PDA

View Full Version : Disagree with a book

vorpal blade
10-04-2006, 10:51 AM
I've been reading a book called Character Design: A Psychological Approach or someting like that, by... someone. The book seems like an intro to psychology book and introduces some social psychology and uses that to explain good character design, with examples from various games. That may not have made sense, but the point is this: in a section on female gamers, it mentions Lulu and Yuna as female "archetypes."

It also gives a brief description of the two girls. But the description seems totally wrong. For example, it describes Lulu as "sensuous, materialistic and hyperfeminine." No way. Sensuous, maybe (she does have a rather large chest) but she is not materialistic, and in no way is she feminine (except that she does get motherly in FFX-2). In a word, she is goth.

It also describes Yuna as "androgenous, understated and more focused on the spiritual." A little more accurate, I guess. While i wouldn't call her 'androgenous" she is understated (as in little personality) and as a summoner has to be spiritual.

But what I ask is, do you agree with the book?

Roto13
10-04-2006, 02:27 PM
Lulu is pretty feminine if only for her motherlyness. A character can be feminine without hopping around like a valley girl. :P

rubah
10-04-2006, 11:43 PM
Lulu is more feminine than you think; she's the one with the most relationships in the game. Not only was she with chappu before hand, if you have tidus flirt with her in guadosalam, she does say she'll consider it. Then she gets together (predictably) with wakka.

For Yuna, the only thing in her life is her quest to destroy sin. She's confused when she meets tidus and likes him, and continues to find resistance in spira toward him, and it's only with him that she begins to find herself, thus she has a bit more personality in x-2. However, outside his influence, she can only absorb that from other people, so she adopts rikku's mannerisms for a guide :p

vorpal blade
10-05-2006, 08:54 AM
A character can be feminine without hopping around like a valley girl.

Feminine, yes, but "hyperfeminine?" I don't think so.

Pete for President
10-08-2006, 09:36 PM
A character can be feminine without hopping around like a valley girl.

Feminine, yes, but "hyperfeminine?" I don't think so.

She's quite harsh on the guys though! Most of the time, she's way nicer to the ladies. Not to mention how she treats Wakka sometimes...

Bolivar
10-08-2006, 10:13 PM
I don't know, you rarely see Lulu or Yuna happy. i don't know if they're archetypes... i don't know

Venom
10-08-2006, 11:14 PM
Lulu is the best part of X. :)

Roto13
10-09-2006, 03:09 AM
I don't know, you rarely see Lulu or Yuna happy.

Think of story. Would you be happy? :P