PDA

View Full Version : Some more PS2 games

Rostum
10-08-2006, 11:45 AM
Well, I'm looking to buy a few PS2 games. I've got Xenosaga III ordered (released on 15th), and I'm looking for a few more to keep me occupied until FFXII gets released (probably Feb 2007).

I was thinking of these games, if someone wants to comment on one or the other:

- Suikoden 5
- Tales of the Abyss
- Disgeae 2 (never played first)

And I'm still debating on these two:

- Digital Devil Saga (I know I should get this, but want some more info)
- Magnacarta: Tears of Blood (Looks good, but must be dull?)

I know I asked this before, but that was awhile ago (also, I already have CC, FF7, 8, 9, 10, 10-X, KH1, KH2, DQ8, SO3, Xenosaga 1+2).

Raebus
10-08-2006, 11:49 AM
Suikoden V - YES YES, OH GOD YES.

Ahem, it's the best rpg I've played in a long time with a great story and characters, you have to buy it. It makes up for suikoden 4.

Madame Adequate
10-08-2006, 11:50 AM
Suikoden V is the best game on that list. It doesn't need debate; get it, play it, love it.

I liked Magna Carta a lot, but a lot of people don't. It was my then-girlfriend's copy, and she traded it in, so I've not ever got all the way through it or anything. The amount I did play was largely good, however.

Raebus
10-08-2006, 11:51 AM
Maga Carta was interesting, you eventually get used to the battle system and it had a neat story, I lost interest though.

Madame Adequate
10-08-2006, 11:59 AM
Just pre-ordered Destroy All Humans! 2 because, well, it's gonna be awesome. It should keep me busy in the week or two before FFXII arrives.

I keep hoping Videogames+ will screw up and dispatch FFXII like, right now :(

Dreddz
10-08-2006, 12:09 PM
Out of those three, I'd say Suikoden V. I'd imagine Disgaea 2 to be pretty good also, but I havent played it yet.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
10-08-2006, 12:20 PM
Okami. It's at least as epic and endearing as any Zelda game, with a unique atmosphere rooted in Japanese mythology.

Rostum
10-08-2006, 12:26 PM
Suikoden V - YES YES, OH GOD YES.

Suikoden V is the best game on that list.

Out of those three, I'd say Suikoden V.

Okay, well that's settled, I'll get it.

Okami. It's at least as epic and endearing as any Zelda game, with a unique atmosphere rooted in Japanese mythology.

I completely forgot about this game, I'll have to check up on it!

Maga Carta was interesting, you eventually get used to the battle system and it had a neat story, I lost interest though.

I liked Magna Carta a lot, but a lot of people don't. It was my then-girlfriend's copy, and she traded it in, so I've not ever got all the way through it or anything. The amount I did play was largely good, however.

I'm still not really sure, it does look nice in terms of graphics and design though.

If anyone has more to add, that'd be great, especially on Tales of Abyss and Disgeae 2. ^^

Madame Adequate
10-08-2006, 12:43 PM
With Magna Carta, you can definitely tell it was made by men, though :jess: Heh, the artwork is... interesting.

Raebus
10-08-2006, 12:46 PM
With Magna Carta, you can definitely tell it was made by men, though :jess: Heh, the artwork is... interesting.

http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/332/40371lzf0.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

:thumb:

Erdrick Holmes
10-08-2006, 03:09 PM
Phantasy Star Universe <----------- You REALLY need to get this.
Shin Megami Tensei Digital Devil Saga

Saku
10-08-2006, 03:34 PM
Phantasy Star Universe <----------- You REALLY need to get this.
Shin Megami Tensei Digital Devil Saga

Yes, YES! get these two games too!

Disgeaia 2... tis a fun game, if you like strat games. Storyline is comical and has its moments. I'd suggest getting the first one to see how you like it and then move on to the second, since there are some things better understood when you've beaten the first game.

Tales of the Abyss is very good. I played with multiplayer, so I'm not sure how great the AI is. Its storyline is pretty good, and once you get used to a few controls the battles are fun as well. I have the Japanese version... so I don't know if they'll change anything like they did with Symphonia....

Erdrick Holmes
10-08-2006, 03:49 PM
Suikoden V, while being a fantastic game I really could only play through it once, to be honest. It drags for awhile.

Anywho, I also recommend the Silent Hill games, Metal Gear Solid 2 and 3, Guilty Gear XX #Reload (If you live in the PAL region), Virtua Fighter 4, and King of Fighters XI (again, PAL).

Ashi
10-08-2006, 05:11 PM
I didn't enjoy Magna Carta as much as I thought I would. The battles were fun, except something about the elements confused me which made them a little less fun in later stages :confused: There was some part that I couldn't even get past because I wasn't doing any damage at all. Friends wondered how I even got there not knowing anything about the element changing thing.

