PDA

View Full Version : Its Advanced!

NINJA_Ryu
10-10-2006, 12:59 AM
What do you people think of the rereleased FFs like I,II,IV, and soon to be III, V, and VI?

I persoanlly have heard that it was made too easy for I and II, but i enjoy IV immensely, since ive played it after i played the original, and the only diffrence is quicksave to me, and its handy when your in a rush and since its handheld, seems like a good choice.

input?

Necronopticous
10-10-2006, 01:08 AM
They're fantastic. It's about time we were able to experience great versions of these games on the go. Now Sony just needs to get on the ball with the PSP PSX emulator they were talking about.

feioncastor
10-10-2006, 01:46 AM
I'll admit that I am bothered by the changes made, but nothing I can't get over. My biggest stupid issue is how popular these re-releases are becoming. You see, back in the day, my brothers and I were the only people we knew who played FF1, FF2/4j, and FF3/6j. I know that the games were immensely popular, and many, many people played them way more than we did, but the pont was that it was so rare to run into someone who had played FF2 for the SNES. And because I'm immature, I feel weird that my private little unknown game is suddenly being opened to a world of people. My club isn't so exclusive anymore! :(

But, I'm sure I'll get over it.

Anyway, I guess it's cool that we have FF4 with new stuff. Obviously, I've played the living junk out of that game. I could almost recite all the dialog, verbatim. I still love to play it, I just get disppointed that the game is the exact same as it was the last 20 times I played through it. So it's cool that I can have the gameplay (almost) of FF4 and some new stuff I didn't have before.

I just hope they don't change too much with FF6. I mean, that game was freaking amazing. And when something is that amazing, any attempt to make it more amazing usually ruins it.

The PSX versions were cool because they included FMVs of the characters, so you could see what Cecil might look like if his head didn't account for half of his entire height. I was very displeased with the FF6 on PSX, however, because of the god-awful load times. I found myself refraining from accessing the menu at times when I should have just because I knew it would take forever to get to it and back onto the field. And I could be mistaken, but I could've sworn that the battle theme doesn't loop properly. Like, after a few minutes of fighting, it fades out, then comes back in like at the beginning of a fight. I mean, come on. The Playstation is supposed to have hardware superior to the Super NES, and they failed on dumb stuff like that!

NINJA_Ryu
10-10-2006, 04:19 AM
I agree with you feion, to try and "better" FF6 might make me go running to my emulator. I also know where you are coming from, because I am a SNES child, it was the hugest console of my little childhood and playing the emulator versions of the originals (my parents didnt want me to have a console at young age,so i couldnt get a SNES :( ! ) just made me leap for joy.

feioncastor
10-10-2006, 04:27 AM
I have 2 SNES's and two copies of FF3, one of which doesn't hold a save file so well.

You know, I've done the emulator thing. But there really is a certain magic to putting the cartridge into the system and flipping on the switch and sitting on the couch and looking at a TV, not a monitor. Seriously. With emulators, you don't really hang out with friends as you play. And that's the coolest thing about FFVI to me. Playing it with others who haven't played it yet. I have a friend who LOVES FF7, but has never played 1-6, 8-11 or anything else with "Final Fantasy" in the title.

So I recommended that he try out FF6 for an hour or two, and if he didn't like it, he could drop it and move on to whatever. Well, of course he fell in love with it, as most do, and we spent that night playing FF6 till about 10 the next morning. After we passed out for about 6 hours, we got up and played some more.

I can't wait to play this FF6Advance. I just worry that I'm going to be overly critical. Like, a few bits of dialogue are going to be different, and I won't like that. Plus, the SNES had a very advanced sound system. There's one scene in the game where the sound really affects you. When Terra first becomes an esper and she flies off from Narshe, she shrieks really loud and creepy. I worry that the GBA will not faithfully reproduce this and other sounds, like Kefka's laugh that always seems to come from off-screen The story will remain the same, the gameplay will probably be the same, the graphics will be very similar, if not the exact same, but FF6 is one of those games that you don't ever mute while you're playing because the music and FX add so much depth to the whole thing.

LoKuS
10-10-2006, 04:51 AM
I cant wait for FFVI for GBA!!!

