PDA

View Full Version : Would "Lightning" reallu her name...I think so

damaged_core
10-02-2006, 10:21 AM
I think that Lightning may be her name, you see in Final Fantasy VII the main character is called Cloud and Final Fantasy VIII's character's name is Squall (meaning a short amount of rain) So I think there is a pattern here....So maybe Square could be using this in their new project.

I don't know, maybe I'm wrong..what do you think? :magus:

~SapphireStar~
10-02-2006, 11:00 AM
You think it may be her name? It is her name.

LunarWeaver
10-02-2006, 05:00 PM
It most likely is... It certainly would fit. Cloud, Squall, Tidus (or Tida at least), Sora... all names related to the sky or weather. Fits like a glove!

Prancing Mad
10-02-2006, 10:21 PM
It could be SHOCK, or Chinook or maybe Advection or Adiabata. Let's just hope it's not Albedo, or a certain company will be quite upset

RiseToFall
10-04-2006, 08:36 PM
It needs to be changed.

BustaMo
10-06-2006, 03:09 PM
I'm not to fond of the Lightning name, but it does follow pattern as LunarWeaver pointed out. I was hoping at first that it was only a spell name, but screenshots of her in action have already somehwat disproved that as other elemental attacks have been showing up on screen while Lighting still remains.

I was hoping for a more creative name though... *Le sigh*

aerithsloveslave
10-06-2006, 04:46 PM
Until it is confirmed, I would take that name with a grain of salt. It wasn't even a real video of the game as it had a lot of prerendered garbage in it. Besides, when was the last time Square released a video of a brand-new FF that had English menus in it?

Desert Merchant
10-06-2006, 05:49 PM
It might be a name like Lightning but made to look more like a name like Lighte or Letne something like that, who knows its Final Fantasy?

kadaj16
10-12-2006, 03:40 AM
it is her name

RiseToFall
10-12-2006, 04:36 AM
it is her name

Is that fact or opinion?

Zeromus_X
10-12-2006, 06:09 AM
Well, that's what it said next to the little bar, right? :cat: :confused:

Anyway, I guess it's a nice name, even though Lightning isn't the main character. But it's nice to have another 'weather-hero'.

RiseToFall
10-12-2006, 06:47 AM
Well, that's what it said next to the little bar, right?

Yeah, but it hasn't been 100% confirmed by Square. I remember back when FF X was announced, a magazine (forgot got wich one) said that the main characters name would be Tide. So I honestly think it will be something like lightning, but with a little spin to it.

Mercen-X
10-13-2006, 12:09 AM
Or maybe it's the name of an attack trigger, like OVERDRIVE, which could never be mistaken for a character name . . . unless they were a transformer

Coronet
10-16-2006, 05:54 PM
All names are subjective at this point, I think. Honestly, I wouldn't believe any name releases at this point. I don't think Square would release the name of their main character this early on.

And Lightning does sound kind of lame. :\

Yar
10-20-2006, 03:20 AM
Who uses a gerund as a name?

It most likely is... It certainly would fit. Cloud, Squall, Tidus (or Tida at least), Sora... all names related to the sky or weather. Fits like a glove!

Terra was the opposite side of the spectrum, but Celes was a sky name also.

Dragon Mage
10-21-2006, 01:50 AM
okay, what does Celes, Tidus, or Sora have to do with the sky? I've never heard these words used in conjuntion with weather/sky before.

Moon Rabbits
10-21-2006, 04:05 AM
okay, what does Celes, Tidus, or Sora have to do with the sky? I've never heard these words used in conjuntion with weather/sky before.

Celes, I don't know. However, Tidus is a spin on the word "tide", which relates to nature/weather. Sora means sky in Japanese, I think.

LunarWeaver
10-21-2006, 04:52 AM

Tiida is the Okinawan word for "sun" and that's where his name comes from. Yuna mean's "night" in that language or some such. Like Kelster said, Sora is japanese for sky. I dunno about the Celes business, you'll have to ask Scarmiglione for that.

I was hoping for the name "Stratocumulus" this time, but another crushed hope goes on the list.

rubah
10-21-2006, 06:39 AM
Celes is similar to celestial, which referring to the heavens, is usually considered skyy. But she's not the main character, so instead we have Terra, who is mother earth :]

Vaincast
10-22-2006, 05:02 PM
it is her name

Jessweeee♪
10-22-2006, 09:46 PM
One of the articles posted in EoFF somewhere said they have confirmed it :P
but what do I know?

