PDA

View Full Version : ff XI or WoW

Frozen Phantom
10-05-2006, 10:09 PM
i know its a weird question (and if this thread has been made before srry) but this is a question thats been eating me up for awhile.

The question is pretty obvious, Should I get WoW or ff XI

I have WoW and have played it awhile (used cards and my time's up for now so thats not a problem) and money isnt an issue. This is based solely on content.

So anyone have any suggestions????

Azure Chrysanthemum
10-05-2006, 10:35 PM
Since WoW isn't FF, I'm shooting this to General Gaming.

KentaRawr!
10-05-2006, 10:42 PM
But FF isn't WoW, either. o.o

Anyways, from what I hear, WoW is much easier than FFXI. I eventually quit FFXI due to this huge, open world being set to a strict little schedule I had to follow if I didn't want to die.

Rostum
10-05-2006, 10:44 PM
I've been playing FFXI for a few years, and I played WoW for about half a year. I like FFXI better. ^^

Ouch!
10-05-2006, 11:32 PM
I hate to use the word hardcore, but I suppose that sums FFXI up pretty well. It's a very demanding game. To get anywhere in the game, you have to clock a bunch of hours. It's biggest downfall, perhaps, is its somewhat limited lowbie-friendly events. Sure, there are things for lower level characters to do, but the things that make FFXI interesting aren't available until later. Until you get to level 30, there's not a whole lot for you to do other than a couple missions and some other random events that never garnered enough interest to attract the masses. Once you're beyond that point, though, the world of Vana'diel opens up more and more to you as you continue to level. FFXI has a bunch to do endgame, and, if you get bored with that, you can always level another job.

I'll admit I haven't played a lot of WoW, but I have a great deal of friends who do. It's a more casual game, as I understand it. Most classes can solo to the max level (60). You can play for an hour and get things done, while you have to sit down in front of FFXI for two or three to make any real progress. Recently my WoW-playing friends have been complaining about the lack of endgame material, too. Even still, WoW is probably a better game for most people.

Choose whichever suits you. I play FFXI because I love it, and I have the time to play it. If you don't have blocks of time in your schedule where you can sit down and play FFXI, I suggest WoW.

Frozen Phantom
10-06-2006, 01:41 AM
thanks all for the advice....actually i have tons of time open (so i might switch to ffXI but that wont be for awhile)

The major problem with FFXI is that unlike wow, you have to use a credit card in order to play (like alot of people im freaked out about identy thieft)

I might switch, since i conect alot with ff more than warcraft

thanks again for the info cya for now:)

Rostum
10-06-2006, 02:00 AM
Well, just a note, Square-Enix are a pretty reliable company when it comes to security. I admit it would be easier with game cards though...

Miriel
10-06-2006, 02:23 AM
I'd just like to say, that my personal experience with FFXI was different from what Ouch! was describing about the game's newbie friendliness. I've been playing the game for over 2 years and for a great bulk of that time, I was under level 30. I've only just started to breach the mid-level content and I gotta say, I had a great deal of fun in the beginning of the game.

No, you can't go to God fights or have access to end-game content, but there's still an immense world to explore right off the bat.

And if you meet good people and get into a friendly linkshell, there's tons to do even with a lowbie character. Level 1 death runs across VanaDiel, is a good example of something everyone could take part in. :p

I tried playing WoW but I did not like the community there. I think the best thing about FFXI is that there are a lot of great people playing the game who are helpful and fun and don't try and kill you.

Now I'm sure there are great people who play WoW, but from the time I spent playing the game, I didn't meet those people. And I'm sure you can play FFXI and meet a bunch of asshats, but that hasn't been my general experience.

Aside from the content, I just flat-out like the community in FFXI more.

Markus. D
10-06-2006, 04:24 AM
ive played both. n_n-b

got far in both. n_n-b

only stuck with one. n_n-b

FFXI has so much more depth in its battle system VSing WoW...

theres alot of things I like about both but uhhh, I like FFXI overall.

Ouch!
10-06-2006, 04:52 AM
I didn't mean to make the beginning of the game seem as if it was absolutely devoid of things to do. After all, I've been playing since the NA release (three year anniversery coming up in about three weeks) and I only got to level 60 two weeks ago. There's enough to keep you entertained, I'm just saying that most of the things that make FFXI really interesting aren't available until you've leveled up a bit.

