PDA

View Full Version : Which FF game has the worst music overall?

Vincent, Thunder God
10-12-2006, 01:29 AM
This is the follow-up to my thread "Which FF Game has Your Favourite Music?" Now you are asked the opposite... which game has the worst music overall? The poll has the same list as last time; I've only added one which I was mentioned as a suggestion after I had completed the last poll, Dirge of Cerebus.

This is, of course, very difficult to choose. I haven't played some of the later FFs, but I have sampled some of the music I missed through downloads. Overall I think FF 10-2 had the worst.

Cruise Control
10-12-2006, 01:40 AM
Final Fantasy 8. God, what a steaming pile of /xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif!

nik0tine
10-12-2006, 01:43 AM
X-2, obviously.

Psychotic
10-12-2006, 01:46 AM
X or X-2.

Rainecloud
10-12-2006, 07:21 AM
X-2.

The whole soundtrack contains a total of three good songs.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
10-12-2006, 07:33 AM
FFVIII by far. It wouldn't have been any more boring if they'd just set the entire game to a single continuous droning noise.

Nifleheim7
10-12-2006, 07:40 AM
FFX-2.
But it has 2-3 songs that really stand out.

blackmage_nuke
10-12-2006, 09:01 AM
X-2, I dont see whats wrong with VIII...

Cruise Control
10-12-2006, 10:57 AM
It sucks. There isn't a single good song. Actually there are two. And Maybe I'm a Lion isn't one of them.

Raebus
10-12-2006, 11:01 AM
FF8 Soundtrack = Great

Imo, the number of catchy songs is greater than most ff soundtracks. :)

Edit: Mr. Nosebleed, thats just your opinion. Put a "I think it.../Imo" in the sentence.

The worst = FF 10-2.

XandrewX
10-12-2006, 11:26 AM
X-2 The battle theme is poor..But the 1000 words is not bad...

Sefie1999AD
10-12-2006, 05:29 PM
The worst = FF 10-2.

Raebus: That's just your opinion. Put an "I think it... / IMHO" in the sentence. :D I kind of liked FFX-2's soundtrack since the music worked pretty well in the game, and I once counted the amount of songs I considered either good or excellent, and FFX-2 had more of them than FFX did, even though FFX-2 soundtrack has a lot less songs than FFX's.

As for my least favorite FF soundtrack, I can't say FF: MQ, FFTA, FFCC or FFVII DoC since I haven't played those games much, if at all (although I have the soundtrack for DoC). It's a tough choice between FFII and FFX since I think some of the songs in FFX are better than the ones in FFII, but I also think FFX has more sub-par songs than FFII. If we're including FFII Origins (or DoS) vs. FFX soundtrack, I think FFII has the better soundtrack. Otherwise, FFX soundtrack is better, IMHO.

LunarWeaver
10-12-2006, 06:12 PM
Final Fantasy I :(

Cruise Control
10-12-2006, 09:13 PM
Edit: Mr. Nosebleed, thats just your opinion. Put a "I think it.../Imo" in the sentence.
Two things:
1) I would rather have my balls removed than say IMHO
2) It's a forum, the only thing people say is their opinion, but apparently we're all wrong. I blame The Staff for not telling us to use "I think" before posting (I think).

Slothy
10-12-2006, 09:32 PM
Not counting spin-offs and sequels: FFVIII

Counting spin-offs and sequels: FFVIII and FFX-2

I like FFVIII's soundtrack a lot more than X-2's to be honest, but since Uematsu wasn't involved on that one, I wasn't surprised at the lack of quality tunes. On the other hand, Uematsu managed to follow up FFVI and VII with the tripe in FFVIII, and although there are some excellent songs and some good ones, most are well below the standard Uematsu set in the past, and immediately after in FFIX. I can forgive him for only having that one real stumble in the series history, but I can't forgive the soundtrack itself. I've heard more interesting elevator music in a lot of cases.

Zeromus_X
10-12-2006, 09:40 PM
I would have to say Final Fantasy X-2. There were a handful of good tunes, but most of them just plain weren't appealing (let's not get started on that battle theme).

But I did enjoy that little pop song at the beginning.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
10-12-2006, 09:51 PM
Edit: Mr. Nosebleed, thats just your opinion. Put a "I think it.../Imo" in the sentence.Opinions are self-evident. Prefacing each one with "I think" would be redundant.

Ashley Schovitz
10-12-2006, 10:01 PM
FFVII of course has the worst.

rubah
10-12-2006, 10:24 PM
I'm inclined to agree with Ashley. Barring a few songs (Who Are You?) the vast majority of ff7's soundtrack didn't appeal to me.

