PDA

View Full Version : Which spelling do you use?

starseeker
10-11-2006, 06:44 PM
Do you use American or Commonwealth spelling? Is it color or colour, favorite or favourite?
Or proper English or Americanese

I use Commonwealth spelling. I see American spelling as just plain wrong (to put it nicely)

Roto13
10-11-2006, 06:45 PM
Commonwealth mostly. Being Canadian and all. America is the only place that really uses American spelling. Because they like to be wrong. The same reason they don't use the metric system. Contrary-pants'.

Polaris
10-11-2006, 06:46 PM
I use colour :D

Misfit
Color/favorite kthx. :]

Shauna
I spell, the right way. :cool:

Commonwealth ftw.

bipper
10-11-2006, 06:47 PM
American. Anything less is, well, less! (P.S. We won teh revolution:P)

Madame Adequate
10-11-2006, 06:50 PM
I usually use American spellings. Unecessary 'u's are about as straight as marick, and the letter 'z' is clearly far superior to 's'.

Furthermore! Sidewalk is a better word than pavement, and soccer and football is much more convenient than football and American football. Plus. calling it soccer pisses people here off to no end :D

ps the metric system is gay as well.

Bunny
10-11-2006, 06:50 PM
American. I was raised speaking it and I do not see any problem with it at all. To say that the language I grew up on is 'wrong', simply because it differs from the Commonwealth spelling of various words, is offensive and ignorant.

bipper
10-11-2006, 06:51 PM
I usually use American spellings. Unecessary 'u's are about as straight as marick, and the letter 'z' is clearly far superior to 's'.

Furthermore! Sidewalk is a better word than pavement, and soccer and football is much more convenient than football and American football. Plus. calling it soccer pisses people here off to no end :D

Milf. I want to milf you like an animal.

Rainecloud
10-11-2006, 06:53 PM
All the U's in the English language are completely necessary. It makes the language more colourful.

I dislike the American way of spelling things.

~SapphireStar~
10-11-2006, 06:54 PM
Commonwealth, dont do American spelling.

Cz
10-11-2006, 06:55 PM
I spell things the English way. That's not to say that the American way is wrong, just that this was the way I was taught, and it's what I'm used to.

The American way is wrong, however. :p

RoxasLeonhart
10-11-2006, 06:56 PM
hey starseeker i really use both

XandrewX
10-11-2006, 07:00 PM
Mostly Commonwealth but sometimes in exam too nervous I'll add a little American :eep: what's 1337 anyway?

Dreddz
10-11-2006, 07:03 PM
The proper way.

My_car_is_faster_than_you
10-11-2006, 07:05 PM
I ususally try and use the commonwealth spelling (mother's canadian), but since I can't spell for crap, I don't know what actually comes out. It could be American, it could be Commonwealth, it could be wrong. :confused:

Jowy
10-11-2006, 07:13 PM
I'm a stupid American. Color, color, color.

sephirothishere
10-11-2006, 08:00 PM
colour.....

I Took the Red Pill
10-11-2006, 08:01 PM
American.

Flavor. Color. The.

Agent Proto
10-11-2006, 08:03 PM
I'm lazy. Who cares about the extra letters, or switching some letters?

Color > Colour
Theater > Theatre
Realize > Realise

Tavrobel
10-11-2006, 08:10 PM
American. But I occassionally use Commonwealth to piss off/suck up to my teachers.

As far as scientifics goes, I prefer the metric system, simply because I don't have to do any work. Moving the decimal place is only slightly less cumbersome than multiplying stuff by two.

Quindiana Jones
10-11-2006, 08:14 PM
I use the correct spelling of words.

bipper
10-11-2006, 08:33 PM

Correct is subjective to the jursidiction. You bieng wrong is, however, objective! ha! Colour that!

Quindiana Jones
10-11-2006, 08:39 PM

Correct is subjective to the jursidiction. You bieng wrong is, however, objective! ha! Colour that!

LOL GAY COLOUR.

American English is wrong. Jurisdiction can bite my ass. You want American? Speak whatever the hell the Natives spoke before you bastards wiped them out.

(Not you as in you, you as in the bastard English who went there, and then colonised. Bastard English.)

SammieBabe
10-11-2006, 08:48 PM

I Love You...:D

And besides, we're lazy and don't wanna switch. Old habits die hard...

