PDA

View Full Version : Grr. Email spam to/from my own domain.

Loony BoB
09-29-2006, 12:08 PM
Okay, I'm getting tired of stuff like this...

To: "anudag" <</>advertising@aiyon.com>
Subject: how r things

or...

From: "Mail Delivery System" <</>MAILER-DAEMON@smtp3.utc.sk>
Subject: Undelivered Mail Returned to Sender
To: erop@aiyon.com

What can I do to my domain to stop this crap? Contacting Square-Network seems to be futile over the past year or so (I've only had about three emails back from Coach, none of them incredibly productive). Even if I have to somehow disable all email activity to and from aiyon.com, I'll do it. I'm sick of this now.

EDIT: For now I've added a filter that diverts all emails with "aiyon.com" in the 'To' area towards the Trash. I don't get email sent to my aiyon email anyway.

Endless
09-29-2006, 12:44 PM
For the first one, there's not much you can do, really. Someone sends a mail to a non existant email address on your domain, and the catchall catches it and sends it to you, so what you can do is change the catchall so that it deletes everything it catches, or disable it. At any rate, you can't prevent people from sending to random names @ aiyon.
For the second one, there's the same aspect of receiving it because the catchall does its job, so see above, and the second aspect is that someone used a bogus address to send a mail in the first place, which you can't prevent either.

Loony BoB
09-29-2006, 12:51 PM
I thought there were ways of preventing people using your own domain?

And how do I do that earlier disabling of catchall thing? If you walk me through it that would be great - I'm not that techy =x

rubah
09-29-2006, 10:36 PM
They're probably spoofing your domain: "set as sender gibberish@[insert domain here].com" so no you can't do anything about that.

Endless
09-29-2006, 11:33 PM
I don't have access to Ensim on Coach's machines now, so I can't walk you through, but if it's close to the demo one on the ensim site, that would be email -> aliases

Samuraid
09-30-2006, 01:18 AM
Also, get that SPF record we customized going. It may be a pain getting Square to add it to your DNS record, but it will help prevent a lot of people from successfully sending mail as if it were from your domain.

Loony BoB
09-30-2006, 08:21 AM
Also, get that SPF record we customized going. It may be a pain getting Square to add it to your DNS record, but it will help prevent a lot of people from successfully sending mail as if it were from your domain.
I'm fairly sure Raf did this, it must not have worked. :( But yeah, I'm 99.9% sure that there is a way to stop people using your domain - we have to do it for other companies at my work, after all. But it might require a server or firewall or something for all I know, so it probably isn't worth it.

Samuraid
09-30-2006, 09:40 AM
I checked DNS report earlier today, and it reported that there was no SPF record, unfortunately.

Endless
09-30-2006, 08:01 PM
<s>I did what was indicated on the SPF site a while ago, so making it work is beyond the scope of regular enabling it.</s> I tried fiddling with it a little today, so we'll see how it goes in a couple days.

Edit: alleluia.

Samuraid
09-30-2006, 09:09 PM
Hooray. Great work. :)

Loony BoB
10-01-2006, 04:07 PM
<s>I did what was indicated on the SPF site a while ago, so making it work is beyond the scope of regular enabling it.</s> I tried fiddling with it a little today, so we'll see how it goes in a couple days.

Edit: alleluia.

My hero. :love: