PDA

View Full Version : The extinction of mogs and the lost civilization at Goug.

MogThief
10-07-2006, 12:46 PM
Have you ever wondered why moogles became extinct and the lost civilization at Goug mysteriously vanished? I'm currently working on a rationale as to why moogles no longer existed, and believe me, it's not easy. I mean, the game does not go into detail about moogles at all. The only thing I can do is find clues and draw up inferences.

Ok, now I'm going to get into the meat of my post. So, how does a well-developed civilization, with technologically advanced weapons and machinery, just fade away? After some thinking, I came up with a theory: one of the holy stone's power, unleashed by an unknown entity who consistently abused its power for personal gain, destroyed the whole civilization, as well as the people who inhabitated it(remember, the stone's actions are dependant upon the person's heart). It may sound silly to some people, but you have to consider two things: 1) What the holy stones can do. We already know they transformed humans into zodiac beasts, revived Malak from the dead, conjured up a wave that engulfed some king's castle(I know the description is vague. I think I read about this in the Germonik Scriptures. Could someone inform me if my interpretation is incorrect?) and, amusingly enough, talk. Who knows what else they can do? 2) The holy stone's prevalence and utilization during that time period, as evident in Worker 7 and Worker 8. Therefore, because of the accessibility to the stones, using them for the wrong purposes is more likely, resulting in a devastating scenario.

As I understand, FF12, which I have not played yet, is suppose to be Ivalice's past, so maybe that game could give us more information. Anyway, post your comments/thoughts and theories on these topics.

feioncastor
10-07-2006, 04:56 PM
They're called "Moogles". Mog is the name of a recurring moogle in the games. He's the only noteworthy moogle in FF6, and I think the only one in FF7. I'm not sure where you see Mog in FF8, 9 and 10.

Anyway, you have an interesting theory. I suppose it does hold up, based on what we know of the game. There are a lot of inferences, but as you said, that's all you can do.

Wouldn't that be trippy if in FF12 you get to go to old Goug before it was all screwed? I know it's set in Ivalice, but so was FFTA and it had little in common with FFT's setting.

God, I can't wait for FFXII!!!

Bahamut2000X
10-08-2006, 04:45 AM
For the mog debate. He's only in 6. 7 the only moogle is Cait Siths riding moogle, which they call a mog, as with all other moogles. Just horrible translation really. There's none in 8, and I don't recall a Mog in 9. 10 also lacked moogles as well. Although I think there was a Mog in 5. But I could be wrong. Been a while since I played it all the way through.

Anyone back to the main topic....I never got that far in FFT so I dunno....sure? >.>

dodhungry
10-08-2006, 04:58 AM
I always thought of the "destroyed" city under Gouge to be Midgar...that is kinda how I explained the whole Cloud and Time Machine thing...I just dont have any proof to back this up on...nor the means to dig.

but what you have is a great theory though. i give it two thumbs up.

My name is...something..?
10-08-2006, 07:13 AM
For the mog debate. He's only in 6. 7 the only moogle is Cait Siths riding moogle, which they call a mog, as with all other moogles. Just horrible translation really. There's none in 8, and I don't recall a Mog in 9. 10 also lacked moogles as well. Although I think there was a Mog in 5. But I could be wrong. Been a while since I played it all the way through.

Anyone back to the main topic....I never got that far in FFT so I dunno....sure? >.>

Off topic:
Mog is in FF VI as a playable character.
Mog is in FF VII in that little mini game at Gold Saucer.
Mog is in FF VIII as a summon.
Mog is in FF IX as a save moogle(or was it Eiko's moogle?)
:)

ON topic:
The theory on Goug's destruction seems valid, and there's no way to disprove it based on the little info we have.

I always thought that they just got a little too technologically advanced for their own good and pretty much doomed themselves.
Ex:Created a machine of some sort that went haywire and caused a massive explosion or something of that nature.:choc2:

As for the moogles: We see in FFTA that moogles like to mess around in technology so it wouldn't be impossible to believe that a majority of the moogle population lived in Goug and when whatever happened happened, most of them were killed off and they just slowly died out after that because they had a limited ability to reproduce.
Poor moogles.:(

MogThief
10-08-2006, 09:22 PM
As for the moogles: We see in FFTA that moogles like to mess around in technology so it wouldn't be impossible to believe that a majority of the moogle population lived in Goug and when whatever happened happened, most of them were killed off and they just slowly died out after that because they had a limited ability to reproduce.
Poor moogles.:(

I thought about that, too, but I remembered that Moogles lived in Sweegy Woods as well. So far, I came up with the Black Plague that wiped out the Moogles. I'm going to dwell into it a little further. Maybe it could have been both the destruction at Goug and the Black Plague...