Zeromus_X
10-10-2006, 05:00 AM
I can't wait to play this FF6Advance. I just worry that I'm going to be overly critical. Like, a few bits of dialogue are going to be different, and I won't like that. Plus, the SNES had a very advanced sound system. There's one scene in the game where the sound really affects you. When Spoiler: Terra first becomes an esper and she flies off from Narshe, she shrieks really loud and creepy. I worry that the GBA will not faithfully reproduce this and other sounds, like Spoiler: Kefka's laugh that always seems to come from off-screen The story will remain the same, the gameplay will probably be the same, the graphics will be very similar, if not the exact same, but FF6 is one of those games that you don't ever mute while you're playing because the music and FX add so much depth to the whole thing.

Don't forget the synthesized 'voice' for Aria Di Mezzo Carataire.

Lowered sound quality and screen resolution (although in comparison to a top-tier SNES game like FFVI) are pretty much inevitable, unfortunately (let's not even speak of the audio disaster that was Tales of Phantasia for the Gameboy Advance). However, one of the things that the 'new features' site I linked to awhile back that they emphasized on was that the sound would be improved (some "rearranged, 8 Channel Background Music"), so I don't know if that'll be acceptable or not (I don't really know what it means my eight channel background anyway).

Of course, I for one can't resist portable classic FFs, let alone FFIII and FFVI. It's great we finally get to play all these great games with added features, portable, even if there are some let-downs.

Edit: I would have to agree with the console thing. It just isn't the same. Of course, some games (especially older, not-released-outside-of-Japan games) aren't available to everyone.

NINJA_Ryu
10-10-2006, 05:01 AM
I have 2 SNES's and two copies of FF3, one of which doesn't hold a save file so well.

You know, I've done the emulator thing. But there really is a certain magic to putting the cartridge into the system and flipping on the switch and sitting on the couch and looking at a TV, not a monitor. Seriously. With emulators, you don't really hang out with friends as you play. And that's the coolest thing about FFVI to me. Playing it with others who haven't played it yet. I have a friend who LOVES FF7, but has never played 1-6, 8-11 or anything else with "Final Fantasy" in the title.

So I recommended that he try out FF6 for an hour or two, and if he didn't like it, he could drop it and move on to whatever. Well, of course he fell in love with it, as most do, and we spent that night playing FF6 till about 10 the next morning. After we passed out for about 6 hours, we got up and played some more.

I can't wait to play this FF6Advance. I just worry that I'm going to be overly critical. Like, a few bits of dialogue are going to be different, and I won't like that. Plus, the SNES had a very advanced sound system. There's one scene in the game where the sound really affects you. When Terra first becomes an esper and she flies off from Narshe, she shrieks really loud and creepy. I worry that the GBA will not faithfully reproduce this and other sounds, like Kefka's laugh that always seems to come from off-screen The story will remain the same, the gameplay will probably be the same, the graphics will be very similar, if not the exact same, but FF6 is one of those games that you don't ever mute while you're playing because the music and FX add so much depth to the whole thing.

you make me sad and put my emulation to shame......

I cannot find a SNES around here and so i resort to emulation, but yes, i know the feelings of buddy video gaming. they are the best ^ ^

Kefka_Almighty
10-10-2006, 05:23 AM
I think it's great in that it's giving a lot of people who weren't old enough to play them way back when a chance to play them now. Unfortunately, I'm fairly certain that the majority of the people buying them will be the people who've played the living hell out of them already. Not that there's anything wrong with that, per se, but because of the advances in technology and how used to the newer style of Final Fantasy the majority of the current generation has gotten, I don't think that they'll compromise the majority of the people buying the game.

boys from the dwarf
10-10-2006, 07:51 AM
FF1 was good but easy. FF2 was still challenging enough and is good.

FF4 was changed a lot.

FFV seems good to me because of the new stuff that seems to make it worth replaying.

vorpal blade
10-10-2006, 09:05 AM
I dislike the re-releases. While I am glad that it's giving me a chance to play games that I was too young to play, I am upset by the changes they made. I did not get to play the game the first time, so I would like to play the original. I'm willing to grudgingly accept the updated graphics, and like the added dungeons, i would like the gameplay to be the same. Same moves, same enemies, same items, and especially same dialogue and translation. Basically, what i'm saying is that I want a port, not a remake, and this is especially true for the FFIII for the DS. Make it easier, make the job system a little better, I'll accept that, but I want the original graphics and I DON'T want added storylines for the characters. I guess what i'm saying is that I want a NES Classics version of the games, like they did with Metroid and Castlevania- a port, not a remake.

ValiantKnight
10-10-2006, 10:37 AM
They seem a little too easy, and they change alot of stuff /shrug.