Vaincast
10-23-2006, 01:35 AM
I think a long time ago when I was here, I showed a person a screenshots of the trailer for XIII and there was a HP bar and next to it in bold yellow print "Lightning" it was near the bottom. Then the other person said that probably that its the attack that she was gonna use and then I showed her "Fire". So we'll just wait until Square Enix tells her name

No.78
10-23-2006, 07:36 PM
I have a theory, what if it's a codename or something? I mean, it does look like she's on some kind of mission, maybe she just uses Lightning then later on it'll be like "My real name is [REALNAME]" or you type it in or something :P

I mean, Lightning just seems too... Somethingy.

Vaincast
10-23-2006, 09:40 PM
That was a good use of word:rolleyes2

Well in every Final Fantasy video game you get to name your character so it doesn't really matter if Lightning is her real name. Name her Jin you want or Vincci doesn't matter its her name, what I care about the most is the other characters and the battle system

Dragon Mage
10-25-2006, 04:27 AM
O.K. thanks, I was really confuse about those names.

Lengthy, perhaps?

No.78
10-26-2006, 09:58 AM
Unimaginative! That;s the word...

Vaincast
10-27-2006, 01:33 AM
O.K. thanks, I was really confuse about those names.

Yeah I know I jsut had to make up weird names that I use sometimes...>.> you didn't hear that

Dynast-Kid
10-27-2006, 03:06 AM
All names are subjective at this point, I think. Honestly, I wouldn't believe any name releases at this point. I don't think Square would release the name of their main character this early on.

And Lightning does sound kind of lame. :\

She's not the main character.

Weimar Pluto Knight VII
10-27-2006, 08:38 PM
Yes, apparently she is the main character of FFXIII. FF versus XIII has the blue haired guy that's on the banner this week.

Maybe it is Lightning, after Cloud in FFVII. Strangely enough, why does Cloud sound cooler than Lightning? Probably b/c I'm used to it and use the word Cloud enough to refer to the guy from FFVII than the puffy thing in the sky. Hopefully Lightning will work in English, though. Somehow they got away with in FFVII, like I think Cloud's name is cool, but hopefully Lightning will work.

RiseToFall
10-27-2006, 11:00 PM
Can we all just wait until Square gives a statement about this matter.

Ashley Schovitz
10-27-2006, 11:06 PM
I think that Lightning may be her name, you see in Final Fantasy VII the main character is called Cloud and Final Fantasy VIII's character's name is Squall (meaning a short amount of rain)

Squall means having to do with wind and gusts and what about Tidus and Zidane which seem to be ignored neither of those names have to do with weather all that I can say is that it's a possibility.

Ouch!
10-28-2006, 04:29 AM
Yes, apparently she is the main character of FFXIII.
I could have sworn SE said that she's not the main character.

Dynast-Kid
10-28-2006, 06:14 AM
Yes, apparently she is the main character of FFXIII.
I could have sworn SE said that she's not the main character.

They did!

Just because she's in the trailer doesn't mean she's the main character...

We saw Roxas in the KHII trailer/secret ending, and did he turn out to be the main character?

No.

Please people, "Lightning" (God I hate her {supposed} name!) isn't the main character.

Ashley Schovitz
10-29-2006, 07:13 PM
Her real name is Natch, this link says so http://www.gamespot.com/e3/e3story.html?sid=6149412&pid=928790 So we can quit this conversation then?

sir helix
10-29-2006, 07:46 PM
It could be SHOCK, or Chinook or maybe Advection or Adiabata. Let's just hope it's not Albedo, or a certain company will be quite upset
i agree namco would be pissed

Weimar Pluto Knight VII
10-29-2006, 08:18 PM
I looked for the word Natch, and only found it w/o caps, which made me be like "wth". Plus it said something like "the KH team will do it" so it's very confusing but they may be refering to one of the other FFXIII games.

Dynast-Kid
10-31-2006, 12:24 AM
Her real name is Natch, this link says so http://www.gamespot.com/e3/e3story.html?sid=6149412&pid=928790 So we can quit this conversation then?

They were referring that there are many spiky/pointy haired characters in the Final Fantasy universe. If it were her name, i'm sure it would've been at least capitalized and emphasized more.

atlanteay
10-31-2006, 01:20 PM
i think they were talking about the FF13 Versus character being Natch and not the girl.

