PDA

View Full Version : The Incredibly Complex License Board

Dynast-Kid
09-30-2006, 02:55 AM
Okay everyone,I found this (http://faqs.neoseeker.com/Games/PS2/final_fantasy_xii_license_board.gif) diagram of the License Board and was REALLY confuzzled!

Like,how come one section is weapons,and the other is abilities?

Does that mean your character can either master different weapons at the cost of learning abilities/magic?

How come it says:Black Magic 6,Time Magic 7 etc.What does that mean?

In essence,I just want an explanation of how the License Board works!

Jessweeee♪
09-30-2006, 03:37 AM
O_O

Dynast-Kid
09-30-2006, 09:40 PM
O_O

That's exactly how I felt when I first saw it.

atlanteay
09-30-2006, 10:57 PM
that looks like a periodic table :p but man that's confusing

LunarWeaver
09-30-2006, 11:20 PM
When you kill the baddies you earn License Points, and buy things on the board with these License Points. You can't use it until you have a License for it, and that goes for equipment and spells.

When you "buy" one square the adjacent squares become available and you can then buy them. Buy one of the adjacent squares and the squares next to that will become available, allowing you to slowly spread across the board.

Everything on the board can be learned by everybody except Mist Knacks (I think they're renamed to Quickenings in English) and summons, they disappear once one person has learned them. Mist Knacks are like the Limit Breaks of FFXII. They're spread across the board so that you're forced to move people in different directions I would assume. There are enough of these for each of the 6 characters to learn exactly 3, and since they double your MP bar when you learn them (I'm fairly certain anyway) it would be best to teach everybody that minimum I 'spose.

Spells and equipment come in batches. White Magic 1 will teach you Cure and Shell, for instance, while White Magic 2 will teach you Cura and Esuna (I have no idea if these are the accurate spells that go with White Magic 1 and 2, I made it up as an example). Same goes for Black Magic 1 and 2 and 3 and so on...

Weapons and armor use this as well. Swords 1 allows you to equip some swords, and Swords 2 will allow you to equip others. Same for Shields 1 and 2 and etc.

Not only do you have to have the license, you must buy it as well. For instance, having White Magic 1 doesn't just make you learn Cure. You also have to buy Cure from a spell shop.

Likewise, buying Cure doesn't teach you it by itself either, you need to also have the license. In other words, you need to both earn the License on the board and actually purchase it. When the two are combined you can then use it. Counterintuitive anybody :shifty:

From what I read on Gamespot, the License board seems to follow less rhyme and reason then you would think and is kind of all over the place. It looks like a good system to me though. I'm afraid I don't really know how it will work out in the end in terms of keeping everybody up-to-date on both spells and equipment because I don't know how it's laid out entirely... But I'm sure they made it all nice and balanced *shrug*... I'll hope anyway :p

Dynast-Kid
10-01-2006, 12:39 AM
When you kill the baddies you earn License Points, and buy things on the board with these License Points. You can't use it until you have a License for it, and that goes for equipment and spells.

When you "buy" one square the adjacent squares become available and you can then buy them. Buy one of the adjacent squares and the squares next to that will become available, allowing you to slowly spread across the board.

Everything on the board can be learned by everybody except Mist Knacks (I think they're renamed to Quickenings in English) and summons, they disappear once one person has learned them. Mist Knacks are like the Limit Breaks of FFXII. They're spread across the board so that you're forced to move people in different directions I would assume. There are enough of these for each of the 6 characters to learn exactly 3, and since they double your MP bar when you learn them (I'm fairly certain anyway) it would be best to teach everybody that minimum I 'spose.

Spells and equipment come in batches. White Magic 1 will teach you Cure and Shell, for instance, while White Magic 2 will teach you Cura and Esuna (I have no idea if these are the accurate spells that go with White Magic 1 and 2, I made it up as an example). Same goes for Black Magic 1 and 2 and 3 and so on...

