PDA

View Full Version : Final Fantasys Demise!

blade1001
10-12-2006, 12:42 AM
Hi all! Now dont get me wrong cos im a 100% Final Fantasy fan and own all of them from FFI to FFXI but it just seems to me that SquareEnix have just lost the plot!!!
Now without a doubt in my mind FFVII and FFVIII were the best two out of the whole franchise with FFVI and FFIX being close seconds but does no one else think that the whole originality of the game is slowly getting lost and the storylines are going downhill?
Final Fantasy 6, 7, 8 and 9 were amazing storylines i fort they got u involved in the game and were in most parts a challenge to complete fully, whereas X and X-2 were far too easy and the storylines sucked, they concentrated on getting the voiceovers done and the optimum graphics and 4got about everything else! As far as XI goes, Online Only! there are quite a number of mmorpgs out there now and this has got to be one of the worst! No PvP and it takes stupid amounts of time to make money at the start! Would you not have preferred another console based Final Fantasy?
I hope for Squares sake that FFXII is better than the last three, although im not sure about being able to move around the battlefield freely, more like a platform game!
I say that SquareEnix should go back to there roots (like when it was Squaresoft) what do you guys think???

RiseToFall
10-12-2006, 01:02 AM
To be honest, I though X had the best plot in the series.

My_car_is_faster_than_you
10-12-2006, 01:07 AM
We had a thread like this one strangely enough, exactly one month ago. Linky. (http://forums.eyesonff.com/showthread.php?t=92674&highlight=14+bust)

I agree, I think it's going downhill. I disliked X a bit, but still play it. The plot in X was the most confusing I thought.

Dragon Mage
10-12-2006, 01:10 AM
I agree with you 100%. SE is losing their touch. back to the good ol' days. X made me sick. If I hadn't played 7 after that, I wouldn't be here.

RiseToFall
10-12-2006, 01:20 AM
If Square went back to random encounters every 2 seconds and a story that included "go collect the crystals and save the world" and not much else I would be pissed off. I think they got better, much better, not worse.

This is from the other thread created by car, how can you not agree?

Bolivar
10-12-2006, 01:56 AM
I don't get your point... you said you like 6-9, and because one of the installmetns (unless you're really gonna classify X-2 and XI with the others) doesn't live up to your expectations the series has met its demise???

Give XII a chance.

LoKuS
10-12-2006, 04:10 AM
Don't play the new games then.

NINJA_Ryu
10-12-2006, 04:23 AM
what about FF IV? It was also very good!

I dont think that Square is majorly losing its edge, it might be a little slump, or try on something new, but the rebound is coming.

feioncastor
10-12-2006, 08:22 AM
If Square went back to random encounters every 2 seconds and a story that included "go collect the crystals and save the world" and not much else I would be pissed off. I think they got better, much better, not worse.

This is from the other thread created by car, how can you not agree?

Because the games referenced in that post (probably 1, 4 and 5, from what I know) were excellent games. I loved them. I play them all the time, still, and I still enjoy them. I wouldn't mind having another "collect the crystals" game. You don't see that anymore. Even so, FF6 had no crystal collecting (unless you count magicite, and I DON'T), and it was (IMO) the best of them all (excepting FFT, which actually is the best FF game ever.)

FFX was a bit too loopy, storywise. It's like Tidus isn't real. He's a dream. Zanarkand? He never lived there. He never played Blitzball there. But his dad Jecht was real. And he was one of Braska's guardians. But Jecht also lived in the fake Zanarkand with Tidus. And at the same time, must've lived in the real Spira too because he made one of those recordings where he acknowledges the existance of his son, Tidus. Oh, and Auron knows all the answers. But he's dead. And he refuses to ever actually answer any of Tidus's questions. He's just stands there and says things like "They called it Sin" as it's destroying the only city that Tidus has ever known, but it's okay because the city isn't real. And Tidus's dad is Sin. And when Sin attacked that fake dream Zanarkand, Auron was there, for some reason, even though it was only a dream world and Auron was a real guy. A real and dead guy. And when it did, it just sent Tidus into the real world. And then he meets some people on a boat, then gets attacked again, and ends up in Besaid, rather than in a different world, like the last time. And in Besaid, when they pray, they do the Blitzball victory sign which probably means that Blitzball and Yevon are related...

See what I mean? Sure, you can get it to all make sense if you go over it a few times, ask a few questions and such, but I played through the game, paid good attention, and by the end, I still didn't quite get it. I had a conversation with a friend that cleared up most of it. Even so, I didn't like the overcomplexity of the story.

