PDA

View Full Version : Who is Batman?

The Fat Bioware Nerd
10-05-2006, 04:36 AM
I was wondering who exactly is Batman?:confused: I mean I know that Batman's secret identity is Bruce Wayne but...There's been so many interpertations of the Caped Crusader that I'm not sure which approach is notable in defining Batman(Or Bruce Wayne for that matter.) as a character. There's the William Dozier version,(He's the creator of the campy 1960's Batman TV series.) the Frank Miller version, the Tim Burton version,(My favorite!:D) the Bruce Timm/Eric Radomski version,(They're the creators of the popular Batman: The Animated Series.) the infamous Joel Schumacher version, and the recent Christopher Nolan version.

Paro
10-05-2006, 05:35 AM
He's Batman, which ever one you want him to be.

LunarWeaver
10-05-2006, 05:39 AM
Batman Begins is my favorite Batman movie, but not really my favorite Batman interpretation. Bale did a good job and all, but something about it always seemed off to me :O_O:

I think Batman in "Batman: The Animated Series" they made in the early 90's has been the best take on him personally. Er, and the new Justice League too since he carried over.

Del Murder
10-05-2006, 06:15 AM
Probably not the 60s one.

Paro
10-05-2006, 06:22 AM
Who's my favorite Batman?

Christian Bale - he's the dark knight
Adam West - he's the classic
Kevin Conroy - he's the voice
Micheal Keaton - he's the stepping stone

The Fat Bioware Nerd
10-05-2006, 06:23 AM
And probaby not the Joel Shumacher one.

Pharoh Amon Khan III
10-05-2006, 06:48 AM

Oh, HELL To the NAW HE AIN'T!!!! Merciful Light O' Heaven In the Mornin'!

He's uh-THE Batman. Post Crisis On Infinite Earths, Death of Jason Todd, Tim Burton, Batman the Animated Series- Batman! Justice League and Justice League Unlimited! DAT'S Batman!

All that other crap, including "Batman Begins" was/is Kay-rah-app!!!!

I often to refer to "Batman Begins" with "brownies".

Ask me why... C'mon... You know you wanna... :plotting:

Paro
10-05-2006, 07:07 AM

Oh, HELL To the NAW HE AIN'T!!!! Merciful Light O' Heaven In the Mornin'!

He's uh-THE Batman. Post Crisis On Infinite Earths, Death of Jason Todd, Tim Burton, Batman the Animated Series- Batman!

All that other crap, including "Batman Begins" was/is Kay-rah-app!!!!

I often to refer to "Batman Begins" with "brownies".

Ask me why... C'mon... You know you wanna... :plotting:

*yawns* why?

El Bandito
10-05-2006, 08:10 AM
It think nobody really captured the grit and overall dark theme I like to associate with Batman like Miller did (and currently does).

The Dark Knight Returns is the absolute epitomy of Batman.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
10-05-2006, 08:21 AM
The nice thing about The Dark Knight Returns is that it's supposed to be a vision of Batman's future, when he's a grizzled old man past his prime. Therefore, it can coexist perfectly well with any of the myriad interpretations of his present self.

eestlinc
10-05-2006, 08:27 AM
I think the animated series most accurately captures what I consider the true essence of Batman.

theundeadhero
10-05-2006, 10:41 AM
I prefer the dark, brooding, mentally disturbed Batman. He really is just as crazy as the Joker. He just merges it with life in a different way.

Captain Maxx Power
10-05-2006, 10:41 AM
Dernernernernernernerner
Dernernernernernernerner
BATMAN!
BATMAN!
BATMAAN!
BATMAAAN!
BATMAN!
Dernernernernerner
Dernernernernerner
DANANANANANA!
BATMAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN!!

And that is who Batman is. :cool:

Mitch
10-05-2006, 10:59 AM
BANTAM

Reine
10-05-2006, 11:03 AM
I was wondering who exactly is Batman?

Your father.

The Fat Bioware Nerd
10-05-2006, 03:05 PM
No actually my father is a crippled old man who fought in the Viet Nam war.

Sefie1999AD
10-05-2006, 07:22 PM
Probably not the 60s one.

