PDA

View Full Version : Ocarina of Time vs. Majora's Mask

Roto13
10-10-2006, 04:43 PM
I saw a bit of discussion over this in that other thread, so I figured I'd make a poll. Which of the two Nintendo 64 Legend of Zelda games was the better game? My vote goes to Ocarina of Time. Majora's Mask was really good, but the saving system kind of annoyed me. You had to reset time to hard save, instead of just letting you hard save anywhere. A couple of times, the power went out on the third day and made me cry.

Levian
10-10-2006, 04:49 PM
Definitely Majora's Mask. It's only second to ALttP, in my opinion. Ocarina of Time was great too, but I'd rather play Majoras Mask over again. There's more puzzles in Majora's Mask, more things to figure out. :D And the temples of MM are way harder that OoT, I like a good challenge every now and then. Being able to turn into Zora, Goron or Deku Scrub was nice too, instead of walking/horseing around everywhere. The music was better in OoT, though.

I've had the power gone out on the third day too. I know the feeling. :(

yunacy
10-10-2006, 05:00 PM
i think Ocarina of Time is better cause the story was great the graphics were good and i absolutly hated the Majora's Mask tme thing were you would have to start all over the third day i can't really remember cause i haven't played it in a long time

XxSephirothxX
10-10-2006, 05:11 PM
I really loved both games, but if I had to pick one I'd go with Ocarina of Time. There were some awesome puzzles in Majora's Mask, and the time system was innovative and fun in some ways, but I disliked having to repeat certain actions over and over again throughout the game. I also thought it needed more than four dungeons, which was one of the plusses of Ocarina of Time. The original had an epic scope that Majora's Mask didn't really match--they probably weren't even trying to make it take place on the same scale, seeing as how it took place over the course of three days.

Jowy
10-10-2006, 05:48 PM
I found the boss battles, puzzles, and storyline of Majora's Mask far more engrossing than that of Ocarina of Time.

Yamaneko
10-10-2006, 06:21 PM
Zelda games are supposed to be epic. OoT was epic. MM was not. Couple that with a longer game, more dungeons, and better music, I had a lot more fun with OoT than I did with MM.

Ender
10-10-2006, 06:27 PM
OoT was basically a re-telling of the standard Ganon/Link/Zelda-Triforce story...go to each of the temples to recover a piece of what is needed to unlock the final dungeon and confront Ganon. Certainly the world was imagined well in terms of the technology at hand, but I thought AttP told the same basic story in a world that felt "fuller" and more engrossing than OoT.

MM, on the other hand, is a gaming masterpiece IMO. It took the ideas that had been brewing in previous Zelda games and made something refreshingly new out of it. More, it is a real challenge, far more than OoT, which feels like a seven-year-old could beat out of the box. It might be derided for not having the epic feel expected of the adventure/fantasy genre, but what it lacks there it makes up for everywhere else.

Rainecloud
10-10-2006, 07:17 PM
Ocarina of Time wins my vote.

Although I enjoyed Majora's Mask immensely, the three day time limit and awful save system ruined it for me. Having said that, the music, environments and atmosphere of the game beat Ocarina of Time hands down. Unfortunately, the dungeons, while difficult, aren't exactly plentiful, whereas the dungeons in OoT are both challenging and numerous.

Plus, the Water Dungeon in MM is far more annoying than the Water Temple in OoT.

Roto13
10-10-2006, 08:29 PM
Plus, the Water Dungeon in MM is far more annoying than the Water Temple in OoT.

Yeah. I really didn't think that was possible. O_o

Rainecloud
10-10-2006, 08:53 PM

Neither did I, but good ol' Ninty somehow managed it.

The MM Water Dungeon is one of my least favourite memories from the game, and it's the primary reason why I've only bothered to finish MM once.