Plus, with FFX, it's like you're watching a movie. You watch an FMV, then do a bit of gameplay, but the next time you talk to Wakka, BOOM! Screen fades out, and he tells you some stuff in FMV, then screen fades back in so you can talk to Yuna and watch the screen fade out again! Every now and then, you get to solve a Cloister of Trials place, or do some boss battle, or walk across a stupidly long field with a couple of random battles that never seem to give you the things you need to level up your stupid Sphere Grid.

And that's another thing. The Sphere Grid is the worst idea in leveling up, ever. Ever. I mean, what was wrong with the old "gain levels based on XP' thing? And if that was so awful, why not use the FF2/SaGa style of individual stat leveling based on what you did in the fight? I couldn't stand the Sphere Grid.

My girlfriend, who is only slightly into video games, saw me playing FFX for about 45 minutes one time, and said, "That games looks more like a movie with a few options".

Dang, she was right.

Back when FFVII came out, FMVS were a treat. You'd play and play, and then it would happen. The screen fades out, and everyone in the room just shuts the f*** up immediately. As the screen is fading back in, you quickly turn the volume up and watch as the weapons emerge from the Northern Crater or whatever, and then you get back into basic gameplay, and turn the volume back down, and say "Oh my god." to your friends.

In FFX, the FMVs felt more like a hinderance from me getting to play the game than a treat/reward for what I had just worked through. It's like everytime I thought I would get to play, I'd get interupted by an FMV.

vorpal blade
10-12-2006, 09:18 AM
I was the best in my German class. Straight A's on all of my work and the whole class knew it. The classmates sitting around me would keep telling me how good I was at it. Because of that, I felt a little pressure, like I had to get an A or else.
Perhaps SE feels this same pressure. After all the great games they've put out, they keep raising the bar, so they need to surpass that bar over and over again. You don't do that with the same, so they have to come out with new FF games with totally new features (case in point: the FFXIII games). If they returned to their roots, the critics might complain and SE's reputation might be damaged as a result.

And i generally like the innovations. I didn't have a big problem with the Sphere Grid, and I liked FFVII's relatively more scifi story. But I would like to see the "return to the roots" installment they attempted (with a little success, I feel) with FFIX. lease, give me an FF that's more like fantastic stories in FFI and FFV. It's a very simple plot, yes, but you can have a lot of fun with the characters, as demonstrated in FFV. I would love to see another "collect the crystals" title like the ones that made the series so popular. Not that I'm not gonna play FFXII or FFXIII because they're not.

blade1001
10-12-2006, 12:40 PM
Im still going to play FFXII and FFXIII but dont u think that instead of wasting time creating X-2 and XI Online, they would have made more fans happy by making XI a console installment to the series? I just think that they were more intrested in making a quick buck.
I never saw what the problem with the random battles was either, it was the random battles and the storylines that made Final Fantasy different to any other RPG!
I just think that SE are wasting too much time and money on games like Kingdom Hearts and Star Ocean which wernt bad, but the flagship is Final Fantasy! Invest in it!

Raebus
10-12-2006, 01:02 PM
Im still going to play FFXII and FFXIII but dont u think that instead of wasting time creating X-2 and XI Online, they would have made more fans happy by making XI a console installment to the series? I just think that they were more intrested in making a quick buck.
I never saw what the problem with the random battles was either, it was the random battles and the storylines that made Final Fantasy different to any other RPG!
I just think that SE are wasting too much time and money on games like Kingdom Hearts and Star Ocean which wernt bad, but the flagship is Final Fantasy! Invest in it!

Okay, okay you've just lost my respect. First you say "It was random battles and the storyline that made final fantasy different to other RPG's" HA, most rpg's use random battles, it isnt anything special.

Then you comment on them making games that arent final fantasy, oh man, I'd love to live in your world where the only rpg's that are released are final fantasy, final fantasy and more final fantasy.

Frozen Phantom
10-12-2006, 01:06 PM
Origionally bespoken byBlade 1001

I just think that SE are wasting too much time and money on games like Kingdom Hearts

*pulls off glove and slaps Blade1001* I CHALLENGE YOU TO A DUEL

KH is a great game...and if you mess with KH, you mess with me
AND I DONT THINK YOU WANT TO MESS WITH ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

good day to you sir :mad:

blade1001
10-12-2006, 01:29 PM
I never said that KH was cr*p or anything i just meant that FF was more successful and therefore made them more money! In Europe the last 1/2 decent FF was in 2002 (FFX) thats nearly 5 years ago, is it not time that XII was released at long last, cos XI and X-2 were rubbish.

