PDA

View Full Version : PS3 PRICE DROP!?!?

tidus_rox
10-01-2006, 09:29 PM
I dont know, I heard about it, can anyone confirm it? It was supposed to be released at about 600 but now somepeople are saying that it was dropped to 430? Anyone else hear anything about this?

Dreddz
10-01-2006, 09:31 PM
I believe the price dropped for the Japanese model. No where else unfortunately.

Yamaneko
10-01-2006, 09:59 PM
Japan only.

Erdrick Holmes
10-01-2006, 10:44 PM
OH MY GOD THIS IS NOT TREW BECAUSE YOU DON'T GOT LINKS THAT HAVE SONY IN THE URL!!!!!111111!~#!@$!@#$!@$

Paro
10-01-2006, 10:48 PM
i don't care how much it's going to cost me, it's going to be played by me.

Vincent, Thunder God
10-01-2006, 10:49 PM
i don't care how much it's going to cost me, it's going to be played by me.

Same here. :D

Raistlin
10-01-2006, 10:52 PM
OH MY GOD THIS IS NOT TREW BECAUSE YOU DON'T GOT LINKS THAT HAVE SONY IN THE URL!!!!!111111!~#!@$!@#$!@$

And yet again, Joel can't argue anything rationally. You cited a BLOG, which in turn, cited RUMORs. Any moron could understand how that should be weighted less than Sony's actual website.

But as stated, this seems to be Japan-only.

Erdrick Holmes
10-01-2006, 10:55 PM

And yet again, Joel can't argue anything rationally. You cited a BLOG, which in turn, cited RUMORs. Any moron could understand how that should be weighted less than Sony's actual website.

But as stated, this seems to be Japan-only.

You do realize that joke was a joke at you... right? Pretty much anything I can post that shows something negetive about the Piece of /xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif 3 you won't accept, even if it IS official, you fanboys just love your consoles so much you're in denial about some potential negetive facts about it.

Madame Adequate
10-01-2006, 11:09 PM
Hahaha, it's cute when Joel calls someone a fanboy.

And yeah, only in Japan, sadly. Still, it'll drop in price within a few months I expect. Most do.

MecaKane
10-01-2006, 11:18 PM
Also it's the $500 one that dropped to 430, they're letting retailers set whatever price they want for the 60GB one. :eek:

Pretty much anything I can post that shows something negetive about the Piece of /xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif 3 you won't accept, even if it IS official, you fanboys just love your consoles so much you're in denial about some potential negetive facts about it.
I wasn't aware you had anything official. I must've missed it, what thread did you post it in? I hope it's nothing too bad.

Azure Chrysanthemum
10-01-2006, 11:20 PM
Joel. Knock it off. Now. You're being abrasive and trolling, as well as making completely unfounded accusations. If you can't post civilly, don't post at all.

Roto13
10-01-2006, 11:29 PM
they're letting retailers set whatever price they want for the 60GB one. :eek:

Well, retailers are allowed to sell anything for however much they want, anyway, unless otherwise regulated by the government.

Erdrick Holmes
10-01-2006, 11:54 PM
Joel. Knock it off. Now. You're being abrasive and trolling, as well as making completely unfounded accusations. If you can't post civilly, don't post at all.

Why should I? Raist and Kane get away with calling me an idiot just because I pointed out a possible negetive thing on their stupid console so why can't I?

Madame Adequate
10-02-2006, 12:00 AM

Why should I? Raist and Kane get away with calling me an idiot just because I pointed out a possible negetive thing on their stupid console so why can't I?

Because they were actually right, and you were taking something entirely unfounded as the God's Honest. I don't think they were in error to point this out.

Erdrick Holmes
10-02-2006, 12:04 AM
Since when did I ever say 'I was right'? I merely pointed out a rumour and all the Piece of /xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif 3 fanboys got all whiney about it. Even if Sony didn't jack up the prices of games they would and get away with it because you all know you'd buy them.

If you wonder if I'm talking about you I probably am!

