PDA

View Full Version : Perfect games

Erdrick Holmes
10-03-2006, 05:13 PM
Disclaimer: This thread isn't about what games you like (although people can like these games) it means games that you feel arep erfect in everyway, in terms of playability and captivation.

Here are my picks.

Virtua Fighter 4- This is probably the best 3D fighting game ever made. A large batch of characters with tons of moves that perfectly emulate the moves of actual martial arts used all over the world. It's got infinite playability since it offers a Kumite mode which allows you to have your own custom fighter profile character with ranks and unlockable items to customize the look of your characters. Combat is really the meat of this dish, as it has lots of fighting moves and combos that are easy to learn yet challenging to master.

If you like fighting games at all then this is one to own

I'll list more when I can but list yours, and please offer a bit of explination to yours when you can.

pinkmage
10-03-2006, 05:14 PM
Streets of Rage 2 on the Mega Drive.
It was pure genius and perfect for competetive serious playing or just some fun beat em up gameage!

Roto13
10-03-2006, 05:16 PM
A perfect game would have to be without flaws, and such a game does not exist.

Erdrick Holmes
10-03-2006, 05:19 PM

There are a few that are near flawless, though. That's pretty much as close as we can get.

Roto13
10-03-2006, 05:33 PM

There are a few that are near flawless, though. That's pretty much as close as we can get.

But they're not flawless, so they're not perfect.

Dreddz
10-03-2006, 05:36 PM
Guilty Gear X2. As far as 2D fighters go, its near-perfect.

LunarWeaver
10-03-2006, 05:38 PM
Oh roto, quit being all picky and give some wiggle room :jess:

I didn't really like it nearly as much as others did, but Chrono Cross is a prime example of an RPG in a whole lotta ways. I guess I'll say that.

Jowy
10-03-2006, 05:41 PM
Soul Calibur II. Back before they nerfed the hell out of Talim. <3

Flying Mullet
10-03-2006, 05:48 PM
If Final Fantasy VI was more challenging I would list it as a perfect game.

Cookie
10-03-2006, 05:59 PM
San Andreas. Perfection.

Rainecloud
10-03-2006, 06:28 PM
Games that are perfect for me include the usual suspects - Final Fantasy VII and Zelda: Ocarina of Time. Other 'perfect' games, as far as I'm concerned, are Super Mario World, Yoshi's Island, Sonic the Hedgehog 2, 3 & 4, New Super Mario Bros, Final Fantasy X and Zelda: Link's Awakening.

They have their flaws, but they're perfect enough for me.

Roto13
10-03-2006, 06:31 PM
Soul Calibur II. Back before they nerfed the hell out of Talim. <3

But it had guest characters and Necrid </3

Yeah, still the best game in the series (and, visa vi the best fighting game ever. :P)

~SapphireStar~
10-03-2006, 06:41 PM
Final Fantasy 8 for me. I cannot find fault with the game. Being deadly serious, I cannot. I just love it so much. The characters, the battle system, the music, the GFs. I just think its perfect in everyway.

drunkymonkey
10-03-2006, 07:22 PM
Monkey Island.

Vermachtnis
10-03-2006, 09:17 PM
Xenogears, love that music and characters.

Spammerman
10-03-2006, 09:32 PM
FEAR. Fast paced action battles, Advanced Ai that actuallyu wokrs together to surround you, weapons that decimates enemies in seconds, multiplayer that rocks.

theundeadhero
10-03-2006, 09:34 PM
Legend of Zelda on NES. I'll still sit down and play it to this day and I first beat it 18 years ago.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
10-03-2006, 09:35 PM
Super Metroid
Yoshi's Island
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
It's conceivable that someone could bring up points against these three, but I think they're definitely the closest facsimiles to gaming perfection ever produced.

Yamaneko
10-03-2006, 09:38 PM
I could definitely bring up points regarding the superiority of SotN over Super Metroid. :cool:

Roto13
10-03-2006, 09:45 PM
Super Metroid
Yoshi's Island
It's conceivable that someone could bring up points against these three, but I think they're definitely the closest facsimiles to gaming perfection ever produced.

The biggest point I can bring against those, personally, is the fact that I could never really get into them. But that's just personal preference.