Atelier Iris Eternal Mana is good. But it is not new. I did not play Atelier Iris 2 yet, but the friends who recommended the first one to me did say they enjoyed the second one better.

People also seem to like Disgaea/Disgaea 2 but I can't recommend them since I don't really like SRP games.

Radiata Stories; brilliant. Fast battle system, many ways to advance in the game which gives it a high replay value in my opinion. There are also extra things to go through when you're done with the game.

Rostum
10-09-2006, 12:52 AM
Thanks for the replies.

-PSU, I don't think that comes out here until the end of the year. ;x

-Radiata Stories, although it looks very nice, I don't think it's even coming out here at all. ,_,

-I'm not a huge fan of SRP, I didn't even know Disgaea was like that, so meh.

-And Joel: I don't think I'm into the fighting games as much as you are, though I've been told to get Guilty Gear XX a fair few times, so I could consider it. ;D

I'm still considering Magnacarta, Digital Devil Saga and Tales of Abyss, moreso the later two of the three, thanks heaps for replies though. ^^

Edit: Atelier Iris 2 looks pretty cool, with my luck it won't be out here, but I'll have a look around. ^^ Is it a continuation of the first one? If so I might have to look around for the first as well.

RiseToFall
10-09-2006, 01:10 AM
-Magna Carta is a bit of a mess in terms of the battle system.

-Digital Devil Saga 1 and 2 are great.

-Don't know much about Tales of Abyss yet, but if it's anything like Symphonia, I would pick it up.

Zeromus_X
10-09-2006, 02:10 AM
I would recommend Valkyrie Profile: Silmeria, but I wouldn't know when it would be released for PAL regions.

Rostum
10-09-2006, 02:28 AM
Omg, I want Valkyrie Profile 2, but I have no clue when it'll be out in Australia. ,_, Oh such a cruel country.

Madame Adequate
10-09-2006, 02:50 AM
You guys get screwed over a surprising amount by the games industry =(

abrojtm
10-09-2006, 03:37 AM
I hated Suikoden V for its absolutely horrendous load times. I spent more time loading than playing.

Azure Chrysanthemum
10-09-2006, 04:24 AM
I highly recommend Disgaea 2 but I'm an SRPG nut and a Disgaea nut besides.

Just go here (http://eoffpost.akusui.net/readarticle.php?article_id=57) to see what I have to say about it. I'm not about to write it all out again.

Ashi
10-09-2006, 01:20 PM
I hated Suikoden V for its absolutely horrendous load times. I spent more time loading than playing.

Magna Carta's load times seemed to be something of an annoyance as well. I can't be too sure of whether it came with the game or something was wrong with my PS2.

~SapphireStar~
10-09-2006, 02:22 PM
- Digital Devil Saga (I know I should get this, but want some more info)
- Magnacarta: Tears of Blood (Looks good, but must be dull?)
DDS is IMO quite good. Im really enjoying it. However MagnaCarta does drag on for me and the battle system is sluggish.

Saku
10-09-2006, 05:13 PM
Atelier Iris 2 looks pretty cool, with my luck it won't be out here, but I'll have a look around. ^^ Is it a continuation of the first one? If so I might have to look around for the first as well.

Its actually a prequel to the first one. The second game takes place before Eternal Mana... I can't recall how many years it is before, but if you've played the first one... the adult called Iris is a child in the second one.

Magna Carta is a good game. It takes an aweful amount of strategy to beat as you can't just go into an area and hack and slash like a normal action RPG. It also switches between characters at times which potentially may become confusing at times. The other problem with Magna Carta is.... explore thoroughly.... you never know if you can ever come back to an area to get missed items.

FallenAngel411
10-09-2006, 06:14 PM
I second the vote for Okami. The game is gorgeous! :3

JKTrix
10-09-2006, 06:27 PM
While Okami wasn't on his RPG segregated list, it's definitely a game to get.

Magna Carta is 'above average' when it comes to RPGs, but it's definitely my lowest reccomendation on the list at the top of the page.

Markus. D
10-09-2006, 07:00 PM
I would try getting DIsgaea 1 first...

just because Disgaea 2 is a sequal and all.

Crossblades
10-09-2006, 07:17 PM
I preordered Tales of the Abyss. I never played it, but Japanese gamers praise that game as if it was God

JKTrix
10-09-2006, 07:40 PM
The Tales series is the 3rd most popular RPG series in Japan (behind FF and Dragon Quest), so I imagine there would be quite a bit of positive support in Japan.

Crossblades
10-09-2006, 11:14 PM
The Tales series is the 3rd most popular RPG series in Japan (behind FF and Dragon Quest), so I imagine there would be quite a bit of positive support in Japan.

True, but they consider Tales of the Abyss to be the best Tales game ever.