As for PSX vs SNES
I think its due to the PSX using CDs, vs the SNES using memory chip cartridges? but not sure.

Computer memory >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>faster>>>>>>> CD reading.

DJZen
10-10-2006, 12:54 PM
I think it's great that they're re-releasing this stuff, despite any changes. If you look back at the history of video game re-releases, you'll find that any time a game is re-released on another console, SOMETHING changes. It might be minor, it might be huge, but it's almost always there. Just look at games like Altered Beast or Ys, which were re-released more times than you'd like to think about. Between all of these re-releases, there were many changes. However, despite that, the heart of the games never changed (which is actually kind of unfortunate in the case of Altered Beast).

Besides, how many people were actually upset about the changes made to FFII? ;)

Crossblades
10-10-2006, 02:34 PM
They're awesome. I like the fact that SE adds new features to these games.You'll appreciate the game and it makes me want to play them even more

Elpizo
10-10-2006, 03:05 PM
I dislike the re-releases. While I am glad that it's giving me a chance to play games that I was too young to play, I am upset by the changes they made. I did not get to play the game the first time, so I would like to play the original. I'm willing to grudgingly accept the updated graphics, and like the added dungeons, i would like the gameplay to be the same. Same moves, same enemies, same items, and especially same dialogue and translation. Basically, what i'm saying is that I want a port, not a remake, and this is especially true for the FFIII for the DS. Make it easier, make the job system a little better, I'll accept that, but I want the original graphics and I DON'T want added storylines for the characters. I guess what i'm saying is that I want a NES Classics version of the games, like they did with Metroid and Castlevania- a port, not a remake.
Download the ROMs and have fun playing the original versions, I would say.

Levian
10-10-2006, 03:33 PM
Don't forget Tactics! :jess: Final Fantasy is definitely nice to kill time with on those long train rides. :D

Roto13
10-10-2006, 05:11 PM
I like the extra things. This way I'm not just buying the same game again.

boys from the dwarf
10-10-2006, 07:01 PM
i think eventually a remake might be needed for al lot of FFs.

say 10 years into the future there are FF fans playing FF16 or something. wouldn't that make them want to play FF7,8 and 9? but oh noes! all of those games are so old and rare that there aren't many working copies left in the world. see my point. but if they get to about FF20 or something like that, i guess they may have to let the old games die. i dont mind remakes and the new stuff is great but if they make things easier, that nerfs things up a bit.

Paul
10-11-2006, 11:14 AM
i think they're trying to make it so that the modern day final fantasy player doesn't get their arsed kicked by the early FF style of, well, getting your arse kicked.

i think they are doing a good job of this and the remakes are really great games with much improved translation and presentation. also all of the extras are great adding depth to the plot. i thought FF2 in particular had an awesome extra quest.

i can see why hardcore fans don't like the lower difficulty. it'd be nice if each game had like a slightly nerfed mode and then a standard mode. but i think FF2 and 4 weren't easy by any means. FF1 was, tho.

aerithsloveslave
10-11-2006, 12:21 PM

say 10 years into the future there are FF fans playing FF16 or something. wouldn't that make them want to play FF7,8 and 9? but oh noes! all of those games are so old and rare that there aren't many working copies left in the world. see my point. but if they get to about FF20 or something like that, i guess they may have to let the old games die. i dont mind remakes and the new stuff is great but if they make things easier, that nerfs things up a bit.

We'll only be up to part 16 in 10 years? I think you underestimate Squeenix's powers of milking this franchise. :p

ljkkjlcm9
10-11-2006, 12:43 PM
in the first 10 years of Square they had FF1-7

anyways, I enjoy being able to get these games on the road, having 1-6 portable and I can take with me anywhere, is pretty awesome indeed, even if it's not the original version, it's still the same game.

THE JACKEL

Roto13
10-11-2006, 04:33 PM

We'll only be up to part 16 in 10 years? I think you underestimate Squeenix's powers of milking this franchise. :p

Well, to be fair, he's referring to Final Fantasy XVI and it's dozen spinoffs.

Skarr
10-11-2006, 07:15 PM
The fact that the games have their little changes, makes it worth it to purchase it. I mean that and the fact that you can play FFVI in the can, in the car, on the bus, at work, when your girlfriend is spending your money, did I say on the plane?

vweet
10-13-2006, 06:14 AM
the remakes are pretty good because they let people who weren't around for the ealier final fantasies or didn't like them then have a go at them even if they are easier