Vivisteiner
10-03-2006, 09:51 PM
Final Fantasy IX. I cant find a single non-superficial fault in it.

Captain Maxx Power
10-03-2006, 11:20 PM
Sonic 1.

Shoeberto
10-03-2006, 11:21 PM
Super Metroid
Yoshi's Island
I'd agree with those.

Half-life 2 would be top on my list. Some people dislike its linearity, but it's not an issue for me. I love it.

Azure Chrysanthemum
10-03-2006, 11:48 PM
I have a list of five games I think everyone should play. While I make no claims to them being perfect, they're all a considerable slice of awesome.

In no particular order:

1. Xenogears: Great storyline, thoroughly enjoyed it.

2. Final Fantasy Tactics: Best Final Fantasy. Ever. Hands down. Great battle and job system, best stories, best characters, villains with actual (and believeable) motivations, this one has it all wrapped in a horribly engrish-ified package.

3. Zone of the Enders II: the Second Runner: Good story, awesome graphics, stellar gameplay, genuinely creative and challenging fights, great controls. There need to be more ZOE games.

4. The Bard's Tale: Great game with fun gameplay, RPG elements, and hilarious dialogue. Loading issues do bog it down, but the gold shines through.

5. Disgaea: Hour of Darkness: Great battle system, lots of classes and customizability, fun skills, really nutty but amusing story, and great characters. Laharl-sama > all.

Markus. D
10-04-2006, 12:18 AM
5. Disgaea: Hour of Darkness: Great battle system, lots of classes and customizability, fun skills, really nutty but amusing story, and great characters. Laharl-sama > all.

mmm, I would have said that aswell, but it has major balance issues.

as for a game I think is near perfect....

let me think for awhile, Ill get back to you.

Roto13
10-04-2006, 01:27 AM
2. Final Fantasy Tactics: Best Final Fantasy. Ever. Hands down. Great battle and job system, best stories, best characters, villains with actual (and believeable) motivations, this one has it all wrapped in a horribly engrish-ified package.

How can you call any game where you have to keep two seperate save files due to terrible imbalancing "perfect"?

Auragaea
10-04-2006, 02:02 AM
The majority of these games do not seem to be thought out too well and seem to be more of favorite games than anything. From the entire list, the only game that I feel is near perfect is Chrono Cross.

Araciel
10-04-2006, 02:28 AM
as always, i pick tetris

Roto13
10-04-2006, 02:35 AM
as always, i pick tetris

You know what? I can't think of a single flaw. That's what happens when you have such a simple concept that's also so addicting.

Vincent, Thunder God
10-04-2006, 02:35 AM
Games I feel reach perfection are:

-Monkey Island 1-3 (MI 4 is not perfect)
-Grim Fandango
-Psychonauts
-Morrowind

Final Fantasy 7 is almost perfect as well, but its two shortcomings (bad character graphics and the fact that the task of leveling up all materia is too long and annoying).

Roto13
10-04-2006, 02:37 AM
Final Fantasy 7 is almost perfect as well, but its two shortcomings (bad character graphics and the fact that the task of leveling up all materia is too long and annoying).

If Final Fantasy VII is near perfect, Final Fantasy VI must be god.

Decessus
10-04-2006, 02:54 AM
Final Fantasy VI must be god.

It is, Roto.
It IS. :mad2:

Nominus Experse
10-04-2006, 03:33 AM
I'd have to cast my vote with Superman 64

dragoonknight_kain
10-04-2006, 06:00 AM
- God of War;
- Castlevania: Symphony of the Night;
- Chrono Cross;
- Vagrant Story;
- Any Metal Gear;

I consider them perfect because they are enjoyable games, they never pissed me off and they have, in my opinion, at least one outstanding aspect, like the awesome characters of Vagrant Story.

Azure Chrysanthemum
10-04-2006, 07:08 AM

How can you call any game where you have to keep two seperate save files due to terrible imbalancing "perfect"?

I have a list of five games I think everyone should play. While I make no claims to them being perfect, they're all a considerable slice of awesome.

And also, I can pretty much guarantee a victory from any save file you've got so long as you used Ramza enough for him to have yell :p

Erdrick Holmes
10-04-2006, 08:06 AM
Got a few more:

Sonic the Hedgehog CD: This game was probably the only game that did 2D platforming right. Take cool, large, chageable level design, add a metric ton of these huge ass levels, add fast speed plus the time travel element, the coolest secret level design I'd ever seen, and gameplay that's challenging as hell to play. I think we got a winner here, people.