Breine
10-11-2006, 09:05 PM
It varies. At school I use the English way of spelling, just because that's how we're told to do, but I'm sure that I sometimes mix in a little American here in the forums.

Vermachtnis
10-11-2006, 09:11 PM
I spell words with a u and my Geologist professor always points it out. It's funny.

oddler
10-11-2006, 09:44 PM
Commonwealth mostly. Being Canadian and all. America is the only place that really uses American spelling. Because they like to be wrong. The same reason they don't use the metric system. Contrary-pants'.

Americanese. But yeah, the whole not-using-metric thing is stupid. I think the 'u' is unnecessary, honestly.

ff7+ff10 gurl 100
10-11-2006, 09:46 PM
American. I'm just used to it. Thats what I was taught. :p

Iceglow
10-11-2006, 10:10 PM
Thanks to the fact that I worked on a game made by a french company where the interface for english was all written in american english I speak both and write both fluently (I speak american fluently due to my first serious g/f being american) but I kind of prefer to mix it up

~*~Celes~*~
10-11-2006, 11:35 PM
Well, I never used to spell things the commonwealth way, but lately I have been. Probably because of my boyfriend...he's British :p and so he spells things the commonwealth way. I went to spell favorite and I put favourite instead...funny ;)

Samuraid
10-12-2006, 03:08 AM
I use American spelling generally.

BardTard
10-12-2006, 03:15 AM
eh?

Decessus
10-12-2006, 03:25 AM
Commonwealth is for fruity people.

Psychotic
10-12-2006, 03:31 AM
My post in a thread of this nature two years ago still stands. (http://forums.eyesonff.com/showpost.php?p=831734&postcount=25)

It won me an "oddd" award from the now banned chu52, that's how good of a post it was!

Meat Puppet
10-12-2006, 03:32 AM
Much like Psychotic, I use a mixture of the two.

Spammerman
10-12-2006, 03:41 AM
American. Anything less is, well, less! (P.S. We won teh revolution:P)

Lionheart=pwnage
10-12-2006, 03:41 AM
I use the spelling that I was taught in school. If it looks right, then it is right. I love being American

Ryushikaze
10-12-2006, 04:28 AM
I spell it my way. If you disagree with it, you are wrong and are all horrible horrible people.

Among other things, this includes the desire for favorite and comfortable to have a spelling which sounds like they are casually spoken (EX: favrite and comftorble) among other certain demands.

farplaner
10-12-2006, 04:29 AM
British people are annoying. With all of their "proper" this and "proper" that. Get proper smurfed... :tongue: ...just kidding.

Go America!

rubah
10-12-2006, 04:34 AM
A year of keybouarding class cured me ouf any weirdou british spelling.

Yamaneko
10-12-2006, 04:39 AM
Any colour you like. But not really.

The Summoner of Leviathan
10-12-2006, 04:44 AM
Commonwealth mostly.

RiseToFall
10-12-2006, 04:46 AM
My favorite color is blue, don't you realize that?

Denmark
10-12-2006, 04:56 AM
sup america

but metric system should be used by america plz. except for cooking, because cups and teaspoons are easier than cubic centimeters. (yay for powers of two!)

Jebus
10-12-2006, 05:17 AM
I use both without even thinking.

Plus I think theatre looks better than theater, and all that.

*nods*

Madonna
10-12-2006, 05:34 AM
What, Americans speak American English and every other English-speaking country screws it up? Amazing!

It's not surprising.

Reles
10-12-2006, 07:03 AM
The American way of spelling looks right to me. Who decides what's wrong and what's right? Languages change over time, it's bound to happen.

I agree with Charlie though: theatre > theater.

Nominus Experse
10-12-2006, 07:33 AM
I use Commonwelath and American. Basically, it is my thoughts that I take what I presume to look best and feel more natural to me, and apply it to my writing and thoughts. Hence:

Colour
Favourite
Connection
Realize
Among friends I say football and mean soccer, but for those of whom I have not become acquanted with, I usually say soccer.
Etcetera etcetera etcetera....

Samuraid
10-12-2006, 08:08 AM
The place America has it wrong (as Denmark said) is the use of non-metric units. USA should really go metric.

