09-28-2006, 11:33 PM
The Jackal...like you're really gonna kill the cool dude himself......cmon...if you tried to kill me id probably just go bruce lee on your crazy foo ass......

you honestly have no idea who you're talking to or dealing with here

THE JACKEL

Reles
09-28-2006, 11:35 PM
That site doesn't really give me the meaning, but on other sites "Alyssa" means logical. I don't really think logical is the word to describe me though, unfortunately.

The Summoner of Leviathan
09-28-2006, 11:42 PM
Robert means shining or bright with fame. As for my middle name it is David, meaning beloved. Named after my father and grandfather. My parents were so creative...

NorthernChaosGod
09-29-2006, 01:02 AM
Julian
Youthful
Origin: Greek

Goldenboko
09-29-2006, 01:03 AM
I am a Golden Chocobo nuff' said. (If you can't figure out my username after that then...)

Rinion
09-29-2006, 08:12 AM
STEPHEN

Pronounced: STEEV-en, STEF-en [key]
From the Greek name Στεφανος (Stephanos) meaning "crown". Saint Stephen was an early Christian martyr who was stoned to death, as told in Acts in the New Testament. Another Saint Stephen is the patron saint of Hungary, the first Christian king of that country (10th century). As well, this was the name of kings of England, Serbia, and Poland and ten popes. More recently it is borne by the British physicist Stephen Hawking and the American author Stephen King.

Araciel
09-29-2006, 08:22 AM
james...one of the most common male names in the english speaking world, i was named after a scottish king. i have no idea what it means.

ValkyrieWing
09-29-2006, 08:30 AM
Amber, meaning gem or jewel. Also, meaning the element of spirit.

Malboro_Menace
09-29-2006, 08:54 AM
Mitchell: Same as Michael, 'Who is like God'.

Schofield: 'Small hut in school field/field'.

Some of my friends have derived this information to mean 'God/King of the Toilets' because they reckon that a small hut in a school field is the..well.. /xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gifhouse. Idiots...

vorpal blade
09-29-2006, 09:39 AM
Eric. I must say the original German spelling, "Erich" looks a little cooler, but I like my name, because even though it isn't a cool-sounding name, it's meaning (as previously stated by another Eric) is "Ruler of the People" or some cool thing like that. Plus there are a few cool Erics in history, like Eric Clapton or Eric the Red, or Lord Eric I, King of Earth, whom you'll all know of soon enough...

Polaris
09-29-2006, 09:44 AM
ANNA

Usage: English, Italian, German, Dutch, Scandinavian, Finnish, Estonian, Greek, Hungarian, Polish, Russian, Czech, Slovak, Bulgarian, Icelandic, Catalan, Breton, Biblical

Other Scripts: Αννα (Greek), Анна (Russian, Bulgarian)

Pronounced: AN-a (English), AHN-nah [key]

Latinate form of HANNAH. It appears briefly in the New Testament belonging to a prophetess who recognized Jesus as the Messiah. It was also borne by an 18th-century empress of Russia and by the main character in Tolstoy's 'Anna Karenina', a woman forced to chose between her son and her lover.

Breine
09-29-2006, 01:40 PM
Kristian

Usage: English, French, German

Pronounced: KRIS-chen (English), KRISH-chen (English), krees-TYAWN (French)

Meaning: Basically it means christian (a person that believes in christianity - which I don't). In medieval times it was a feminine name in England, and I think that it can be used for both genders today - but here in Europe it's mostly masculine.

bipper
09-29-2006, 02:02 PM
I seen several michaels, which means "WHO is like GOD?" A question mark. The phrased hebrew is in the form of a question, it is not a statement to depict one who is GOD- like

sephirothishere
09-29-2006, 02:15 PM
I seen several michaels, which means "WHO is like GOD?" A question mark. The phrased hebrew is in the form of a question, it is not a statement to depict one who is GOD- like

hahahahahaha.....much better.....good one bipper......GO....

Acid Raine
09-29-2006, 02:17 PM
DYLAN

Usage: Welsh, English, Welsh Mythology

Pronounced: DUL-an (Welsh), DIL-un (English) [key]

From the Welsh elements dy "great" and llanw "sea". In Welsh mythology Dylan was a god of the sea, the son of Aranrhod. He was accidentally slain by his uncle Govannon. The Welsh poet Dylan Thomas and the musician Bob Dylan (real name Robert Zimmerman) are famous bearers of this name.

Dell
09-29-2006, 04:01 PM
Faris means pious, clairvoyance member and horse rider.

kikimm
09-30-2006, 02:02 AM
My name means Christian.

Yeah, exciting.

Dynast-Kid
09-30-2006, 02:05 AM
My name means "Laurels",whatever the hell that is.

And it's Latin!

I Took the Red Pill
09-30-2006, 02:07 AM
KEITH
Origin: Scottish
Meaning: Battle Place

Ashley Schovitz
09-30-2006, 02:08 AM
My name sucks. Its English and it means from the Ashe tree. i wish I had a more meaningful name.

Raven Nox
09-30-2006, 02:43 AM
My first name, Sarah, means "lady" or "princess" in Hebrew. My middle name, Suzanne, is the french version of Susanna, and is therefore unfit to have a meaning of it's own. Susanna means "lily," also in Hebrew.

Reine
09-30-2006, 08:48 AM
Ragnor, my "true" first name (Reine is a variation, but its actually Ragnor, only my family in Norway calls me Ragnor though) According to my father, who thought of the name Reine, he got it from Ragnor, twisting the speling of one the alternate variations
of Ragnor, Rainer. Mum thought of Andreil (Im sure she meant Andriel, as Andreil is a girls name) and it was decided on a coin toss. Mum won it, but I eventually got it changed to Reine..

