PDA

View Full Version : Recommended Reading

ValkyrieWing
09-29-2006, 08:11 PM
What books would you reccomend for others to read?

Anything by David Eddings for me...and the Scorpion Shards series by Neil Shusterman. Those books gave me chills.

I Took the Red Pill
09-29-2006, 08:15 PM
A Clockwork Orange as a novel is better than the movie in my opinion, so read it, although it's quite disturbing at some points.

Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell is another good one I just finished.

Rainecloud
09-29-2006, 08:16 PM
The Redemption Of Althalus - David & Leigh Eddings
Have A Nice Day, A Tale Of Blood & Sweatsocks - Mick Foley
The Death Of WCW - RD Reynolds & Bryan Alvarez
and, of course, The Da Vinci Code - Dan Brown

Even if you're not a wrestling fan, the middle two suggestions are excellent reads.

ValkyrieWing
09-29-2006, 08:18 PM
I read the other two on your list, Raine...not the wrestling ones. Both are awesome. :)

Avarice-ness
09-29-2006, 08:22 PM
I like 'Brave New World' by Aldous Huxley but that would prolly be because of my twisted humor.

Right now I'm reading 'The Inferno' by Dante Aligheiri which is done in poem/prose like form, so if you like shakespear type books ('cause I do, HAMLET ALL THE WAY!) then you might like it. :greenie:

Jowy
09-29-2006, 08:27 PM
Personal recommendations are <u>Catch-22</u>, by Joseph Heller, and anything by Kurt Vonnegut, namely <u>Slaughterhouse Five</u> and <u>Breakfast of Champions</u>.

Ender
09-29-2006, 08:29 PM
Ender's Game

For fantasy readers:
Zelanskys' Amber Trilogy
Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire series

The best book of all time:
Bulgakov's The Master and Margarita

The best-written book of all time:
Nabokov's Lolita

Spammerman
09-29-2006, 08:34 PM
bartimaeus series

sephirothishere
09-29-2006, 11:22 PM
if i ever write a book....you should probably read that....cuz im jus such a cool dude.........ya know.......i bet my book would radiate cool.......

Bloodline666
09-29-2006, 11:29 PM
Game Of Shadows by Mark Fainaru-Wada and Lance Williams.

Basically, this book is the smoking gun in the case against Barry Bonds with regards to steroids. If you wanna see proof once and for all about his guilt or innocence, read this book.

rubah
09-29-2006, 11:32 PM
Azzie turned me onto a Game of Thrones and it was awesome. I'm reading Anna Karenina right now, and it is fantastic. Um, I read watership down last year and it was amazing. Cloudsplitter is a fictionary novel about the son of John Brown, and it was pretty good too.

Crushed Hope
09-29-2006, 11:32 PM
I'm currently reading Veronika Decides To Die by Paulo Coelho and I can fully recommend that. Great great book so far.

The Summoner of Leviathan
09-29-2006, 11:49 PM
Mists of Avalon by Marion Zimmer Bradley, one of my favorite books. It is fantasy, set in the time of King Authur, told from the perspective of women. Margaine, a.k.a. Morgan Le Fay, is the main character.

Sophie's World: A Novel About the History of Philosophy by Jostein Gaarder, translation by Paulette Moller. It is also a work of fiction, yet has non-fiction aspects as it gives brief and simple summaries about different philosophical movement and thinkers while having a nice plot.

The Fifth Ring series by Mitchell Graham. At first this might seem like a LotR rip-off but it is not.

The World's Religions by Huston Smith. A good book that looks at the major faiths of the world. Actually it was a text book for one of my classes.

Resha
09-29-2006, 11:57 PM
The Drifters, James A. Michener. Not enough people have read this AMAZING BEYOND AMAZING book go read it now :mad2: Michener's like...a god.

kikimm
09-30-2006, 12:25 AM
A Clockwork Orange as a novel is better than the movie in my opinion, so read it, although it's quite disturbing at some points.

Yes! Yes yes yes. Even if you didn't like the movie I would still recommend reading it. The movie drags in certain parts where the book does not, interestingly enough!

And The Dark Tower series by Stephen King. It's not a horror story so if you don't normally like King because of that then it don't matter.

And Fahrenheit 451. Good stuff really. Although you'll probably have to read that at some point if you're a student anyways, so go ahead and look forward to it!

