PDA

View Full Version : The Greatness of This Game

Siegfried
10-01-2006, 11:15 PM
There are so many things that make this game great but one always gets overlooked (at least the way I see it)
This is...its a multiplayer RPG FF
I would have hours of fun with friends and always trick them with the "Pick Umaro as one of your two characters, he is super powerful"
There are many other things about this game that are great and I would like to know what makes this game great to you other loyoal fans of the game

Prancing Mad
10-01-2006, 11:25 PM
love ff6, it's awesome. I like that the bad guy actually succeeds in destroying the world

Roto13
10-01-2006, 11:36 PM
Atmosphere. Definitely.

Jimmy Dark Aeons Slayer
10-01-2006, 11:44 PM
The clown guy made a great bad guy!

Plus it had a great variety of characters and you didnīt have to be forced to walk with the heros all the time.:D

Roto13
10-02-2006, 12:00 AM

Learn his damn name. >_>

LoKuS
10-02-2006, 12:15 AM
I love this game.

BustaMo
10-02-2006, 12:18 AM

Plus it had a great variety of characters and you didnīt have to be forced to walk with the heros all the time.:D

Kefka? HAHA. But for real, he def made the game interesting and fun to hate the main villain.

My favorite has to be the diversity fo the characters along with the plot. I loved learning about each character's history, particularly Shadow's and the Rachel and Locke relationship. Knowing the backgrounds of the main party and what they have gone through before they all met up and joined to face teh evil overtaknig the world, has got to be one of my favorite parts. If I end the game and a doubt or question about a person's past is rambling through my mind, I won't stop until I figure it out.

Jimmy Dark Aeons Slayer
10-02-2006, 12:35 AM

Learn his damn name. >_>

Please forgive me...:(

Xurts
10-02-2006, 01:17 AM
Definately the characters and storyline. It has such an awesome variety of characters. It's great to use whichever characters you want and not to be forced to use one the entire time. It's that, and I guess pretty much every other aspect of it comes together perfectly and makes the game really fantastic.

Flying Mullet
10-02-2006, 01:29 PM
The Greatness of This Game...
is too awesome to be able to put into words that mortals can understand.

bipper
10-02-2006, 03:24 PM

It GOES! I understand that!

Flying Mullet
10-02-2006, 03:29 PM
And GOES is barely comprehensible to mortals.

theundeadhero
10-02-2006, 04:08 PM
Celes' attempted suicide is one of my top favorite moments in any FF game.

bipper
10-02-2006, 05:30 PM
It is, but getting that scene means you must kill a dear friend :(

buddypearl
10-04-2006, 12:25 AM
I think this is one of the best games ever made. I love having so many different characters with different abilitys. It makes it fun to do 3 party fights and dungens. Also the ease of character building with Dino forest for experince points and cactrot for magic make it fun to build your characters and exploit the potential. I realy enjoyed battles. Oh, and the relics were awsome! Never was I so exicted to get equipment! I loved the story, or more the stories of the characters that together made the game such an experience. It was more than just a save the world thing, it was friendship and betrayal, love between brothers and the very things which make life worth living here. The stuff that Kefka wanted to destroy but never could.

The choise a senerio "Kupo" was awsome! I loved getting all your characters back again in the new world.

The humor, the music, the depth were all wonderfully done.

And lastly,
the ending was speail for me. I have yet to beat X so I can't say it was the best just yet but seeing "you" at the end of the game made you feel a speail part of the game. It made me have a tingly feeling. The fact that they'er is no real main character is great. Almost not a role playing more of an unfolding, and then you are hounred at the end. Wow.

vorpal blade
10-04-2006, 09:22 AM
I need to restart this game. Again. I'm up to the last dungeon, but i'm a bit afraid to enter. So i didn't play it for a while and forgot the story (plus, I failed to get Shadow in the second world) so I restarted the game. Then, for some reason, possibly Dragon Quest VIII, I haven't played that file in a while. So I think I will re-restart this game again, because it is indeed an awesome game in just about every respect.

