PDA

View Full Version : Old Movies

Rocket Edge
10-07-2006, 06:10 PM
I personally think they were better made back then. They had a certain feel to them that made it very easy & relaxing to watch, as well as being engaging & entertaining.
My favourite old movies are '12 Angry Men', 'The Apartment', & 'It's a Wonderful Life'..

So what old movies did you enjoy watching?

Madame Adequate
10-07-2006, 06:12 PM
The Day The Earth Stood Still is probably my fave.

Citizen Kane rates highly as well.

Night of the Living Dead, of course :p

The Seven Samurai is classic, but hell, it's Kurosawa. He could probably draw patterns of more beauty in the snow with his pee than most people could do with any art medium and ten years with unlimited funding.

Rocket Edge
10-07-2006, 06:16 PM
The Seven Samurai is classic, but hell, it's Kurosawa. He could probably draw patterns of more beauty in the snow with his pee than most people could do with any art medium and ten years with unlimited funding.
That's very true, he's a genius, and your right, it is a classic.

I Took the Red Pill
10-07-2006, 06:19 PM
Some Like it Hot, To Kill A Mockingbird, and It's A Wonderful Life are probably my favorites.

Burtsplurt
10-07-2006, 06:28 PM
I'm not sure they're better per se, but there are some great examples. And I'm going to have to agree with some of those already mentioned...

The Birds
12 Angry Men
Vertigo
Night of the Living Dead - still scares me :(
Strangers on a Train (I like Hitchcock)
Seven Samurai

I'd really like to watch some film noirs. Need to watch out for them on TV.

Sefie1999AD
10-07-2006, 08:40 PM
I think The Wizard of Oz was an amazing movie. Great music (Somewhere over the Rainbow...) and musical scenes, a lot of emotional moments, likable characters and an enchanting fantasy adventure.

XxSephirothxX
10-07-2006, 09:20 PM
Casablanca. The Big Sleep. The Maltese Falcon. Bogart ftw.

Skarr
10-07-2006, 09:21 PM
I don't know if M*A*S*H counts, but I loved it.

fantasyjunkie
10-07-2006, 10:31 PM
Maltez Falcon
The lost patrol
Wizard of Oz(The ending where Dorthy said goodbye to her friends in OZ was a tear jerker)
12 angry men was just plain outstanding
Something about today's movies are just missing something. I can't quiet place it

Markus. D
10-07-2006, 10:39 PM
Monkey!

*hops on a cloud and graphittis the sky for awhile*

Captain Maxx Power
10-07-2006, 10:47 PM
It baffles me how nearly any movie in black and white is automatically labelled a masterpiece. I watch most of them and am usually bored to death by the slow pacing of dialogue, poor acting and lack of inventive cinematography. I think it's just because most movies brought out today are made purely for money, and is a reflection of our own times in which we ourselves don't feel comfortable. Chances are that the plethora of movies made 30's/40's/50's were made for exactly the same purpose, but because we've moved on as a society, looking back on these films gives us a kind of jaded view of the past and of a more pleasant era without the likes of Global Warming, Terrorism, Obesity "time-bombs", dwindling natural resources and so on.

Rostum
10-08-2006, 01:48 AM
I think The Third Man was a very artsy kind of black and white (I can't remember the name to describe that). To me it was a pretty interesting story with a few star actors.

Madame Adequate
10-08-2006, 02:07 AM
Maxx, there are thousands and thousands of movies from the old days most of us will never even hear of, let alone consider masterpieces. We're just discussing here the old ones which DO happen to be awesome. There are some of those from then, just as there are some of those from now.

My_car_is_faster_than_you
10-08-2006, 02:21 AM
I was a huge fan of the Back to the Future series and Ferris Buellers day off. Since movies back then (depends what you mean by that), such as the 80's and 90's were made a heck of a lot better than they are now. I'd much rather see an old James Bond flick than xXx because the actors and actresses had to compensate for the lack of technology.