Rusty
10-12-2006, 08:18 AM
Commonwealth and the metric system!

blackmage_nuke
10-12-2006, 08:22 AM
Sometimes i forget where the "u" goes and a write coulour

bipper
10-12-2006, 03:12 PM
Metric is retarded. Kilo this kilo that. Tis the speak of Drug Lords!

Resha
10-12-2006, 03:18 PM

"Sidewalk" is boring, unimaginative and not half as innovative as "pavement". :p As for soccer...Jesus Christ, no.

I use Commonwealth; u, s, football and metric. My MS Word didn't, but I've chided him and now he complies.

Mo-Nercy
10-12-2006, 03:22 PM
The Queen appears on my money, thus I speak Commonwealth.

Ryushikaze
10-12-2006, 03:39 PM

"Sidewalk" is boring, unimaginative and not half as innovative as "pavement". :p As for soccer...Jesus Christ, no.

I use Commonwealth; u, s, football and metric. My MS Word didn't, but I've chided him and now he complies.

Pavement is what you make a sidewalk and the road out of.

Madame Adequate
10-12-2006, 03:43 PM

Sidewalk makes me think of New York.

Pavement makes me think of a council estate full of chavs, lightly sprinkled with discarded cigarette butts/food/drugs.

Yeah... I guess pavement IS more interesting.

And soccer sure is a weird sport, huh? :jess:

black orb
10-12-2006, 04:02 PM
>>> I didnt know the differences until now, I guess I use the american spelling..

BTW, Sooner or later the metric system will take over the world, so you better change to it now..

bipper
10-12-2006, 04:22 PM
>>> BTW, Sooner or later the metric system will take over the world, so you better change to it now..

If you support the Metric System then you supprt the terrorists!

That's right world! We are comming for you next!

Peegee
10-12-2006, 04:35 PM
I have no idea any more but I think they spell english randomly in Hong Kong. It's spelled both americanese and commonwealthese.

Maybe because they have both american and english customers I dunno.

I personally spell everything english-like.

What colour do you want your bourdeur?

Yamaneko
10-12-2006, 05:12 PM
The place America has it wrong (as Denmark said) is the use of non-metric units. USA should really go metric.
It would probably cost billions of dollars to switch over. Software, hardware, education, etc.

starseeker
10-12-2006, 05:31 PM
It would probably cost billions of dollars to switch over. Software, hardware, education, etc.
And cos America has as little to do with the outside world as possible, there's no incentive.

bipper
10-12-2006, 05:58 PM
And cos America has as little to do with the outside world as possible, there's no incentive.

wat? We are not run by democrats yet.

Cz
10-12-2006, 07:54 PM
A lot of American changes are unecessary, but one thing they've got spot on is the word 'practice', as well as licence and words of that ilk. In England, we use -ice for the noun and -ise for the verb (Example: If you don't practise dentistry, you'll never get your own practice.) which is needlessly confusing. In America they just use -ice for both, which is much more sensible.

On the other hand, we're definitely on the right side of the -ise/-ize debate, since our suffixes are at least consistent throughout the language, unlike American English, which retains a number of -ise words while supposedly advocating the use of -ize. So we're right to chastise you for that one. :p

As for the big color/colour debate, I suppose it's a matter of personal preference. Although I don't understand the argument that 'color' eliminates unecessary letters. English is full of unecessary letters, and that's all part of its charm. Either start saying 'l8r' or leave our 'u's alone, thanks. :up:

~*~Celes~*~
10-13-2006, 01:55 AM
We have to learn about the metric system at my school anyway....

Reine
10-13-2006, 02:28 AM
It annoys me to no end seeing american english. Funnily enough, every single person I know in real life thinks exactly the same way about american english

Not only does it look entirely wrong, but it also changes pronounciation, at least, it looks like it does. Color looks like Cul-or, armor looks like ar-more, etc

Bu thats how I was raised, using proper english, so its only natural that I disapprove of american english

Araciel
10-13-2006, 02:58 AM
i'm canadian so i guess you could say i use a mix of both dialects

NorthernChaosGod
10-15-2006, 01:00 AM
American, the right way dammit.

We have about twenty-six hundred more nukes than anyone else so we make the rules. :cool:

Vincent, Thunder God
10-15-2006, 01:21 AM
In Canada we call Commonwealth spelling Canadian spelling, such as "colour" or "favourite" (there may actually be some variations only used in Canada), so I voted Commowealth.