NeoCracker
10-04-2006, 09:35 AM

Actually there is a set of words that accurately describe it.

FF VI is Pimp.

Avarice-ness
10-04-2006, 06:58 PM
love ff6, it's awesome. I like that the bad guy actually succeeds in destroying the world

Everyday I die alittle more because of this. :cry:

HIS NAME IS KEFKA

Pharoh Amon Khan III
10-04-2006, 07:36 PM
Kefka? HAHA. But for real, he def made the game interesting and fun to hate the main villain.

My favorite has to be the diversity fo the characters along with the plot. I loved learning about each character's history, particularly Shadow's and the Rachel and Locke relationship. Knowing the backgrounds of the main party and what they have gone through before they all met up and joined to face teh evil overtaknig the world, has got to be one of my favorite parts. If I end the game and a doubt or question about a person's past is rambling through my mind, I won't stop until I figure it out.

See? THIS I CAN TOTALLY AGREE WITH! But I also LOVE/HATE, well I just LOVED to HATE Kefka! You could tell you were just gonna love to hate this guy when he first showed up in Figaro! And all the characters having solid backgrounds.. Man... For me this was THE BEST FF Story ever... It was like one of those stories that you didn't want to end. The "Book" at the end was perfect symbolism for this.

"Hey Pharoh..."
:)
"What?!":irked:

:confused: "Sah-ha-ha-ree. :tongue: How come you haven't finished that book on the shelf?:p

"I don't want to. The story must not ever end!":mad: NEVER!!!

"After 13 years, you still intentionally will not finish it?":sweatdrop

"NEH-VAAAA!!!!!!!!":nonono:

"Aw, c'mon... Tell ya what, why don't I just read it to you... :laugh:

"Do it and die!" :fencing:

bipper
10-04-2006, 07:55 PM

HIS NAME IS KOCKE

My_car_is_faster_than_you
10-04-2006, 08:22 PM
A few things I liked about FF VI are those that most don't look at.

For instance, I liked that there was an age difference between all the characters. Of course you have your 18 year olds like Terra and Celes, but then you get Edgar and Sabin (27), Locke (25), Cyan (50), and the little ones like Relm and Mog. It made it seem more real to me than the other final fantasies that use strictly 18 to 22 year olds as the memorable characters. (i.e. FF 8, 10 and maybe 7).

Then, I love the story and the little "funnies" that VI had. Gau farting while the group was grooming him was (I think) the funniest moment in that game.

And then, the villian. Every good game has to have an awesome bad guy, and Mr. Kefka Palazzo was definitely choice. I actually thought Kefka was the best representation of a comically insane evil person I've seen period.

Reine
10-05-2006, 12:56 PM
Do not slander Kefka in Avarice's presence. Her wrath is not a nice thing to see :(

It was the first 2-D FF game I played, and at first I found it really cheesy and funny, being used to the dark 3-D ones, but it quickly became my second favourite FF game. Now my third, due to FFIII, but FFVI Advance will surely bump it back to number 2

Necronopticous
10-05-2006, 04:39 PM
I get jealous when I hear about people having fun with the multiplayer options for Final Fantasy VI, I could never, ever convince one of my friends to actually sit there and fight battles with me, let alone have them actually enjoy it.

Jowy
10-05-2006, 04:46 PM
I thought it was boring. I used to play with my neighbor and he always got to be Sabin, and never wanted to use Relm. I wanted to be Sabin. :(

Kefka_Almighty
10-06-2006, 05:47 AM

HIS NAME IS KEFKA

Amen. It's not that hard a name to say.

As for me.....pretty much all that can be said about what makes FF VI great, if not the best game in the entire series, has already been sad. If you haven't played it already, I DEMAND you play it (though this is probably unnecessary, since you've probably played it since your in it's section of the FF Forums). But I guarentee this when you play it: you'll laugh, you'll cry, you'll fall in love with.........Final Fantasy VI.