Weapons and armor use this as well. Swords 1 allows you to equip some swords, and Swords 2 will allow you to equip others. Same for Shields 1 and 2 and etc.

Not only do you have to have the license, you must buy it as well. For instance, having White Magic 1 doesn't just make you learn Cure. You also have to buy Cure from a spell shop.

Likewise, buying Cure doesn't teach you it by itself either, you need to also have the license. In other words, you need to both earn the License on the board and actually purchase it. When the two are combined you can then use it. Counterintuitive anybody :shifty:

From what I read on Gamespot, the License board seems to follow less rhyme and reason then you would think and is kind of all over the place. It looks like a good system to me though. I'm afraid I don't really know how it will work out in the end in terms of keeping everybody up-to-date on both spells and equipment because I don't know how it's laid out entirely... But I'm sure they made it all nice and balanced *shrug*... I'll hope anyway :p

I love you.

Madame Adequate
10-01-2006, 02:07 AM

Counterintuitive? I love it! It's a wonderful system in my eyes :jess: That's just me though. And honestly I loved the Sphere Grid a heck of a lot, but I suspect that Squeenix added the extra condition of buying skills in order to make it more substantially different from that system.

LunarWeaver
10-01-2006, 02:27 AM

Counterintuitive? I love it! It's a wonderful system in my eyes :jess: That's just me though. And honestly I loved the Sphere Grid a heck of a lot, but I suspect that Squeenix added the extra condition of buying skills in order to make it more substantially different from that system.

Oh my, the Sphere Grid is my favorite system, and this one sounds great... It just seemed odd to me initially they made you do both, especially since monsters don't drop gold and I hear it's hard to come by =o...but that just makes it a challenge :jess:

And it's true that doing both will make it a lil' more special.

Dynast-Kid
10-01-2006, 02:37 AM

Oh my, the Sphere Grid is my favorite system, and this one sounds great... It just seemed odd to me initially they made you do both, especially since monsters don't drop gold and I hear it's hard to come by =o...but that just makes it a challenge :jess:

Yeah...I missed the Sphere Grid,and i wished they would've put it in X-2:(

Anyway,i'm kinda mad that the monsters don't drop gold anymore.The only way you can get it is Mob Hunts and selling items/weapons.

Chocobo_Knight
10-01-2006, 03:08 AM
WOW

Lunarweaver, you sure know a LOT even before the game is out. Hahaha. Kudos!

Dynast-Kid
10-01-2006, 03:12 AM
Yeah,LunarWeaver is a big FFXII fan like me!We're practically soul-mates!

Dell
10-01-2006, 06:48 AM

Yeah...I missed the Sphere Grid,and i wished they would've put it in X-2:(

Anyway,i'm kinda mad that the monsters don't drop gil anymore.The only way you can get it is Mob Hunts and selling items/weapons.

:jess: That's the crisis that I'm facing or probably everyone will face in FFXII. I hope you guys get the crisis too. :p

Aria28
10-01-2006, 11:30 PM
Really people, you shouldn't worry: the system is a lot more simple once you are in front of it than it looks in the first place (and trust me, I was totally going "what the....?" when I first saw it). Lunar Weaver made a good job of summing it up (ps: "White Magic 1 is for Cure and Blana (cures darkness), while White Magic 2 is for Vocal and Poisona;) ). It becomes second nature almost as soon as you're introduced to it. I loved the sphere grid, but I find this one just as good, only slightly different.

As it was pointed out, the license board is divided into two parts: top part hosts Magics, Accessories, Abilities (like "steal"), as well as stats increases (nothing major, but they can give your stats a little boost when bought). Lower part hosts weapons and armors. Both have Mist Knacks and Summons squares as well, which are located mostly on the outside, so it takes a little while to reach them.

And yes, when you get your second Mist Knack, your MP double, and your MP bar is divided into two.

I have written a summary about how it all works with caps from the game, if you're interested. Just PM me if you want me to send you the link (I'm not sure if they allow us to post links to our personal website, even if it's FF XII-related....)