Origin: Norse
Meaning: Warrior from the Gods.

It also means Doom of the Gods according to some sources

starseeker
09-30-2006, 09:02 AM
My first name is Sophie, a form of Sophia which is Greek for 'wisdom'.

My middle name is Monica which
Possibly means "advisor" from Latin moneo, but it is most likely of unknown North African or Phoenician origin. Saint Monica was the mother of Saint Augustine'

Yuffie514
09-30-2006, 10:17 AM
- it derives from Old English Tyne and Tyna, which refers to a river.
- it is an acronym for "There Is No Alternative" to global free-market capitalism or, Telecommunications Information Networking Architecture.
- short name in ending for Tine. it is also short for Christine, Christina, and all those Christ-influenced names.
- lastly, it also means to "be anointed".

vorpal blade
09-30-2006, 10:32 AM
According to some name site, my middle name, Brandon, comes from Irish Brendan, meaning "raven, sword."
Add that to my first name (Eric) and I've got a pretty cool meaning:
"Raven, sword, and Ruler of the people" or something like that.

The Real Dark Messenger
09-30-2006, 04:21 PM
Anette: Variant of French Annette meaning "favor; grace"

McLovin'
09-30-2006, 04:23 PM
Dax- Comes from part of the name of a french town.

Rase
09-30-2006, 04:26 PM
Ryan mean "little king" or "little ruler". It's Irish. I am not.

KentaRawr!
09-30-2006, 04:28 PM
I thought my topic got bumped! o.o

My name is Nicolas, but I am mostly referred to as Nico. It means Victorious People.

Vikeve
09-30-2006, 05:46 PM
it means I'LL KILL YOU... if you read that you know what's going to happen now. Be scared, be very scared....:radred:

THE JACKAL

:( please i want to live...... *hides*

Odaisé Gaelach
09-30-2006, 06:19 PM

The Irish for king is "Rí", pronounced Ree. Dunno what the "an" is for, though.

But it seems to be used for something, because my name Ciaran comes from "Ciar" which means black (though I've never heard of it). So Ciaran means "black" or "little black boy".

Interesting note, I read somewhere that Lulu is Arabic, and means "pearl". Dunno how true that is, though.

Best name ever is Detta. :love:

final fantasy is stinky
10-01-2006, 12:17 AM
my name means dragon from a far away land born of paint:love:

Rase
10-01-2006, 12:23 AM

The Irish for king is "Rí", pronounced Ree. Dunno what the "an" is for, though.
Well, according to the site Yu-Yevon linked to:

From an Irish surname which was derived from Ó Riain meaning "descendent of Rian". The given name Rian probably means "little king" (from Irish rí "king" combined with a diminutive suffix).
So I would assume the "-an" is the diminutive suffix, similar to "-ito" or "-ita" in Spanish. Basically it makes whatever the thing it's attached to "small" or "little".

Odaisé Gaelach
10-01-2006, 01:53 AM
So I would assume the "-an" is the diminutive suffix, similar to "-ito" or "-ita" in Spanish. Basically it makes whatever the thing it's attached to "small" or "little".

Yeah, that makes sense. I've never heard of it before though, but maybe that's just me. Or it was probably part of an older form of Irish.

Cool though.

ValkyrieWing
10-01-2006, 05:54 AM
But it seems to be used for something, because my name Ciaran comes from "Ciar" which means black (though I've never heard of it). So Ciaran means "black" or "little black boy".

o_O

You ave the coolest sounding name EVER.

Paro
10-01-2006, 06:10 AM
a sudden outburst of a violent emotion or action (laughter, rage)
a convulsion, spasm, cramp, sudden attack of pain

Zamba136
10-01-2006, 10:32 AM
my name is Alucard. this, written backwards, means that my father was obsessed with Dracula. dracula means something along the lines of 'devil's child', or 'son of the dragon'. it fits me because i'm about as close to a vampire as one can get without being a murderer or dead.

it is irrelivent, but my middle and last names together mean 'adiction to heroin' or 'adicted to prostitutes'. this is not me. my middle name also means 'gift from god'.

so i guess i am 'the devil's son that is adicted to heroin/hookers, but also a gift from god'! talk about confusing, BEAT THAT!

Dark Paladin
10-01-2006, 11:58 AM
Daniel (or Dan)

"God is my judge"

Mo-Nercy
10-01-2006, 12:29 PM
Peter means rock or stone in the original Latin.

My chinese name, Zi Yan, means 'offspring of flame'

Paro
10-01-2006, 01:06 PM
my real name is Matthew which means "Gods Gift"

~SapphireStar~
10-01-2006, 07:24 PM
Feminine form of LAURENCE. First popularized by Betty Jean Perske, who used Lauren Bacall as her stage name. I was named after Lauren Bacall.

NeoCracker
10-01-2006, 07:37 PM
Michael - One like God
Crissman - Unintelegent cave man, at least trusting whatever sources my sister used on here Geneology project were correct.

Put the meanings together and what you have there is an insult to christianity.

sephiroth the dark angel
10-01-2006, 07:39 PM
my name is selmo and i have no lue what it means

Shauna
10-01-2006, 08:37 PM
Shauna, and it's the feminine, anglicised version of Sean, which means 'Gift of God'. :D

ama124
10-01-2006, 08:41 PM
amanda is latin and means worthy of love. :)

(zomg that was my 100th post. :D )

Dixie
10-01-2006, 08:49 PM
Leah - Weary, mistress, or ruler. I pick ruler. >=D