X-2's wasn't technically good by most means, but it did an excellent job at setting the mood, and I want to overlook it.

Vincent, Thunder God
10-12-2006, 11:29 PM

I'm inclined to agree with Ashley. Barring a few songs (Who Are You?) the vast majority of ff7's soundtrack didn't appeal to me.

X-2's wasn't technically good by most means, but it did an excellent job at setting the mood, and I want to overlook it.

Really?!?

Certainly it wasn't the best, but it had a lot of good tracks. I'm surprised that anyone could find it better than 10-2's soundtrack. I agree that 10-2's soundtrack was somewhat more ambient and perhaps set the mood more readily, as rubah said, but still...

I'm quite surprised anyone would think 7 had the worst.

boys from the dwarf
10-14-2006, 10:57 AM
id say FFX had a lot of annoying tunes that just got repetitive and FFX-2 had very few good tunes and FF7 had some pretty aweful stuff but not as bad as as some people say it is in my opinion.

my vote goes to FFX-2.

Markus. D
10-16-2006, 06:47 AM
Final Fantasy 1 :]

Xaven
10-16-2006, 07:38 AM
Final Fantasy VII is the worst, of course. :D

I'm particularly fond of VIII's OST. I really like the sound engine used and the general style throughout.

Peter_20
10-16-2006, 11:10 AM
Final Fantasy I :(What? :eek:
FF1 has got some of the best tunes, ffs!
Matoya the Witch, Gurgu Volcano, Final Dungeon Theme, Game Over Theme...

However, FF8 is the worst one: the only songs I really like are the perfomances at the ball and Eyes On Me.

FF_Chick
10-16-2006, 05:51 PM
FF2, 7, and 10-2.

FF2's music is too basic. WAY too basic, compared to FF3's.
FF7's is annoying as heck. I'm not a fan of annoying music.
10-2 is self explanitory, I hope.

ama124
10-19-2006, 12:35 AM
FFVII is the worst. Because i say so :)

I'm suprised many people do not like VIII, a great soundtrack in my opinon.

X was awesome
X-2, i like it but next to the other FF soundtracks it does not compare

My_car_is_faster_than_you
10-19-2006, 01:10 AM
I thought X was a whole lot of not good. X-2 was at least catchy in some areas.

Prancing Mad
10-19-2006, 02:48 AM
10 had mostly awful with AMAZING highlights. Decisive battle sends shivers down my spine (not because of the boss you're facing of course). I like Challenge as well, and umm a few here and there the summon beast battle's good too. Some of the world music was awful though. Ewww Besaid world's music

Cledarius
10-19-2006, 04:59 PM
FF X-2 has the worst.

Second is FF IX.

boys from the dwarf
10-19-2006, 08:18 PM
2's has a few good tracks and the pandamonium tune and the one that plays when you fight ultima weapon in SoR are good ones but i agree that its pretty dull.

Vermachtnis
10-21-2006, 01:45 AM
X-2 and VIII are tied for terriblenisity in my book. Luguna's Random Encounter theme (Man with a Gun???) and 1000 Words are the only tracks I liked.

Dark_Mage_Palom
10-26-2006, 06:10 AM
I havn't played (and prob won't ever play) FFVII: DoC but I'm sure the music is just as bad as FFX-2 god it sucked

FFXII isn't that great and XIII will prob stink to now that Nobuo uematsu is gone :(

feioncastor
10-26-2006, 10:07 AM
I couldn't stand most of the FFX music. Especially considering that it was mostly just the one song (Hymn of the Fayth). I've never played X-2, but from what I know of it, I'd probably dislike it as well. Meh, maybe not... I dunno.

But I do know that I didn't like the music in FFX.

BTW, who does their music now? Is it still Nobuo Uematsu? Because I'd expect a little better outta that guy than what FFX delivered. I know that they can't all be masterpieces like FF6 was, but it still could've been good.

Disco Potato
11-09-2006, 12:38 AM
I liked X-2's music the least, but it's the only FF game I've played where I haven't gotten completely sick of the battle theme by the end :p

BTW, who does their music now? Is it still Nobuo Uematsu? Because I'd expect a little better outta that guy than what FFX delivered. I know that they can't all be masterpieces like FF6 was, but it still could've been good.