Araciel
09-30-2006, 12:43 AM
i would say any fantasy novel is worth reading, cause it's fantasy

Shiny
09-30-2006, 12:51 AM
For people into psychology:
Sybil by Flora Rheta Schreiber

For people into futuristic philosophy:
Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury

For people into historical fiction:
Hang a Thousand Tress with Ribbons by Ann Rinaldi

or...

Roll of Thunder Hear My Cry by Mildred D. Taylor (Mostly Fiction)

For people into plays:
The Importance of Being Ernest by Oscar Wilde

ShunNakamura
09-30-2006, 01:11 AM
Mists of Avalon by Marion Zimmer Bradley, one of my favorite books. It is fantasy, set in the time of King Authur, told from the perspective of women. Margaine, a.k.a. Morgan Le Fay, is the main character.

*jumps up and down*

I loved that book! Bradley's books were a joy to read(for me.)

Ender's Game

Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire series

*jumps up and down again*

Card is a killer writer. I got a bunch of his books and his science fiction is just great!

Martin's.... well great read through and through. Been a while since I have heard anything much on the series.

Neil Shusterman

*tired now, but jumps up and down anyways*

I haven't read the particular book you referenced but I have read several of his books[speeding bullet, downsiders, shadowclub to name 3 of the ones I recall off the top of my head] and he is a good author from what I have seen.

09-30-2006, 02:56 AM

*jumps up and down*

I loved that book! Bradley's books were a joy to read(for me.)

I want to finish the Avalon series. I only read Mists and Priestess of Avalon. On an aside, I just finished Firebrand, which I loved.

ljkkjlcm9
09-30-2006, 02:58 AM
Ender's Game

Quoted for being one of the best books I've ever read and the exact book I came in to suggest. I suggest all the books in the series though.

if i ever write a book....you should probably read that....cuz im jus such a cool dude.........ya know.......i bet my book would radiate cool.......

I would read your book, except I'm worried half of it will be periods
lol

THE JACKEL

Jessweeee♪
09-30-2006, 03:34 AM
YA Fiction:
Anything by~
Scott Westerfield
Nancy Werlin
Georgia Rennison
Someone Haddix (can't remember her first name)

and lots and lots more....I read a LOT and I really don't feel like typing out everything :P

eestlinc
09-30-2006, 03:56 AM
Personal recommendations are <u>Catch-22</u>, by Joseph Heller, and anything by Kurt Vonnegut, namely <u>Slaughterhouse Five</u> and <u>Breakfast of Champions</u>.
I like Cat's Cradle even more than SH5 and BoC, although Vonnegut in general is just amazing. One of my favorite books is Hopscotch by Julio Cortazar. it's originally in Spanish under the title Rayuela. Very strange and funny.

ValkyrieWing
09-30-2006, 04:44 AM
I totally reccommend the Scorpoin Shards series...it's very deep, even for YA reading. :) I just can't remember the seperate book titles now...!

ShunNakamura
09-30-2006, 04:53 AM
Someone Haddix (can't remember her first name)

GAHHH! I should now this .... but I don't :( *googles*

I KNEW I SHOULD HAVE KNOWN HER. Margaret Peterson Haddix.

Shadow Children! Excellent Series, though I really need to get hold of the couple I haven't read. I haven't really read any of her other books though :(.

Kinda sad... when I look through this list the authors or the books on a large chunk of them ring a bell to say the least :p.

I totally reccommend the Scorpoin Shards series...it's very deep, even for YA reading. I just can't remember the seperate book titles now...!

Odd the site I see lists Scorpion shards as a book under the Star Shards series(which consists of Scorpion Shards, Thief of Souls, and Shattered Sky). Anyways, I will remember to pick them up next time I have some spare cash.... parents never take me book shopping anymore, the amount I can blow on books is astonishing.

Also a good series if you don't mind them being a bit simple is Broken Sky written by Chris Wooding. Enjoyable enough read though it isn't on the level of Orson Scott Card or those on Card's level.

GooeyToast
09-30-2006, 04:59 AM
Anything by Brett Easton Ellis (Rules of Attraction, American Psycho, Less Than Zero). His writing is bleak, darkly funny, yet incredibly thoughtful at the same time; definetly one of my favorite authors.