It's nice to see all the interesting theories about what happened to the lost civilization at Goug. They all seem valid. I know there has to be more clues somewhere in the game, epecially in the job quests.

Bahamut2000X
10-09-2006, 12:19 AM
[ooc] About FFVII, read the manual, under Cait Sith's thing. They say he rides a giant stuff mog. And in the minigame, if I recall they call them all mogs. And through out the game they just call them all mogs, not moogles. Which greatly upsets me at that horrible mistranslation. T_T

As for VIII. I can't seem to recall him as a summon. I know not as a standard GF at the very least.

And IX, yeah I forgot about Eiko's buddy with the yellow pom-pom instead of the standard red ones.

Been ages since I've played any of them all the way through to remember all this. :p [\ooc]

On topic, good theories. Makes me wanna play FFT...if only I hadn't let a friend borrow it....then if he hadn't moved to the other side of the state for college. >.>

feioncastor
10-09-2006, 02:30 AM
About letting the friend borrow it... Same happend to me with my original FFT copy. Now I have a greatest hits copy. But he let me borrow Chrono Trigger, and I got to keep that.

vorpal blade
10-09-2006, 11:16 AM
Moogles are neat:
FFII: had beavers, but no moogles, kupo.
FFIII, FFV, FFTA: had moogles, but no Mog.
FFIV: No moogles
FFVI, FFIX: Moogles, one named Mog.
FFVII: No real moogles, but one in a summon (Choco/Mog), in the game (Mog House) and a toy with Cait Sith. A girl in AC has a Moogle doll.
FFVIII: A GF called mini-mog.
FFX/X-2: Only as a doll and Yuna's Mascot dressphere.

As for Goug, that's a very interesting theory, MogThief, but I figured their technology destroyed them, as previously mentioned by My name is...something..?
Never thought about the moogles.

BG-57
10-09-2006, 12:35 PM
If you peruse the propositions, you can find many reasons the ancient civilizations fell:

Falgabird: Said to be the village where magic swordsman hide. Because magic swords shorten the life of the user. The number of swordsmen steadily decreased. Now, all that remains are empty houses.

Ronkan Ruins: At its height, the Ronkan empire covered the world. But because of a mysterious disease, the entire civilization was destroyed. Today, only an empty castle remains quietly floating.

Castle of Trials: In the past, this was military school for the Baron's kingdom. An exceptional group of pilots called "Red Wing" graduated from this academy. Even a great institute like this is now destroyed.

Magic Continent: Once, believed to be the gate to either heaven or hell. Recently scolars agree it is the result of a great impact caused by collapse of the floating stone within the earth.

Floating Castle: Winged men once knew how to create floating rocks. The same technology was used for this castle. But with the disappearance of winged men, this technology was also lost.

Forbidden Land Eureka: According to legend, Eureka was the once prosperous capital of the Kashuka kingdom, which collapsed due to the enormous debt of the royal family. Today, it's a ghost town, a memory of its past glory.

aerithsloveslave
10-09-2006, 03:59 PM
As for VIII. I can't seem to recall him as a summon. I know not as a standard GF at the very least.

You have to use the Japan-only PocketStation to unlock him.

Back on topic, I do hope that there are some in-depth references towards FFT in FF12, but I doubt it will happen.

vorpal blade
10-10-2006, 10:02 AM
I don't know. I think I'd like light references that make the player guess and speculate about wheter it is the same Ivalice.

And moogles don't self-destruct do they? 'Cause that could wipe 'em out. Or maybe they were eaten by Chocobos.

Zechs
10-11-2006, 04:09 AM
I always thought they destroyed themselves. Kind of like the Aztecs.
Or just enough for a rival to defeat. Maybe something with the Holy Zodiac Stones or the past Braves.