KentaRawr!
10-10-2006, 09:01 PM
Hard to say. Majora's Mask definitely had a more polished story, and it incorporated time travel in a much more interesting way. Ocarina of Time, however, has many more dungeons. Where are the "Can't Decide?" or "Poll Option Reserved for Meat Puppet" options?

Kirobaito
10-10-2006, 09:06 PM
I love both games to death, but OoT was just more fun to me. Majora's Mask was innovative and all, but I've never been able to replay it more than once. I can easily replay Ocarina of Time any time I want.

Hawkeye
10-10-2006, 09:47 PM
I'm giving my vote to Majora's Mask pretty much because I've played and replayed and replayed Ocarina of Time so many times that it is getting repetitive. However, OoT is one of the best games I have ever played. MM offered something different, and I pretty much took keen to it.

ljkkjlcm9
10-10-2006, 09:51 PM
equal which means no vote... especially considering Majora Mask was suppose to be an expansion on Ocarina of Time

THE JACKEL

Zeromus_X
10-10-2006, 09:54 PM
I liked both of them, but I just enjoyed Majora's Mask more.

Sephex
10-10-2006, 09:59 PM
I like both games but Ocarina of Time edges out Majora's Mask.

SeeDRankLou
10-10-2006, 11:36 PM
While both games were excellent, I favor Majora's Mask. While the story was far more simpistic and non-epic, it has a very heartening property about it that I found rather appealing, the overall story and the little mini stories. It was a slightly interesting concept, and it was a nice change to be able to mix up the way that Link fights. I liked the save system, but I'm a sucker for realistic (well, in game realistic at least) save systems. The ability to just save in OoT was lame in comparison, but understandable. I have replayed this game quite a bit, I like to see how fast I can do things, and that time system gave way for that kind of challenge. My current record is getting everything in 4 cycles, and beating the game in one cycle (in both cases excluding the mandatory first one). Also, every once in a while I find a new thing that happens, or an event that I am usually somewhere else for. I have played through OoT several times, and while it's fun, I pretty much got everything except a few pieces of heart and a quiver upgrade on my first playthrough (without a guide).

And how on earth was the Water Temple in MM more annoying than in OoT? Yes, the Water Temple in MM is annoying, but I remember spending hours in OoT before I finally broke down and consulted a guide for the Water Temple. The boss, while easier, was far more annoying in OoT. The Water Temple doesn't have nearly as much backtracking in MM, it's semi-logically structured, and you get to be Zora Link, which makes moving through the water far faster and more simple than waiting..... very..... patiently..... for links boots to sink him to the bottom or to take them off and rise to the top. *dies* Ok, my rant is over, we're all entitled to our own opinion.

Rostum
10-11-2006, 12:16 AM
OoT, although I really do like MM as well, I have more fond memories and more playtime with OoT. =)

Black Mage FF1
10-11-2006, 12:38 AM
OoT was basically a re-telling of the standard Ganon/Link/Zelda-Triforce story...go to each of the temples to recover a piece of what is needed to unlock the final dungeon and confront Ganon. Certainly the world was imagined well in terms of the technology at hand, but I thought AttP told the same basic story in a world that felt "fuller" and more engrossing than OoT.

MM, on the other hand, is a gaming masterpiece IMO. It took the ideas that had been brewing in previous Zelda games and made something refreshingly new out of it. More, it is a real challenge, far more than OoT, which feels like a seven-year-old could beat out of the box. It might be derided for not having the epic feel expected of the adventure/fantasy genre, but what it lacks there it makes up for everywhere else.

*Agrees*

Giga Guess
10-11-2006, 12:55 AM
VERY tough call, but I preferred Ocarina of time. That said, being able to play as 4 different species was kinda fun too...

Kawaii Ryűkishi
10-11-2006, 12:56 AM
Zelda games are supposed to be epic. OoT was epic. MM was not.I much prefer the personal level on which Majora's Mask plays than OoT's epic scope, which just comes off as business as usual. Resolving the individual conflicts of the intertwining lives of a world's worth of endearing characters is more engaging to me than plundering a series of themed dungeons for some ornamental plot items.

