PDA

View Full Version : Baten Kaitos Origins

LunarWeaver
09-30-2006, 02:52 AM
Aw, the little RPG nobody played gets a sequel nobody will play =( Except the people who play it...Anyway, I loved the first and I haven't got my hands on Origins yet, but it came out Monday so hopefully soon. I like the changes they made from what I've read... There's only 3 characters, but that could mean they're really deep and I like that actually. The battle system seems simplified but still spiffy.

Now you can hold a button to fly for a short period of time too...well it's more like "dash" but you know. I got pissed in the first one because Kalas would go hopping from rock to rock and I just wanted him to zoom across the damn river. Now we can, yay!

No more church leveling makes me happy, and classing up by points also fills me with a glee sensation.

Sooo... anybody have this game? Played it? Like it, hate it? =O

Any comments on if the voice acting and overall plot improved would be sweet juju too :jess:

ljkkjlcm9
09-30-2006, 02:55 AM
never played the first one, I was turned off by the whole "card" system

But I have heard many good things about both games, and that this one is even better than the first. If there wasn't about 5 Wii launch titles I wanted, I might get this, but I need to save my money.

THE JACKEL

Raven Nox
09-30-2006, 03:28 AM
I was planning on making a thread about this game soon. xD

So far, I love it. Actually, I like Baten Kaitos' battle system a bit more right now, but BKO's is just fine. I didn't like that they didn't get you any tutorials for it, and I had to figure it out myself. Though, it's possible there are tutorials and I just missed them. xD

I think the story will be better than the first Baten Kaitos', it's pretty interesting to me so far, though I'm not all that far yet, so I can't really say. xD The character development is also better than the first's, even this early in the game I feel like I'm really getting to know the characters. And yes, the voice acting is much better than the first game's. There's some weird ones mixed in, but overall the voice acting is either good or at least decent.

It's really great to revisit some places from the first game, like Lyude's house, and Azha. I've only been to two islands so far though, Alfard, some new island I forgot the name of, and back to Alfard. xD I can't wait to see the other islands.

I adore being able to use Sagi's wings, I just keep on using them everywhere! xD You got alot faster, and now you don't have to climb stuff, you just fly on up/down!

I'm pretty happy with it, and I find it sad not very many poeple will play it, since it's pretty fun so far. But it's a great sequel/prequel to Baten Kaitos, and I shall rejoice if they decide to make a 3rd one.

Yeah, since I won't see a BK thread again for awhile, I rambled more than normal. xD Sorry.

White Raven
09-30-2006, 05:46 AM
I've gotten it preordered already!

I loved the first game (4th best RPG for Cube though behind Skies, Tales and Paper Mario) I liked all aspects of it and the battle system made it so that one really had to pay attention to each battle.

The only thing I disliked aboot it is the voice overing... they should have had the option of muting it or something. :p

:)

RiseToFall
09-30-2006, 06:09 AM
I own the original Baten Kaitos but never got around to actually playing the damn thing. I did check it out really quickly though and to be honest the beginning kind of bored me. It did have some pretty pre-rendered graphics and the battles were kind of fun. I just hope the story picks up later because it was pretty slow.

After I beat it, then I'll make a decision wether or not I'll be picking up Origins.

LunarWeaver
09-30-2006, 07:22 AM
I think the story will be better than the first Baten Kaitos', it's pretty interesting to me so far, though I'm not all that far yet, so I can't really say. xD The character development is also better than the first's, even this early in the game I feel like I'm really getting to know the characters. And yes, the voice acting is much better than the first game's. There's some weird ones mixed in, but overall the voice acting is either good or at least decent.

Oh good :jess: I'm glad to hear the first impression is good. I heard Sagi speak a little in some gameplay videos and he sounded tolerable at least, so that's always a plus.

I really hope the plot doesn't end up revolving around collecting artifacts again =P

I adore being able to use Sagi's wings, I just keep on using them everywhere! xD You got alot faster, and now you don't have to climb stuff, you just fly on up/down!