~SapphireStar~
10-02-2006, 12:11 AM
Couldnt care less. Cant see myself getting one.

Hawkeye
10-02-2006, 12:26 AM
ooc: We need some serious goosfraba in this thread.

Spammerman
10-02-2006, 03:18 AM
i don't care how much it's going to cost him, it's going to be played by link31793.

LunarWeaver
10-02-2006, 03:41 AM
I felt all hopeful, and now it's Japan only? My nemesis hope strikes again :mad2:

Still, it'll drop in price within a few months I expect. Most do.

This would be perfect for me if it happened ;O! In a few months after release I'll have an idea of which I want, and a yummy price drop would look pretty good.

Khaotic
10-02-2006, 04:18 AM
How racist ;o

fantasyjunkie
10-02-2006, 07:41 AM
I'm just gonna have to wait a couple of years for it to drop down to $400 or so, my wife would kill me for even ASKING to spend $600 on a console :D

Slicksword45
10-02-2006, 06:57 PM
I'm still going to buy it when it comes out regardless of the price.

My mom (Yea, i'm only 13, so I still live with my mom :) ) said she would pay $250 if I pay the other $250. I already have enough for the $500 one, so my gole is to get $350 for the 600 one.

Shame the price drop is only in japan though :(

ah well :)

Roto13
10-02-2006, 07:53 PM

My mom (Yea, i'm only 13, so I still live with my mom :) ) said she would pay $250 if I pay the other $250. I already have enough for the $500 one, so my gole is to get $350 for the 600 one.

Who's going to pay for your second one when your first one overheats/crashes/explodes/whatever?

Dreddz
10-02-2006, 07:58 PM

Who's going to pay for your second one when your first one overheats/crashes/explodes/whatever?
Stop assuming stuff.

bipper
10-02-2006, 08:01 PM
ooc: We need some serious goosfraba in this thread.

::win::

Yeh, I wonder why it is cheaper in ONLY japan. Any leads on the why?

Breine
10-02-2006, 08:15 PM

I would kill to have your mom.

Anyways, I'll probably get it when it's released as well, even though it's very pricy.

Raistlin
10-02-2006, 08:26 PM
I wonder how many times I have to say I'm not willing to pay $600 for a PS3 before Joel stops callimg me a fanboy... *ponders*

And bipper: it's because Japan sucks. :mad2:

bipper
10-02-2006, 08:29 PM
And bipper: it's because Japan sucks. :mad2:

I concour! :hot:

Rainecloud
10-02-2006, 08:33 PM
Are they panicking? Probably not...

Still, it seems unusual to drop the price of a console before it's even released.

KentaRawr!
10-02-2006, 08:43 PM

Stop assuming stuff.

Oh c'mon. You know he wasn't serious, even if he's set on that being true. :p

Azure Chrysanthemum
10-02-2006, 08:44 PM
Raistlin, knock it off. You and Kane are also at fault for propogating these arguments.

Anyway, 1st generation Sony releases are notoriously buggy, so I'd say you're probably best off waiting for a natural price drop anyway.

Roto13
10-02-2006, 08:51 PM
[QUOTE=Slicksword45;1919673]I'm still going to buy it when it comes out regardless of the price.

Stop assuming stuff.
Name a Sony system that hasn't sucked at launch. I'm assuming this will be too, the same way I'm assuming the sun will rise tomorrow.

Sylvie
10-02-2006, 08:54 PM
[quote=Slicksword45;1919673]I'm still going to buy it when it comes out regardless of the price.

Stop assuming stuff.
Name a Sony system that hasn't sucked at launch. I'm assuming this will be too, the same way I'm assuming the sun will rise tomorrow.
$5 dollars says the world is gonna end before sunrise.

Dreddz
10-02-2006, 08:55 PM
[QUOTE=Slicksword45;1919673]I'm still going to buy it when it comes out regardless of the price.

Stop assuming stuff.

Just because previous consoles at launch have been faulty, dont instantly assume this one will be. Also, your assuming the PS3 will break down completely on people, I'd say if theres any problems, they'll likely be only minor.