Tainted Angel
10-03-2006, 02:05 AM
Okay everyone,I found this (http://faqs.neoseeker.com/Games/PS2/final_fantasy_xii_license_board.gif) diagram of the License Board and was REALLY confuzzled!

Like,how come one section is weapons,and the other is abilities?

Does that mean your character can either master different weapons at the cost of learning abilities/magic?

How come it says:Black Magic 6,Time Magic 7 etc.What does that mean?

In essence,I just want an explanation of how the License Board works!

As far as the 'red' squares (magic) it's not in order, however each increased ability is next to each other. Look for 'White Magic 1' and go from there. It makes strange sense.. it is NOT linear, prob to keep you from having to do things linerally.(sp?)

crazybayman
10-03-2006, 02:15 PM
Buying your magic......sounds like a throw-back to FF1, where you had to buy your spells.

Me back in the day: "OMG I FINALLY SAVED ENOUGH TO BUY FIR3!!!!"
:p

And the liscence board sounds like a great idea. In the real world (in Canada, anyway), one must purchase a liscence to hunt, and carry a fire-arm (gun).

I'm getting more excited about this game by the day. :)

Yar
10-13-2006, 03:21 AM
Will your characters still gain levels? In X they gaines sphere levels, but they were easily decresed back to 0 when credits were used.

OR will you gain HP, MP, Strength etc. etc. from the liscense board?

Can you buy spells BEFORE you have a license?

XxSephirothxX
10-13-2006, 03:42 AM
As much as I enjoy the old system prevalent in classic Final Fantasy games, once I figured out the sphere grid I realized how great a system it really was. This sounds like it'll be pretty cool. I might even have to buy the game. :p

Dell
10-13-2006, 05:15 PM
Will your characters still gain levels? In X they gaines sphere levels, but they were easily decresed back to 0 when credits were used.

1. I need Aria28 or Lunar here.

2. No, they only provide abilities and weapons. Nodes in License Board varies in different thing: There are nodes that allow you to increase your max HP (not very sure about MP), there are also: Some increase your chance of higher damage, some allow Remedy to cure more status, some increase your time bar, some decrease the MP cost for magic by 10%, some gives the ability that an accessories have and some let healing items heals you more (Potion [100 HP] becomes [110 HP]).

3. Yes. The spell is like weapons/armors. They are available as you progress more in the story. And you can learn as many licenses as you want as long as you have License Point for it. And you can buy as many spells/skills available as you want as long as you have gils. But you cannot use them until after you gain their license and their magic/skill. *LOOK AT LunarWeaver's POST*

Croyles
10-13-2006, 07:02 PM
its easy to get gold, just sell all those items you won from the monsters, the game ENCOURAGES you to do so.

crazybayman
10-14-2006, 01:01 PM
As much as I enjoy the old system prevalent in classic Final Fantasy games, once I figured out the sphere grid I realized how great a system it really was.
Same here.

The liscence board sounds very similar to the sphere-grid, with the addition of using it to aquire liscences as well as learning skills.

I can't wait. The first "fresh" console Final Fantasy since FFX. Finally.

Russielloyd
10-14-2006, 01:23 PM

That's exactly right, i've been playing on it for 2 days now, none of it is confusing, only thing you want to worry about is which route you want to take.
Only thing that lets me down is the Limit breaks as no one truely has their own specific one.

Oh my, the Sphere Grid is my favorite system, and this one sounds great... It just seemed odd to me initially they made you do both, especially since monsters don't drop gold and I hear it's hard to come by =o...but that just makes it a challenge

Monsters drop loot for reasonable prices, which if you stock up on then sell it can bring you in alot of gil.

Also if anyone wants, i can capture the license board to a video clip or get pics if anyone wants.

Paul
10-14-2006, 08:55 PM

That's exactly right, i've been playing on it for 2 days now, none of it is confusing, only thing you want to worry about is which route you want to take.
Only thing that lets me down is the Limit breaks as no one truely has their own specific one.

