PDA

View Full Version : Confused Beyond Reasonable Endurance

Vippy G
10-08-2006, 07:09 PM
Okay, I admit it. I have no clue what I'm doing. I have never in my life played a Final Fantasy game or even seen one being played. And that's why I'm so confused.

I'm a huge Kingdom Hearts addict and have heard time and time again about how wonderful the FF series is. So when I remembered that my birthday was coming up (yes, I had actually forgotten) and my mother asked what I would like, I quickly told her that I would like a Final Fantasy game. She looked at me, visibly confused, but nonetheless searched 'final fantasy' on the walmart video games section (actually, she searched 'final fantsy', but I doubt she would like me to mention that). And mass confusion met my eyes.

My point, you ask? I'm a complete and total newb. Actually, I'm lower than a newb, whatever that is. Where should I start? I'm in possession of a PS2, GBA XP, and Windows XP computer, so which game should I get first?

rubah
10-08-2006, 07:34 PM
Start with ffx, play the sequel, then work your way backwards.

It'll probably be best if you start off renting them, unless you're terribly dedicated!

Shoeberto
10-08-2006, 07:38 PM

It'll probably be best if you start off renting them, unless you're terribly dedicated!
Personally, I think FFX sets up poor expectations for the rest of the series.

FFVII or VI is probably a better starting point. It could be debated to death, though.

o_O
10-08-2006, 08:25 PM
I would start with VII. It inspired me to play the whole series.

Don't start with anything before IV, they'd probably deter you before you get to know the mechanics of the games.

KentaRawr!
10-08-2006, 08:50 PM
Hard to say, really. I'd go with FF1 & 2: Dawn of Souls. Somehow, I found them to be the most "fun" of the series. But the FF games with the best story and presentation... well, I'd say FF6, FF7, and FF9. :p

Decessus
10-08-2006, 08:50 PM
I started with Final Fantasy 7.

rubah
10-08-2006, 09:08 PM

Personally, I think FFX sets up poor expectations for the rest of the series.

FFVII or VI is probably a better starting point. It could be debated to death, though.

It's a concept called saving the best for last, but judging from the sequence your family took when setting off fireworks, I'm not sure if you're familiar with it;]

I started with ff5 and I loved it, but I hadn't ever played a psx or ps2 game before then :p

Lawr
10-08-2006, 09:29 PM
Start with a Pizza Hut demo of 8 and work your way backwards to -7

Reles
10-08-2006, 09:40 PM
FF9

starseeker
10-08-2006, 10:14 PM
Don't start with FFX-2, it kinda ruins the plot of X. I'd start with VII personally. VIII is too tricky to start with (junctioning is not intuitive).

Samuraid
10-08-2006, 10:34 PM
FF7 would be a good place to start, then work up to FFX. Then go back and play FF6 and earlier.

crono_logical
10-08-2006, 10:35 PM
Of course, if you're talking about your mother having any sensible hope of buying at a reasonable price, then 10 probably is the best choice :p You should be able to get the first 6 through questionable internet methods in your own time though fairly quickly and play via emulation software on your PC :p

Lawr
10-09-2006, 02:57 AM
But seriously, seeing as how your more clueless than Psychotic,

Start with 7
If you liked it go to 8
Then 9
Then 6 or 4
Then the other of the two,
then 10
Now you can go old-school :cool: with 1,2 or 3 or tactics. (Avoid tactics advanced.)

Rinion
10-09-2006, 03:06 AM
Start with seven, then play both eight and Tactics so you can compare those two to seven and come to the realization they are massively better.

Jowy
10-09-2006, 06:29 PM
Just wait for FFXII.

Roto13
10-09-2006, 07:25 PM
Do NOT avoid Tactics Advance, it's great. It's a spinoff, though, so it's not really like the main Final Fantasy series.

Azure Chrysanthemum
10-09-2006, 07:54 PM
What kind of games are you used to playing and how important are graphics to you?

Miriel
10-09-2006, 08:15 PM
The fact that you've never even heard of Final Fantasy makes me think that you're one of the newer generation of gamers who would find FFVI and below too old school for you. But if you can get past that, I'd say start with VI and then work you way up.

If graphics is important to you. Maybe starting with VII would be better. If it's SUPER important to you, then start with X, but I seriously think if I had played X first, I would never have bothered to play the rest of the games. I'm not a fan of X. :p

Roto13
10-10-2006, 12:15 AM
Graphics aren't that important to me but I found VII hideous. If graphics are slightly important to you, I'd say start with IX. VIII is pretty, and a good game, but the gameplay is pretty different from the others while IX is more traditional.