Agreed. Although I liked the interpretation in Batman Begins, I still think the Batman from the Animated Series is my favorite, especially in the animated movie, Batman: Mask of the Phantasm.

Quindiana Jones
10-05-2006, 07:52 PM
A fake, I tell ye! A FAKE!

Ryushikaze
10-05-2006, 07:58 PM
Current continuity/ Animated Series Batman. They're basically the same at this point. They're even both dating wonder woman.

Pharoh Amon Khan III
10-05-2006, 09:06 PM
Current continuity/ Animated Series Batman. They're basically the same at this point. They're even both dating wonder woman.

Ain't that gonna be a "Crisis" of... uh... Love?" Okay, that was a spur of the moment joke and I should have just shot the horse before he died...

Anyway...

To answer Paro's question (thanks for enthusiastically asking :mad: :D j/k ) with a pre-scripted detailed explaination wiith as much rehearsed ease as I can.muster... Just remember, you asked for it... :laugh:

I saw Batman Begins, and I have to admit that was a good over-the-top action film, but... NOT a Batman film. This movie gets my "Special Brownies" rating.

1. Bruce Wayne is over the grief that his parents are dead, but his new motivation is to be a 'symbol' of 'hope' and something 'good' in the City of Gotham of old, by dressing up as a lunatic vigilante in a scary bat costume... (yeah, that inspires hope and goodness) I feel safer already. Also, going back to his 'new' motivation, it's SO frickkin' OBVIOUS that his 'fear' is a set-up for the antagonist of the film: The Scarecrow... Man, I almost retched when I heard him talk about fear because it was the most obvious foreshadowing... EVER! Where's the angry bitter dark knight of vengence that was spurred on to deal justice not because like most criminals, "Mommy and Daddy Didn't Love Me"; but in Bruce/Batman's case "Mommy and Daddy Never Got a Chance To Love Me!" But people are eating those brownies up! They can't make enough of them or fast enough to keep up with their hunger.

2. Batman rescues the girl and stands in clear view in the bright lights so she can see him and really just to impress her. "So... You live around here? Wanna get some coffee? I just saved you're life, gimme them digits."

C'mon, even in the animated series, Batman would save you, but disappear or remain in the shadows so you don't really know if he's human or not. He never really (but on slight occassions) even let Jim Gordan see him directly in the comics or the animated series. The Batman is a 'boogey-man' and when he get's down, he get's down. Someone got a camera? Batman just boogies; he's gone before the flash hits.

3. Why does Batman drive a SUPED-UP GAS-GUSSLING HUMMER? I mean, really. How did he get that thing into the city without getting pulled over? Where did he park it? HOW could he park it? There's no alley big enough for that thing :laugh:! I'm assuming that's just appealing more to the Americans need for oversized cars that run people off the road and hold up the gas-pump. As you'll see later. Anyone GOT MILK! You can't enjoy the deliciousness of a good brownie without a glass of good old American FDA-Calcium-Enriched wholesome Nectar of the Sacred HOLY COW.

4. Batman want's the people of Gotham to know that he's a protector. In the scene where he's driving on the highway like a mad-man, of course trying to save "The Girl", he causes more destruction and death than the Flash could at rush-hour! Oops! Sorry several fellow drivers, I'm saving this one woman's life though I've probably just destroyed several generational lines doing so. I would find this more acceptable if this were the angry, bitter, Bruce/Batman it might be more plausiable that innocents were hurt, but still Tim Burton's Batman had chases and no one was directly hurt. So we'll take ONE brownie off for that one.

5.Batman has always been portrayed as having a private war on crime. He explains, or rather IT is explained because Batman doesn't have to explain himself. that the gear and costume are to strike fear into his enemies. So why is it that when Bruce and Alfred are building the Batcave and Bat-things, Bruce tosses a 'Batarang' and smiles at Alfred.. "Cool."...Like their building a "Bat-Treehouse" or something!

Yeah, okay... it IS cool, but Batman isn't about 'cool'. He's hell bent on dealing with the 'scum' of Gotham with his own brand of no-mercy- no-holds barred- beat his ass before the cops get a hold of em- tough love mommy and daddy didn't give 'em- JUSTICE!!!! It's not about the coolness.