(And Kefka totally kicks the crap out of Sephiroth. I like Sephiroth, but just saying. There are few villains who can really match up to Kefka, let alone the fact that there are few characters in any RPG who can match up to the personalities of the party members in this game. And this little P.S. thing is going way longer than I intended.

vorpal blade
10-06-2006, 09:15 AM
Like I said earlier, I need to re-replay this game. And, in fact, I am (in Mt. Kolts right now) and it is a great game to behold. The opening credits where Biggs, Wedge, and Terra are riding in the magitek Armor across the snowy fields to Narshe, which gets closer and closer while a version of Terra's theme plays is something I love as much as the opening of FFVII (which itself is pretty awesome). One reason I'm re-replaying this game is, as mentioned earlier, to get to know the characters better again. Seriously, the characters are awesome. Especially Kefka. As cool as Sephiroth is, Kefka is indeed awesome, insane, a clown (makes sense; clowns are evil) and... um... the best word to describe him his Kefka. Why are there no more Kefkaesque characters anymore? Nowdays, the villains usually just have a different point of view or want to control the world. But they're not insane clowns. Kefka is awesome.

Bolivar
10-06-2006, 05:29 PM
I like how the concept of Final Fantasy as a whole is basically in its perfected form here. Rather than choosing characters, you get a whole roster that basically encompasses the entire Job system, and their own personality and backstory comes along with it.

I like the music. I guess you could call it a diamond in the rough, in the fact that he only used MIDIs, and was still able to draw emotions from the player on such a dramatic scale. My brother's a musician and told me it was pretty impressive so I guess that accounts for somethin.

I think the main reason for VI's greatness is an intangible aspect that everything brought together, when people came over my house while I was playing it this summer, they would just kind of watch mesmerized. It was a really good game.

I like how it holds up to the PSX FF's, as there was a long story that could be divided into discs if they were to make it for PS. Plus, there's a load of sidequests, and alot of things to do before the Final Dungeon, just like in those games.

The battle system is real crazy too. Again, it symbolizes FF perfectly as you have two hands, where you can use a weapon, a shield, a helmet, armor, and two accessories. With the accessories alone comes alot of customization, perhaps the most in the game.

I also like how this game is rediculously overhyped because its fans were too young at the time to understand what a good story/villain/Final Fantasy really is.:choc:

Kefka_Almighty
10-08-2006, 07:06 AM
Actually, Bolivar, I was about fourteen-fifteen when I played FF VI for the first time, and it wasn't the first I had played. In fact, the first I HAD played was FF VII. Both are great games, but in all honesty, I find FF VII to be more overhyped in every aspect then VI ever was.

boys from the dwarf
10-08-2006, 08:28 AM
i've never actually completed it because the disk broke. i got up to kefkas tower though with most of the characters. anyway. i got a copy off ebay and it arrived yesterday and im enjoying every second of it. its one of the best FFs for reasons stated above. very few bad points and the music and graphics are great!

and some of the characters are really good and its a funny game. "mr.thou!" and when your steal the merchants clothes "call me a treasure hunter or i'll rip your lungs out!" and "im gonna pound your face!" i always find that funny for some reason. and kefkas hilarious. "ahem. theres sand in my boots!"

its in my top 4 FFs. FF6,7,8 and 9. 9s my favourite and i like FF8 more than FF7 so its either my 3rd or 4th favourite. maybe 2nd favourite? i dont know. but its such a good game.

Bolivar
10-08-2006, 09:55 PM
Actually, Bolivar, I was about fourteen-fifteen when I played FF VI for the first time, and it wasn't the first I had played. In fact, the first I HAD played was FF VII. Both are great games, but in all honesty, I find FF VII to be more overhyped in every aspect then VI ever was.

no offense man, i was just seein what the response would be.