I get more out of reuniting Kafei and Anju than playing savior to all of Hyrule for the nth time.

Markus. D
10-11-2006, 01:06 AM
Majora's Mask.
I liked it n_n

but my faveorite Zelda still stands with Windwaker.

Lindy
10-11-2006, 01:11 AM
Anyone who chooses Ocarina of Time over Majora's Mask is a horrible moron, for obvious reasons.

Yamaneko
10-11-2006, 01:12 AM
Well I guess I'm a horrible moron that enjoyed a better game then. :)

Lindy
10-11-2006, 01:21 AM
Good thing you're not important in the world of game design or we'd all be doomed to bland repetition.

Yamaneko
10-11-2006, 01:34 AM
I would inovate the exploding barrel. It would actually implode.

Lindy
10-11-2006, 01:38 AM
It's been done.

Yamaneko
10-11-2006, 01:42 AM
Then I have nothing.

Spammerman
10-11-2006, 02:07 AM
OoT. Having to restart the three days over and over was pure annoying, even though you get to be a zoron. Also, I much prefered the saving everywhere type of story. And plus, you cant mess with the triforce, its pure awesomeness.

Lindy
10-11-2006, 02:26 AM
Uhm.

You're saving an entire world from being destroyed.

BY THE MOON.

I fail to see how that isn't saving everywhere.

NINJA_Ryu
10-11-2006, 04:01 AM
Lindy, you dont need to be all fanboyish in here, its pretty much a thread of state your opinion, and why, and leave it at that.

I like OOT better than MM, because i played OOT when i was younger, and it consumed me for a long time, and i didnt really finish it until this summer due to the rest of my life. I liked how it was somewhat darker/ more mature than the ones i had played ( Phantom ganon, basically the future was hell) and so it gains my vote. And i have to love the Great Dekuy tree, with navi going out, flying, seeing links house and BONK! Hits her head :(

Kawaii Ryűkishi
10-11-2006, 04:10 AM
Just let Lindy do his thing.

Nominus Experse
10-11-2006, 04:36 AM
It kind of bothers me from time to time to see how OoT overshadowed MM . OoT was amazing, and its innovations, playability, etc were wonderful, fresh, and amazing really.

But MM improved them all. It was the better game in my opinion, but it didn't hold the awesome shock factor that OoT did.

In some ways, you could argue that OoT cannot help this and that it could very well be part of its many-times thought superiority, but meh...

They're both fun games, and I have played them both to death.

I simply enjoy MM more than OoT.

NINJA_Ryu
10-11-2006, 05:05 AM
It kind of bothers me from time to time to see how OoT overshadowed MM . OoT was amazing, and its innovations, playability, etc were wonderful, fresh, and amazing really.

But MM improved them all. It was the better game in my opinion, but it didn't hold the awesome shock factor that OoT did.

In some ways, you could argue that OoT cannot help this and that it could very well be part of its many-times thought superiority, but meh...

They're both fun games, and I have played them both to death.

I simply enjoy MM more than OoT.

Indeed i was pretty amazed at the graphic quality improvement of MM, after playing OOT for so long, it was a Whoa! moment

Nifleheim7
10-11-2006, 05:36 AM
I'm not going to vote since i haven't played Majora's Mask but Ocarina of time is really an amazing game even by today standarts.

Agent Proto
10-11-2006, 06:05 AM
I liked Majora's Mask. I enjoyed the concept of repeating the three days over and over and over, doing something different each time your go back. It's rather refreshing.

Hawkeye
10-11-2006, 06:08 AM
Just let Lindy do his thing.
Especially in General Gaming Discussion.

Markus. D
10-11-2006, 07:29 AM
Especially in a WoW thread.