But hey, here's another batch of brownies fresh out of the Bat-Oven... Alfred's so happy you're enjoying them! :D

And there's more, but I think that's enough... I figure you kids are pretty full off of them brownies... Huh? Yeah, I thought so.

So, I guess now you're wondering WHY do covet this movie with my rating of "Special Browines"?

Well, let's put like this in the rehearsed conclusion I have here.

Batman Begins is not a 'bad' movie to me. It's a great action movie, but not a Batman Movie. Too far a departure from the character we have known and... uh,... related to.

Now as I said, it's a great action movie and by the points I've just given a lot of people leaving the theatre suddenly realized my points past the sensationlism that thrilled them and inspired them to test the limits of their bladders after buying the Jumbo Sprite with the popcorn combo. They step off, not come off, the peak of euphoric high just slightly... It's like looking at the behind the scenes of Seame Street; seeing the guy in the Big Bird... (hard to say it)... costume... (Big Bird is real... He's real... So is Mr. Snuffalufagus... However the hell you spell his name)...

I summerize it up like this... Let's say I just gave you some brownies and they're the best brownies you've ever tasted. You keep begging me to tell you what's in it? What's the secret ingredient?

"I can't tell you. It'll ruin it for you." I tell them.

"C'mon man! Ummm-MMM! What's this made of?"

"Okay... You really wanna know." I cave, but testing them for certainty.

"Yes!" they shout in unison and begin scarfing down a fresh batch....

"Huh. You're sure. I mean reeeeeally sure?"

"YES! PLEASE!!" they beg.

"Okay... It's Bulls**t. Bulls**t. And it was DEE-LICIOUS, wasn't it?"

"... ... ... Wha-?"

"Yeah, that's right. Bulls**t. I just fed you some Bulls**t, and you ate it all up. Just like the bulls**t they fed you in the movie; all the traditional American glamourizing of explosions, destruction, and confusing, albeit realistic, fighting, and just basic over-the-top Bulls**t. Now, even though I just pointed it out... You're still loving them brownies now aren't ya? Uh-huh. Sure you are.

Now for those of you that may ask... Like most bathrooms, the Restooms are just like when JFK was assassinated: Back and to the left; back and to the left. More brownies and milk are available in the breakroom... Enjoy.

My name is Pharoh Amon Khan.... Thanks for reading. :D

Arrianna
10-05-2006, 10:11 PM
:laugh:

Well the animated series was my favorite but I have to say the recent Christopher Nolan version was the most accurate to the comics in spite of that "loverly reveiw" we just received. Of course I have read the comics they based them off of so perhaps that makes a difference in my perspective.

fire_of_avalon
10-05-2006, 11:30 PM
The Animated Series is also my favorite portrayal of Batman, besides comic books!

Omnislash07
10-06-2006, 02:16 AM
I liked the ones with George Clooney, lol

Decessus
10-06-2006, 02:19 AM
Flying Mullet.

Paro
10-06-2006, 07:43 AM

Ain't that gonna be a "Crisis" of... uh... Love?" Okay, that was a spur of the moment joke and I should have just shot the horse before he died...

Anyway...

To answer Paro's question (thanks for enthusiastically asking :mad: :D j/k ) with a pre-scripted detailed explaination wiith as much rehearsed ease as I can.muster... Just remember, you asked for it... :laugh:

I saw Batman Begins, and I have to admit that was a good over-the-top action film, but... NOT a Batman film. This movie gets my "Special Brownies" rating.

1. Bruce Wayne is over the grief that his parents are dead, but his new motivation is to be a 'symbol' of 'hope' and something 'good' in the City of Gotham of old, by dressing up as a lunatic vigilante in a scary bat costume... (yeah, that inspires hope and goodness) I feel safer already. Also, going back to his 'new' motivation, it's SO frickkin' OBVIOUS that his 'fear' is a set-up for the antagonist of the film: The Scarecrow... Man, I almost retched when I heard him talk about fear because it was the most obvious foreshadowing... EVER! Where's the angry bitter dark knight of vengence that was spurred on to deal justice not because like most criminals, "Mommy and Daddy Didn't Love Me"; but in Bruce/Batman's case "Mommy and Daddy Never Got a Chance To Love Me!" But people are eating those brownies up! They can't make enough of them or fast enough to keep up with their hunger.

