PDA

View Full Version : Linux/GNOME?

Sylvie
10-02-2006, 09:15 PM
Alright. So, I was thinking about using Linux. Only thing is, I need some opinions on it. Does anyone use it here? How do they like it? What kind of programs can it run, and what are its functionalities? I want some personal opinions on this one.

Also, what exactly is GNOME? I looked on their website but I'm not entirely sure what it is.

Shoeberto
10-02-2006, 09:48 PM
Gnome is a window manager. It's one of the more popular ones. Generally its counterpart is said to be KDE, though there's a lot of good, free window managers out there, and it's really all up to taste as to which one you use, since the fine particulars of them all run pretty different from one another.

I use it off and on - occasionally there's some functionality missing here or there that would seem small, but it drives me crazy :p Really, you shouldn't go into it expecting a free version of Windows. Everything is done significantly different between the two. Like, you can't natively run windows programs - it can be done with Wine, though the results of that can vary from "perfect" to "totally borked." But there are a bunch of natively made apps to replace the functionality of Windows programs that generally do it quicker and better.

I guess here's some pros and cons.
Pros:
- Completely free, down to the source. You won't ever have to worry about a $200 license for a Linux distro (well, some are commercial, but they always offer free versions). Generally all of the software available for it is free, as well, which is a really significant thing - you can get professional level applications completely free, with source.
- Rock solid. You can leave Linux up and running for months with no problems - it's just that effecient at managing resources, unlike Windows, which makes your system bog way down. It just doesn't happen on Linux.
- Secure. You won't get viruses or spyware on it - most of those are written to target the normal, unsuspecting Windows user. Frequent updates to various pieces of software in your system make sure you stay up to date with all of the recent security patches.
- Powerful and versatile. A Linux box can be whatever you want it to be, from gaming rig to office computer to server technology to an educational pc, and on and on and on.
- It's fun. It really gives you an opportunity to own your OS and do whatever you like to it, the process of which is educational and entertaining. You'll learn a lot about computers if you really get into Linux.

Cons:
- It's not Windows. Some would say it's a pro, but if you're absolutely set in your ways of how you like your OS (Windows-like), you'll probably be disappointed.
- Hardware support can be limited. Actually, most of the time, it's not. Printers and wireless network adapters, though, tend to cause problems, which required a relatively hackish solution.
- It can be hard. If you want to use Linux, you have to get used to the idea of constantly having a command-line terminal open to really get into things - a lot of newer distros are implimenting GUI controls to make it easier on new people, but the fact of the matter is that if you want to do anything significant on your system, you'll be trudging through the command line. Also, you'll have to do a lot of your own footwork. A lot of times when you go to boards asking for help on [x] small problem with your OS, they'll tell you to google it, because it's something that's likely been asked many times before. So get used to doing lengthy, thorough google searches and searches of your distro's message board before asking for help.

So there you go. Really, it's a wonderful experience, even if you just do it as a side project. I recommend Ubuntu Linux, just because it makes things really easy for a first-time Linux user.

Sylvie
10-02-2006, 10:09 PM
Hey, thanks a ton for the info. :D

So, could I uninstall XP from my laptop and put Linux on it? Or would that not work?

And is the command line thing hard to get the hang of?

Flying Mullet
10-02-2006, 10:10 PM
And is the command line thing hard to get the hang of?
Have you used DOS?

There's some different syntax but you're interfacing with the computer in the exact same way.

Sylvie
10-02-2006, 10:12 PM
I have really really basic DOS knowledge. When I first came acustomed to computers, I started with Win95. I used DOS for a little bit and then my dad got 95, but my dad could probably help me get the hang of it more. He used to use it all the time and I think he has a book of it, and it doesn't seem too hard anyway.

Shoeberto
10-02-2006, 10:15 PM
So, could I uninstall XP from my laptop and put Linux on it? Or would that not work?
It would work, but it's generally recommended to partition your hard drive and use a bootloader to dual-boot between Windows and Linux - that way if your Linux install completely breaks and doesn't support any of your hardware, you at least have a fallback. If partitioning and installing a bootloader sounds daunting, don't worry; most distros have this as a standard part of the installer and make it really easy.

Also, it should be pointed out that the command line isn't DOS. It's similar, in a way, just in how you type in commands and such, but beyond that it's quite different. In that, no, it's not particularly hard to get a hang of if you're willing to learn it. Generally if you find step-by-step guides for something online, they'll explain each step, so you should be able to pick up commands here or there along the way.

Flying Mullet
10-02-2006, 10:16 PM
Also, I would highly recommend buying a copy of <a href="http://www.amazon.com/Linux-Dummies-7th-Dee-Ann-LeBlanc/dp/0471752827/sr=8-1/qid=1159823656/ref=pd_bbs_1/102-2179383-6991301?ie=UTF8&s=books"><i>Linux for Dummies</i></a>. When I put Linux on one of my computers, I found it a very good tutorial for learning how to use and get around Linux. The other reason I liked it is that it showed you how to do things from the command line so that you won't have to rely on a GUI to get things done.