I think he did a few songs in that game, but definitely not all of them. I think he's working independently now (from what I remember from reading these forums :p)

Roto13
11-09-2006, 12:55 AM
Whoever said Crystal Chronicals is deaf and retarded.

rubah
11-09-2006, 03:13 AM

Really?!?

Certainly it wasn't the best, but it had a lot of good tracks. I'm surprised that anyone could find it better than 10-2's soundtrack. I agree that 10-2's soundtrack was somewhat more ambient and perhaps set the mood more readily, as rubah said, but still...

I'm quite surprised anyone would think 7 had the worst.

I can name you about three songs from ff7's soundtrack. That's the mark of a bad soundtrack.

(I can't even give you the proper name for don corneo's song except that is was probably the best song in the entire game and my favorite)

Also, anyone who doesn't like The Oath needs to be sent to orchestral music appreciation school :mad2:

feioncastor
11-09-2006, 08:07 AM
At what point in what game will I hear "The Oath" so I can determine if I need some schoolin?

rubah
11-09-2006, 10:03 PM
It's either when Cid announces that Squall is Garden's new leader or that Squall is giving his speech about fighting Galbadia Garden. These may be the scene, but it plays when going over the Garden looking at the reactions of all the people.

Cruise Control
11-09-2006, 10:13 PM
I can't remember if I mentioned FF8 is garbage. With a few exceptions.

Abd FF6 was not my definition of a masterpiece, I only like 4 songs of that.

Tina
New Continent
Decisive Battle
Save Them

Sefie1999AD
11-10-2006, 04:48 PM
Also, anyone who doesn't like The Oath needs to be sent to orchestral music appreciation school :mad2:

Anyone who thinks the in-game version of The Oath is played by a live orchestra needs to be sent to orchestral music appreciation school. :p It's fully synthesized (the version in FLWV album is orchestrated, though). Anyway, the Oath is played in various parts of the game, such as: (*SPOILERS!*)

1) Squall is rescued from his torture chamber at the beginning of Disc 2
2) Squall makes his speech to the students of Balamb Garden just before they ram Balamb Garden into Galbadia's Garden at the end of Disc 2 (this is an amazing scene!)
3) Squall and others break into the Sorceress Memorial to free Rinoa
4) Fujin and Raijin decide to quit working for Seifer at the end of Disc 3.

Goldenboko
11-10-2006, 11:56 PM

Alright where's this school... appearently I need to go to it.

Cruise Control
11-11-2006, 03:27 AM
Also, anyone who doesn't like The Oath needs to be sent to orchestral music appreciation school
A) It's synth rubah
B) Goldenboco, do you even have ears?

Everit
11-14-2006, 06:27 AM
I would have to say Final Fantasy VII

I am a composer myself, and final fantasy x-2 did a good job of capturing the emotion of the game, yet Final Fantasy VII made it feel too out there and left the listener (in my opinion) numb to feel what was going on in the character's mind or heart. Therefore, I would have to say that Final Fantasy VII has some of lesser (but not worse because I love Uematsu's work) qualities of the music he's written.

Final Fantasy VIII has been hailed as possibily the best soundtrack he's ever written (conflicts with Final Fantasy VI), yet I'm surprised so many people do not like it.

Darkja
11-14-2006, 04:38 PM
i own all ost's, and the only one i've never really gotten into is ffx-2.
i'm not sure why people are hating on vii's soundtrack, i thought it went along great with the game. definetly unique stuff.

/

Seifer
11-16-2006, 08:43 PM
FINAL FANTASY XII FINAL FANTASY XII FINAL FANTASY XII FINAL FANTASY XII

Holy crap this game probably has the worst soundtrack of any game ever. (Along with Tactics and Vagrant Story.) I can't remember any of the music whatsoever, while I can remember at least several tracks from every Final Fantasy including X-2. I can remember almost every track from FFVI and beyond. But not any of XII. Christ almighty.

Everit
11-16-2006, 10:25 PM
Maybe because the game just came out about two weeks ago?

I, myself, like the Final Fantasy XII soundtrack, a lot. It has a lot of different elements that I've never heard Uematsu use, and it uses a large variety of instruments (even though I know they're synthesizers.).

Seifer
11-17-2006, 03:33 PM
Maybe because the game just came out about two weeks ago?

