PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone know the Japan Opera?

MJN SEIFER
10-09-2006, 07:20 PM
I have seen it scripted but IN JAPANESE is it anything lilke the UK one?

The main reason i'm asking is to see if this line is included:

"What ever you say, I won't age a day"

Because if it its. then i'm right.

DJZen
10-10-2006, 12:07 PM
It's not much like the English translation in the original. The original Japanese version had slightly different lyrics, Woolsey seems to have added things to drop hints about Locke & Celes's relationship. Let me see if I can find it...

EDIT: AH-HA! Found it! Took long enough but I bookmarked it this time.

Oh my beloved
Have you gone so far?
Unfading, eternal love
Was just now so close

At times of sadness
At times of pain
I see the star that falls in the sky
And I think of you

Can we turn aside
This unwanted parting?
What shall I do? Darling, tell me
I'm waiting for your words

(then the part where Maria and Draco dance)

Thank you
My love
For these feelings that shook within me
Even if only once

Quietly, kindly
You gave me an answer
Always, always
I will wait for you

KoShiatar
10-10-2006, 06:53 PM
The original Japanese lyrics were perfectly in time with the music, something that Woosley apparently did not accomplish. Here they are:

"Itoshi no anata wa
Tôi tokoro e?
Iro asenu towa no ai
chikatta bakari ni
Kanashii toki ni mo
tsurai toki ni mo
sora ni furu ano hoshi o
anata to omoi
Nozomanu chigiri o
kawasu no desu ka?
Dô sureba? Nee anata?
Kotoba o matsu"

"Arigatô watashi no
ai suru hito yo
Ichido demo kono omoi
yureta watashi ni
shizuka ni yasashiku
kotaete kurete
itsu made mo itsu made mo
anata o matsu"

MJN SEIFER
10-10-2006, 06:54 PM
Damn! There so much better lyrics!

Sadly the quote I asked about was NOT in the original, so my theory is now useless.

Thanks anyway DJZen

DJZen
10-11-2006, 04:55 AM
The original Japanese lyrics were perfectly in time with the music, something that Woosley apparently did not accomplish.

Yes, translating lyrics is difficult because you have to translate the meaning and keep the same timing. It's very difficult do from grammatically languages such as English and Spanish, but from Japanese to English is even more nightmarishly impossible. The theme song to Rurouni Kenshin is a good example, because there are 2 English translations of it, and neither has the same lyrics. Notice that the translation of Aria di Mezzo Caraterre does NOT fit the timing. At all. How does one address that? The only way is to change the song's lyrics, which always upsets people.

abrojtm
10-11-2006, 07:50 PM
The Italian real voice opera in FFVI Grand Finale is pretty superb, and the timing is good.

nik0tine
10-12-2006, 01:35 AM
The original Japanese lyrics were perfectly in time with the music, something that Woosley apparently did not accomplish. Here they are:

"Itoshi no anata wa
Tôi tokoro e?
Iro asenu towa no ai
chikatta bakari ni
Kanashii toki ni mo
tsurai toki ni mo
sora ni furu ano hoshi o
anata to omoi
Nozomanu chigiri o
kawasu no desu ka?
Dô sureba? Nee anata?
Kotoba o matsu"

"Arigatô watashi no
ai suru hito yo
Ichido demo kono omoi
yureta watashi ni
shizuka ni yasashiku
kotaete kurete
itsu made mo itsu made mo
anata o matsu"

Yep. That's it.

DJZen
10-12-2006, 02:05 PM
Actually, after listening to the song while reading the lyrics, the syllables don't seem to fit. There are several lines where there's one more note than there are syllables (and yes, I know how to pronounce Japanese properly).

blackmage_nuke
10-12-2006, 02:47 PM
Maybe some syllables are sung with 2 notes. Opera is like that sometimes.

Avarice-ness
10-12-2006, 06:28 PM
Maybe some syllables are sung with 2 notes. Opera is like that sometimes.

Some syllables are sung with 10 notes with accidentals inbetween.

99% of vocal music music is like that.

The English version done on the 'More Friends' concert is done wonderfully in time. So is the itallian version on the grand finale cd.

Most lyrics won't match up perfectly if you do it by sylables. On lyric sheets you see for alot of music it would look like this. (using the Maria/Draco part.)

Ma --ri - a
Dra -- a -- co

Draco apparently doesn't have two a's but the note changes while on the 'dra' so another a is added into the lyrics which you naturally can't tell while singing.

Ahem..
*sets small fire to the corner of the opera house and dashes off*
:razz:

bipper
10-12-2006, 06:37 PM
*staggers in durnk and pisses on the fire. Unfortunatley she set fire to the electric box. After the tear stop, het turns and says *

"I like the American lyrics far better, as I like the coincidental tie in to the story. IT also points to how humans always desire to be like the stories we see, and how we can identify our meager lives with those of heros as in FFVI as they do to Maria and Draco."

Zips up and runs off stage. Leaveing a puddle of water.

KoShiatar
10-12-2006, 09:05 PM
Actually, after listening to the song while reading the lyrics, the syllables don't seem to fit. There are several lines where there's one more note than there are syllables (and yes, I know how to pronounce Japanese properly).

Keep in mind that in the words containing more than one consecutive vowel, each is pronounced as a single syllable.
So, for instance, "kanashii" sounds like "kanashi-i", and "tsurai" "tsura-i".
I have read the lyrics while listening to the original FF VI soundtrack music, and they all fit perfectly to me, including the Draco and Maria part.

bipper
10-13-2006, 04:45 AM
Doesn't the old joke just say to bang some pots and pans together, and throw em down the stairs?