Garland
10-06-2006, 05:22 AM
FFXI requires a group of players to get most things worth accomplishing accomplished. This is FFXI's best and worst point. The sense of teamwork is rewarding when you succeed, but having to rely on people, when many are anything but reliable, is frustrating. Fortunately, trial and error and word of mouth will do much to weed out future experiences with the less desirable players as you progress. You'll know the names of the scammers and event leeches, and you'll know the names of the cool players worth spending time with. Soon you'll have a large circle of friends and the forced social requirements turn from a curse to a blessing.

Erdrick Holmes
10-06-2006, 06:05 AM
Wait for Phantasy Star Universe, because that game will pretty much be what every Online RPG wants to be. It'll at some point beat up WoW and FFXI and take it's lunch money.

Lionx
10-06-2006, 07:01 AM
One of the things i like about FFXI are its cutscenes, and its storyline...as well as a in general more better community. And well..i see people play WoW...its alot easier to get things, the skillups are really quick..like per second from lvl 1-300-ish...in FFXI you have to set up a time block to skill weapons and not every hit skils up..and if it does its not like lvl 1=>2...its lvl 1.3..=> lvl 1.4=> lvl 1.7 or something like that. So things worth more in FFXI in general i feel. However the GUI in WoW is alot better imo...

FFXI - Hardcore, more time spent, rewards are not as apprarent, however story is great and accomplishment sinks it deeper imo.

As for PSU i will reserve judgement until it comes out, but there is alot of hype.

Markus. D
10-06-2006, 10:48 AM
PSU will pwn if they rid of hackers.

Erdrick Holmes
10-06-2006, 11:18 AM
The online game will be pretty much hack-free from what I heard since they're getting more admins on to make a clean slate from the lack of admins that made PSO-pre Blue Burst hell to play on. Hackers blow, which is why I quit playing Diablo 2.

Markus. D
10-06-2006, 12:27 PM
they need the game gaurd program, like all hack free-ish online games do!

Frozen Phantom
10-06-2006, 01:06 PM
ty all for info. pretty good chance im getting FFXI

and for a seperate note Lionx i like your sig. the klonoa games, not enough people have heard of them, let alone played them both.

Rinion
10-06-2006, 08:23 PM
World of Warcraft is a lot more linear, and easier to fly through. I don’t know about Final Fantasy X, my Playstation busted up before I got a chance to try it out.

But I enjoy Warcraft for the sheer fact that you can do what you want. However, looking around and seeing half the population being level sixty (the level cap) is somewhat discouraging. Mainly, because being the best is not hard to get to, and being the best is not uncommon. My two gold pieces.

Lionx
10-06-2006, 09:06 PM
I personally think that as long as its an MMO there will be hackers. >> FFXI is primarily server side and theres still crap about it by cheaters...same for WoW i would believe. To think theres no hackers is quite folly imo.

OP: Thanks, Omecle made it for me. ^^ I love the games...played all but the volleyball one...its forever my favorite game...theres just something about it that keeps me loving it again and again. Klo represent <3

Madame Adequate
10-06-2006, 09:23 PM
Oh wow, this isn't even a contest.

WoW.

Shlup
10-06-2006, 09:31 PM
I would rather play FFXI. The WoW art just annoys me. One of the reasons I play Guild Wars is because it's gorgeous.

Frozen Phantom
10-06-2006, 10:07 PM
origionaly said by Lionx

played all but the volleyball one...

theres a volleyball one?!?!?!? i only played the ps1 and ps2 ones

Freya
10-06-2006, 11:42 PM
I own both. I don't like FF11, it's hard to lvl, The changing of jobs bugs me, the community is rude, and you can't hop around. WoW is a lot easier and a lot more friendly peopl. Also a lot more people to call you a noob but there's the Jump button(if you can't tell already i'm a hopin' alliance character)

WoW all the way.

Markus. D
10-07-2006, 02:17 AM

WoW.

actually your one of the very few to choose WoW.

Madame Adequate
10-07-2006, 02:53 AM

WoW.

actually your one of the very few to choose WoW.

I won't pull the old "appeal to majority" card, but yeah, I don't think that comment stands up to scrutiny.