2. Batman rescues the girl and stands in clear view in the bright lights so she can see him and really just to impress her. "So... You live around here? Wanna get some coffee? I just saved you're life, gimme them digits."

C'mon, even in the animated series, Batman would save you, but disappear or remain in the shadows so you don't really know if he's human or not. He never really (but on slight occassions) even let Jim Gordan see him directly in the comics or the animated series. The Batman is a 'boogey-man' and when he get's down, he get's down. Someone got a camera? Batman just boogies; he's gone before the flash hits.

3. Why does Batman drive a SUPED-UP GAS-GUSSLING HUMMER? I mean, really. How did he get that thing into the city without getting pulled over? Where did he park it? HOW could he park it? There's no alley big enough for that thing :laugh:! I'm assuming that's just appealing more to the Americans need for oversized cars that run people off the road and hold up the gas-pump. As you'll see later. Anyone GOT MILK! You can't enjoy the deliciousness of a good brownie without a glass of good old American FDA-Calcium-Enriched wholesome Nectar of the Sacred HOLY COW.

4. Batman want's the people of Gotham to know that he's a protector. In the scene where he's driving on the highway like a mad-man, of course trying to save "The Girl", he causes more destruction and death than the Flash could at rush-hour! Oops! Sorry several fellow drivers, I'm saving this one woman's life though I've probably just destroyed several generational lines doing so. I would find this more acceptable if this were the angry, bitter, Bruce/Batman it might be more plausiable that innocents were hurt, but still Tim Burton's Batman had chases and no one was directly hurt. So we'll take ONE brownie off for that one.

5.Batman has always been portrayed as having a private war on crime. He explains, or rather IT is explained because Batman doesn't have to explain himself. that the gear and costume are to strike fear into his enemies. So why is it that when Bruce and Alfred are building the Batcave and Bat-things, Bruce tosses a 'Batarang' and smiles at Alfred.. "Cool."...Like their building a "Bat-Treehouse" or something!

Yeah, okay... it IS cool, but Batman isn't about 'cool'. He's hell bent on dealing with the 'scum' of Gotham with his own brand of no-mercy- no-holds barred- beat his ass before the cops get a hold of em- tough love mommy and daddy didn't give 'em- JUSTICE!!!! It's not about the coolness.

But hey, here's another batch of brownies fresh out of the Bat-Oven... Alfred's so happy you're enjoying them! :D

And there's more, but I think that's enough... I figure you kids are pretty full off of them brownies... Huh? Yeah, I thought so.

So, I guess now you're wondering WHY do covet this movie with my rating of "Special Browines"?

Well, let's put like this in the rehearsed conclusion I have here.

Batman Begins is not a 'bad' movie to me. It's a great action movie, but not a Batman Movie. Too far a departure from the character we have known and... uh,... related to.

Now as I said, it's a great action movie and by the points I've just given a lot of people leaving the theatre suddenly realized my points past the sensationlism that thrilled them and inspired them to test the limits of their bladders after buying the Jumbo Sprite with the popcorn combo. They step off, not come off, the peak of euphoric high just slightly... It's like looking at the behind the scenes of Seame Street; seeing the guy in the Big Bird... (hard to say it)... costume... (Big Bird is real... He's real... So is Mr. Snuffalufagus... However the hell you spell his name)...

I summerize it up like this... Let's say I just gave you some brownies and they're the best brownies you've ever tasted. You keep begging me to tell you what's in it? What's the secret ingredient?

"I can't tell you. It'll ruin it for you." I tell them.

"C'mon man! Ummm-MMM! What's this made of?"

"Okay... You really wanna know." I cave, but testing them for certainty.

"Yes!" they shout in unison and begin scarfing down a fresh batch....

"Huh. You're sure. I mean reeeeeally sure?"