Phantasy Star II: One part epic story, one part simple yet challenging RPG elements, one part cool characters, and five parts dungeons and monster battles that are... dare say it... hard? Yes, we have an RPG that's actually hard, people. There is no excuse for you to not play this game. In fact, I encourage everybody with an emulator to download and play it. Its a game so hard it took me ten years... yes ten years, to actually beat.

Dell
10-04-2006, 09:15 AM
Tales of Destiny II. Agree with it plzkthx.

I wish ValkyrieWing is here. And Lunar. And Zero. And Everyone.

Reine
10-04-2006, 09:26 AM
While my list is nowhere near perfect, theres the games that ive enjoyed the most and never get tired of, no matter how old, nor how often played.

Doom/Doom 2/Final Doom (Classic Doom)

These games are in my opinion, the best FPS games ever, and always will be. I always loved the games as a kid, mainly for the gore and all the shooting, which was awesome compared to all the hundreds of kiddy games at the time, but I could not play it without codes, as it was too damn hard, and I could not use a keyboard to play games very well. However, when I got Doom as a gift for the Playstation, being controlled with an actual controller rather than keyboard, I learned to play it, and got quite good at it, beating it on Ultra Violence multiple times (a 58 or 59 level quest, zomg!). When I got Final Doom for PS, which is a very rare game, I jumped straight to Ultra Violence from the offset, and was amazed by the level of difficulty, which far exceeded the former game. It took me three times as long to beat the 30 levels, as it did to beat the 58/59 levels of Doom on UV twice. Then one day, I found Final Doom for the PC in a bargain bin...much to my surprise, it was twice, maybe three to four times the difficulty of Final Doom on PS, plus, it was played on keyboard. And this was just TNT Evilution...Plutonia remains the hardest official Doom ever, to me.

I found the Doom Collector's Edition later, and now play Doom on ZDoom, a source port, and the awesome mods and stuff you can get for Doom never cease breathing life into a game well over ten years old. Alien Vendetta, Hell Revealed, Void, and other such things are ingenious, and the challenge serves to increase my skil ever so further. Excellent game series, I hope it never truly dies..

Sonic the Hedgehog

The first Megadrive game I played, and the first game I ever beat. Ive never gotten tired of it, and I was delighted to find that it had been rereleased on PS2 on the Sonic Mega Collection Plus. You can say that I bought it for Sonic 1 and 2, as these two games have been engraved in my memory as two of the greatest games ever. Even now, I still play it every so often, and have completed the entire game getting almost everything, and not getting hit once several times now.

Star Ocean

The best RPG series, in my opinion. I remember my mate bragging about Star Ocean 2 a lot, and me laughing at it, as it sounded so silly..yet when I finally saw it, It was pretty cool, and I was awestruck by the full active battles, so many numbers, so fast! I was used to slow RPGs like Final Fantasy..

When Star Ocean 3 came out, I was curious, so I bought it (I also bought it to spite my mate, who had wanted it since hearing about back when it was first announced) I loved it, and got addicted, and unlike most of my games, which i get halfway in, or so on, then stop and play something else and leave it unfinished for ages (years), I actually played it through till the end..

Later, I found Star Ocean 2 for sale (An extreme rarity, and only for $20!) and it wasnt as great as SO3, but it was still an awesome game, and on of the best RPG's ive ever played. Star Ocean 1 is the greatest SNES game, imo, and if I can get to play Star Ocean Blue Sphere, it will probably be the best Gameboy game. To this day I still play SO games every few days, and still arent bored of it (I might never grow bored of them)

NeoCracker
10-04-2006, 09:27 AM
Xenosaga series is definately up there. While it doesn't have many things that Stand out as spectacular, Lufia 2: Rise of the sinistrals had no problems with it. It was an awsome SNES Game, and why the hell hasn't anyone mentioned Chrono Trigger yet? I'm dissapointed in you people.

And who can forget the wonder of earthbound.

udsuna
10-04-2006, 09:51 AM
Final Fantasy VI must be god.