Oh my, the Sphere Grid is my favorite system, and this one sounds great... It just seemed odd to me initially they made you do both, especially since monsters don't drop gold and I hear it's hard to come by =o...but that just makes it a challenge

Monsters drop loot for reasonable prices, which if you stock up on then sell it can bring you in alot of gil.

Also if anyone wants, i can capture the license board to a video clip or get pics if anyone wants.
good point today. we were awful. oh also, err... final fantasy xii an' that

Tainted Angel
10-14-2006, 10:03 PM
I see this as fael personally.. not any other way mind. First I have to earn points for liscences. Then I have to purchase the liscences on the board, then I have to BUY THE SPELLS!?!

Wait... do they made gil zilch, then make you register for the privlage of using a bought spell?

Yea.. .realstic considering the prevelance of socialist-buracratic states RL, but not what I would have imagined for FF.

Paul
10-14-2006, 11:40 PM
it doesn't sound that bad. sounds cool to me. like you can buy abilities and spells, but you need a liscence to use them! yea :D i like it.

also they didn't make gil zilch. they just made it more real. why would a monster be carrying money? it wouldn't, but like in FFXI, you can find things on monsters such as their skin or meat. and you can sell it to shops for money.

Yar
10-15-2006, 03:26 AM
Do you have to go in a linear path as in the Sphere Grid? Or can you go from a point out in many directions. It looks like a checkerboard so I was wondering if you just used LP to buy Licenses, not move on the board.

Tainted Angel
10-15-2006, 04:20 AM
it doesn't sound that bad. sounds cool to me. like you can buy abilities and spells, but you need a liscence to use them! yea :D i like it.

also they didn't make gil zilch. they just made it more real. why would a monster be carrying money? it wouldn't, but like in FFXI, you can find things on monsters such as their skin or meat. and you can sell it to shops for money.

That's overexplaining things. Monsters liked money because it was shiny, or they were being pair, or they looted the dead.

Simple concept. Why did it change?

Croyles
10-15-2006, 11:00 AM
The system is fine and good trust me.

Dell
10-15-2006, 11:18 AM
Do you have to go in a linear path as in the Sphere Grid? Or can you go from a point out in many directions. It looks like a checkerboard so I was wondering if you just used LP to buy Licenses, not move on the board.

No, you can go in any direction as long as you have LP. :p

Paul
10-15-2006, 11:56 AM

That's overexplaining things. Monsters liked money because it was shiny, or they were being pair, or they looted the dead.

Simple concept. Why did it change?
i don't know what you are complaining about, this system seems more real and also better.

abe123
10-16-2006, 01:35 AM
what about for the summons? do they have licensce boards to give them certain abilities and stuff or do they just come automatically?

Paul
10-16-2006, 02:08 AM
what about for the summons? do they have licensce boards to give them certain abilities and stuff or do they just come automatically?from what i have read, when you aquire a summon monster (by defeating it in battle), one character has to sign a permanent bind with that monster, and for the rest of the game only that character can summon it.

Dell
10-16-2006, 12:58 PM
what about for the summons? do they have licensce boards to give them certain abilities and stuff or do they just come automatically?from what i have read, when you aquire a summon monster (by defeating it in battle), one character has to sign a permanent bind with that monster, and for the rest of the game only that character can summon it.

Yeah. When you defeat them their node appeared in the license board. About their ability, I think it's automatic or the summoner's level?

Russielloyd
10-16-2006, 03:31 PM

Yeah. When you defeat them their node appeared in the license board. About their ability, I think it's automatic or the summoner's level?

From what i can tell from playing, the Espers levels and strength and such grow as it summoner levels.

