PDA

View Full Version : Video Game Sales Charts

JKTrix
10-11-2006, 07:49 PM
This is a site I came across some time ago. It has the worldwide sales of most (if not every) game divided into 3 sectors: Japan, US and Other.

http://www.vgcharts.org/worldtotals.php

Front page of the site (http://www.vgcharts.org/welcome.php) which gives proper disclaimers and such.

Dreddz
10-11-2006, 07:57 PM
Well whaddya know, Nintendo are at the top. Isnt it funny how people post links to things in favour of Nintendo nowadays, Hmm...

JKTrix
10-11-2006, 08:09 PM
It's a database, you can arrange it however is possible.

Example, to show that Dragon Quest (http://www.vgcharts.org/worldtotals.php?name=dragon+quest&console=&publisher=&sort=Japan) is bigger than Final Fantasy (http://www.vgcharts.org/worldtotals.php?name=final+fantasy&console=&publisher=&sort=Japan) in Japan.

Just showing a fact. Though it's hard not to notice the Nintendo 'pwnage'.

Dreddz
10-11-2006, 08:13 PM
Well, at least your not as bad as Kentarou.

Roto13
10-11-2006, 08:24 PM
Hah. It's cute when dreddz insinuate's someone is a fanboy.

Sylvie
10-11-2006, 08:49 PM
Hypocricy is funny. I agree roto.

Dreddz
10-11-2006, 09:05 PM

Are you really in a position to say that ?

Madame Adequate
10-11-2006, 09:24 PM
Dude, Dreddz, wait, are you implying that statistical fact is a Nintendo fanboy? Because I'm really not a Ninty fan one bit, but that doesn't somehow make them less popular.

Dreddz
10-11-2006, 09:27 PM
Dude, Dreddz, wait, are you implying that statistical fact is a Nintendo fanboy? Because I'm really not a Ninty fan one bit, but that doesn't somehow make them less popular.

If those facts were in favour of Sony, I seriously doubt anyone on here would of posted this. The whole reason of this topic was to show how how badly Nintendo won in Video Game sales.

LunarWeaver
10-11-2006, 09:27 PM
Dude, he isn't gonna change game sales just to make Sony at the top :p I don't think this was a jab at Sony :(

This is an interesting read. I think I've seen it once before, but I'd forgotten most of it. I really wish I had invented Tetris.

Roto13
10-11-2006, 09:43 PM

If those facts were in favour of Sony, I seriously doubt anyone on here would of posted this. The whole reason of this topic was to show how how badly Nintendo won in Video Game sales.

So, what, we should all just pretend that Sony has always been on top and Nintendo hasn't had a ton of success? He posted it because it's a cool site. Stats = fun. Ask BoB. :P

Sylvie
10-11-2006, 09:49 PM

Are you really in a position to say that ?

Actually, yeah he is. You're criticizing someone for being a fanboy when you're a fanboy yourself.

Roto13
10-11-2006, 09:54 PM
He thinks I'm a fanboy because I don't like Xbox and I think the PlayStation 3 is going to do badly. So, yeah, maybe I am a little. :P

Dreddz
10-11-2006, 09:57 PM

So, what, we should all just pretend that Sony has always been on top and Nintendo hasn't had a ton of success? He posted it because it's a cool site. Stats = fun. Ask BoB. :P

Thats just it, people dont pretend Sony have always been on top, people hardly ever say anything good about the company anymore. Its apparantly "in" to hate Sony nowadays. Posting stuff like this is just taking another shot at their head.

This thread would only of made you and the Nintendo brotherhood feel good about themselves. Nothing else.

He thinks I'm a fanboy because I don't like Xbox and I think the PlayStation 3 is going to do badly. So, yeah, maybe I am a little. :P

Not really, its your extreme enthusiasm for everything Nintendo which Ive noticed over the time you've been here. You feed out of Nintendo's chicken feed more than anyone on this forum.

Sylvie
10-11-2006, 09:58 PM

Thats just it, people dont pretend Sony have always been on top, people hardly ever say anything good about the company anymore. Its apparantly "in" to hate Sony nowadays. Posting stuff like this is just taking another shot at their head.

This thread would only of made you and the Nintendo brotherhood feel good about themselves. Nothing else.

You're seriously, actually calling us fanboys?

Raebus
10-11-2006, 09:59 PM
He has a point, we should all feel good about ourselves, all of those who fancy a bit of nintendo. :thumb:

RiseToFall
10-11-2006, 10:04 PM
Definitely an interesting read JKTrix, though most is a bit predictable.

OMG, I actually posted something about the actual thread. Ban me now.

Dreddz
10-11-2006, 10:08 PM

You're seriously, actually calling us fanboys?

More or less.

Raebus
10-11-2006, 10:10 PM
Dreddz is actually hard to place. He shows interest in all 3 consoles, from what I've seen anyway.