But I don't agree with what you're saying. Who overhypes VII today? Whereas on these forums you'll find loads of fans who claim VI's story was so deep...when it really isn't at all...

feioncastor
10-09-2006, 02:34 AM

Best. Villian. Ever.

Kefka_Almighty
10-09-2006, 03:45 AM
no offense man, i was just seein what the response would be.

But I don't agree with what you're saying. Who overhypes VII today? Whereas on these forums you'll find loads of fans who claim VI's story was so deep...when it really isn't at all...

No offense taken. You were merely stating your opinion.

And there are plenty of people who still overhype FF VII, claiming it to have the best villain/story/characters and to be the best game in the series. Don't get me wrong, it's the same for every game, and I include those who overhype VI. What I'm saying is that FF VII tends to attract more people who easily get tied in to stating it to be the best FF without having played any of the previous/later games. Again, there are plenty of those who do that in the FF VI fan camp (and before them, and beyond), but FF VII tends to have the greater number of people overhyping it.

Of course, whether or not something is overhyped depends on personal taste, i.e. you stating FF VI is overhyped and my statement that FF VII is overhyped. It really just depends on your own personal opinion on games.

(And even if the game wasn't deep, I still think Kefka would mop the floor with Sephiroth. :chuckle:

feioncastor
10-09-2006, 12:13 PM
Okay, my opinions on this game.

The best of the numbered series. I say that only because I happen to like Final Fantasy Tactics just a bit more.

The thing about FF6 is that it really seemed inhibited by the Super Nintendo's limitations. It seemed to do almost everything that the Super Nintendo could do. As I've heard, they were actually working on a FF6 remake for N64 at one point, but it never got past any preliminary stages. And that's a shame.

I remember when I was playing FF6 the first time, I stayed up all night playing it, as many did. I got to the sequence at the Opera House where you had to memorize a few lines from a song and recall them while on stage. Shortly after that part, I fell asleep with the controller in my hands. I awoke hours later, and I wasn't sure if that whole Opera House thing was a dream or not. It was so unexpected to do something like that in a game!

Furthermore, FF6 has SO MUCH side quest stuff to do. My first time through, I didn't get Mog or Umaro. I didn't "wait for Shadow", and there were a few other characters I didn't get, I think. I did get Gogo, however, by accident. The Zone Eater engulfed all of us, and I thought I got a game over, but instead, I was in the cave! That kind of thing is just so cool.

Also, the diversity of your character base was excellent. No one will deny that Sabin's Bum Rush is ridiculous. While Cyan's Swordtech's aren't as useful or practical, they still look cool and match his personality. Celes' Runic has saved my life more than once. And there's nothing quite like spending weeks trying to get all of Gau's Rages. I've gotten close. Only missing about 10.

Finally, the Esper system. I think this is the best Magic System used in any FF game. I liked Materia just fine, but I liked the permancy of Espers. You had to master all of them, which took a lot of time. And certain ones had level up bonuses, so you had to keep stuff like that in mind when leveling up.

Oh, and Ultros. Seriously. No other game has Ultros. I wonder why he was never brought back at all?

All in all, there is little to be improved upon in FF6. It's a captivating story, with Nobuo Uematsu's finest work on the music. The graphics are sufficient. I mean, they're as good as the SNES was gonna get, I suppose. But they served their purpose well. Last but not least, the gameplay was outstanding. The way you interfaced with the actual game. The way you fought and navigated the game, in general, was quite hooking.

Heh, I gotta go play FF6 now. :)

bipper
10-09-2006, 04:35 PM
As I've heard, they were actually working on a FF6 remake for N64 at one point

The 3D final fantasy VI demos that you might see are actually a playable game made as a testing device as square hit 2d, http://lostlevels.org/200510/

Avarice-ness
10-09-2006, 07:14 PM

HIS NAME IS KOCKEKEFKA
I thought it was Kefka Kocke. :razz:

MJN SEIFER
10-09-2006, 07:16 PM

At least temorerrilly.