Wild Card
11-01-2006, 01:07 AM
And who said that Lightning is the main char...
Maybe This guy is! : http://www.ff-xiii.net/images/scans/b6.jpg
O.o
And Lightning is a lame name xP

Wild Card
11-01-2006, 01:13 AM
Oh, btw...http://www.ff-xiii.net/images/screens/66FFXIII_TGS5.jpg Lightning (i theorise) is her limit... or v-strike, i guess...

atlanteay
11-01-2006, 02:55 AM
And who said that Lightning is the main char...
Maybe This guy is! : http://www.ff-xiii.net/images/scans/b6.jpg
O.o
And Lightning is a lame name xP

that guy is from FF13 Versus btw

Craig
11-01-2006, 01:25 PM
Lightning? Sounds like the name of a Race Horse.

LunarWeaver
11-01-2006, 06:25 PM
If I can like the name Squall, I think Lightning would be an easy adaption for me.

RiseToFall
11-03-2006, 09:45 AM
BREAKING NEWS: Her name will be Precipitation, I know isn't it awesome?

Larahl
11-03-2006, 03:25 PM
C'mon it can't be. Lightning, it's too normal to be a Final Fantasy name.

Wild Card
11-03-2006, 10:28 PM
as i said... it MIGHT be her limit... er, v-strike >_<

Dragon Mage
11-04-2006, 08:05 PM
C'mon it can't be. Lightning, it's too normal to be a Final Fantasy name.

Well, it's not like the name 'Cloud' was the result of some burst of inspiration.

Besides, I believe RisetoFall was making a joke.

Keyblade Hybrid
11-05-2006, 05:56 AM
BREAKING NEWS: Her name will be Precipitation, I know isn't it awesome?

Ahh but of course...it makes so much more drama with a name like that.

Mirage
11-05-2006, 06:19 AM

Yes, ofcourse, because that company clearly invented the word Albedo, and has all rights to deny anyone else to use it.

nik0tine
11-05-2006, 08:42 AM
If anyones name is anything even remotely close to lightning I'm slitting my wrists.

Mirage
11-05-2006, 11:47 AM
Don't slit too deep then. Don't want to lose you.

Keyblade Hybrid
11-05-2006, 11:49 AM
If anyones name is anything even remotely close to lightning I'm slitting my wrists.

Can I join you? I don't like the name either...

No.78
11-06-2006, 06:34 PM
Slit your legs, be unique

sir helix
11-06-2006, 09:22 PM

you emos

Cloudane
11-08-2006, 04:08 PM
Lightning is an utterly stupid name. Still, I remember thinking similar about Cloud...

I find it more feasible that it's the attack she was using though. Makes a change from Thunder, although I'm not sure that Lightninaga has quite the same ring to it.

Nasarian Altimeros
11-08-2006, 04:31 PM
Obviously, we need Ted Woolsey back to come up with a name that doesn't sound absolutely retarded for the English Localization.

Mirage
11-08-2006, 05:42 PM

you emos

Yeah, I think that was kinda what the whole joke was based on.

TidusMaster
11-11-2006, 03:51 AM
Oh, btw...http://www.ff-xiii.net/images/screens/66FFXIII_TGS5.jpg Lightning (i theorise) is her limit... or v-strike, i guess...
ok...really...look at the HP gauge!?! it says friggin lightining! you can see that its a cinematical battle system, and ya! you can see that shes not using lightning!

TidusMaster
11-11-2006, 04:27 PM
i think i made my point,my work here is done!

pantsofpower
11-12-2006, 08:02 AM
I have a theory, what if it's a codename or something?

My thoughts EXACTLY. :eek:
I suppose it COULD be a limit or something, too... looks kinda like it's right where her name would go, though. While watching the trailer I also found myself thinking that the word Lightning is a pretty good description of her fighting style. ;) That probably doesn't really mean anything, though.

RiseToFall
11-12-2006, 11:21 AM
Why the hell is it glowing like that?

pantsofpower
11-13-2006, 04:48 PM
I was kinda wondering that myself...

Anywho, Lightning will do for now, but I don't expect Square to keep/use that name. If Lightning really does end up being her name, I will be surprised. I can live with it, but I find it unlikely. And now that I've said that, her name will end up actually being Lightning and I will be forced to consume my utterances.

