PDA

View Full Version : Hard drive map in linux

bipper
09-28-2006, 09:03 PM
Hey, in all my life I have never had to really do anything like this, and I figureed it would be easy, but no such luck.

I am working in linux and trying to get a schematic of how the hard drives and/or RAID is configured on a mystery server that I do not have access to.

I am completely unsure as to how to do this. I checked the FSTAB and ran a df, and nothing.

Any help will earn you a kiss.

thanks.

crono_logical
09-28-2006, 10:04 PM
Why do you need to know on a server you don't have access to? :p

"cat /etc/fstab" will show you where partitions are meant to be mounted.
"cat /etc/mtab" or "mount" will show what's currently mounted where.
If you're root, you can also try "fdisk -l {device}" to see the partition layouts on different disks if that's what you want.

You might be able to get some information of any software RAID going on by looking at those, and almost certainly other places which I don't know of since I don't use software RAID, but I doubt you'll be able to find much if it's hardware RAID :p

bipper
09-29-2006, 02:17 PM
Yup, its a hardware SCSI based RAID, and the server is in a server room, but I am simply trying to check its spects with out ripping it off the rack and so on. I am the victum of poor documentation. :(

I already did everything you mentioned, as I mentioned in my first post (though I forgot to mention mount table. Anywho, if that is all there is to be done, I guess that is all we can do :D

btw, the distro is Red hat- I dunno if that chenges any available tools.

crono_logical
09-30-2006, 09:10 PM
You'd be better off visiting the server in the server room then :D