Siegfried
10-10-2006, 01:43 AM
My brother introduced me to FF with this game...
that was about 10 years ago(something like that)
Now im picking up a copy and...beating it with him!!!
We had a draft and i think i made out well...I got:
Sabin, Edgar, Mog, Setzer, Locke, and Relm

anyone think i did bad in the draft?

feioncastor
10-10-2006, 01:55 AM

At least temorerrilly.

I'll assume you meant "temporarily". And he does a pretty permanent job. I mean, that item shop in Mobliz is just never accessable again. Oh, and Vector, yeah, you can't go there either. And the world has, like, 12 continents, instead of 2 or 3.

Even so, he does lose out in the end. He dissolves away into nothingness, feather and all.

Crossblades
10-10-2006, 02:03 PM
FF VI is indeed awesome. Great characters, awesome story, and outstanding atmosphere. It's my number 1 favorite:)

bipper
10-10-2006, 02:45 PM

HIS NAME IS KOCKEKEFKA
I thought it was Kefka Kocke. :razz:

My bad. Where was my brain just then. :exdee:

Flying Mullet
10-10-2006, 02:55 PM
bipper GOES is an understatement on that one.

Roto13
10-10-2006, 04:54 PM

The 3D final fantasy VI demos that you might see are actually a playable game made as a testing device as square hit 2d, http://lostlevels.org/200510/

I head they were making a remake of Final Fantasy VII for PS3.

Oh, wait, that was a tech demo.

Oh, wait, so was this.

Oh, wait.

Flying Mullet
10-10-2006, 04:59 PM
Wait...for what?

bipper
10-10-2006, 05:19 PM
Wait for eight with a plate named kate as bait and fate will grant hate or a date with your new freight mate.

Flying Mullet
10-10-2006, 05:30 PM
Thanks for clearing that up! :thumb:

theundeadhero
10-10-2006, 05:54 PM
My plate's name's are George and Fred. I've never owned a Kate, much less a girl plate :(

MJN SEIFER
10-10-2006, 06:51 PM

At least temorerrilly.

I'll assume you meant "temporarily". And he does a pretty permanent job. I mean, that item shop in Mobliz is just never accessable again. Oh, and Vector, yeah, you can't go there either. And the world has, like, 12 continents, instead of 2 or 3.

Even so, he does lose out in the end. He dissolves away into nothingness, feather and all.

Yes I did mean "temporarily" (Damn my dyslexia...) And it's permanent til the End of the game.

Siegfried
10-11-2006, 03:01 AM
can i get a response to my second question...maybe i can make some trades...

Siegfried
10-11-2006, 03:06 AM

Oh, wait, so was this.

Oh, wait.

This reminds me of that 8-bit...cant remember wchich one though ><
Time to read them all over again!!! (what a wasted summer vacation)

silentenigma
10-12-2006, 02:48 AM
Goldilocks was very tired by this time feeling like a gamer, so she went to the bedroom videogames. She lay down in the first bed tried Final Fantasy V, but it was too hard didn't have enough character development. Then she lay in the second bed tried Final Fantasy VII, but it was too soft was too riddled with plot twists. Then she lay down in the third bed played Final Fantasy VI and it was just right. Goldilocks fell asleeps had fun.

The most well balanced game I have ever played.

Siegfried
10-12-2006, 06:17 AM

Oh, wait, so was this.

Oh, wait.

This reminds me of that 8-bit...cant remember wchich one though ><
Time to read them all over again!!! (what a wasted summer vacation)

Mwahahahaha...found it!
http://www.nuklearpower.com/daily.php?date=060105

blackmage_nuke
10-12-2006, 08:53 AM
If I had mad the english language i would have made it so that you cant spell best game ever without final fantasy VI

Theda
10-13-2006, 10:20 PM
Final Fantasy VI Advance + Game Boy Player + Gamecube = Best Game ever

Elpizo
10-14-2006, 08:27 PM
VI was indeed an epic game... For a small while it was my favorite Final Fantasy, until V came along...