Slicksword45
10-12-2006, 09:37 PM
Heres a Video of tales of the Abyss: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYmoUPY9flk

I haven't gotten the game, but I want it :)

Zeromus_X
10-12-2006, 09:45 PM
By the way Omecle, what is your opinion on SO3? :cat:

LunarWeaver
10-12-2006, 09:49 PM
As a ridiculous Tales fan I must recommend everybody run out and get Tales of the Abyss. This statement comes with 100% fanboy bias.

Rostum
10-12-2006, 10:31 PM
By the way Omecle, what is your opinion on SO3? :cat:

I thought it was okay. I think there were a fair few parts of dialogue that felt like they just made it up on the spot as they were developing, which was kind of a bummer. I expected more from the battle system, but it was fairly decent. ^^

And yeah, I ended up pre-ordering Tales of Abyss, gotta take some chances I guess. ;D

JKTrix
10-13-2006, 12:40 PM
No clue when this game is supposed to come out in English, but this is one of my highly anticipated PS2 RPGs. I almost bought it while I was on vacation.

Rogue Galaxy
http://www.gamevideos.com/video/id/559

Made by Level 5, most popular for Dragon Quest 8 and Dark Cloud series. Also worked on True Fantasy Live Online (before Microsoft canned it) and the upcoming White Knight Story for PS3. Just a tease.

Rostum
10-13-2006, 01:41 PM
Wow, that looks very cool JKTrix!

Saku
10-13-2006, 06:21 PM

True, but they consider Tales of the Abyss to be the best Tales game ever.

Yeah JK... seriously... I need to get you to play it... for Christmas or April.... whichever time I decide I shall grace home with my presence.

SO3? Are we talking about Star Ocean 3?

JKTrix
10-13-2006, 06:25 PM
I know a great deal and am quite looking forward to the game. In fact, while I was in Japan, I bought Fujishima's artbook for the game (though I sold it to a friend who I forgot to get an artbook for).

The game came out this week in the US.

Dreddz
10-13-2006, 06:27 PM
No clue when this game is supposed to come out in English, but this is one of my highly anticipated PS2 RPGs. I almost bought it while I was on vacation.

Rogue Galaxy
http://www.gamevideos.com/video/id/559

Made by Level 5, most popular for Dragon Quest 8 and Dark Cloud series. Also worked on True Fantasy Live Online (before Microsoft canned it) and the upcoming White Knight Story for PS3. Just a tease.

Im buying Rogue Galaxy on the 11th of November, thats when it comes out I think for Europe, January for US.

Zeromus_X
10-13-2006, 06:31 PM
Ah, well, that's good Omecle. But just be sure to at least attempt all the post-game stuff. :) :cat:

Saku
10-13-2006, 06:34 PM
The game came out this week in the US.

And Canada!
Don't forget Canada!

Jowy
10-13-2006, 06:34 PM
Did the European version of Rogue Galaxy get revamped like the US version apparently is, or is it just a translated version of the Japanese version?

JKTrix
10-13-2006, 06:35 PM
Random Tales of Abyss Trivia (cuz I'm a random trivia kinda guy)

A lot of the characters English VAs are quite established anime VAs, hailing from such recent anime and games as Eureka7, Naruto, Bleach and Kingdom Hearts. Similar to Tales of Symphonia, which featured the voice of Robin from Teen Titans as the main character, among many other voice talents.

And games usually come out at the same time in the US and Canada :P Note the lil' box that says 'NTSC U/C'

Dreddz
10-13-2006, 06:36 PM
Did the European version of Rogue Galaxy get revamped like the US version apparently is, or is it just a translated version of the Japanese version?

Straight translation for Europe. The US version is getting a few extras.

Rostum
10-14-2006, 02:01 AM
Im buying Rogue Galaxy on the 11th of November, thats when it comes out I think for Europe, January for US.

Very good news, that means it has a good chance to come to Australia, or I could probably just import it from Europe if that may not be the case. It looks like a very good game, can't wait for it.

Ah, well, that's good Omecle. But just be sure to at least attempt all the post-game stuff. :) :cat:

I will try and give it a go sometime. ^^

Dell
10-14-2006, 08:12 AM
Tales of the Abyss. I like Legendia but this I like more!! I'll get it this Wednesday/Thursday.

Suikoden V have sucky graphics and gameplay btw, so you need a lot of patience. And the first eight hours is too boring, so patience and it'll get better soon.

Rostum
10-14-2006, 10:03 AM
Well I pre-ordered Rogue Galaxy, the online store I get all my games from said it's coming out here on the 31st of October, and they've never failed me with release dates! So I hope they are right.

BTW. I've seen gameplay footage and stuff from Suikoden V and it looks all fine to me, not to mention getting some pretty good reviews and stuff like that. ;o