Roto13
10-12-2006, 01:05 AM
The very fact that something pro-Nintendo (and something that's fact, not opinion) actually offends him shows that he's very much a fanboy.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
10-12-2006, 01:10 AM
I'm glad that's settled. Now you all can get back on topic!!!

Sephex
10-12-2006, 01:13 AM
No! We must mindlessly argue about bull**** and appear to be unbiased!

And I pretty much new everything in that link. Not suprising to me.

Psychotic
10-12-2006, 01:19 AM
Sure, you could look at these and say Nintendo are the Kings of gaming. Or you could look closer and Nintendo's domination of these stats comes from the GB, SNES and NES - all of them old consoles. If you only choose to look at the big three of this generation, the PS2, the Xbox and the GC, Sony gives them a real kicking.

You can choose to interpret statistics any way you like, so don't put too much stock into them. :)

Khaotic
10-12-2006, 01:20 AM

Not really, its your extreme enthusiasm for everything Nintendo which Ive noticed over the time you've been here. You feed out of Nintendo's chicken feed more than anyone on this forum.
You're being way over-dramatical, its ridiculous. Quit being so damn paranoid, I would've posted the stats to things as well, its an interesting table of stats, I could care less which company is at the top.

JKTrix
10-12-2006, 01:59 PM
Alright, I didn't mean to start a 'fanboy' arguement. There was nothing in either of my posts to suggest that it was a stab at Sony. If anything could have been considered slightly confrontational, it's the 'Dragon Quest vs Final Fantasy' thing that I've mentioned more than once on these forums before.

Perhaps it seems I'm a Nintendo fanboy. Maybe I am. I like to think I'm more of a 'fanboy' of good games. You may not have participated in topics where I've discussed such things, but I'm pretty passionate about Zone of the Enders (The Game I Will Immediately Get A PS3 For If It Existed) and the Virtua Fighter series, as well as the recent incarnation of Ninja Gaiden which was an Xbox game.

Nintendo comes up more often nowadays since they're simply more interesting--in a positive way.

I'm not one who would issue any kind of personal attack, especially against someone I don't know very well, so I don't expect any such criticisms to come my way either. I don't have a problem with what would appear to be teasing or playful jabs like Dreddz's first couple of posts in this space, but it appears he got a little defensive and called me out. There are always details that you don't know about someone, so such accusations will end up making you look like a fool should the accused choose to present such details aggressively.

The topic was designed as a reference, in case you do like charts and such. For example, I was interested to see how the first-week sales of Pokemon Diamond/Pearl compared to other games throughout recent history.
http://www.vgcharts.org/japwk.php

There's a lot of info on that site, it wasn't intended as ammo for a Nintendo firing squad.

ljkkjlcm9
10-12-2006, 02:11 PM
No one can put anything that clearly shows one company ahead of another or they are a fanboy. These statistics which show Nintendo at the top clearly proves Nintendo fanboyism, and if anyone says anything good about Sony, they're a Sony fanboy. You can't support anyone without being a fanboy.

Now my interest is, that the top "Super Mario Bros" is Super Mario Bros 1 and that it's the top game. Yes that is a surprise to me. I knew it sold well, but not that well... hmm

THE JACKEL

Erdrick Holmes
10-12-2006, 05:12 PM
The only time in console history where I felt Nintendo actually got beaten out was the 16 bit race between the Genesis and the SNES.

Sephex
10-12-2006, 05:15 PM
The only time in console history where I felt Nintendo actually got beaten out was the 16 bit race between the Genesis and the SNES.

That was true up untill 1994, when Nintendo overtook Sega in terms of sales and whatnot. I would proivide a link, but I can't find the 1up.com article that said this.

KentaRawr!
10-12-2006, 05:29 PM
Well, at least your not as bad as Kentarou.

What's that supposed to mean? :irked:

JKTrix
10-13-2006, 07:40 PM
I suppose I'll keep referencing this thread instead of making a new one.

Joystiq has the top US sales figures from September.

http://www.joystiq.com/2006/10/13/us-games-sales-see-38-growth-in-september/

Madden will be on top for a little while. It seems Pokemon is still quite popular in the US even with a mere spin-off game. The 2 games were released on Sep 18th, last 2 weeks of September. I forgot about Lego Star Wars, I should get that.

As for the hardware, looks like Xbox is really dropping off. The GC sold a heck of a lot more units. Randomly, GBA topped the PSP this month. Because of Pokemon?

Del Murder
10-14-2006, 06:49 AM
It's amazing that PS2 is still selling so many machines.

I'm not too surprised to see SMB as the top game of all time, but it wins by such a large margin. I would have thought games would be more popular and sell more now. Maybe it was due to the lack of selection during that time.

Oh and this 'you're only saying this because you're a fanboy' garbage is really lame. Grow up. People are fans of different systems. Who cares? There's nothing wrong with being brand loyal.