"YES! PLEASE!!" they beg.

"Okay... It's Bulls**t. Bulls**t. And it was DEE-LICIOUS, wasn't it?"

"... ... ... Wha-?"

"Yeah, that's right. Bulls**t. I just fed you some Bulls**t, and you ate it all up. Just like the bulls**t they fed you in the movie; all the traditional American glamourizing of explosions, destruction, and confusing, albeit realistic, fighting, and just basic over-the-top Bulls**t. Now, even though I just pointed it out... You're still loving them brownies now aren't ya? Uh-huh. Sure you are.

Now for those of you that may ask... Like most bathrooms, the Restooms are just like when JFK was assassinated: Back and to the left; back and to the left. More brownies and milk are available in the breakroom... Enjoy.

My name is Pharoh Amon Khan.... Thanks for reading. :D

No offense but I think you saw what you wanted to see.

1. The motivation was still his parents. More so his father. His father tried to help people and now he wants to do the same. Hope to the good citizens and fear to the criminals.

2.What girl? Rachel? Yeah, Batman revealed his ID even in the Burton films.
He trust Rachel the same way he trust Gordon.

3. A Hummer versus a limo with wings.

4. Movie magic! Batman can drive his tank without hurting anyone, and he can crash land a plane in a city street without hurting anyone( 1989).

5.That's your opinon. It represented their relationship. A humours smile between friends.

You're are right about one thing. It wasn't a Batman film. It was a great Bruce Wayne/Batman film. I'm defending this and I wasn't even super in love with it. Go figure.
<!-- / message -->

Pharoh Amon Khan III
10-06-2006, 08:04 AM
Hey, DUDE, you're all good with that! You're opinion and all that... I just wanted to express my opinions on the film as I did when I did on the premiere when I stepped out of the theatre.... Almost literally everything I said DID actually happen. Except for the eating of the proverbrial brownies... :laugh:

But this is a perfect example of America's youth being exposed to what they think is "NEW" but it's just rehased... Like: "Charlies' Angles", "Dukes Of Hazard", Phoenix Rising, Batman Begins, Superman Returns"; ect, ect. ...

I'm not saying it's a bad thing, but it's a bad thing that it's a sign of the loss of originality... And I believe that a sign of BLATANT loss of originality is a sign of the so called "End of All Times"... With this... What more do we have to inspire the youth of tomorrow? Does history really have to repeat itself?

Kawaii Ryűkishi
10-06-2006, 08:16 AM
Khan, don't be a jerk.

Paro
10-06-2006, 08:17 AM
Hey, DUDE, you're all good with that! You're opinion and all that... I just wanted to express my opinions on the film as I did when I did on the premiere when I stepped out of the theatre.... Almost literally everything I said DID actually happen. Except for the eating of the proverbrial brownies... :laugh:

But this is a perfect example of America's youth being exposed to what they think is "NEW" but it's just rehased... Like: "Charlies' Angles", "Dukes Of Hazard", Phoenix Rising, Batman Begins, Superman Returns"; ect, ect. ...

I'm not saying it's a bad thing, but it's a bad thing that it's a sign of the loss of originality... And I believe that a sign of BLATANT loss of originality is a sign of the so called "End of All Times"... With this... What more do we have to inspire the youth of tomorrow? Does history really have to repeat itself?

If history does have to repeat itself, I'd rather it repeat stuff like Batman, Spider-man, Superman, and Phoenix Rising, WHY? because Pharoh Amon Khan, I am a comic book fan, I love seeing my favorite comic heroes on film.

But yeah your opinions noted.

Khan, don't be a jerk.

It's okay I'm not the one who spent half a page leading up to a lame punchline about how anybody who liked a movie I didn't was dumb enough to eat sh*t.<!-- / message -->

Pharoh Amon Khan III
10-06-2006, 10:53 AM
Khan, don't be a jerk.

It's okay I'm not the one who spent half a page leading up to a lame punchline about how anybody who liked a movie I didn't was dumb enough to eat sh*t.<!-- / message -->

I just stated my opinion on the recent films is that a reason to hate on me?