There are still good movies out there now, but there are more and more junk ones that are polluting the shelves because creating them (cameras and editing software) has become more accessible to the public, hence, many low budget pieces of junk are being produced.

Odaisé Gaelach
10-08-2006, 02:25 AM
Psycho.

:love:

El Bandito
10-08-2006, 07:27 AM
Il buono, il brutto, il cattivo (The Good, the Bad and The Ugly)

Rocket Edge
10-08-2006, 01:11 PM
Oh and how could i forget Agatha Christie's 'Death on the Nile'.

forgottenmemory
10-09-2006, 03:45 AM
mostly the diseny old movies were the best! YAAA!!

1.Plunder and Lighting1-4!
2.Jungle Book
3.Beauty and the Beast
4.Aladdin
5.Sleeping Beauty
6.Peter Pan
7.Snow White

All the Old Diseny Movies!!!! :greenie:

~SapphireStar~
10-09-2006, 12:41 PM
12 Angry Men
Death on the Nile
The Odd Couple
The Good, The Bad & The Ugly

Rainecloud
10-09-2006, 01:28 PM
"Lost Horizon" is one of the greatest movies of all time, despite its ancient, black and white status. If you've read or heard of the book, you'll know what I mean. It tells the tale of Robert Conway (not the professional wrestler) and a plane-full of passengers who crash in the Tibetan mountains and stumble across a society of people living in a hidden valley called Shangri'la. In the valley is a wonderful secret that man has been looking for since the dawn of time.

It's a truly amazing film with an incredible and emotional story. The acting is superb, the dialogue is second-to-none, and some scenes of the movie put nearly all of the recent Hollywood blockbusters to shame.

Roto13
10-09-2006, 02:25 PM
I don't think old movies are inherently better than new ones. Especially horror movies, minus the Hitchcock masterpieces. :P

That's not to say that old movies are bad, but they have their problems. Like acting. -_- The great actors of the past don't sound natural at all. Unless people actually sounded like that in the 40's. I dunno.

Meat Puppet
10-09-2006, 02:41 PM
I'm with forgottenmemory on this one. Except for Aladdin and Beauty and the Beast, because I saw them at the theatre when they were new (I guess that makes them pretty recent when compared to movies like Jungle Book and Peter Pan?).

I also like The Wizard of Oz. Even though that one lion has always scared the crap out of me.

NeoCracker
10-09-2006, 02:49 PM
Doesn't get much better than the Rocky Horror Picture Show. Some of the things that go on in that movie are far scarrier than any current Horror Show.

aquatius
10-09-2006, 05:02 PM
Rebecca is still one of my fave movies.

Dreddz
10-09-2006, 05:13 PM
The Thing From Another Planet, Alfie ( 1966 version ), A Clockwork Orange and The Exorcist. I dunno how far back you'll call old, but the 80's action movies when Arnie was at his peak is cinema at its best.

I don't think old movies are inherently better than new ones. Especially horror movies, minus the Hitchcock masterpieces. :P

The Shining wasnt done by Hitchcock, and is better than todays crap. And any of Hitchcocks work.

Shiny
10-10-2006, 04:00 AM
All of Alford Hitchcock's movies.

Miriel
10-10-2006, 04:13 AM
Man, some of the ones you people are mentioning are not OLD movies. :p

Ummm, Dr. Strangelove is a favorite. Breakfast at Tiffany's, Casablanca, The Sound of Music, Roman Holiday, North by Northwest. There are lots of great old movies. Lots of sucky ones too. But it's always good to broaden one's cinematic horizens and look past just the movies that came out recent years. :)

kikimm
10-10-2006, 04:30 AM
Yeah, Some Like It Hot. I loved that movie. Normally I hate the cross-dressing thing, but for some reason I loved it here. I got to watch it in a class last year - we actually watched a lot of old movies! I didn't like a whole lot of them though. ;P

I love Marilyn Monroe.

Dr Unne
10-10-2006, 04:49 AM
The Ten Commandments. Clash of the Titans. Masada. Those last two are old enough to be considered old in my book.