PDA

View Full Version : Death Note

Azure Chrysanthemum
10-04-2006, 06:36 PM
Now that the anime is being released in Japan (Opening and Ending songs were just uploaded and can be found here (http://youtube.com/watch?v=u9dwIuEPC94) and here (http://youtube.com/watch?v=aak3PsAU0Zc)), I thought it the perfect time to discuss this series.

Personally, I'm rather fond of it. I've read just beyond where the English manga release is (NOTE: Major spoiler. You have been warned) Just after the death of L and the introduction of Mellow and Near and Mellow's acquisition of a Death Note. I was originally reading the scanlations, but I decided to stop after the quality got really bad and I became afraid that I'd miss something in translation, so I am just waiting for the manga to see English release.

I've been much looking forward to the anime, and am hoping it gets fansubbed soon. I also want to see the movie, which will apparently see an American release sometime soonish.

But yes. Discuss Death Note.

~SapphireStar~
10-04-2006, 06:38 PM
I read the first manga from StopTazmo and that monster scared the hell outta me. Im in love with the atcual notebook from ther series and was so tempted to get it from ebay.

Drift
10-04-2006, 07:26 PM
there was an article about the chinese film in some chinese magazine, but seeing as my chinese fails i couldnt read it properly :( looks good though

Roto13
10-04-2006, 09:36 PM
I've read the whole series. It's great, but I was pretty disappointed by the third story arc. Those new guys can't possibly hold a candle to L.

Zeromus_X
10-05-2006, 12:20 AM
I already made a thread but nobody replied to it and it died. But yours is much better. ^_^

Anyway, yes, I love Death Note! It's possibly my favorite manga (and I need to check out this anime somehow), and I have read the entire series through scanlations. But, I do intend to buy all the Viz Graphic Novels, to make sure nothing is 'missed in translation'.

Major Ending Spoilers, read at your own risk.

I too was disappointed by a scene, but not that particular one.

More like how Light's plan just backfires and collapses from one stupid thing he says. Ryuk already told us he'd be killing Light with the Death Note, so that shouldn't be surprising (though I can understand forgetting blatant foreshadowing a hundred and six chapters down the road).

The thing about 'when humans die, all that awaits them is nothingness' was really awesome and gave me goosebumps though. Now Light actually knows how it feels to die. Now he can realize that although his intentions were just, he really was just like all the criminals he condemned to death. And how all the people he manipulated couldn't help him when he needed them most. He's definitely one interesting main character, that's for sure.

Hot Matsuda gunslinging action ftw!

I was also confused at the ending scene with the procession of Kira followers. Was that chick at the end supposed to be Misa?

Roto13
10-05-2006, 12:29 AM
Yes! I hated that! I hated that Light made such a stupid mistake. He's too awesome for that. He NEVER makes mistakes and he made one that he should be way too smart to make. :(

Mogi
10-06-2006, 01:44 AM
Oh my gosh, I didn't even know there was a third one!

I read the first and second ones, and I love em, but I've never been able to find the third. I even asked a guy at Borders, and when he was (trying) to help me look for it he said "Are you sure it's out?"

I hate him now....

Zeromus_X
10-06-2006, 04:34 AM
According to Wikipedia, seven of the twelve volumes have been published by Viz on the 'Shonen Jump Advanced' line. I only own the first four right now.

Raven Nox
10-06-2006, 05:29 AM
I've been meaning to read the manga for awhile, because some people I know have been saying it's really good. Now that an anime is coming out, I'll probably try to check out both. ^^;

Azure Chrysanthemum
10-06-2006, 07:37 AM
The fansub hasn't been released yet. I'm attributing this to the fact that it has so much dialogue.

Roto13
10-06-2006, 02:16 PM
The fansub hasn't been released yet. I'm attributing this to the fact that it has so much dialogue.

Every minute without my fansub is another minute I come closer to watching the subless version. In fact, I may download the subless version anyway, just for screenshots.

Ashi
10-06-2006, 02:32 PM
I haven't read the manga but I'm pretty excited about the series. A classmate has been endlessly raving about it and it got me interested. I'm already going to get the first book soon to see if it's worth it. :tongue:

My classmate actually watched the raw episode. I wonder why people keep doing that to themselves if their understanding of Japanese is elementary. :confused:

Dell
10-06-2006, 02:56 PM
I only read the first series and it's awesome. Not my favourite, though.

Azure Chrysanthemum
10-06-2006, 04:21 PM
I started watching the RAW on youtube until I realized "oh wait. Death Note. All dialogue. Right."

Armisael
10-06-2006, 06:34 PM
But yes. Discuss Death Note.

Death Note is one of the best manga ever!
L is one of the best characters ever!
And Kira is one of the best villains--that's how i see it-- ever!
So yeah, Death Note is awesome!

p.s Can't wait for the upcoming projects --2nd movie and anime to come out!--

Dreddz
10-06-2006, 06:39 PM
Im literally only a few pages into the Manga after being recommended it. Need to read more first, but I expect it being nothing but awesome.

Mogi
10-06-2006, 08:05 PM
According to Wikipedia, seven of the twelve volumes have been published by Viz on the 'Shonen Jump Advanced' line. I only own the first four right now.

I've been locked up in a cellar my whole life....

Azure Chrysanthemum
10-07-2006, 06:38 PM
Just a note, the fansub for the first episode has been released. Obviously I'll not be linking it here for legal issues, but it's not too difficult to find.

Edit: I absolutely love the music and the art style, and like the manga it starts quite strong. The first episode was rather good, I'm looking forward to the next ones.

Roto13
10-07-2006, 07:10 PM
I finished torrenting the fansub and, despite it's small size, it seems to be pretty good quality.

Mogi
10-09-2006, 06:40 AM
I like the beginning of the Manga.

JKTrix
10-09-2006, 04:05 PM
I'll indirectly link to the fansub for those interested. Knights are free to edit, as usual.
<!--http://anime.fansub.tv/episode.php/3992/Death%20Note/1/--><b><<b></b>></b>
The anime isn't licensed yet, and this particular site does not link to licensed anime.

I haven't read all of the manga, just the first one or 2 chapters when I was trying to find all the mangas for characters in my Jump! Superstars game for the DS. So far the show is drawn really well and it's quite captivating. Not your average 'Jump!' show.

<b>Edit by Kishi: Can and will! It's a naïve belief that fansubs are somehow legitimate just because a show hasn't been licensed.</b>

Azure Chrysanthemum
10-09-2006, 06:15 PM
I felt the anime started really strongly. I loved the scene where Light is killing all the criminals and they show him writing and all of the criminals getting a heart attack and collapsing and dying.