It's also nice because it comes with a DVD of a couple of different Linux distributions on it.

Sylvie
10-02-2006, 10:24 PM
Alrighty. Thanks for the info guys. Also, is it hard to install Linux on a computer? My dad tried it a while back and he said you have to know what you're doing.

Shoeberto
10-02-2006, 10:28 PM
Depends on the distro. Ubuntu is dead simple to install, where a full-on Gentoo install takes a careful hand and insane knowledge of all of the features of your own PC.

Sylvie
10-02-2006, 10:32 PM
Alright. If I do decide to use Linux, I'll definately go with Ubuntu.

EDIT: And also, did you say there was a program to help run programs on it? Cause' I definately want to run Photoshop and stuff on it.

Dr Unne
10-02-2006, 10:50 PM
Generally if you want to use some program, your best bet is to find a Linux program that does the same thing. For example there are a lot of image manipulation programs (Gimp etc.) that are as good as Photoshop, depending on what you want to do. Some Linux programs suck, some are as good as their Windows equivalents, and some are better.

If you absolutely need to run a Windows-only program, you have a couple choices:

1. Use WINE, which is sort of a Windows emulator. Pros, it works sometimes. Cons, it can be very hard to set up and get working, and it only works for certain programs.

2. Use VMware or another virtualization program, (which lets you run Windows in its entirety while still in Linux). Pros, it works extremely well and will run almost any Windows program. Cons, it's not free (though there are free versions) and it can be hard to set up too.

3. Dual boot. Pros, it's guaranteed to work. Cons, you have to reboot your computer every time you want to use a Windows program, which sucks, and communicating / transferring files between OSes can suck at times.

Sylvie
10-02-2006, 11:00 PM
Okay, thanks. I'm downloading Ubuntu right now, and then I can burn the ISO onto a CD.

crono_logical
10-02-2006, 11:26 PM
If you're still unsure about installing Linux, you can always boot Ubuntu off the CD and run it from there as a fully funcitoning preview of what it would be like without touching any data on your hard disks at all :p

Sylvie
10-02-2006, 11:28 PM
Yeah. That's what I'll do.

If partitioning and installing a bootloader sounds daunting, don't worry; most distros have this as a standard part of the installer and make it really easy.
Does Ubuntu support that?

bipper
10-03-2006, 12:34 AM
Use slackware! I highly reccomend it. Ubuntu seemingly falls short on being too user friendly, and installs much like windows (dodnt forget your "admin" pass ). I would suggest getting command line savy, as it is often much easier than navigating gui to say, set your hardware or software clocks.

Anywho, on gnome vs kde, I suggest KDE by far. KDE is more windowesque imo, and it is very much less processor intensive. If you plan on using ubuntu, and you wish to use KDE, simply download Kubuntu. If you are a christian, there is a christian version of ubuntu out there somewhere as well.

Bipper

Sylvie
10-03-2006, 12:36 AM
...A christian version? Wtf?

Well, I'm downloading Ubuntu right now. Half-way done.

Dr Unne
10-03-2006, 12:49 AM
Ubuntu is a good place to start. Someday you may graduate to a better distro, like Gentoo. You can switch distros pretty easily (if you do it correctly). All the Linux distros are like brothers and sisters. Ubuntu is the popular one. Gentoo is the smart kid. Slackware is the weird ugly kid who likes to eat paste and talks to himself.

bipper
10-03-2006, 01:03 AM
HA! Jokes on you UNNE! I don't eat paste anymore!

(you will prolly find one of the strongest rivalries between gentoo and slackware, Genj :) )

Shoeberto
10-03-2006, 01:10 AM
Ubuntu is a good place to start. Someday you may graduate to a better distro, like Gentoo. You can switch distros pretty easily (if you do it correctly). All the Linux distros are like brothers and sisters. Ubuntu is the popular one. Gentoo is the smart kid. Slackware is the weird ugly kid who likes to eat paste and talks to himself.
Yeah, Ubuntu isn't really the strongest distro when it comes to really decking things out, just because of how it's built in a little bit of a different way - I've had packages that I really wanted to install that weren't from an Ubuntu repository, and though the dependencies were satisfied, it still said that one library (which was there, same version and all) wasn't there. So occasionally wonky behavior there. But for new people, it's a great way to dive in.

Yamaneko
10-03-2006, 02:50 AM
Gentoo is good if you want to spend more time tweaking your system than getting work done. :)

Gnome and KDE are desktop environments which house window managers like metacity, KWin, or Beryl. '

Gnome has a smaller footprint than KDE. ;)

Ubuntu has the best Linux community. By best I mean biggest.

bipper
10-03-2006, 04:46 PM
Gnome has a smaller footprint than KDE. ;)

memory wise, but from what I hear, Gnome is kind of a processor whore.

http://www.psychocats.net/essays/kdevsgnome (http://www.psychocats.net/essays/kdevsgnome)this link has a great article on the two in my opinion. All though it does bitch slap my "KDE is windowseque" arguement :D

Yamaneko
10-03-2006, 05:15 PM
I usually idle between 1-3%. Xgl takes up the most processor cycles.

