PDA

View Full Version : Draw/Cast Damage

LunarWeaver
10-08-2006, 12:42 AM
I have some nice magic junctioned to my Magic stat, and even Magic +20% on, but the damage seems to be totally random. Sometimes it does 90 damage and sometimes it does 400 (I'm still near the beginning so no big numbers just yet).

I thought, 'Alright, it's resistances or something'. But cure is the same. Sometimes it heals for very little, and sometimes it heals for a lot.

So what's the deal with Draw/Cast? Does it randomize to make the game more balanced, am I the only one with this problem, and will this thread just end up being about ridiculous theories as I secretly hope because they amuse me?

And for the record, I already know this is not the best way to do damage. But I have no life and I've played this game enough times to make you snort at me, so junctioning to STR and clicking attack or using GF a lot isn't really breakin' the monotany for me anymore. Just trying to play it differently :jess:

So the first person to say "Use squall limit break 4 dmg not magic" gets a dunce hat and a poke in the cranium. And the first person to say it because I told them not to say it gets their oreo cookie taken away.

rubah
10-08-2006, 12:44 AM
Are you draw-casting off the same monsters or different ones? It may have to do with the enemy's magic stats. I've noticed that draw-cast magic can be pretty erratic, like Demi not always being demi'ish and doing as much damage as it ought

LunarWeaver
10-08-2006, 12:48 AM
I've done a bit of experimenting with different types. Like drawing off one monster and attacking another in different combinations. To me it still seems all over the place with no rhyme and reason at all, but maybe it is based off their Magic stat and I'm just not noticing properly. Right now I'm stuck in Timber with only Galbadian soldiers around, and I've tried Draw/Casting Thunder off them repeatedly. It's bouncing from 86 to 388 to who knows what else.

I had the same problem with demi when I fought Diablos and was casting it off him. Once I got around 200 HP and thought he must almost be dead so I started attacking... But he wasn't dying, so I demi'd again and it hit for over 2000...:shifty:

My "Make Rinoa bad-ass with magic" plans may have to be abandoned if I can't get a grasp on this crazy business ;_;

Rantz
10-08-2006, 12:58 AM
Yeah, Draw-cast is pretty random, effect-wise.

I think it's because of Adel. When she's in outer space she disrupts radio waves, right? She probably disrupt magic waves too, when they are drawn. I also believe she is the reason to why Cactuars flee all the time. :shifty:

Xurts
10-08-2006, 02:33 AM
Drawing and casting magic always is random. It has little to do with the enemy's stats or yours. It's just random like that. Stocking drawn magic and then casting it eliminates the randomness and is much more reliable.

blackmage_nuke
10-08-2006, 04:22 AM
I think its like when you draw magic sometimes you get 5 spells sometimes you get 1, and thats the amount that's cast. Maybe

Or you could use lionheart (I've never had an oreo :()

rubah
10-08-2006, 05:33 AM
You ought to have whored your first three GFs out when you had seifer and levelled them up to oblivion :( Then you'd have some magic refinin' abilities!

You can make her badass with magic, but it's much easier at the tail end of disk three :p