Also, The Perks of Being a Wallflower.

Jessweeee♪
09-30-2006, 05:06 AM
I wanted to read the "among the...." series, but I read most of my books from the public library, and they never have the whole collection of any series. I've started so many there just to be left hanging when I can't get to the next book, or even more annoying is how they have 234567 and not 1
or 1 5 8 9 and 17
:nonono:

ValkyrieWing
09-30-2006, 07:35 AM
Star Shards! That's right...duh. :p

Also, the Kushiel series by Jaqueline Carey: Kusheil's Dart, Kushiel's Chosen, Kushiel's Avatar. I can't wait for the newest one to come out in paperback! A little magic, a little eroticism, a little battle....NICE all around.

Resha
09-30-2006, 09:35 AM
I'm currently reading Veronika Decides To Die by Paulo Coelho and I can fully recommend that. Great great book so far.
Coelho is really good stuff, and he has a really varied and distinguished writing style. :heart: By him I'd recommend "The Alchemist". Lovely, it is!

For people into plays:
The Importance of Being Ernest by Oscar Wilde

I'd recommend that to anyone and everyone! It's hilarious, satirical and wonderfully written. :D I really want to go see it actually acted out.

Crushed Hope
09-30-2006, 02:02 PM

Oh yes, I read that expecting it to be some emo trash, and found it a very great read.

Skogs
09-30-2006, 02:05 PM
I'm into my modern classics. Kerouac, Capote etc.

NINJA_Ryu
09-30-2006, 06:55 PM
1984-Geroge Orwell
LOTR (series) + hobbit- J.R.R. Tolkien
Abhorsen trilogy + shades children - Garth Nix

just a few i really enjoyed ^ ^

Quindiana Jones
09-30-2006, 09:49 PM
I can't remember the name's of the books. But there's about 16+ books in the series, and they're written by Lindsey Davies I think. They're all Roman-y and delicious.

Dreddz
09-30-2006, 11:14 PM
Frank Herbert Dune. The only book I couldnt put down.

NINJA_Ryu
10-01-2006, 02:32 AM
Frank Herbert Dune. The only book I couldnt put down.

Thinks got very strange at God Emperor and onwards.....eh, trilogy is best! ^ ^

ShunNakamura
10-01-2006, 02:40 AM
Abhorsen trilogy + shades children - Garth Nix

just a few i really enjoyed ^ ^

I love the Abhorsen Trilogy. Good greif I really do forget to mention many goodies in these threads.

Anyways two more suggestions from me.

The Symphony of the Ages Series written by Elizabeth Haydon. One of my favorites of all time.

Mary H. Herbert's Dark Horse Series.

Dynast-Kid
10-01-2006, 02:50 AM
Roll of Thunder Hear My Cry by Mildred D. Taylor (Mostly Fiction)

:hyper:I love that book!

Right now,i'm reading:

Pastwatch:The Redemption of Christopher Columbus by Orson Scott Card

It's like,a historical/sci-fi book.It's really good,boring in some parts though.

Moon Rabbits
10-01-2006, 03:16 AM

Oh yes, I read that expecting it to be some emo trash, and found it a very great read.

Perks is my favourite book. I discovered it the exact same way you did.

I also recommend Catcher in the Rye, Lord of the Flies, Tuesdays With Morry, 1984, When Will Jesus Bring the Porkchops?, eetc.

K-chan
10-01-2006, 04:04 AM
"Good Omens" Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchet (Or... just about anything by these authors if you like quirky humor)

"House of the Scorpion" Nacy Farmer (So so so creepy, in all honesty. Don't read if you have serious issues with the idea of cloning humans though)

"The Phantom Tollbooth" (Ha! Man, I haven't read this since I was like 10. XD And suddenly our English teacher has us reading it now and analyzing it. It's so strange, but kinda cute in a kiddish way. ^^)

ValkyrieWing
10-01-2006, 05:23 AM
[

The Symphony of the Ages Series written by Elizabeth Haydon. One of my favorites of all time.

I LOVE the Symphony of Ages! I'm waiting for the one after Elegy of a Lost Star...Elizabeth Haydon is an amazing author.

Achmed is AWESOME. :)

~SapphireStar~
10-01-2006, 06:07 PM
Anything by Terry Pratchett. The Discworld novels are sex.