FallenAngel411
10-11-2006, 07:36 AM
I say Ocarina of Time. This might be a silly reason, but it was the first game I ever played that showed me that a game could be more than just repitive racing and jumping on floating blocks--a game could be an entire world, memorable characters, and a story and won't let go of you. It was also the first game to scare me sh**less. Damn Shadow Temple...I was way too young to be battling undead things. I'm still freaked out by it. :(

Zeromus_X
10-11-2006, 07:38 AM
Oh god, that temple still gives me the chills. :( Just like the Water Temple still gives me a headache.

Markus. D
10-11-2006, 07:40 AM
the first time I saw those Zombehs.... not Stalchild..... Zombie Zombies....

D:... I was always afraid of those moments...

Nominus Experse
10-11-2006, 07:43 AM
Oh god, that temple still gives me the chills. :( Just like the Water Temple still gives me a headache.
Heh, I was the strange little kid that would race to get there and just roam around its confines for the hell of it. I thought it rocked. I liked Gannondorf's Castle, too, but the Shadow Temple was the best. It had the cool drums that just kind of... tapped, over and over, slowly, but surely. And don't forget the drones of the voices...

Yum...

And yes, the Water Temple is a harrowing experience...

final fantasy is stinky
10-11-2006, 07:46 AM
Seriously I have never played either game but melorjas mask sounds cool from what you guyses descirbe. It gets my veto. :love:

Lone Wolf Leonhart
10-12-2006, 12:43 AM
I definately like Ocarina of Time better because I thought it was more challenging, in my opinion. I had alot of fun with that game and I have beaten it more times than I can count.

I liked majora's mask, transforming into different beings was cool but I don't like how you only had 3 days, and when you reset time you lost all of your ammunition and such.Except for Link and the Ocarina,and the great fairies, (and the familiar looking people), it just didn't seem like a Zelda game to me.

Definately OoT

Fire_Emblem776
10-12-2006, 04:12 AM

How i hated that temple -_-.

OOT rules ^_^

Shaun
10-12-2006, 01:29 PM
I think Ocarina of Time is better. I didn't even manage to complete Majora's Mask, but that says it all; I lost interest. I was constantly hooked with OoT.

Tifa's Real Lover(really
10-12-2006, 05:57 PM
its a matter of time until both of these games hit the ds

Roto13
10-12-2006, 10:37 PM
Nah. DS has been pretty good at avoiding the ports problem that the GBA had.

Markus. D
10-13-2006, 12:08 AM
Water Temple OoT boss was at least an awesome thing about that certain place. so it wasnt all bad there.

Giga Guess
10-13-2006, 02:01 AM
Nah. DS has been pretty good at avoiding the ports problem that the GBA had.

Not to mention controller issues. They'd have to reconfigure pretty much everything to accomodate the lack of a C-Pad/Stick.

Novaris
10-13-2006, 10:07 AM
OoT: Water temple was a toughie indeed but easy once you figured it all out. Shadow Temple was annoying too but the boss battle on the bongo drum was cool. Spirit temple was really good too. Mirror Shield, boss battle, humourous cut scene after the defeat. OoT just had that, spark, the fire that MM never had. MM was indeed very cool but OoT wins my vote.

Behold the Void
10-13-2006, 04:18 PM
I honestly didn't like Majora's mask because of the three-day mechanic and the save mechanic, both of which annoyed me to the point where I wasn't willing to play through the game.

Kind of like the sailing in Wind Waker.

Del Murder
10-14-2006, 07:19 AM
The Mask was fun an innovative, much more innovative than OoT, but in the end I like the epic story of Ganondorf and Zelda. You really can't tell that story enough times.

Giga Guess
10-14-2006, 03:57 PM
I honestly didn't like Majora's mask because of the three-day mechanic and the save mechanic, both of which annoyed me to the point where I wasn't willing to play through the game.

Kind of like the sailing in Wind Waker.

No....the sailing trumps the 3-day cycle any day.