EDIT: WHOA. Hold on a sec. Who says that's the HP meter? It says HP near it, sure, but it also says "ATB Cost." Could just as easily be the ATB gauge. Or, since both "HP" and "ATB" have numerical values displayed right next to them, it could really be three gauges: the HP gauge, ATB gauge, and Lightning gauge.

sir helix
11-25-2006, 02:00 AM
hey maby lighning is like the new finishing move or smthing

Wild Card
01-10-2007, 05:44 PM
YAY!!! i wasnt totaly wrong... though i might be completley off with the limit... we must investigate! :holmes: ...or not... y'know...
<<
>>
*flee*

choco_rider
01-19-2007, 07:03 AM
o man...i really, REALLY hope it's not lightning. just would kill the sense of excitement i'm building up for FFXIII

Elpizo
01-19-2007, 03:03 PM
As far as I know, Lightning is her codename. But it's not her real name. We "have to look forward" to the story surrounding her real name and stuff. I'm smelling another main-character-with-troubled-past-thing.

If you wondered where I got this, it's from an interview with Toriyama. Lemme see... Ah, here it is, just scroll down a bit to the part where they ask about 'Lightning':
http://www.ff-xiii.net/boards/showthread.php?t=2817

silentenigma
01-26-2007, 01:12 AM
It needs to be changed.

kalaspappa
02-02-2007, 12:12 PM
If that is in fact her real name, I hope they change it to "Snow".

Dynast-Kid
02-02-2007, 02:20 PM
Hasn't it already been confirmed that her name (at least her codename) is Lightning?

Also, it looks like in FFXIII characters can finally break the 9999 HP limit! w00t!

Northcrest
02-05-2007, 12:24 AM
From from what I've heard and seen her real name is Lighting.

sexymonkey
02-05-2007, 10:01 AM
her real name is NOT lightning

Mirage
02-05-2007, 12:03 PM
That's cool, sexymonkey. According to who?

And what's the big deal about being able to break the damage limit anyway? The game won't get any easier or harder because of that, it's just "pretty numbers".

Elpizo
02-05-2007, 03:03 PM
That's cool, sexymonkey. According to who?

And what's the big deal about being able to break the damage limit anyway? The game won't get any easier or harder because of that, it's just "pretty numbers".
According to Toriyama.

http://www.ff-xiii.net/boards/showthread.php?t=2817

First post, bottom of the second quote, here:

Aizawa: Let's settle this once and for all. Is "Lightning" her name?
Toriyama: It is not her name. She refers to herself as "Lightning", and is called by that by others. We don't want to reveal her real name because you will find that out in the game. So please look forward to that.

Mirage
02-05-2007, 03:22 PM
I read that already. I just find it funny when people just say random stuff without telling anyone where they heard it. :p

Dr. Acula
03-19-2007, 08:37 AM
If that is in fact her real name, I hope they change it to "Snow".

Or Drizzle, or Sunny, or any sort of weather-related name... my brother's favourite is "Pissingdown".:D

Mercen-X
03-28-2007, 07:27 PM
All right. This whole thread has finally be settled. Her name is Lightning. When playing the game, that's the name you will see and hear spoken often enough that it's no longer important to know her real name. It's awesome, so shut the thread up.

You have my blessing.

Cloudane
03-29-2007, 12:55 PM
Thought it must be something like that (a nickname)

It's easy enough to get used to FF names anyway. I used to think Cloud and Tifa were silly names, and that Barrett sold houses...

Sophie Peithos
03-29-2007, 02:30 PM
Sometimes I wonder if Square realizes how mundane and uninspired these English names they keep giving their characters really are.

Dr. Acula
03-30-2007, 10:32 AM
The name "Lightning" doesn't bother me.

Roogle
03-30-2007, 04:13 PM
I think somethiing that could double as an English name and a Japanese name would work well.

Names like Snow or Raine would be much better over Lightning.

Hazzard
03-30-2007, 04:35 PM
I think somethiing that could double as an English name and a Japanese name would work well.

Names like Snow or Raine would be much better over Lightning.

If they named a character 'Snow', they might as well start calling them--Winter, Hail and Blizzard.

I would prefer a name like, 'Drizzle' for some reason.

Eiko Guy
04-03-2007, 05:24 AM
Because of the z's they just make it sound cool like izz. Izz is a cool name, we all know it.

Hazzard
04-03-2007, 10:35 AM
No, 'Drizz' is a good name.
My next roleplay character will be officially knighted as Sir Drizz.

Cloudane
04-03-2007, 12:52 PM

You could do a typical FF-style thing and call him Drizz but with a full name of King Drizzledon dal Engrandios XVI

Mercen-X
04-25-2007, 09:07 PM

Liar.

psyniac_123
04-26-2007, 09:19 AM
Why the hell is it glowing like that?

That's what she said ;)

Anyway, Lightning fits, but I don't like it. It's too... NORMAL. In an odd way. Too plain, and common.