Rofl. I highly doubt it.

Breine
10-01-2006, 07:25 PM
This may not be that original, but:

The Lord of the Rings series (including The Hobbit): The books are still amazing even though you've seen the films. J.R.R. Tolkien was a genius.

Vincent, Thunder God
10-02-2006, 12:24 AM
Everyone should read Fifth Business at least once. It's my favourite book of all time.

Also recommended: the Little Prince.

ValkyrieWing
10-02-2006, 06:03 AM
I've read the Lord of the Rings 11 times. :) Time well spent...the movie simply cannot compare.

Fonzie
10-02-2006, 01:30 PM
Eragon- by Chirstopher somthing

One of the best fantasy novels I have read in a while.

Breine
10-02-2006, 02:11 PM
Eragon- by Chirstopher somthing

One of the best fantasy novels I have read in a while.

I've been thinking about reading that for a while now, but I'll probably just end up watching the movie instead. I'm so lazy :eep:

Twisted Tinkerbell
10-02-2006, 03:27 PM
A Certain Age by Rebbeca Ray
Stargirl by Jerry Spinelli
Hagakure by Yamamoto Tsunetomo

Quindiana Jones
10-02-2006, 03:48 PM
I've read the Lord of the Rings 11 times. :) Time well spent...the movie simply cannot compare.

I agree, and the movies were amazing.

ValkyrieWing
10-03-2006, 04:37 AM
They were nearly as perfect...but not quite. They did remove a lot of the pointless stuff, so... *thumbs up*

drunkymonkey
10-03-2006, 03:37 PM
Any Discworld book, really.

Quindiana Jones
10-03-2006, 04:04 PM
They were nearly as perfect...but not quite. They did remove a lot of the pointless stuff, so... *thumbs up*

They removed Tom Bombadil. I literally almost cried.

drunkymonkey
10-03-2006, 07:20 PM
Tom Bombadil sucked. He was a tit.

~SapphireStar~
10-03-2006, 07:21 PM
He was the guy who spoke in rhyme didnt he?

Bunny
10-03-2006, 08:33 PM
The Runelords Series by David Farland. The Sum of All Men; The Brotherhood of the Wolf; Wizardborn; and The Lair of Bones.

If you're big into Dungeons and Dragons, I'd highly suggest anything written by R.A. Salvatore. With a specific focus on stories surrounding Drizzt Do'Urden and the The Companions of the Hall (Bruenor Battlehammer, Cattie-brie, Regis, Drizzt, and Wulfgar). Although if you don't really have an interest in fantasy or Dungeons and Dragons, you probably won't appreciate the books as much.

The Highwayman by R.A. Salvatore is a non-Dungeons and Dragons-related book. Very good and a quick read no matter how fast a reader you are.

Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoevsky. I haven't exactly finished reading it, but once you get past the initial introduction it picks up and turns into a pretty good read. Anything else by Dostoevsky is probably worth mentioning as well.

Oscar Wilde, of course. The Picture of Dorian Gray is a must.

The Divine Comedy by Dante Alighieri. Beowulf if you're into epic poetry. And, uh, probably Homer's Odyssey and Illiad, of course.

Oh, and Nietzsche.

ValkyrieWing
10-04-2006, 06:57 AM
I was devistated that they removed Tom..he was so funny! >< A spaz, to be sure, but a greatly powerful being, there before even Gandalf. *sigh*

LOTR movies needed Tom.

Reine
10-04-2006, 12:44 PM
The Death Gate Cycle

One of my favourite book series, a seven part one by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman

I agree with Bunny about books by R.A Salvatore.

I also like the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan, the books by Raymond E. Feist (The Riftwar Saga, The Serpentwar Saga, and all the other books in the series)

As for the remark about "Tom"...

I cannot remember this individual :(

Bunny
10-04-2006, 01:13 PM
I was devistated that they removed Tom..he was so funny! >< A spaz, to be sure, but a greatly powerful being, there before even Gandalf. *sigh*

LOTR movies needed Tom.

They decided that he didn't add enough to the story of the Ring, so they decided to omit him entirely. I'm pretty okay with the decision because I had little hope that they could portray him correctly.

Reine: Tom was the fellow that saved the Merry and Pippin from Old Man Willow.