Frozen Phantom
10-07-2006, 03:30 AM
wow the magic of the forum....its hard to tell who the hell is right and who the hell is wrong.....Some say FFXI is a great game, while others say it sucks.

this is going to be harder than i thought

Ouch!
10-07-2006, 04:36 AM
I own both. I don't like FF11, it's hard to lvl, The changing of jobs bugs me, the community is rude, and you can't hop around. WoW is a lot easier and a lot more friendly peopl. Also a lot more people to call you a noob but there's the Jump button(if you can't tell already i'm a hopin' alliance character)

WoW all the way.
That's exactly the opposite what I hear from almost everyone, even WoW players. A majority of my friends play WoW, and every one of them agrees that the player base is full of dicks, idiots, and otherwise incapable people--moreso than other games, anyway. They play the game because they enjoy it and have their own group of friends to play with. They've admitted they wouldn't enjoy it if they couldn't play with people they know. My favorite thing about Final Fantasy XI is that I don't have to do everything exclusively with my close group of friends.

The only problem I see with Final Fantasy XI's community is that it's very elitist. Most experienced players don't have the patience for newbies, and they don't go out of their way to help anyone. I don't see very many people being rude to others, but that doesn't mean they aren't out there. They're in every game; some just have more than others.

Miriel
10-07-2006, 04:37 AM
Well. The FFXI community has me, and I'm not elitist and I looooove newbies. C'mere newbies! *cuddles*

Rogue
10-07-2006, 05:23 AM
go with FFXI its so fun u will love it

Madame Adequate
10-07-2006, 10:51 AM
That's exactly the opposite what I hear from almost everyone, even WoW players. A majority of my friends play WoW, and every one of them agrees that the player base is full of dicks, idiots, and otherwise incapable people--moreso than other games, anyway. They play the game because they enjoy it and have their own group of friends to play with. They've admitted they wouldn't enjoy it if they couldn't play with people they know. My favorite thing about Final Fantasy XI is that I don't have to do everything exclusively with my close group of friends.

Honestly, that's not the same as my experience. I met a handful of nice people playing FFXI, and was in a couple of decent Linkshells, but overall I found the players to be impatient and elitist. (And I don't blame them, it can take an hour to get a party together for basic grinding, if you do that and someone has to go after two fights I'd be pissed as well.) WoW players are arrogant and care about e-peens, but I've found it a lot easier to actually get into a good guild there. I've been in more good than bad.

Really though, it's a question of personal preference in gameplay. I like WoW a huge amount more than any other MMO; only EVE Online and City of Heroes have ever taken time away from WoW for me. FFXI was fun to begin with, but I just couldn't handle the complete and utter dependance on other players which the game, at least in my experience, entailed - I commonly heard reports of people at higher levels who were magic classes being killed in a fight with an enemy "Too weak to yield experience" or whatever it is it says. I like to party, but I want the option of not doing so, which most MMOs that aren't FFXI offer to a much greater degree than FF.

That said, FFXI has a couple of things I really like about it. Crafting is more fun there for the most part, for example (WoW's is still nice, though) and owning a house is pretty cool. The fact there is a storyline, told through cutscenes, is pretty cool as well - WoW's storyline to date has largely consisted of taking a gigantic dump over the earlier Warcraft lore. And when you do get a really great FFXI party together - which I can only genuinely remember occuring once - it's something special. We breezed through absolutely everything with bugger all downtime (<333 bards) and it was swish.

Frozen Phantom
10-07-2006, 03:25 PM
i know first hand that a few wow chars are dicks.... so saying isnt a shocker to me....

For christmas ill get FFXI and use its free 1 month to see if i like it...if i like it more than wow, then ill keep it...If wow is better ill stick with that

~SapphireStar~
10-09-2006, 02:24 PM
WoW for me. Havent played it since July, but Ive had more fun playing it then FFOnline.

bipper
10-09-2006, 03:18 PM
if you are 8 years old, you will fit in perfectly wiht 98% of WOW's population. So many freakin kids. Led me to leave the game. I now play RF online, which is a simple game, but fun to say the least.

Dr. Acula
10-14-2006, 05:08 AM
I can't judge FF11 as I've never played it (I want to though- TaruTaru look SO cute!:love: ) but with WoW, I've never had any problems with other players. Runescape has the most jerks in it, hands down.
But, mainly, if you're nice to other people, they'll be nice to you. Sure there are some dickheads there, but there are some in every game.

Araciel
10-14-2006, 05:09 AM
just played WoW today....so far it's fun...but agreed most of the players are less than encouraging

never played FF11

Freya
10-14-2006, 06:14 AM

WoW all the way.