Sylvie
10-03-2006, 08:34 PM
Ok, some more questions. I downloaded PowerISO and its starting to piss me off. Not sure if I'm doing this right, but I opened the ISO with it and extracted it to a folder, and then theres a folder called "install". I opened it and theres a SMB or BIN (I forget which) called "smb". I tried opening it with PowerISO and it says the filetype isn't supported, yet I look at the supported types and .bin and .smb are in there. :confused:

Yamaneko
10-03-2006, 08:39 PM
You need to burn the entire .iso file to a CD. Don't extract it. Use something like Nero or Alcohol to burn it.

Sylvie
10-03-2006, 08:40 PM
Oh alrighty. Do I just burn it there like normal?

Yamaneko
10-03-2006, 08:43 PM
Well, there should be an option to burn as an iso. That's why I mentioned Alcohol and Nero. Both those programs have options to burn an iso onto a CD. Essentially you're just burning the seperate disk image onto a CD, so once you've burned it and go into the CD to browse its contents, you will see all those folders and files extracted.

Sylvie
10-03-2006, 08:50 PM
Alright. I'll try that out now. :D

Sylvie
10-03-2006, 09:12 PM
Ok. It boots from a disk now. A window pops up with stuff like Installing Firefox, GIMP, etc. How do I actually install the OS?

Shoeberto
10-03-2006, 09:30 PM
You have to reboot your PC with the CD in the drive, and if your PC is set to look to your CD-ROM drive for a boot device, then you'll be all set. If not, you'll have to change the boot order in the BIOS. You can get into it by restarting the computer and seeing if you PC says anything like "Press F2/Del/etc. to get into setup." Press whatever key it says and poke around until you find something labelled Boot Order or Boot Devices, and make sure that the CD-ROM is above the hard drive in boot order. After saving your changes, it'll reboot and everything should be okay.

If your computer reboots and doesn't say anything about enetering setup, a lot of common keys to enter the BIOS are F2, F12, and Delete.

Yamaneko
10-03-2006, 09:32 PM
Some newer bios allow you to specify boot device without actually entering the bios setup. Usually with F12.

Sylvie
10-03-2006, 10:01 PM
Ok. So I booted Ubuntu on my laptop. (I'm on my dads computer).

It worked well. Only thing is, I'm trying to set it up. What option do I choose to make it so I still have my WinXP OS on the system? Theres an option to erase everything (which I don't want to do), an option for Use largest available free space, and a manual option. I was thinking the second option, but I wanted to ask you guys first because I don't want to mess anything up. xD

Yamaneko
10-03-2006, 10:04 PM
Use the manual option. Specify enough space between the two OSes. Most people like a seperate partition for /home, but I just stick everything (except /swap of course) in /.

Sylvie
10-03-2006, 10:06 PM
Ok I clicked on that. There is a list of 4 things.

fat16
ntfs
fat32
unallocated

Do I click on Unallocated?

Yamaneko
10-03-2006, 10:11 PM
Well if you have enough space in unallocated then yes, but you're probably going to have to split one of your exisiting Windows partitions into another partition in order to have space to accomodate the OS. I've never used the Ubuntu install tool to do this (I use Partition Magic in Windows beforehand and then just specify the different folders to those partitions once I'm installing Ubuntu).

Just make sure you have everything you need backed up from your Windows install just in case it messes up the partition tables.

Sylvie
10-04-2006, 12:36 AM
How do I split the partitions?

Yamaneko
10-04-2006, 12:39 AM
There's no option to do that through the installer? You could always use fdisk.

Sylvie
10-04-2006, 12:41 AM
There's a Resize/Move option.

Yamaneko
10-04-2006, 12:43 AM
That's it.

Sylvie
10-04-2006, 12:47 AM
Alright. I tried using it, but I'm somewhat confused. I'm sorry for being annoying but I'm new at this OS and stuff. XD

A box pops up with:

Free Space Preceding (MB): 0
New Size: 34(something)
Free Space Following (MB): 0

I tried entering a new size, but when I clicked next it didn't work and I got an error.

Yamaneko
10-04-2006, 12:53 AM
Which partition are you resizing? The unallocated space Windows leaves after an install is small. Resize the existing Windows partition.

Sylvie
10-04-2006, 12:54 AM
Yeah, I tried resizing the Windows one. (ntfs, right?) I took like 6 GB off it. It didn't work for some reason.

Sylvie
10-04-2006, 02:04 AM
Alright, nevermind. I screwed something up and XP went bye-bye. I can't say I care, I need to start fresh. I'm just going to use Linux. Thanks for all your help though guys, it really means a lot to me. :D

o_O
10-05-2006, 05:24 AM
When installing Ubuntu, I found that the partition utility in the installer didn't work as it was supposed to. I just used fdisk with the live CD, which is the most powerful, and easiest to use.

Beware of Partition Magic; on more than one occasion it has messed everything up, and I have lost copious amounts of data because of it.

Also, being a laptop, Ubuntu may not support your native display resolution out of the box; if you're using 1280x800 (widescreen), then you may need to add the relevant information into your xorg.conf file.