Aria28
10-16-2006, 08:06 PM

1. I need Aria28 or Lunar here.

2. No, they only provide abilities and weapons. Nodes in License Board varies in different thing: There are nodes that allow you to increase your max HP (not very sure about MP), there are also: Some increase your chance of higher damage, some allow Remedy to cure more status, some increase your time bar, some decrease the MP cost for magic by 10%, some gives the ability that an accessories have and some let healing items heals you more (Potion [100 HP] becomes [110 HP]).

3. Yes. The spell is like weapons/armors. They are available as you progress more in the story. And you can learn as many licenses as you want as long as you have License Point for it. And you can buy as many spells/skills available as you want as long as you have gils. But you cannot use them until after you gain their license and their magic/skill. *LOOK AT LunarWeaver's POST*

Sorry, I wasn't able to check too much on the threads :(

1) Yes, when you defeat a monster, you get both EXP and LP - EXP are for your regular level progress like in most FF, except FF X. It goes all the way up to level 99, and your stats, like HP, MP, etc, increase as well. At the same time, you get 1 or more LP for each monster defeated, with which you can buy licenses on the board

You don't get EXP from Mob hunts

2) vivi_ultima pretty much said it all. I just want to confirm that, while you get HP increase, you don't get MP increases per se, but your MP bar increases as you aquire more Mist Knacks for a character

3) Nothing to add to LunarWeaver's and vivi_ultima's post:)

Krunal
10-16-2006, 10:50 PM
Hi everyone, I'm Krunal (the author of the License Board FAQ that you've put on the first page ;)) I thought that I'd put my two cents into this conversation :)

Anyway, what you need to do is take a look at the License Board FAQ (http://defiant.neoseeker.com/resourcelink.html?rlid=126618&rid=118047) that accompanies the Image version of the FAQ. The Text version contains details on exactly what each magic and weapon and well everything is. I've also submitted an updated version of the License Board which should be updated in a day or two which will have a couple of changes from the one on the first page (corrected many errors).

With that out of the way, believe me when I say that the Licenseboard is anything but complicated, once you get used to it, it you will love it and find it easy to use. Oh and all characters that are not active also gain LP so no worrying about that (they wont gain EXP however).

James16
10-17-2006, 04:42 PM
So basically its like a bigger sphere grid but istead it bieng an a sphere thing its on like a chekerd board lookin thingy???:confused: either way it seems like a good thing an it seems like another game im going to be geting really into an play days on end. =)

Dell
10-18-2006, 06:08 PM
Krunal, thanks for the FAQ, that help me at first.

James16, I think Sphere Grid is bigger than License Board. Same as Sphere grid but no stat nodes.

Krunal
10-19-2006, 08:42 AM
Sphere Grid is certainly bigger! I've actually started working on a License Board with the english translations instead of the Japanese ones, nodes such as 'Ether Knowledge 1' have been renamed 'Ether Lore 1' and still does the same thing. That version will take a week or two more to complete and when it is complete I'll update the FAQ. The Text file will be updated sometime today with the english names.

I'm glad you all have liked it, as I've created it for the sole purpose of making it easier for you to see what you'll be doing in the game. ^^

XxSephirothxX
10-19-2006, 05:07 PM
From what I've read in EGM, it sounds like the license board is pretty much a dumbed down version of the Sphere grid, which is a shame. Something equally or more complex would've been welcome.

RiseToFall
10-19-2006, 06:02 PM
From what I've read in EGM, it sounds like the license board is pretty much a dumbed down version of the Sphere grid, which is a shame. Something equally or more complex would've been welcome.

Actually from what I've heard, the license board has alot more customization than the sphere grid.

Croyles
10-19-2006, 06:28 PM

Actually from what I've heard, the license board has alot more customization than the sphere grid.

It does have a lot more customization.