Resha
10-04-2006, 03:51 PM
I'm into my modern classics. Kerouac, Capote etc.

Capote is...amazing. I'm reading his "Summer Crossing" (his debut novel, I think) and it's beautiful. The way he puts things is lovely -- simple, abstract -- but lovely. :) I read his "Breakfast at Tiffany's" a very long time ago, but I failed to pick up on all these things. I really love his characters too; I loved Holly Golightly, and I'm loving Grady McNeil.

And I'm kinda glad they didn't put Bombadil in there; considering how much else they snipped out, it would have felt too pieced together, and plus I already have this lovely image of Bombadil and Goldberry in my mind. =) Couldn't risk having that ruined :p

xX.Silver.Wings.Xx
10-04-2006, 03:54 PM
The Red Room by H.G.Wells is really good. and Catcher In The Rye is ok... took me a while to get into though... and The Redemption of Althalus but David and Leigh Eddings is fantastic.

Quindiana Jones
10-04-2006, 04:42 PM
He did almost nothing for the story, admittedly. He was just there to add mystery and I loved his parts. He always spoke in rhyming song that could defeat anything in His Land (why is it his land? So wonderfully mysterious!). I like how the Elves mentioned how The Ring would be perfectly safe forever were it given to Tom, as anything that came to His Land could be defeated with his songs, but someone says summat about him just throwing it away as a useless trinket.
Wow I went on there.

Tiger! Tiger! by Alfred Bester is amazing. As is Flowers for Algernon. The only book to have ever made me cry.

Resha
10-04-2006, 05:00 PM
He did almost nothing for the story, admittedly. He was just there to add mystery and I loved his parts. He always spoke in rhyming song that could defeat anything in His Land (why is it his land? So wonderfully mysterious!). I like how the Elves mentioned how The Ring would be perfectly safe forever were it given to Tom, as anything that came to His Land could be defeated with his songs, but someone says summat about him just throwing it away as a useless trinket.
Wow I went on there.

Tiger! Tiger! by Alfred Bester is amazing. As is Flowers for Algernon. The only book to have ever made me cry.

I'm not so sure if it was him throwing it away as him being so...I dunno...complete an entity with Goldberry and his land etc that he just wouldn't have anything to do with the rest of Middle Earth and its affairs at all. He just didn't care, and I don't love him all too well for this xD He could have spared them so much trouble! I dunno, actually. I haven't read the books for a while and I regret this so much but tLoTR -- I really need to be in a certain mood to read them.

10-04-2006, 05:39 PM
A good sci-fi series is Otherland by Tad Williams. It is comprimised of four books, each larger than its predecessor.

Quindiana Jones
10-04-2006, 07:04 PM
I'm not so sure if it was him throwing it away as him being so...I dunno...complete an entity with Goldberry and his land etc that he just wouldn't have anything to do with the rest of Middle Earth and its affairs at all.

I know, but I had realised that I was blithering a bit. :bigsmile:

ValkyrieWing
10-05-2006, 06:50 AM
Death Gate Cycle was AWESOME!!! So was the Darksword series, and their Dragonlance bools....*is a Weis/Hickman fangirl*

I uderstand why they might not have wanted Tom in the movies...but the whole series was so focused on the Ring, that i think a little bit of Bombadil-induced randomness would have been good.

Reine
10-05-2006, 10:31 AM
I found the Darksword quadrilogy far inferior to Death Gte Cycle, it didnt have that same charm...but the plot twists in it involving the power of Death and all that were hilarious

ValkyrieWing
10-05-2006, 09:13 PM
Agreed. Death Gate Cycle was somehow more magical. I think that Joram and Saryon had an amazing character dynamic, though.

Vincent, Thunder God
10-09-2006, 09:44 PM
A good sci-fi series is Otherland by Tad Williams. It is comprimised of four books, each larger than its predecessor.

Yes, that series is truly excellent.

Speaking of sci-fi/fantasy series, I recommend...

1. The Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan
2. The Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind
3. The Shannara series series by Terry Brooks
4. "His Dark Materials" series by Philip Pullman
5. The Narnia series by C.S. Lewis
6. The Lost Years of Merlin series by T.A. Barron
7. The Oz series by Frank L. Baum

As you can see I like some children's series despite being an avid reader. :D