PDA

View Full Version : What's this? Greatly translated?

Elpizo
09-30-2006, 09:34 PM
So I was surfing the net searching for a FF II NES ROM, when I stumbled upon these. These appear to be greatly and correctly translated version of FF IV, V and VI in their SNES version. Probably fan-translated, but the translations of FF IV and V are more accurate than their US FF II or Playstation FF V counterparts. In the VI translation, I noticed how close it is to the "true" translation. (Esper = Phantom Beast in this ROM)

Final Fantasy IV (SNES) screens:

http://www.maj.com/gallery/Elpizo/Screenshots2/screen6.png

http://www.maj.com/gallery/Elpizo/Artwork/screen1.png

See how there's "Dark Wave" standing there? In a SNES version of FF IV? In English? Notice how Kain is called Cain, tough.

Final Fantasy V (SNES) screens:

http://www.maj.com/gallery/Elpizo/Screenshots2/ff_v_screen4.png

http://www.maj.com/gallery/Elpizo/Screenshots2/ff_v_screen7.png
See this "Yes" and "No"? In the translated rom many of us played, this isn't there. Yo usee some weird signs. In the Playsation version, this probably is there. But in this translated ROM, Faris speeks normally. So this is like the Playstation translation, only correctly and pleasant to read!

Final Fantasy VI (SNES) screens:

http://www.maj.com/gallery/Elpizo/Screenshots2/ff_vi_screen1.png

http://www.maj.com/gallery/Elpizo/Screenshots2/ff_vi_screen2.png

http://www.maj.com/gallery/Elpizo/Artwork/ff_vi_screen3.png

http://www.maj.com/gallery/Elpizo/Commics/ff_vi_screen4.png

As you can see, a beautiful intro screen and a different translation?
I think the font used in this translation is different than the US FF III ROM I played. That, and the fact that one screen clearly says FF VI. Also, I noticed Espers are here clearly called "Phantom Beasts". So this means this is the actual correct translation.

So what do you think about these? These are SNES ROMs I found on the net, but the translation is much more accurate! I wish I found them sooner... Has anybody else found these ROMs? I know now with the GBA releases, these are pointless to download, if I were allowed to give the lin, in public, but I still think it's kind of neat. I actually recommend to give them a try, even if it were for a few minutes.

Has this been found before?
If you believe I editted these, I didn't, no way I could do that.
If you want real proove, I think I can PM you the link to the download page (?).
I'm right now having fun with an English FF IV hardtype and a good translation of FF V. Well, of to play some more!

Comments? Close if this is old news. I fear it will be, but oh, I could only try.

Captain Maxx Power
09-30-2006, 09:39 PM
ROMs tend to get redone/translated/hacked on a semi-regular basis. There's so many different versions flying around the shop you can expect something like this to surface once in a while, usually some fan effort on some obscure forum that only get's attention after extensive torrenting.

Elpizo
09-30-2006, 09:46 PM
ROMs tend to get redone/translated/hacked on a semi-regular basis. There's so many different versions flying around the shop you can expect something like this to surface once in a while, usually some fan effort on some obscure forum that only get's attention after extensive torrenting.
I noticed these were recently done. What stunned me however, was how good and close they are translated. That's why I decided to mention them. So far, before these ones, teh only FF IV, V and VI ROMs were FF II US, FF III US and that V fan-translation that has soem flaws. These show no flaws and are quiet well done. That's what surprised me. Whoever did this did a better job than the translators back in 1991 and 1994 :p

Bolivar
10-01-2006, 12:54 AM
I used that version of FFVI when I first played it. Because of it, I always refer to him as Mash instead of Sabin.

It's pretty good and you get a good idea of things that were censored, and changed for our sensitive american culture of games.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
10-01-2006, 02:29 AM
Don't let "Cain" and "Phantom Beasts" fool you. The fan-translations of FFIV and FFVI still take plenty of liberties with the Japanese scripts.

Elpizo
10-01-2006, 07:25 AM
Don't let "Cain" and "Phantom Beasts" fool you. The fan-translations of FFIV and FFVI still take plenty of liberties with the Japanese scripts.
Yeah, probably. What really has me hooked is the V Rom here, cause I never played a version with a good translation. At least I have something to keep me busy while i'm waiting for FF III DS and V and VI advance. It's also good to play FF IV in it's original (japanese) difficulty.

Roto13
10-02-2006, 01:41 AM
I wouldn't call it "greatly" translated so much as I would call it "differently" translated. I'm playing it, and as someone who's finished the original version countless times, I'm enjoying the freshness that comes with a new script.

Elpizo
10-02-2006, 06:40 AM
I wouldn't call it "greatly" translated so much as I would call it "differently" translated. I'm playing it, and as someone who's finished the original version countless times, I'm enjoying the freshness that comes with a new script.
Well... Greatly translated, I ment for FF V and IV. Especially V.
VI's just... different.
Great, I'm already in Karnak in V and I haven't discovered any flaws in the translation at all. :)

aerithsloveslave
10-02-2006, 12:52 PM
I played the IV ROM all the way through. I was an ok translation but the swearing (from Edge) brought me out of the game. It was nothing compared to VI, though, where Kefka... sorry, Cefka drops the f bomb like its going out of style. Now if someone would take the new GBA translations and throw them on the SNES ROMs I'd be in heaven. :D

Roto13
10-02-2006, 02:55 PM
"son of a submariner!" = "son of a bitch!" :(

DJZen
10-02-2006, 04:08 PM
Yeah, I've read a competant translation of FFVI and... SkyRender's script is about as inaccurate as Woolsey's script. Woolsey had a lot less time at his disposal so he made more "casual mistakes", and had to deal with Nintendo's censorship policies. SkyRender put a lot more words in people's mouths. In either event, neither can completely capture the spirit of the original because of the insane grammatical differences between Japanese and English.

Elpizo
10-02-2006, 05:04 PM
At least the V translation is good. ^^
Seems the only good one out of the three, judging from your reactions. :D

Sefie1999AD
10-03-2006, 09:24 PM
They're all fan translations for the SNES games. FFIV fan translation is done by J2e, and it's a very detailed translation, although the swearing is sometimes overused there. I think the official GBA translation is slightly better than J2e's fan translation, though I still think J2e's is the most detailed (not sure about the accuracy). FFV fan translation by RPGe is great, and it's a lot better than the Anthology English version, IMHO. The FFVI fan translation by Sky Render is so-so, and I think its only purpose is to show everyone how badly Woolsey translated some of his stuff, although I don't see SR doing much better, either. Kefka using the F-word 17 times on a row in the Floating Continent is just too much. :Oo:

Elpizo
10-04-2006, 11:39 AM
They're all fan translations for the SNES games. FFIV fan translation is done by J2e, and it's a very detailed translation, although the swearing is sometimes overused there. I think the official GBA translation is slightly better than J2e's fan translation, though I still think J2e's is the most detailed (not sure about the accuracy). FFV fan translation by RPGe is great, and it's a lot better than the Anthology English version, IMHO. The FFVI fan translation by Sky Render is so-so, and I think its only purpose is to show everyone how badly Woolsey translated some of his stuff, although I don't see SR doing much better, either. Kefka using the F-word 17 times on a row in the Floating Continent is just too much. :Oo:
Kefka was good because he used such 'weird' lines. I hope they don't make him a swearing jerk in the GBA version.

So far, V's translation is still the best. I wonder how the GBA version will be when it comes to translation?

LoKuS
10-04-2006, 04:32 PM
When does FFV come out for GBA?

Kawaii Ryűkishi
10-04-2006, 04:41 PM
November 6.