The only problem I see with Final Fantasy XI's community is that it's very elitist. Most experienced players don't have the patience for newbies, and they don't go out of their way to help anyone. I don't see very many people being rude to others, but that doesn't mean they aren't out there. They're in every game; some just have more than others.
Well at first i did have trouble with the community of wow but then once I started to learn about it I realized that I was a noob to it. The reason people are mad is because if you don't know what to do then you die and people dont like to die. Takes too much to repair.
On WoW i've had more higher lvls help me then I ever had in FFXI. They are more inclined to help it seems. Yet that can be from the more players. Though don't ask after 5, that's raid time. lol
One thing Wow has over FFXI, is that you don't have to grind for hours to lvl, then die and have to do it all over again. You get many many quests you can do, now not saying it isn't time consuming to do said quests, it's just more fun and a different approach than slaughtering everything.

Rostum
10-14-2006, 07:10 AM
You don't actually lose that much experience points in FFXI when you die, maybe a few kills and you get it back (especially since they've done updates on that aspect), so that point is pretty moot now.

Also, I've found the community in FFXI much more helpful and friendly, than compared to the time I spent on WoW with all those damn kids. I also think the quest system can get just as boring and repetitive as grinding off mobs, but that's just me I guess. *shrug*

Del Murder
10-14-2006, 07:14 AM
I only play FFXI, because I'm a Final Fantasy fanboy.

Samuraid
10-14-2006, 07:24 AM
While I don't play either game (and no MMORPG games for that matter), I will say that this topic will likely have an overwhelming majority in favor of FFXI. This is a Final Fantasy forum after all. :p

Coronet
10-16-2006, 04:33 PM
It boils down to one thing. How much free time do you have?

XI requires a ton of time as it takes forever to do anything. I played it for ~2 years during high school when I had a ridiculous amount of free time.

WoW is more casual. You can solo the game if you want and log in for 5 minutes and still get something accomplished.

My personal favorite? XI by far. That game is crack.

m4tt
10-16-2006, 05:39 PM
Coming from someone who quit FFXI to start up WoW, I say it's more up to your style of play.

FFXI is a lot more demanding time-wise IMO. You can't just log on and get things done within 10 minutes. If you want to level you pretty much HAVE to party. And just finding a party can sometimes take hours for certain jobs. But that's just if your main concern is leveling. You can do other stuff, crafting, questing, whatever. The graphics are very nice, and the cutscenes really do add a lot to the story.

WoW is different. You don't have to depend on other people to do a lot of things. You feel like leveling? Go for it! I think every class can solo pretty easily. My main is a level 46 hunter, and I know they can solo well. And several people in my guild solo a lot, priests, warriors, shaman's, rogues. But there are quite a few things that need groups. Instance dungeons for example, and tons of quests are hard to do on your own. And something I heard a lot about when I played FFXI: The graphics in WoW are awful. Well I disagree. They are different than FFXI's style, but I like them. The pvp in WoW is a lot better than FFXI's pvp. And the fact that the horde and the alliance cannot communicate at all is really neat. One big downside though is that almost 8 million people play this game, and during certain times of the day it can be a hassle just to log in. If your realm is popular you could be in a que for 10-20 minutes. I know my realm, which is still pretty new, has somehow become the 4th most popular realm, and there's a que almost every night to log in.

Anyway, it's up to the way you like to play games. I prefer WoW's style.

escobert
10-16-2006, 06:01 PM
Wait for Phantasy Star Universe, because that game will pretty much be what every Online RPG wants to be. It'll at some point beat up WoW and FFXI and take it's lunch money.

Guild wars is ALREADY that. just without the high levels and godly items. Everything else in guild wars is what the other MMOs want to be.

bipper
10-16-2006, 06:20 PM

Guild wars is ALREADY that. just without the high levels and godly items. Everything else in guild wars is what the other MMOs want to be.

I have yet to see an above par MMO. I don't think that your subjective views fit that of what the large scale companies want thier mmos to be. There are industry pavers, and I have yet to see one mmo get it right. At least, to the point that I am sold into thinking it is anything above par. WoW and RF online are both on my list at them moment, as being very fun games. DAOC was prolly the best pvp mmo I have played to date. Still, I give WoW the highest score wwith a 5/10 score. Mainly for its lore. Everything else is hooribly sub par.