DJZen
10-13-2006, 09:27 PM

Keep in mind that in the words containing more than one consecutive vowel, each is pronounced as a single syllable.
So, for instance, "kanashii" sounds like "kanashi-i", and "tsurai" "tsura-i".
I have read the lyrics while listening to the original FF VI soundtrack music, and they all fit perfectly to me, including the Draco and Maria part.

I know how to pronounce written Japanese, and there's a few points where the syllables don't fit the number of notes. Later today when I'm feeling less lazy I'll point them out.

EDIT:

"Chikatta bakari ni" is short one syllable
"Anata to omoi" is short one syllable
"Kotoba wo matsu" is short one syllable
"Arigatou watashi no" has too many syllables @.@
"Yureta watashi ni" is short one syllable
"Anata wo matsu" is short one syllable

boys from the dwarf
10-14-2006, 08:54 AM
i think that "i wont age a day" line is a reference to rachel who is being kept in a suspended animation. on the version of the game where it comes with a free FF10 demo disk it has that line.

DJZen
10-14-2006, 04:30 PM
Yes, Ted Woolsey added references to Locke's situation to make the opera scene a little more interesting and relevant.

...Demo disk?

MJN SEIFER
10-14-2006, 06:51 PM
i think that "i wont age a day" line is a reference to rachel who is being kept in a suspended animation. on the version of the game where it comes with a free FF10 demo disk it has that line.

That was my theory. Obviously it's false now as It wasn't in the J version

KoShiatar
10-17-2006, 08:47 AM
Hum, I don't know how to transcribe the lyrics with notes under them because I don't know music, but I'd like to so you'd see my point. Makes no sense to argue over a thing like that, anyway...

Avarice-ness
10-17-2006, 09:12 AM
*staggers in durnk and pisses on the fire. Unfortunatley she set fire to the electric box. After the tear stop, het turns and says *

"I like the American lyrics far better, as I like the coincidental tie in to the story. IT also points to how humans always desire to be like the stories we see, and how we can identify our meager lives with those of heros as in FFVI as they do to Maria and Draco."

Zips up and runs off stage. Leaveing a puddle of water.

*shakes fist*
One day Bip... One Day and POW! RIGHT TO THE MOON or other satelite that may circle the lovely world of FFVI

DJZen
10-17-2006, 02:35 PM
Hum, I don't know how to transcribe the lyrics with notes under them because I don't know music, but I'd like to so you'd see my point. Makes no sense to argue over a thing like that, anyway...

Just sing the lyrics over the song, you'll see what I'm talking about on those particular lines. Especially the oddness of "Arigatou watashi no", there's no way to fit that into the line because there are too many syllables.

A-ri-ga-to-u-wa-ta-shi-no = 9 syllables
That line only contains 8 notes

similarly

A-na-ta-to-o-mo-i = 7 syllables
That line also contains 8 notes

Avarice-ness
10-17-2006, 07:17 PM

Just sing the lyrics over the song, you'll see what I'm talking about on those particular lines. Especially the oddness of "Arigatou watashi no", there's no way to fit that into the line because there are too many syllables.

A-ri-ga-to-u-wa-ta-shi-no = 9 syllables
That line only contains 8 notes

similarly

A-na-ta-to-o-mo-i = 7 syllables
That line also contains 8 notes

The reprise is the same as the first.
the 'tou' in Arigatou counts as one syllable.
I agree with Arigatou watashi no
Note in Blue, they might not match up over the note but you can see it does match up.

E F G C E F# G B
A- ri - ga - tou Wa - ta - shi no

The Anata to omoi part, is difficult to judge with the game. On the game the "ee" sound would have the higher note to it and it's hard to tell if she sings that note in the game, where as that note is sung in the itallian version, but not sung on the More Friends english version. It's an -extremely- hard note to judge with the voice synth in the game due to the fact that the strings synth for the song hits it hard there.

BUT!

Singing it outloud the Japanese version works fine, if you know where the note transition is you'll know that some of the syllables have more than one note, it's common musical sense. :D

As someone who has a pretty nice musical background and a potential proformance music major I tend to get annoyed by people who thinks notes go with Syllables, look at the song 'Think of Me' from Phantom of the Opera, after the reprise when she says 'Think of me' at the very end, the 'of' has a good 20+ notes but is technically one syllable. Making everything go to a slyllable would basically be as if you staccato'd every single note to make the syllables fit and eventually the syllables and the notes would be off that's why they have a lovely thing called slurs, you can slurr the 20+ notes in the song and it's still all one syllable. Or to make things more difficult you could even glissando the note like the last two notes do in 'Think of me' from the highest to the lowest, It would be -EXTREMELY- hard to jump that range so a glissando is put into make it easier on the voice. The 'Tou' in this song and many other 'syllables' get the slurs, it's hard to jump certain notes so you make it easier on the voice, go from a middleC# to the Fnatural above the staff and things will suck. First because C# to an Fnatural is extremely rare seeing as it throughs off the key, plus F in general is a good note for soprano's but hard notes for people with lower vocal ranges. ... I'm Rambling. :razz:

DJZen
10-19-2006, 05:03 PM
Thank you, avarice, you proved my point. ;)

boys from the dwarf
10-20-2006, 07:44 AM

That was my theory. Obviously it's false now as It wasn't in the J version
not neccasarily. they could have deliberately put than in the english version as a reference.

MJN SEIFER
10-20-2006, 07:38 PM
It would be good if they did.

Tainted Angel
10-20-2006, 09:41 PM
The Italian real voice opera in FFVI Grand Finale is pretty superb, and the timing is good.

Linky to YouTube/Googlevid?

Kawaii Ryûkishi
10-20-2006, 10:47 PM
It's a song, not a video.