Yea ok some other RPGs may use random battles but the point is if you do away with them in Final Fantasy then you are gunna be losing a major part of the game that has been seen in them all from the beginning!

Raebus
10-12-2006, 01:34 PM
Personally, I appreciate games like KH for not being ff games, something thats more entertaining to me.

As for the "Take away random battles and lose a major part of ff" I'm getting sick of random battles, heck I'm sure MOST people are getting sick of random battles. So what if you take away random battles? It isnt an important part of ff, the storys/visuals are what make ff entertaining. Which is why I'm looking forward to ff 12.

RiseToFall
10-12-2006, 02:35 PM

If they focused only on FF then we would have one coming out every single year like Madden. FF would then lose all it's credibility and just be some franchise that's just updated all the time. Plus if Square never branched out we would never receive such amazing titles such as Xenogears (one of my favorite RPG's ever), it would just be so bland.

I do agree with you on FF XII and the fact that it took them nearly 5 years to get a new single player FF out on the market. But the biggest reason for that is not the fact that they were focused on other games, it's because FF XII had major development trouble's. I beleive the director passed out and had to be hospitalized because of over exaustion, eventually to be replace by a different person altogether.

Let Square do what they do best, and that's create amazing RPG's for all of us to enjoy.

f f freak
10-12-2006, 10:48 PM
I'd just like to add that I like the idea of removing the random battles. It is better than coming out of a cave where you have just beat a boss and have no healing items or magic or anything to heal. You run into a random battle. Ooops you are dead. But if they are not random and you can see the monsters then you will be able to avoid them and get to a town or wherever so you can save and heal yourself.

Cruise Control
10-12-2006, 11:47 PM
I do agree with you on FF XII and the fact that it took them nearly 5 years to get a new single player FF out on the market. But the biggest reason for that is not the fact that they were focused on other games, it's because FF XII had major development trouble's. I beleive the director passed out and had to be hospitalized because of over exaustion, eventually to be replace by a different person altogether.
And at one point, they just scrapped it and started over.

EDIT:
why not use the FF2/SaGa style of individual stat leveling based on what you did in the fightBecause it was incredibly irritating. Stat levelling was a chore not something that happened on its own.

Now I like the sphere grid. Generally you get a certain type of sphere in an area. This is to prevent your from AP farming, since you'll quickly run out of other spheres.

10-13-2006, 01:28 AM
I really think that SE should drop FF at XIV or XV and start a new series.

No random encouters would be swell, and I'm all for it. Real time fighting would be fun also, or real time events. The making use of older characters (like Tellah, Cyan, and Cid) would be nice to see. I mean, sure, there's Auron or Steiner, but the main people are always 18. Anyway, we'll see what happens.

BustaMo
10-13-2006, 03:01 AM

No more else can be said on my part. Short and sweet right there.

bipper
10-13-2006, 04:59 AM

No more else can be said on my part. Short and sweet right there.

X sucked. The stories went from slightly deep to hollywood style fodder. I liked em when they were more Bookesque vs moviesque. VI was the pinacle of the story.

But it wont matter much ocne korea nukes us, now will it?

10-13-2006, 05:42 AM
X really did suck, and if Lulu wasn't so gothically mysteriously hot, I would have stopped played right at the beginning. I really hated this game the first time through, and the second time was only okay. Enough to finish the story and a few side quests that is.

Now I'm playing VI (not to mimic you bipper), also playing IV at the same time. Both are way better games, 2D and all.

boys from the dwarf
10-13-2006, 05:24 PM
not this again,again and again for about the 4th time.

just because square made one or two bad games doesn't mean the whole company is dieing. its an ignorant rumour at best.

my opinion on FFX. it was there first FF with voice and for PS2. it had a good storyline and it wasn't aweful. only a few of the characters interested me and i think the reason the story didn't impress me much is because of how it was scripted and the gameplay itself can be a little dull but this isn't enough proof to say that square is ruined. in fact, i think some people seem to hate it without even thinking.

sure. FFX-2 was pretty pointless and for an FF is wasn't that good but vivi_ultima has played FF12 and rates it very highly and loads of people are looking forwards to it and have high hopes and wont be dissapointed. square will not screw up on this one.