Roto13
10-02-2006, 08:59 PM
Disc read errors and overheating are not minor.

Sylvie
10-02-2006, 09:00 PM
[quote=Slicksword45;1919673]I'm still going to buy it when it comes out regardless of the price.

Stop assuming stuff.

Just because previous consoles at launch have been faulty, dont instantly assume this one will be. Also, your assuming the PS3 will break down completely on people, I'd say if theres any problems, they'll likely be only minor.

If it ends up like the 360 did at launch, then it ain't gonna be minor. Eating disks and crashing is not minor.

Azure Chrysanthemum
10-02-2006, 09:01 PM

Also, pre-established history of faulty first generation releases don't mean that the next release will be really buggy. But they also don't mean that they won't. I, personally, am not willing to throw down $5-600 for a system by a maker that has a history of releasing faulty systems for the first generation. I've more important things to spend my cash on.

Raistlin
10-02-2006, 09:02 PM
I got a PS2 at launch and it was perfectly fine. =o

Dreddz
10-02-2006, 09:02 PM

Disc read errors were fixable, and didnt occur in every PS2. And I dont recall any Sony system to overheat and thus, break the system.

Roto13
10-02-2006, 09:06 PM
*gives you a cookie*

Disc read errors were fixable, and didnt occur in every PS2. And I dont recall any Sony system to overheat and thus, break the system.

You shouldn't HAVE to send your PS2 away to be fixed, and the original PS1s overheated. You had to turn them upside down to avoid it. The overheating didn't HAVE to break the system. It was already broken.

Dreddz
10-02-2006, 09:16 PM
*gives you a cookie*

You shouldn't HAVE to send your PS2 away to be fixed, and the original PS1s overheated. You had to turn them upside down to avoid it. The overheating didn't HAVE to break the system. It was already broken.

By the way, turning your PS1 upside down was a myth, people did it thinking it was helping the system. Its still unknown if it was helping the system or not.

Roto13
10-02-2006, 09:18 PM
That's even worse. :P

LunarWeaver
10-02-2006, 09:19 PM
:O_O:

Well, nobody knows the future, so the Ps3 launch could go perfectly fine... But I agree with Behold the Void in that, going by history, it isn't exactly a safe bet, and it's a pricey bet at that. =/ Safer to just wait :jess:

Then again, my brother and I both got Ps2s on launch and we both took perfect care of them. Mine broke in a year and his still works to this day perfectly fine. Goes to show ya never know. Or that he's a witch, one or the other.

Slothy
10-02-2006, 09:36 PM
Are they panicking? Probably not...

Still, it seems unusual to drop the price of a console before it's even released.

If anything I'd say it could very well be to appease the retailers who complained about the high price, and try and make up for Japan getting boned at launch. They're only getting 100,000 systems on day one afterall. It'll probably be hard enough to find one in North America on launch day with 4x that number coming to this side of the Pacific, so I pity those Japanese who are trying to find one on the first day.

As for first-gen systems being faulty, Sony may have a history of it, but then so does Microsoft. That said, my PS2 I bought on launch day still works perfectly, so go figure.

Vikeve
10-02-2006, 09:47 PM
What a drag. The PS3 is way to expensive i don't think i'll bye one until the prices lower. I don't think the PS3 will be all crudy I have a feeling it will work just fine. But you can never be to sure, my brother bought the mini or whatever its called PS2 and it sucks. Its always scratcing up my disc.

Is it true that if you put touth past on a disc it will clear up the scratches? And since when was turing the PS1 around supposed to help it? But then again my PS2 froze up and when i shook it and turned it to its side it worked fine again....

Slicksword45
10-02-2006, 11:17 PM
If the Ps3 breaks due to faulty stuff you *Gasp* send it to Sony for a new one

If the stuff inside the Ps3 is faluty then Sony will replace it. and if you don't want to buy the first ver. then wait.

(Lots of figureing out we had to do their.....)