It is, Roto.
It IS. :mad2:

As close as anything crafted by humans could be, at least.

And I think the Homeworld series was the perfect RTS game. BRILLIANT full three dimensional movement. "Realistic" vessels and combat strategies. The first one had a good plot. Cataclysm sucked, but the combat improvements were brilliant. And Homeworld 2 was just gorgeous. In the years since, NOTHING has rivalled them for what they are.

JKTrix
10-04-2006, 10:27 AM
Where the hell is Ninja Gaiden (Xbox)? You can't talk about near perfect games without Ninja Gaiden. Tightest action game ever. Good thing it's coming to PS3, so more people will actually play it and know it.

Virtua Fighter 5, also, surpasses VF4, which is an obvious evolution. And VF4 was already the perfect fighter, so...

bipper
10-04-2006, 03:15 PM
If Final Fantasy VI was more challenging I would list it as a perfect game.

I tend to agree.

Though, I do not see the the lack of challenge as a hurddle for the game. It afterall, is perfectly fun for me to play time and time again. Isn't that the point of a game? To be entertaining?

Oh, and Shaq-fu.:greenie:

Bipper

Skarr
10-04-2006, 03:28 PM
Chrono Tigger

This comes pretty damned close to perfection.

Flying Mullet
10-04-2006, 03:52 PM
Oh, and Shaq-fu.:greenie:
:smash:

Shaun
10-04-2006, 03:57 PM
Final Fantasy VII is the perfect game for me. Well, not perfect, but almost.

Erdrick Holmes
10-04-2006, 05:40 PM
Where the hell is Ninja Gaiden (Xbox)? You can't talk about near perfect games without Ninja Gaiden. Tightest action game ever. Good thing it's coming to PS3, so more people will actually play it and know it.

It'd be perfect if the first boss can actually be beaten.

Madame Adequate
10-04-2006, 05:46 PM
Chrono Tigger Cross

Edit: No wait, thinking about it, Chrono Tigger would be a fucking amazing game xDDD

I Am Stoner
10-04-2006, 05:49 PM
Chrono Trigger

Also FF VI.

Reine
10-04-2006, 08:33 PM
Chrono Tigger Cross

Edit: No wait, thinking about it, Chrono Tigger would be a smurfing amazing game xDDD

Hell yes

JKTrix
10-05-2006, 01:56 AM

It'd be perfect if the first boss can actually be beaten.

Ninja Gaiden punishes you for sucking. :P

But yeah, it's freakishly hard, and really requires you to become skilled with it. None of the bosses are 'unbeatable', but they'll probably take several tries for you to find weaknesses in the patterns. And when you finally *do* beat them, it's quite a rewarding feeling. After I finished that game, most other action games were instantly mediocre.

Nifleheim7
10-05-2006, 02:13 AM
Nothing is perfect.
With that being said i would choose
Shadow of the Colossus
and
Ico

sephirothishere
10-05-2006, 11:50 PM
metal gear solid....all of them jus kick major ass...

Rusty
10-09-2006, 09:32 AM
I would consider Final Fantasy VII & VIII to be perfect.

The Mario series are classic perfection.

I also think the Tomb Raider series. I love that series.

Gran Turismo would have to be held as the perfect car-racing game out.

Roto13
10-09-2006, 02:17 PM
I also think the Tomb Raider series. I love that series.

o_o

Rocket Edge
10-09-2006, 02:23 PM
Games i thought were perfect:

- Final Fantasy VIII - Best game ever invented.
- Super Mario Brothers 3 (NES)
- Sonic the Hedgehog 2
- Revenge of Shinobi (Sega)
- Syphon Filter 2
- Dungeon Keeper (PC)
- Warzone 2100 (PC)
- Kingdom Hearts (In the process of completing II and that looks like it could be a welcome edition to this list)

UltimaMasamune
10-24-2006, 08:20 PM
Metal Gears Solid 3 : Subsistence

Xander
10-24-2006, 08:23 PM
Nothing's perfect, games are the same, imo.. :p Most games have at least one bit that annoys me.

Izzo2
10-25-2006, 03:42 AM
Ocarina of Time
Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
Majora's Mask
Halo 2
Battlefield 2: modern Combat
Knights of the Old Republic

Those all rock.