:hyper:

I'm pretty happy with it, and I find it sad not very many people will play it, since it's pretty fun so far. But it's a great sequel/prequel to Baten Kaitos, and I shall rejoice if they decide to make a 3rd one.

Me too! These games deserved much more coverage. I think Nintendo intended them to explode with popularity or something, because the sequel was almost cancelled and the DS game went into a frozen state pretty fast
=(

I'd love to see another on the Wii. That would actually be a big selling point for me. Using the Wiimote to click on cards and their numbers is like a perfect match!

Yeah, since I won't see a BK thread again for awhile, I rambled more than normal. xD Sorry.

No no, I thought you were really helpful :jess: Thanks for the info!

never played the first one, I was turned off by the whole "card" system

I think this turned a lot of people off. I know cards are associated with kind of being cheesy these days, but the system really is nothing like the norm. The cards only represent your attacks, and I suppose they chose cards for plot reasons and because stringing the numbers of the cards together in certain ways gives you damage bonuses.

Try and think of it like... If Chrono Cross called them "cards" instead of "Elements", it'd still be the same exact thing. Not that the two share a similar battle system necessarily, but just saying that the card aspect is really only visual and it could easily be renamed something else like "techniques". Er, if it wasn't part of the story anyway.

The only thing I disliked aboot it is the voice overing... they should have had the option of muting it or something

Yeah, the voice acting in the first one was terrible ;_; I'll be very happy if it's better this time.

Actually, in the menu you can turn off the voices. I think it's under "audio" or something like that... it will say Voices and scroll down to a mini-menu of "on" and "off" ^_^

I own the original Baten Kaitos but never got around to actually playing the damn thing. I did check it out really quickly though and to be honest the beginning kind of bored me. It did have some pretty pre-rendered graphics and the battles were kind of fun. I just hope the story picks up later because it was pretty slow.

There's a nice twist in the middle, but most of it is about collecting special Magnus. Which is basically collecting crystals like you have in a million RPGs. The plot is good enough to keep me interested personally, and I liked most of the characters (mute them and save yourself the pain). There's some good moments scattered in there, but it's nothing amazing either =/ They really should have worked harder on that whole aspect :eep:

Roto13
09-30-2006, 12:57 PM
The pacing in the first one annoyed me, but I'm happy to hear you can zoom everywhere now.

Raven Nox
10-01-2006, 04:06 AM
Oh good :jess: I'm glad to hear the first impression is good. I heard Sagi speak a little in some gameplay videos and he sounded tolerable at least, so that's always a plus.

I really hope the plot doesn't end up revolving around collecting artifacts again =P

I tought Sagi sounded odd at first, but after playing 17 hours if I remember correctly (I have no life xD), his voice has grown on me.

As for the plot, you're not hunting End Magnus or anything like that. You ARE going to island to island again though, just not to hunt artifacts. I just got off Alfard actually, but it really doesn't seem all that slow to me because alot of things happened on Alfard and Hassaleh to keep me entertained. ^^;

Me too! These games deserved much more coverage. I think Nintendo intended them to explode with popularity or something, because the sequel was almost cancelled and the DS game went into a frozen state pretty fast
=(

I'd love to see another on the Wii. That would actually be a big selling point for me. Using the Wiimote to click on cards and their numbers is like a perfect match!

Yeah, alot of people believe Baten Kaitos DS was really Origins, but then they decided to make it on the Gamecube instead. A Baten Kaitos on the Wii sounds really good though, I agree the Wiimote would work with the game really well. They could do alot with it. So hears to hoping they make a BK3! xD

As for the card system, I tend to dislike them as well, but the way this series does it is pretty fun, it just takes awhile to get used to. Once I got used to it, I loved battling, and I'm a person that gets annoyed if I'm in to many battles in a short period of time. You just have to play with it for a bit to really decide if you like it or not.

Perhaps like Sagi's voice, I'm fine with BK1's voice acting as well now. xD I thought it was horrible at first, but I don't tend to care about the voices that much. If I don't like them, I turn them off or ignore them. I've heard Xelha scream "Fire BURST!" enough to the point that it doesn't annoy me anymore. xD Of course, most people don't feel this way. ^^;