Tifa's Real Lover(really
10-02-2006, 11:35 PM
*gives you a cookie*

By the way, turning your PS1 upside down was a myth, people did it thinking it was helping the system. Its still unknown if it was helping the system or not.

like those old nes-n64 cassates where you blowed at the end of the cartrige:rolleyes2

Madame Adequate
10-03-2006, 12:17 AM

I can absolutely guarantee you that turning my PS1 upside down helped it and continues to do so.

It wasn't to do with overheating though, it was because the rails the laser platform was mounted on got worn down due to being plastic, so the laser ended up improperly aligned. Being upside down sets this right... at least until it wears in the other direction. xD

Captain Maxx Power
10-03-2006, 01:50 AM
They're dropping the price, but they're taking out all weak points on any crab-based enemies to compensate.

Also games will cost your right kidney.

Roto13
10-03-2006, 01:55 AM
I heard they're taking some of the "R"s out of RRRRRRRRRIDGE RRRRACERRRRRRRRR....

Sylvie
10-03-2006, 01:58 AM
I heard they're taking some of the "R"s out of RRRRRRRRRIDGE RRRRACERRRRRRRRR....
:(

Sephex
10-03-2006, 02:05 AM
*gives you a cookie*

like those old nes-n64 cassates where you blowed at the end of the cartrige:rolleyes2

That is the weakest arguement ever.

1) NES did have glitchy cart contact points, but that was new technology at the time. I'll give you that one.

2) SNES and N64 carts had you blow into them once in awhile, but they worked after one of two tries. If not, then you need to take care of your games a bit better. That's like complaing that a game disc got scratched because you stored it without a case.

3) Blowing into carts is MUCH LESS OF A PROBLEM than a system overheating, a disc read error, dozens of dead pixels, or anything that cuases you to send your system in for repairs when it is brand new.

Roto13
10-03-2006, 02:11 AM
I don't think it was meant to be an arguement.

Ashley Schovitz
10-03-2006, 02:16 AM
My problem with PS2's are that they have to be cleaned frequently and they are the most sensitive for example on an episode of X-play Morgan Web does a test to see which game console in current generation is the best built and guess who was the first to break/ pS2, with Xbox in 2nd and Gamecube in 1st. Gamecube got hit by a sledgehammer, hit by a weight and was dropped and it still worked. Sony is getting over us, but at least they have the best games.

Sephex
10-03-2006, 02:20 AM
I don't think it was meant to be an arguement.

Whoops, I see now. Well, I am still going to leave it up there because I have seen people use that argument towards Nintendo's so-called "faulty" hardware.

Mirage
10-03-2006, 02:32 AM
My problem with PS2's are that they have to be cleaned frequently and they are the most sensitive for example on an episode of X-play Morgan Web does a test to see which game console in current generation is the best built and guess who was the first to break/ pS2, with Xbox in 2nd and Gamecube in 1st. Gamecube got hit by a sledgehammer, hit by a weight and was dropped and it still worked. Sony is getting over us, but at least they have the best games.

I saw that one, but I don't think one test is enough to determine which is the most robust console. Depending on how the consoles were hit, you could get very different results. If that test were to be used for proof, you'd need to drop like 20 consoles and then get an average.

Ashley Schovitz
10-03-2006, 02:56 AM

I saw that one, but I don't think one test is enough to determine which is the most robust console. Depending on how the consoles were hit, you could get very different results. If that test were to be used for proof, you'd need to drop like 20 consoles and then get an average.
It's like the same for mine If my PS2 is dropped 3 feet from the ground the disc tray gets stuck and I have to call one of my husband's friends to get it fixed. And with Nintendos I always dropped those when I was little and they still work today only not as well, probably due to age, but I still can play them for hours at a time without them freezing or something else.

Mirage
10-03-2006, 07:09 AM
That's because the old Nintendos with cardtridges don't have any moving parts that are finely tuned inside (read: CD/DVD drive)

Samuraid
10-03-2006, 07:42 AM
Gamecube is still a very robust console. This is due to the components being lighter and better contained.