XxSephirothxX
10-19-2006, 08:46 PM
The exact quote was "The License Board enables you to completely customize your fighters' abilities, but it's nothing more than a rehash of FFX's Sphere Grid, only far more vague and less user-friendly." It also says that "everyone has an even playing field with identical boards." One of my favorite things about the Sphere Grid was that, in the beginning, you had a specific path you more or less had to follow for each character, but once you progressed further you could branch out and teach them more powerful skills; Yuna was a white mage and summoner most of the game, but eventually you could branch her out to black magic and so forth. I think I prefer that to complete freedom with each character, but neither is especially a bad thing.

LunarWeaver
10-19-2006, 10:49 PM
I love my Sphere Grid, and I'd take that exact system again. I also enjoyed that they were locked into a "Job" for most of the game personally. However, I can certainly imagine many people wanted a system that let them do whatever they wanted, so it's nice that they cooked leaned more towards that. Since I've already had my Sphere Grid once, I'm happy with the License Board and how it functions myself.

I've read a lot that everybody becomes pretty much the same, especially near the end...But similar to the Sphere Grid, the whole thing is up to you. If you really want only one person to be your "Black Mage," I guess you as the player can choose to teach all those spells to one person and then nobody else... Or so I'd think, since I haven't actually played the game yet and I hear it's somewhat hard, that may make you too unbalanced, but options seem to be there to me.

Guardians
10-21-2006, 06:21 AM
dont worry , ur LP sure enough to use for all license board XD
i play japanese version... complete all license still got a lot LP.... so about the weapon ,magic thing, hard to explain, u also can dont care it, just get ur license when u got enough lp

James16
10-23-2006, 03:26 PM
can you apply statues alliements are element boost to ur weapons or armor threw the lincinse board or is that something you have to buy at a shop or sometin??

Aria28
10-24-2006, 03:17 AM
can you apply statues alliements are element boost to ur weapons or armor threw the lincinse board or is that something you have to buy at a shop or sometin??

I'm not sure what you mean....do you mean to ask if you can custom weapons/armor in a way? No, you can't. Each weapon (there's a ton of them throughout the game) has its own characteristics that are added to the stats/skills of your character. Some may inflict bad statuses or protect you from them (well, accessories do that really), but you can't customize a weapon or a piece of armor in any way

James16
10-24-2006, 03:39 PM
that sux, but ive seen things for the weapons an i know what ya mean by a ton of weapons. But another thing im wounderin. Is it like the sphere grid where everyone can learn the same crap or do certian people have certian techs only they can learn an not anybody else??

Paul
10-24-2006, 11:39 PM
everyone can learn the same things except for limit breaks and summons.

but it's up to you if you make all your characters the same. if you have 4 options open up to you on the license board and then you make all of your characters choose the same option, then you can have no complains when they are all the same (not directed at you, but someone else earlier was moaning all their characters were the same).

James16
10-25-2006, 04:33 PM
So really in truely you can make the party's stats an abilitys to ur own liking. Thats really bad ass!!:D

Dell
10-26-2006, 06:02 AM
So really in truely you can make the party's stats an abilitys to ur own liking. Thats really bad ass!!:D

Well, it's better to teach them all of the spell. Because it's nice to have people with the same ability, when your white mage is silenced, you have someone to back-up with Vocal. When someone hit your black mage to critical, your white mage have a Don't Act status, someone can back-up with Curada. But I don't think you need Curada when you have Larsa. :D

The exact quote was "The License Board enables you to completely customize your fighters' abilities, but it's nothing more than a rehash of FFX's Sphere Grid, only far more vague and less user-friendly." It also says that "everyone has an even playing field with identical boards." One of my favorite things about the Sphere Grid was that, in the beginning, you had a specific path you more or less had to follow for each character, but once you progressed further you could branch out and teach them more powerful skills; Yuna was a white mage and summoner most of the game, but eventually you could branch her out to black magic and so forth. I think I prefer that to complete freedom with each character, but neither is especially a bad thing.

Yeah, License Board is pretty much like that.

SuperNatural
10-29-2006, 08:41 PM
It'll be like the Sphere Grid in Final Fantasy X. Confusing and frustrating at first, then fun and intuative once you understand it.

I hope.