This game had so many great things, great music and graphics, good cast of characters and all the stuff.

There were some downsides on it, however. Like it wasn't really a challenge to play. Kefka can be downed in like 3 turns with Terra X-Magic + That relic that halves MP cost + Ultima + Celes who casts Ultima. I mean, X-Death and Neo-X-Death were to battles after each other, and both were hard. Why couldn't they make Kefka hard as well? A bit disappointing that the guy that had fun blowing up the world goes down in 5 minutes. :p

Now, I personally, I prefer X-Death above Kefka. Kefka did a wonderful job being evil and all, but X-Death battled and killed a legend of a character and that alone makes me choose for him above Kefka. And X-Death's battle theme owns, anyway.

Now, having finished FF V advance, I'm even more convinced that V is in my humble little opinon better than VI, but when FF VI Advance comes out, I'm pretty sure I'll have hours and hours of pure gaming fun again. Welcome back, FF VI, I would say. :)

And if SE puts as much effort in FF VI Advance as in FF V advance, I can say you VI lovers will get some hours of pure awesomeness, believe me! ;)

Odin2006
11-05-2006, 04:50 AM
FF6 was the first RPG I ever owned (I was 9), way back in 1995 during the Golden Age of console video games. I had played FF1 and FF4 at a friend's house, which got me hooked on RPGs, but FF6 blew me away. Call me biased, but I think it deserves to be called the greatest RPG of all time.

The graphics were amazing for the 16-bit era, the storyline is incredibly deep and well done. The main villian wasn't a cheesy "I am evil for no particular reason" character like in most fantasy games, but is very human, a soldier who was turned into an insane, nihilistic egomaniac as a result of becomeing a magitech knight. The plot also hits upon 2 very important themes, hope and the meaning of life (think of the "self-help booklet" scene just before the final battle when Kefka spews a nihilistic rant about "why do you live when you know all must die" and the characters' response to it).

Wolf Kanno
11-05-2006, 07:14 AM
FFVI is still my favorite in the series, I still feel it has overall the best cast of characters and story. It is still the only FF game where a party member is so overcome by despair she tries to commit suicide, the only game where almost every member of the cast gives up the battle against the villians, and the only game to allow you to sing your little heart out;)

Kefka may not be overall as evil as X-Death, nor does he have the prevalent "cool" factor of Sephiroth but what he does have is personality. Not many people can say that a villain both made you love him and then hate him. Besides, his list of crimes against your party and humanity is far greater than Sephiroth (though X-Death still wins the award for being the most overall bastard towards you) but Kefka created such a following and didn't have to resort to killing a party member to do it.

I'll still take Tina over Aerith, my Espers over Guardian Forces and Aeons, and Kefka over any "badasses" and "True Evil". It was the right game at the right time in my life and it still inspires and moves me to this day.

Odin2006
11-05-2006, 08:36 AM
Celes's attempted suicide must be one of the most gut-wrenching scenes of any RPG.

Wolf Kanno
11-05-2006, 08:26 PM
I truly feel that FFVI, fully embodied the theme of "Hope"

Sylvie
11-25-2006, 08:02 AM
If I had mad the english language i would have made it so that you cant spell best game ever without final fantasy VI
But first you need to learn it.

blackmage_nuke
11-26-2006, 04:00 AM
But first you need to learn it.Thinking of the game's awesomeness caused me to have hand spasms while typing

Crossblades
11-30-2006, 05:28 PM
Final Fantasy I, II, IV, V, and VI Advance + Game Boy Player + Gamecube = Best Games ever

I totally agree. I love playing GBA games on my GB player:)

Btw I fixed it:p