No. It's not... Just said my piece and that's that... If I offended you (somehow) other than the film itself... Well... Tough Ta-Tahs. :laugh:

I wasn't trying to offend you. Not a jerk. Just a comedian about it. If that offends you; deal with it. :laugh:

Dude, I DID NOT like the movie... YOU did, big deal... :laugh: Hell, if I could I would've MST3K the whole thing... :laugh:

For The Love Of The Widow, How do I so easily piss you people of EOFF off so easily?

I can can only guess that it's this: The Secret of Comedy's Success Is That It's True". That's why people both laugh and Cry about it... :laugh:

Kawaii Ryűkishi
10-06-2006, 10:56 AM
For The Love Of The Widow, How do I so easily piss you people of EOFF off so easily?

I can can only guess that it's this: The Secret of Comedy's Success Is That It's True". That's why people both laugh and Cry about it... :laugh:It actually has more to do with the way you like to belittle people whose opinions differ from yours.
If that offends you; deal with it. :laugh:Yeah, we have a way of doing that.

Pharoh Amon Khan III
10-06-2006, 11:06 AM
For The Love Of The Widow, How do I so easily piss you people of EOFF off so easily?.
I can can only guess that it's this: The Secret of Comedy's Success Is That It's True". That's why people both laugh and Cry about it... :laugh:It actually has more to do with the way you like to belittle people whose opinions differ from yours.
If that offends you; deal with it. :laugh:Yeah, we have a way of doing that.[/QUOTE]

And HOW am I belittling you all? I stated my opinion of the movie, not "You People", if you want to get into "belittling":laugh:

I mean, I saw the movie as BEGGIiNG for what I just stated. And yeah, I DID make these same statements after the premiere night at a theatre and I did make some people 'choke' on their 'proverbrial brownies'... :laugh:

Again, I'm not saying it was a "bad" movie, but it just didn't seem like a "Batman" movie to me...

It's an opinion bor-drakas! Get over it. Oh-Daya-Sin! How did I offend you; when I was "offending" the film? :laugh: ?

Kawaii Ryűkishi
10-06-2006, 11:13 AM
Well, it only took five years.

Ounome
10-06-2006, 11:44 AM
Shame on you. That didn't seem fair. He was funny. Oh well.

But anyway, I like Batman the animated series... yay.

The Fat Bioware Nerd
10-07-2006, 04:44 AM
I liked the one(s) with George Clooney, lol

Actually there was only ONE Batman movie starring George Clooney and that's Batman & Robin...Clooney was scheduled to star in a second Batman movie called Batman Triumphant but considering how much the public detested it's predecessor the project was abandoned.

Omnislash07
10-07-2006, 03:03 PM
I liked the one(s) with George Clooney, lol

Actually there was only ONE Batman movie starring George Clooney and that's Batman & Robin...Clooney was scheduled to star in a second Batman movie called Batman Triumphant but considering how much the public detested it's predecessor the project was abandoned.

Oh sorry i thought he was in Batman Forever also. I was joking anyway i hated both of those movies.

blackmage_nuke
10-07-2006, 03:58 PM
Batman is among one of the few super heroes (and acutally the only one i know) who doesnt actually have a super power

unless being awesome counts as a power

The Fat Bioware Nerd
10-07-2006, 04:00 PM
No that was Val Kilmer anyway you don't have to apologize the only reason why I corrected you was so I could this thread alive.

Madame Adequate
10-07-2006, 05:03 PM
Batman is the man who uses this;

http://www.superdickery.com/stupor/74.html

Sefie1999AD
10-07-2006, 08:32 PM
Batman is among one of the few super heroes (and acutally the only one i know) who doesnt actually have a super power

unless being awesome counts as a power

That's true, but he's also physically strong and intelligent. I've heard he could take out any enemy if he was given two weeks of time to prepare for that battle.

Batman is the man who uses this;

http://www.superdickery.com/stupor/74.html

I've seen that picture before, and yeah, it's relatively funny. :p

~SapphireStar~
10-09-2006, 02:11 PM
Michael Keaton all the way for me. Hes had 2 BM movies so far.