ValkyrieWing
10-03-2006, 07:55 AM
I bought a PS2 about a year after it came out, and had no problems. However, I do think that as a whole Gamecubes are sturdier and last longer.

We have 55 used Game Cubes at my work. :D

ShunNakamura
10-03-2006, 08:31 AM
As a note my PS1 bought on launch still works to this day. Though it has trouble reading games that have even slight scratches on it(read MILF's post for more detail on that).

However, my SNES the dratted port of the power went out on me(common problem I was told). Talk about annoyance. It was a bit older but also less used the PS1.

All consoles can have thier issues. And quite frankly many of them are predictable. Father did not buy the PS1 thinking it would last that long, he expected it to work for a couple years and then need a new replacement. Basically he expected it to need to be maintained like our SNES. I think we had two where the power thing would break and need replaced.

I just view it as Bad-luck;Good-luck for the most part. How much damage they can take should be a moot point unless you got little kids, and even then I don't see the kid taking a sledgehammer to the system(at least I hope not).

ValkyrieWing
10-03-2006, 08:33 AM
It irritated me that some people think just because their system is new, it can't have significant problems.

ShunNakamura
10-03-2006, 08:38 AM
It irritated me that some people think just because their system is new, it can't have significant problems.

True, new stuff always has a chance of busting up, but that is what warranty is for. Any new item can be screwy. A new Motherboard I got from newegg defected soon after I got it. Even the motherboard company couldn't come up with any idea why it failed. But it was also equally obvious to anyone who looked at the motherboard that it wasn't user fault. Just bad luck on my part(fortunately it really didn't cost me anything).

ValkyrieWing
10-03-2006, 08:41 AM
I mean, for example, I was working today when this guy came in to return a couple games. He said 'they weren't working' and that it was impossible for it to be his XBOX 360, since he had bought it two days previous. I think that's ridiculous. Poeple need to except that sometimes electronics don't work.

Dreddz
10-03-2006, 05:45 PM

I can absolutely guarantee you that turning my PS1 upside down helped it and continues to do so.

It wasn't to do with overheating though, it was because the rails the laser platform was mounted on got worn down due to being plastic, so the laser ended up improperly aligned. Being upside down sets this right... at least until it wears in the other direction. xD

Actually, it was setting the PS1 to the side, not upside down.

Reine
10-04-2006, 10:24 AM
My Gamecube was extremely durable, it fell off the desk several times, and I thought for sure each time that it was utterly naffed, but no, worked like a charm, whereas a slight knock broke a piece of the PS2 and fucked up the disc tray, while it was still closed. My newer PS2 that I got, a silver one, has had no trouble so far, and my brand new slimline, im very very careful with it, as its probably extremely fragile

Vaincast
10-04-2006, 06:57 PM
My Gamecube was extremely durable, it fell off the desk several times, and I thought for sure each time that it was utterly naffed, but no, worked like a charm, whereas a slight knock broke a piece of the PS2 and smurfed up the disc tray, while it was still closed. My newer PS2 that I got, a silver one, has had no trouble so far, and my brand new slimline, im very very careful with it, as its probably extremely fragile

Theres a silver PS2? Hmm, thought there was only black. Is it still 300 dollars?

its pretty amazing that the PS3 is coming out on my b'day but not gonna buy I don't have that kind of money, thought my parents would buy it *insert Dr.Evil laugh here*though I doubt it...

My_car_is_faster_than_you
10-04-2006, 08:04 PM
Anything over $150 for a gaming system is nuts to me. I can't ever justify spending that kind of money on something that really has no logical use, even though I seem to do it all the time.

fantasyjunkie
10-05-2006, 06:51 AM
My Gamecube was extremely durable, it fell off the desk several times, and I thought for sure each time that it was utterly naffed, but no, worked like a charm, whereas a slight knock broke a piece of the PS2 and smurfed up the disc tray, while it was still closed. My newer PS2 that I got, a silver one, has had no trouble so far, and my brand new slimline, im very very careful with it, as its probably extremely fragile

Ours fell too and still worked!