Dell
10-13-2006, 06:24 PM
not this again,again and again for about the 4th time.

just because square made one or two bad games doesn't mean the whole company is dieing. its an ignorant rumour at best.

my opinion on FFX. it was there first FF with voice and for PS2. it had a good storyline and it wasn't aweful. only a few of the characters interested me and i think the reason the story didn't impress me much is because of how it was scripted and the gameplay itself can be a little dull but this isn't enough proof to say that square is ruined. in fact, i think some people seem to hate it without even thinking.

sure. FFX-2 was pretty pointless and for an FF is wasn't that good but vivi_ultima has played FF12 and rates it very highly and loads of people are looking forwards to it and have high hopes and wont be dissapointed. square will not screw up on this one.

Really, boys from the dwarf is the best member of EoFF.
Cheers for him! :choc2: Fly the CHOCOBO!

I agree with his post. Yeah, I hate FFX too but I recongized it as a good game. But I think FFX-2 was a great addition to FFX, yeah, I like good ending.

Yes, FFXII IS PERFECT!! FFVI have to climb Mount Everest in order to beat this. I never get bored playing it! Except when I'm defeated and get a Game Over and have to do it all over again. :mad2:

bipper
10-13-2006, 06:55 PM
Yes, FFXII IS PERFECT!! FFVI have to climb Mount Everest in order to beat this.

That made me wet. I hate the Kingdom Heart-esque battle system though. :(

Dell
10-13-2006, 07:18 PM

Well, I don't like the battle system as well because I have to do all of the things at the same time. But once you get to used of it, you'll be fine. :)

What's more important is their story. 50 TIMES BETTER THAN FFVI. I like FFVI's story and I like this story 50x. <3
People have different opinions, anyway.
Like you GOES and I GOAT.

bipper
10-13-2006, 07:43 PM

Well, I don't like the battle system as well because I have to do all of the things at the same time. But once you get to used of it, you'll be fine. :)

What's more important is their story. 50 TIMES BETTER THAN FFVI. I like FFVI's story and I like this story 50x. <3
People have different opinions, anyway.
Like you GOES and I GOAT.

It's GOET! :p I am definately gonna give it a shot. :)

10-13-2006, 07:50 PM
Well, regarding FF's, I thought the last 4 releases were not all that great. 8.9.10.10-2 (was fun, I like it), but not my favorite.

I guess it's all on perspective and how well things sell that determines the proceeding of the series.

boys from the dwarf
10-13-2006, 09:00 PM
FF 8 and 9 were two favourites of mine but i wont discuss or debate against your own personal opinions.

10-2 in my opinion was a good and fun game but it lacked what made a lot of FFs great. its also pretty easy which makes it sort of boring. i remember one day for a challenge i beat FFX-2 twice in one day. i dont know what i was thinking. it has good replayablility though.

im looking forwards to the changes and differences on FF12. im sure they'll be interesting and if vivi_ultima liked it so much i think a lot of us will enjoy it too. but like i said in my last post. the company isn't dieing. thats just an ignorant rumour.

Dell
10-14-2006, 07:42 AM
im looking forwards to the changes and differences on FF12. im sure they'll be interesting and if vivi_ultima liked it so much i think a lot of us will enjoy it too. but like i said in my last post. the company isn't dieing. thats just an ignorant rumour.

I vote you for the Best Member this end-year Ciddies.

If you want a great story, play FFT. And FFT story writer do FFXII story, so you see. *^&^*

bipper, GOES is better.

RiseToFall
10-14-2006, 07:54 AM
If you want a great story, play FFT.

From what I heard FFT had a plot that no one would be able to understand. (Only rented the game when it was released and found out that I dont like SRPG's.)

Though from what I heard of the story so far (for FF XII) I'm really excited to see how it will come out. Not to mention the fact that I think Basch is a badass looking character, and I really want to know why they call him a traitor.

Dell
10-14-2006, 07:59 AM
If you want a great story, play FFT.

From what I heard FFT had a plot that no one would be able to understand. (Only rented the game when it was released and found out that I dont like SRPG's.)

Though from what I heard of the story so far (for FF XII) I'm really excited to see how it will come out. Not to mention the fact that I think Basch is a badass looking character, and I really want to know why they call him a traitor.

He's a badass? I don't think so. He's another emo IMO. He just have the best strength out of all 6 characters.

RiseToFall
10-14-2006, 08:03 AM
He's a badass? I don't think so. He's another emo IMO. He just have the best strength out of all 6 characters.

Hey, I only said he looked badass, once I play it, then my perception of him may change.

Oh, and thanks for the sig compliment in the other thread.;)