No, I've been through the better part of the game and...yeah, nothing stands out. I just don't like the composer's style, and I never really have. There's not enough melody.

rubah
11-20-2006, 02:35 AM

Anyone who thinks the in-game version of The Oath is played by a live orchestra needs to be sent to orchestral music appreciation school. :p It's fully synthesized (the version in FLWV album is orchestrated, though). Anyway, the Oath is played in various parts of the game, such as: (*SPOILERS!*)

1) Squall is rescued from his torture chamber at the beginning of Disc 2
2) Squall makes his speech to the students of Balamb Garden just before they ram Balamb Garden into Galbadia's Garden at the end of Disc 2 (this is an amazing scene!)
3) Squall and others break into the Sorceress Memorial to free Rinoa
4) Fujin and Raijin decide to quit working for Seifer at the end of Disc 3.

Also, anyone who doesn't like The Oath needs to be sent to orchestral music appreciation school
A) It's synth rubah
B) Goldenboco, do you even have ears?
Seeing how the FLWV version is the only one I have with me, I wouldn't be talking about anything less :p

maybe that's why some of you guys don't like it. Seriously. Check it out. #11 http://www.amazon.com/Final-Fantasy-VIII-Fithos-Vinosec/dp/B00003WGBZ

Everit
11-20-2006, 06:44 AM
FFVII is the worst. Because i say so :)

I'm suprised many people do not like VIII, a great soundtrack in my opinon.

X was awesome
X-2, i like it but next to the other FF soundtracks it does not compare

I like you. You think just like me :P lol

Vivisteiner
11-20-2006, 07:32 PM
Good FFVIII tracks=
Don't be afraid
find your way
The man with the machine gun
Fishermans Horizon
Ride on
The Castle
Movin
succession of witches
the successor
fithos lusec wecos vinosec

Good FFVII tracks=
Tifa's theme
Barett's theme
Turk's theme
Red XIII's theme
Rufus welcoming ceremony
Costa del Sol
Cait Siths theme
Cid's theme
Aerith's theme
Main theme
Sandy Badlands

Both games have good music.

Although the best music is in FFIX.:p

Holy Lancer
11-20-2006, 11:15 PM
FF 10-2 has the worst. FF 12 didn't impress me. FF 9 and 10 have the best music though.

Takara
11-23-2006, 03:19 AM
FFX's soundtrack didn't impress me much.

Everit
11-23-2006, 08:29 PM
I can't wait for FF XIII Versus :cool:

check who's doing that music.

oh yeah :P

Avarice-ness
11-23-2006, 08:50 PM
FFXII has good music.. if FFXII was an MMORPG. Saddly, unlike all the older FF games it seems that when an FF game is made on a console higher than a playstation, all the music gets pushed into the background. There are some points even in FFX when I don't even notice the music, I guess it's because... Well I'm not sure, but they need stop with the whole really almost silent background music, Music used to be dominate, now it seems to not be. :(

Kawaii Ryűkishi
11-23-2006, 08:54 PM
That's an odd complaint. I constantly find myself getting absorbed in the music while playing FFXII.

Avarice-ness
11-23-2006, 11:05 PM
That's an odd complaint. I constantly find myself getting absorbed in the music while playing FFXII.

I dunno, Maybe it's because of my playing Guild Wars but most of everything about FFXII, even the music, just doesn't feel right. :(

Reine
11-27-2006, 07:36 AM
Personally, I found FFX-2's music mostly dreadful, next to that, FFVII's, and then FFV's. Im looking forward to hearing the FFVA versions of the soundtrack though

chionos
11-29-2006, 01:58 AM
You let me off the hook by adding FFVII: DOC. I didn't want to have to choose between FFVIII and FFX-2.
I'm happy that neither VI nor IX have gotten any votes.

Trance_Kuja
12-02-2006, 03:08 PM
FF X-2 has the worst.

Second is FF IX.
Final Fantasy IX has THE best music are you crazy or something! Worst is X-2, but i like the vocal songs. Best Tracks from all final fantasy games are: Memory of the wind (main theme of ff3), Melodies of Life (main theme of ff9), One winged angel (last boss fight music well second to last), Prelude (If you do not know this you are not a final fantasy fan) and Dark Messenger (second to last boss fight in ff9 and my favourite track).

Simen
12-02-2006, 06:02 PM
FFX's soundtrack didn't impress me much.

Why not? I LOVE the music from that game! Very nice songs.
You gotta love songs like "Path of Repentance", "To Zanarkand",
"Lulu's Theme", "Sight of Spira", "Someday the dream will end", etc.

As for the thread, I've only played VI, VII, IX, X and X-2, but I voted for FF 10-2. That one will win!

Edit by Kishi: Don't double-post.

Dreddz
12-05-2006, 07:17 PM
FFVIII or FFXII. Both disappointing.