PDA

View Full Version : Connections to FFT.

feioncastor
10-09-2006, 01:06 PM
Anyone know anything about any of that? I mean, I know the game is set in Ivalice, the country that FFT and FFTA are set in. Does anyone know if we're going to see familiar people/places in FF12? I mean, FFT has a lot of mysterious places in it, and I guess it would be neat to play a game set in the same land, but thousands of years earlier, so you could see how these places became what they are.

Roto13
10-09-2006, 02:29 PM
It's a different Ivalice, but the races are there, and Montblanc makes an appearance.

Paul
10-09-2006, 02:42 PM
actually it's the same ivalice. but during a completely different time period.

Roto13
10-09-2006, 02:53 PM
Really? Because the races weren't in Final Fantasy Tactics and Final Fantasy Tactics Advance was a dream.

Zeromus_X
10-09-2006, 05:47 PM
I wouldn't know why they would want to connect it to any of the other Ivalice games, although I wouldn't be surprised given the spin-off syndrome as of late. If anyone has a picture of its world map, that could settle this quickly.

Paul
10-09-2006, 09:29 PM
Really? Because the races weren't in Final Fantasy Tactics and Final Fantasy Tactics Advance was a dream.
i've read in another thread that somebody had an official square source that confirmed it. but i think they said it was like a thousand years earlier so the geography may be different and also different races.

in FFT they talk about how in ancient times airships existed. in FF12 we have seen airships, so maybe that's how it is.

Aria28
10-10-2006, 09:23 AM
i've read in another thread that somebody had an official square source that confirmed it. but i think they said it was like a thousand years earlier so the geography may be different and also different races.

in FFT they talk about how in ancient times airships existed. in FF12 we have seen airships, so maybe that's how it is.

I think you're refering to the conversation in this thread (http://forums.eyesonff.com/showthread.php?t=92693).

You'll find links to various sources, interviews of staff members (including Matsuno) and non-official throughout the posts I left there. I must add that since then, I've read another discussion on the same subject and that they came to the same conclusion, namely that it was the same world, but we aren't sure if it's on the same timeline but, like Paul said, about a millenium before FFT (there are a few hints in that direction, IMO, but nothing that allows us to say that for sure), or if they all are "parallel" worlds.....

Dynast-Kid
10-28-2006, 06:52 AM

I think you're refering to the conversation in this thread (http://forums.eyesonff.com/showthread.php?t=92693).

You'll find links to various sources, interviews of staff members (including Matsuno) and non-official throughout the posts I left there. I must add that since then, I've read another discussion on the same subject and that they came to the same conclusion, namely that it was the same world, but we aren't sure if it's on the same timeline but, like Paul said, about a millenium before FFT (there are a few hints in that direction, IMO, but nothing that allows us to say that for sure), or if they all are "parallel" worlds.....

I strongly believe that the FF Tactics Ivalice and FFXII's Ivalice are the same.

And this (http://www.gamespot.com/ps2/rpg/finalfantasy12/news.html?sid=6158485)source states that FFXII takes place after FF Tactics.

Zeromus_X
10-28-2006, 07:07 AM
The geography of a planet takes much longer than a thousand years to change to the extent of what would be suggested to assume that all these Ivalices take place in the same universe. It would just be better to assume they don't take place in the same world, because, well, they don't.

Paul
10-28-2006, 12:41 PM
The geography of a planet takes much longer than a thousand years to change to the extent of what would be suggested to assume that all these Ivalices take place in the same universe. It would just be better to assume they don't take place in the same world, because, well, they don't.
OR they're on a different peninsula that isn't mentioned in FFT?

it's funny how some fans can't handle the idea of it being in the same world. like it makes a difference.

Dynast-Kid
10-28-2006, 03:03 PM

Like I said earlier:

The reason the geography is different is because FFXII takes place on the Galtea peninsula of a world called Ivalice. I don't believe the Tactics games referred to Galtea at all. So we've established that FFT and FFXII don't take place in the same region of Ivalice ,but Ivalice nonetheless.

So in conclusion:FFXII and FFT do take place on the same world, the Galtea peninsula just wasn't visited/mentioned in FFT.

Is that plausible?

Ouch!
10-28-2006, 05:22 PM
it's funny how some fans can't handle the idea of it being in the same world. like it makes a difference.
It's funny how some fans can't handle the idea of it being different worlds. Like it makes a difference.

Paul
10-28-2006, 06:50 PM
i've heard from an official source that it's the same world. i'm not arsed either way, but still a lot of people are like NO IT CAN'T BE THE SAME WORLD.

i think it would be interesting if it was the same world, from a completely different time period... because FFT references how society used to be a lot more advance with ancient technology. and FF12 is certainly more technically advanced than FFT.

but if this isn't the case it doesn't matter either. if square had said it was a different world, you wouldn't see me in here going "WELL MAYBE THEY SAID IVALICE BECAUSE IT IS THE SAME WORLD. IT IS!!"

Zeromus_X
10-28-2006, 08:55 PM
What is this source that says that they're in the same world?

Paul
10-28-2006, 09:25 PM
i dunno it was in some other thread, but it was official from square. i guess that's not concrete, but there's no sense really in praying or trying to prove to others that it is one way or the other when you don't really know.

Spatvark
10-28-2006, 10:28 PM
Ivalice is not a world. This needs to be stressed, something people seem to miss a lot. In FFT and Vagrant Story, Ivalice is a kingdom. Meanwhile, in FF12 it's a region (like say, the Baltics), which includes Valendia (where Vagrant Story is set), Ordalia (the nation that had been at war with Ivalice before the beginning of FFT, now a continent, so it probably absorbed what had been the kingdom of Ivalice to the west of it, whilst Ivalice's name passed to the region), and Kerwon (which is entirely new).

FFT is set in Ivalice. FFT:A is set on a southern peninsula of FFT's Ivalice, by the looks of it to me, comparing the FFT and FFT:A maps. FF12 is set in the Ivalice region; the map I'm looking at suggests it's just east of the edge of the FFT map. VS is set in a small region of the northern continent of the FF12 map, though no map is ever seen in VS to offer visual evidence of this.

Basically, it could easily be the same world in all four games; the only thing that really goes against it is the lack of Bangaa, Nu Mou and Viera in FFT, but even that is far from definitive. All kinds of reasons could exist for that to have been so. So yeah, might, might not.

Images are FF12 Ivalice, FFT:A Ivalice, and FFT Ivalice, from left to right.

Dynast-Kid
10-28-2006, 11:29 PM
Ivalice is not a world. This needs to be stressed, something people seem to miss a lot. In FFT and Vagrant Story, Ivalice is a kingdom. Meanwhile, in FF12 it's a region (like say, the Baltics), which includes Valendia (where Vagrant Story is set), Ordalia (the nation that had been at war with Ivalice before the beginning of FFT, now a continent, so it probably absorbed what had been the kingdom of Ivalice to the west of it, whilst Ivalice's name passed to the region), and Kerwon (which is entirely new).

FFT is set in Ivalice. FFT:A is set on a southern peninsula of FFT's Ivalice, by the looks of it to me, comparing the FFT and FFT:A maps. FF12 is set in the Ivalice region; the map I'm looking at suggests it's just east of the edge of the FFT map. VS is set in a small region of the northern continent of the FF12 map, though no map is ever seen in VS to offer visual evidence of this.

Basically, it could easily be the same world in all four games; the only thing that really goes against it is the lack of Bangaa, Nu Mou and Viera in FFT, but even that is far from definitive. All kinds of reasons could exist for that to have been so. So yeah, might, might not.

I love you.

Vaan THF
10-29-2006, 07:31 PM
Are we sure the world isn't called Ivalice? I just happened to play the demo and the first text it shows is "About a story of a world called Ivalice."

Dell
10-30-2006, 01:46 PM
Are we sure the world isn't called Ivalice? I just happened to play the demo and the first text it shows is "About a story of a world called Ivalice."

FFXII world is still Ivalice.

Aria28
10-30-2006, 05:40 PM
What is this source that says that they're in the same world?

Check this thread (http://forums.eyesonff.com/showthread.php?t=92693), my first post from the bottom of the page - I have a quote from an interview with Matsuno (you know, that guy, I think he'svaguely connected with the creation of FF XII :kaoindif:); if you want to check the article, the link is in my post above that one....

Like Paul, I think the fact whether or not it's the same world doesn't change anything really....but it was fun researching interviews for more info :)

:kiss:

Thank you so, so much! I think you have already posted that, haven't you? Or was it someone else? Anyway, I have been mentioning those maps in one of my posts in the subject, but couldn't find the related post anymore. If they aren't all happening in the same world, then the way the maps all work together is really odd, to say the least....

Kawaii Ryűkishi
10-30-2006, 06:13 PM
This seems to be the quotation you keep leaning on (even though they're not the words of Matsuno himself).
He was understandably mum about the plot, though he did confirm that there are no direct connections to any previous game set in Ivalice--it's the same world, but don't expect any familiar faces.Everything considered, it's not at all a conclusive statement. By "the same world," he easily could have been referring to the consistent atmosphere and fantasy setting that pervades Ivalice in its numerous incarnations. It can be taken either way.

Aria28
10-30-2006, 06:30 PM
This seems to be the quotation you keep leaning on (even though they're not the words of Matsuno himself).
He was understandably mum about the plot, though he did confirm that there are no direct connections to any previous game set in Ivalice--it's the same world, but don't expect any familiar faces.Everything considered, it's not at all a conclusive statement. By "the same world," he easily could have been referring to the consistent atmosphere and fantasy setting that pervades Ivalice in its numerous incarnations. It can be taken either way.

I think it's a whole. There's this quot, plus other from members of the development team (if you check the other interview) who say basically the same thing, the fact that the maps of the different games related to "Ivalice" seem to work together (Edit: I know someone put FF XII's and FF T's, maps one after the other, so that the Ordalia parts of the FF T map and of the FF XII map are aligned and they work very well as a continuation of each other - check Spatvark's post above). Plus small things, from one game to another, that seem to indicate continuity. I'd say it's a lot of coincidences if those are all completely different worlds

But I agree, any of those elements alone isn't convincing per se - and even with all of them, it's still not 100% sure if it's one and the same world or parallel ones. That being said, in the interview with team members (direct quotes this time), they are asked directly at one point if it's the same world, and the reply is "[....]I would say that this is another version, maybe, of what you've seen previously. We'd like to show a different version of Ivalice." I would think, if it wasn't the same world at all, saying so would be much more simple. But, again, that doesn't tell us whether they are parallel worlds or on the same timeline.

Oh well, with Matsuno gone from SE, we may very well never know for sure....:D

Paul
10-30-2006, 07:50 PM
actually the quote isn't as conclusive as i thought, you're right ryukishi. it's basically open to either way as things stand and square will probably never confirm it either way to let everyone imagine their own idea.